Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

CramCycle wrote: »
    45a is very good IMO, alas the 155 drivers now park where ever they feel like it around the Dart station so it can be confusing to other traffic coming through as they often just park in the traffic lane on a double yellow and it takes a minute to realise if your directly behind.

A friend in DB says there is still a large amount of GAI drivers applying for every job that comes up but that's to be expected, better pay etc. I presume they don't leave unless they get the job.
    It's bus only so what's the confusion, no other vehicles are permitted in front of the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

GAI have an official beta app up on the Google Play store.

LHuyA2Wnu3Hbxo57DkKv1MeAPl1AdMKxVZKmmAxm5HukqtaeeXyBIXbS2C67IeeRMQ=w1366-h625-rw

link here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.utrack.goaheadireland.staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Qrt

GAI have an official beta app up on the Google Play store.

link here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.utrack.goaheadireland.staff

Quite relieved it’s for staff.

Yep. As soon as I read "Employee ID" at the start of the app; it is definitely made for staff only.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

What exactly have you been hearing, and how recently have you been hearing it?

My experience (mostly in Dun Laoghaire and Bray) has been that curtailments and cancellations are now extremely rare. I hear positive feedback from passengers on a pretty much daily basis, especially on routes like the 63 and 45a.

Driver's I've spoken too aren't too happy and some stated they are looking elsewhere, I'm not going into the specifics here on Boards, and I wasn't commenting on the service GAI offer that's not what I commented on in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It's bus only so what's the confusion, no other vehicles are permitted in front of the station.

that is not where they park, they park on Quinsborought Road (that you turn off to go into the bus only area), they often park almost upto the gate that drops for Darts, so it looks like two buses are simply waiting for the gate to come up. It is ignorant and poor parking. the issue is the NTA here rather than the GAI or DB, since they added in the 155 without checking is there even close to enough space for buses to hold while waiting for departure/turnaround etc. If you look at Google maps, one is typically parked on the roundabout (not a roundabout anymore and one just past this with enough space to swing back. It effectively appears to be waiting for the gates to lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

that is not where they park, they park on Quinsborought Road (that you turn off to go into the bus only area), they often park almost upto the gate that drops for Darts, so it looks like two buses are simply waiting for the gate to come up. It is ignorant and poor parking. the issue is the NTA here rather than the GAI or DB, since they added in the 155 without checking is there even close to enough space for buses to hold while waiting for departure/turnaround etc. If you look at Google maps, one is typically parked on the roundabout (not a roundabout anymore and one just past this with enough space to swing back. It effectively appears to be waiting for the gates to lift.
    Ok I thought you meant out front, that wasn't clear.

Ok I thought you meant out front, that wasn't clear.

Would have made more sense ot take away the car park spaces there and bar deliveries and collection, have it bus only with more holding points for buses.

Does anyone know where Valley Drive is on the 111?

There is a notice about a diversion through Valley Drive about it on GAI's website.
    27th-29th Sep

From the R118 the service will turn right onto Valley Drive, head to the next junction and perform a U turn. From Valley Drive the service will turn left onto the R118 and continue normal service from stop 5047. Stops 7639 and 7640 will not be served.

https://www.goaheadireland.ie/services/111#disruptions

Valley drive is just after the start from Brides glen so it looks like they are skipping the first 2 or 3 stops

• Advertisement

Valley drive is just after the start from Brides glen so it looks like they are skipping the first 2 or 3 stops

Could that diversion affect all bus routes like the 7 & 84/a with DB?

I don't see any news about this diversion from DB's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Could that diversion affect all bus routes like the 7 & 84/a with DB?

I don't see any news about this diversion from DB's website.

Dublin bus put it up last week

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Does anyone know why the 63 was every hour instead of every 30 minutes this evening?

The 18:05 at Old Bray Road towards Dún Laoghaire never showed up so I waited for the 18:35, then on my return journey the 20:40 at the DART station towards Kilternan never showed up so I had to wait for the 21:10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Does anyone know why the 63 was every hour instead of every 30 minutes this evening?

The 18:05 at Old Bray Road towards Dún Laoghaire never showed up so I waited for the 18:35, then on my return journey the 20:40 at the DART station towards Kilternan never showed up so I had to wait for the 21:10.

You were unbelievably lucky that the 1835 63 turned up, albeit with only one functioning headlamp. Had it been an even slightly darker evening, the driver would have refused to drive it. :)

As far as I know, the 1805 63 (that's the 1740 from Kilternan) was heavily delayed in traffic on a previous journey. I've no idea what happened to the 2040 from DL. I can only presume that it too fell victim to heavy traffic earlier in the evening. I'm not aware of any absent drivers anyway.

