Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Just be careful which order you watch it in. Lol

I haven't seen Babylon 4 will that matter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

True, look up a viewing guide, watching the tv movie things first would ruin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I haven't seen Babylon 4 will that matter.

Very few have, since it vanished.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Very few have, since it vanished.

Bravo. This made my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Have managed to catch the odd episode of DS9 on one of the chanels over here recently, late season 5. It really is quality.

"Brunt, FCA"
    :)

The Ferengi stories that are dropped in throughout it are gold

• Advertisement

Have managed to catch the odd episode of DS9 on one of the chanels over here recently, late season 5. It really is quality.

"Brunt, FCA"
    :)

The Ferengi stories that are dropped in throughout it are gold

100%.

Brunt is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It wasn't until recently that I realised Jeffrey Combs played both Brunt and Weyoun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

It wasn't until recently that I realised Jeffrey Combs played both Brunt and Weyoun.

He really is a talented actor. He also plays the andorian Shran from Enterprise. And Prent in Voyager

Just watching season 3 episode 17 "visionary".

Very good episode.

Notes:

Starfleet intelligence are aware that there are three Klingon spies on ds9, while there is a Romulan delegation on board and don't inform Sisko et all.

Klingon spies!

O'Brien stands up for the suicide mission without even batting an eye! Fairplay.

Dartboard introduced.

O'Brien still goes to bed, in his Jim jams no less despite knowing the station is going to explode.

O'Briens Jim jams are a magenta dress with calf lenght boots.

There are Romulans knocking about, and a quantum singularity orbiting the station, and nobody immediately realises it's a cloaked warbird.

Several characters mix up hypothesis and theory.

O'Brien says "twenty outer-ring" instead of "double-top".

No mention at all of temporal prime directive. The crew immediately use time travel to gain information from the future and alter the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

There are many articles floating about explaining why DS9 is the best Star Trek series, but here's a newly published one...

http://io9.gizmodo.com/deep-space-nine-is-star-treks-best-world-because-its-t-1786060432

• Advertisement

Something I absolutely forgot was how Gul Dukat was actually allied with DS9 to an extent and even liked. I loved the episode where Kira and he are trying to free his daughter and he sits on something sharp and just the laughter afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

S4 EP22 - To The Death

Omet'iklan: I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember: victory is life.

Jem'Hadar: Victory is life!

Weyoun: Such a delightful people.

O'Brien: I am Chief Miles Edward O'Brien. I am very much alive, and I intend to stay that way.

I love O'Briens line here, totally serious but in a slapstick way. Great episode too showing mutual respect between Sisko and the Jem Hadar soldiers going after rebels and the iconian gateway.

Just finished watching Trials & Tribulations, where they go back in time to Kirk and it really was such a technological wonder for the time - it does seem pretty seamless between the old footage and what DS9 was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I always think that Gul Dukat looks like Mitt Romney.

For me the series was made by odo and Garrak, well especially Garrak. His highly intelligent , sometimes camp interjections were always of some amusement. I love the scene where he was invited into a private meeting with Cisco to measure a suit, deliberately, so he could overhear and leak information.

I was sorry that when I watched it I only did so in drips and drabs, but I had a hectic social life at the time, so I lost the plot, so to speak.

I recall that I was disappointed that that woman was re-embodied in the last series. There was no substance to her character at all thus it was a bit hard to accept her as a serious character.

PS. Gonna watch T&T now , never seen it.

Edit: So funny and nostalgic. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

learn_more wrote: »
    I always think that Gul Dukat looks like Mitt Romney.

For me the series was made by odo and Garrak, well especially Garrak. His highly intelligent , sometimes camp interjections were always of some amusement. I love the scene where he was invited into a private meeting with Cisco to measure a suit, deliberately, so he could overhear and leak information.

I was sorry that when I watched it I only did so in drips and drabs, but I had a hectic social life at the time, so I lost the plot, so to speak.

I recall that I was disappointed that that woman was re-embodied in the last series. There was no substance to her character at all thus it was a bit hard to accept her as a serious character.

PS. Gonna watch T&T now , never seen it.

Edit: So funny and nostalgic. Loved it.

Oh man Garak is a legend, my fav ep with him was when him, Bashir, Worf and Martok were trapped on a prison asteroid and then you learn of Garak's vunerabilities, the first crack in an otherwise steely exterior.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Oh man Garak is a legend, my fav ep with him was when him, Bashir, Worf and Martok were trapped on a prison asteroid and then you learn of Garak's vunerabilities, the first crack in an otherwise steely exterior.

That is an unbelievable (couple of?) episode(s).

I never understood why they replaced the Dax character. It didn't make sense to bring in an entirely new person just for a single season, which isn't anywhere near enough time to introduce them fully, especially when they are filling in such big shoes that was left.

It might have been much better if they had left that space empty, with the station having to cope with it.

Something that was completely lost on me is just how good Colm Meaney was as O'Brien. The episode, especially, where he is made to believe he was a prisoner for 20 years, really shows off his acting chops.

I never understood why they replaced the Dax character. It didn't make sense to bring in an entirely new person just for a single season, which isn't anywhere near enough time to introduce them fully, especially when they are filling in such big shoes that was left.

It might have been much better if they had left that space empty, with the station having to cope with it.

Lol big shoes.

You couldn't set up the whole symbiote thing and then not do it.

Could it have gone into another already established cast member ... That would have been good.... Into a bad guy maybe...

Into Worf would have been good but only for an episode or two.

Lol big shoes.

Could it have gone into another already established cast member ... That would have been good.... Into a bad guy maybe...

We had that with Riker in TNG, before the Trill were fully established.

I agree though. Ezri was meant to be painful. Jadzia was dead but Dax was not.
    It was good to show how the symbiote lived on with a new host, it was a good way of the audience feeling some of the weirdness of the process

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I never understood why they replaced the Dax character.

The actress chose to leave the show

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    The actress chose to leave the show

That's not his point. They replaced the character as well as the actor

Lol big shoes.

Big shoes in that we spent quite a lot of the previous seasons with this specific character and that you were familiar with.

I get that the Trill could live on, but it would have been interesting if the symbiot had died as well, thus ending the Dax lineage, and you have everyone (including Sisko) dealing with the loss of Dax and the loss of
    Jadzia.

Big shoes in that we spent quite a lot of the previous seasons with this specific character and that you were familiar with.

I get that the Trill could live on, but it would have been interesting if the symbiot had died as well, thus ending the Dax lineage, and you have everyone (including Sisko) dealing with the loss of Dax and the loss of
    Jadzia.

Or flip it and have dax dying and jadzia living on with a drastically different personality. Thats what I'd have done.

Or flip it and have dax dying and jadzia living on with a drastically different personality. Thats what I'd have done.

Host cannot live without symbiote

Host cannot live without symbiote

I'm sure Bashir could come up with some mcguffin to sort that.

I'm sure Bashir could come up with some mcguffin to sort that.

He tried and failed in an episode

He tried and failed in an episode

but sure that's a matter of just writing it the other way? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

but sure that's a matter of just writing it the other way? :confused:

Must remember that one ;)

Myrddin wrote: »
    Must remember that one ;)

The speculation here is completely re-writing the second season? I'd have thought small stumbling blocks like it couldn't be done in an earlier episode wouldn't be insurmountable.

Sure the thing is riddled with this type of retcon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The speculation here is completely re-writing the second season? I'd have thought small stumbling blocks like it couldn't be done in an earlier episode wouldn't be insurmountable.

Sure the thing is riddled with this type of retcon.

You've lost me :confused: How do you mean?

Advertisement