Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrrelstown review

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Translation:

The area is a kip i cannot wait to sell my property to the first greater fool that bids high enough for me to clear negative equity.

Don't be the fool OP

I don't live there, I live in the rural area at the back of Clonee and Dunboyne and have never owned property other than my own home, because frankly I have more sense.

However, I'm a planning consultant by trade, so I do know poor design principles when I see them and Tyrrellstown has them in spades. In fact, a different friend of mine and his missus were looking at purchasing a 3-storey in TT way back in 2002 when the whole place was new and I counselled against it due to crap public realm design and really poor passive security generated by the warren of back lanes and dark corners inherent in the layout. He didn't take my advice and was one sorry bucko within a couple of years when anti-social behaviour began to grow around him and when the negative equity hit he took in 2008/9 was an order of magnitude higher than other areas, even other areas in Dublin 15.

To the OP, do what you want, but you are seeing better "value" in TT than other areas for a number of very obvious adverse reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭HotDudeLife

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I don't live there, I live in the rural area at the back of Clonee and Dunboyne and have never owned property other than my own home, because frankly I have more sense.

However, I'm a planning consultant by trade, so I do know poor design principles when I see them and Tyrrellstown has them in spades. In fact, a different friend of mine and his missus were looking at purchasing a 3-storey in TT way back in 2002 when the whole place was new and I counselled against it due to crap public realm design and really poor passive security generated by the warren of back lanes and dark corners inherent in the layout. He didn't take my advice and was one sorry bucko within a couple of years when anti-social behaviour began to grow around him and when the negative equity hit he took in 2008/9 was an order of magnitude higher than other areas, even other areas in Dublin 15.

To the OP, do what you want, but you are seeing better "value" in TT than other areas for a number of very obvious adverse reasons.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Well said

You seem to be only looking for opinions that match your view on the matter and exclude the rest. That's fine, but I think this approach to the thread in general reflects more badly on boards.ie and Internet forums than it should on Tyrrelstown TBH. ie anyone with a keyboard can push and affirm a certain viewpoint for whatever reason. Your opinions and mine are just that; opinions. Mine is based on living in the area for 14 years. Yours on old, poor quality media reports and hearsay from other people who don't live there.

The lack of detail or context in the debate so far should be a real red flag here to the OP or anyone else reading it and the presence of a lot of 'a mate of mine bought there and his head fell off' type of evidence. Like a lot of things in life, a primary source of information is typically more useful.

There has been little added on the amenities such as the schools, the community centre, the large park etc. Or any discussions on the quality (or lack of build quality) of the houses, or the fact that there is the negative of management fees to consider.

As someone else mentioned, the area is really a collection of estates so probably would be more useful to discuss Mount Garrett and the pros and cons of living there in particular.

And here's another opinion, a more neutral view. The house that the OP is looking at will sell soon, or has been sold. Someone will live in it, and will hopefully live a long and happy life there. In many ways, you can be lucky or unlucky in any estate by living next to good or bad neighbours so it pays to research carefully on any house/home purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

Very naive

OK, I'm out. I've been called a lier and naive in the space of a few posts, and TBH am not one who is interested in getting drawn into pointless discussions with random people in the real world or the Internet. I'm going to have to agree with the poster who said earlier on that these threads act as a Bat Signal for some.

Advertisement