Unfortunately, the 63 shares buses and drivers with the 75 and the 45a (and to a lesser extent, the 59 and 111). This ridiculous carry-on means that heavy traffic in Bray or Rathfarnham can have a knock-on effect on the 63.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

You were unbelievably lucky that the 1835 63 turned up, albeit with only one functioning headlamp. Had it been an even slightly darker evening, the driver would have refused to drive it. :)

As far as I know, the 1805 63 (that's the 1740 from Kilternan) was heavily delayed in traffic on a previous journey. I've no idea what happened to the 2040 from DL. I can only presume that it too fell victim to heavy traffic earlier in the evening. I'm not aware of any absent drivers anyway.

Unfortunately, the 63 shares buses and drivers with the 75 and the 45a (and to a lesser extent, the 59 and 111). This ridiculous carry-on means that heavy traffic in Bray or Rathfarnham can have a knock-on effect on the 63.

It's very interesting how the Go-Ahead group continue with an operational system which proved highly damaging to their Singaporean Tender.

Interlining,simply cannot work in the current Dublin situation,it is unpopular with staff,customers and,eventually,with the Tenderer.

I would have expected the GA Head-Office to take a closer interest in their subsidiary making the exact same errors as were made in Singapore,yet expecting a different outcome.

"Ridiculous carry-on" is a very accurate description. :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

They have been fined 70k for late/unreliable services according to Irish Times.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Snip of Article here:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/go-ahead-fined-70k-for-late-or-unreliable-bus-services-1.4046275
    The National Transport Authority (NTA) is to fine private bus operator Go-Ahead more than €70k for failures to deliver services reliably and on time, it has emerged.

In a letter to Social Democrats co-leader Catherine Murphy, the NTA said it would be deducting the sum over a failure to meet targets. It follows a number of complaints about the service from politicians and commuters.

In the letter, the chief executive of the NTA Anne Graham confirmed that Dublin Bus has also be fined €280k this year for failure to operate scheduled services.

In total since mid-2016, Dublin Bus has been fined more than €3m. Irish Rail was also fined €652k as a result of non-operation of services due to industrial action in 2017, it has emerged.

The 270 has a diversion in Dunboyne from 12 midday until 6:30pm this evening.
    Diversion in Dunboyne affecting route 270

Today 12:00 - 18:30

Affected routes: 270

Due to Spirit of Dunboyne motor club event, the following diversion will affect route 270 on Sunday the 13th of October between 12:00 and 18:30. Journey to Dunboyne: Normal route to L2228 then divert right to Dunboyne Train Station and terminate at bus bay. Journey to Blanchardstown Centre: Departs train station to L2228 toward Clonee and follows normal route to Blanchardstown Centre. Stops affected: 3332, 3333, 3334, 3351, 3354.

https://www.goaheadireland.ie/services/270#disruptions

Thejournal.ie have reported that the fine for not meeting punctuality targets is much smaller this time round for GAI. They have been fined for periods five & six which covers their bus service targets from April to June this year. The total fine to GAI for this period amounts to €34,739.73. The money paid from the fine issued to GAI will be paid back into the NTA's main Public Service Obligation budget.

11 routes have been noted to have failed to meet their punctuality targets in periods five & six.

They are the 17/C/D, 17A, 18, 33A, 45A/B, 75/A, 76A, 104, 175, 220/A and the 236A.

The 75/A were the worst performing route in period five with punctuality of 49.5%. It recorded punctuality of 51.2% in period six.

https://www.thejournal.ie/go-ahead-irealnd-bus-fined-punctuality-failed-4853606-Oct2019/

Thejournal.ie have reported that the fine for not meeting punctuality targets is much smaller this time round for GAI. They have been fined for periods five & six which covers their bus service targets from April to June this year. The total fine to GAI for this period amounts to €34,739.73. The money paid from the fine issued to GAI will be paid back into the NTA's main Public Service Obligation budget.

11 routes have been noted to have failed to meet their punctuality targets in periods five & six.

They are the 17/C/D, 17A, 18, 33A, 45A/B, 75/A, 76A, 104, 175, 220/A and the 236A.

The 75/A were the worst performing route in period five with punctuality of 49.5%. It recorded punctuality of 51.2% in period six.

https://www.thejournal.ie/go-ahead-irealnd-bus-fined-punctuality-failed-4853606-Oct2019/

You can find a list of performance data in raw, factual form here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111516923&postcount=14

WHat's noticeable about that article is Richard Boyd Barrett complaining that privatisation has had an impact on the service, when Go-Ahead has better reliability scores than Dublin Bus and both operators have similar punctuality scores where Dublin Bus hasn't hit its targets at all in the year to date. And some of their routes have punctuality below 30%.

The only reason that they missed the targets for reliability is that they had a 98% target whereas other operators had 95%, but the others will be changed to 98% too by the end of the year te create a level playing field under the new Dublin Bus contract.

Not for the first time he's caught making misleading comments about performance of bus services that are influenced on Ideaology rather than cold hard facts and official data. He's a criticising GAI because they are private and not DB because they're not.

Anyone who truly cares about bus service quality will be vocal about it in general rather than moaning about an operator that they feel has poor scores and being totally silent about a favoured one.with similar or lower scores.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

devnull wrote: »
    You can find a list of performance data in raw, factual form here:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111516923&postcount=14

WHat's noticeable about that article is Richard Boyd Barrett complaining that privatisation has had an impact on the service, when Go-Ahead has better reliability scores than Dublin Bus and both operators have similar punctuality scores where Dublin Bus hasn't hit its targets at all in the year to date. And some of their routes have punctuality below 30%.

Not for the first time he's caught making misleading comments about performance of bus services that are influenced on Ideaology rather than cold hard facts and official data. He's a criticising GAI because they are private and not DB because they're not.

How can you compare DB services this year or any year with artery services going through the city to the orbital routes of GAI?

Their average wait time and excess wait time measure for only 13 routes seems to not take into account why the wait is different..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RuleNumber6

dfx- wrote: »
    How can you compare DB services this year or any year with artery services going through the city to the orbital routes of GAI?

Quite easily, there are punctuality stats by route available for both operators which gives a direct comparison for punctuality before and after.

Quite easily, there are punctuality stats by route available for both operators which gives a direct comparison for punctuality before and after.

That appears to be a calculation of time only, not the variability of that time for a city route to an orbital route.

Is the same time allocated for a 16 on George's St on a Friday night to a 16 at 11am on a Tuesday morning?

That appears to be a calculation of time only, not the variability of that time for a city route to an orbital route.

Is the same time allocated for a 16 on George's St on a Friday night to a 16 at 11am on a Tuesday morning?

Provided the stats are for the same route, over a comparable time period with mitigating factors taken into account, it should be very doable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You can have targets by day, time of day, but it's a lot of work. I do a lot reporting on performance management and would not look into variables per occurrence unless I'm reviewing items themselves that failed.

While something can be setup, itll be a lot to maintain it, if operator changes, route changes. You've a lot of rules to review.

Their average wait time and excess wait time measure for only 13 routes seems to not take into account why the wait is different..

You are aware that high frequency routes for Dublin Bus are already measured to a different metric than lower frequency routes on Dublin Bus and routes that are operated by Go Ahead Ireland?

493143.png

493144.png

Honestly the stats above don't back up the theory that services operated by GAI are poorer than those operated by Dublin Bus, all they show is that for punctuality there's basically nothing in it if you average it out and for reliability GAI are ahead of Dublin Bus, but Dublin Bus aren't doing too bad either.

Provided the stats are for the same route, over a comparable time period with mitigating factors taken into account, it should be very doable.

Yes, but how are the mitigating factors taken into account? Traffic? Detour? Time of day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Yes, but how are the mitigating factors taken into account? Traffic? Detour? Time of day?

The operator notes it to the NTA who either approve or disapprove the reason and adjust the figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 youknowitstrue

Check out this
    Bus Route Complaints per 100,000 passengers*
    DB routes
    84X-25 complaints
    33X-23
    61 -23
    67X-21
    47-17

GAI routes
    104-155 complaints
    114-142
    76A-117
    33B-89
    18-75

Would appear GAI are significantly worse

• Advertisement

Check out this
    Bus Route Complaints per 100,000 passengers*
    DB routes
    84X-25 complaints
    33X-23
    61 -23
    67X-21
    47-17

GAI routes
    104-155 complaints
    114-142
    76A-117
    33B-89
    18-75

Would appear GAI are significantly worse

I think what we do need to see defined is exactly what is considered a complaint as it's not really properly defined from what I can see. The NTA reports do state that some things such as frequency and information provision are outside the operators control - it would be very nice to see in future breakdowns if the complaints by route are broken down into categories as it would give a better picture of what people are not happy with, who is responsible and what needs to be done to improve things - the note that they have put in is useful, but not terribly helpful without a data breakdown.

It would also be interesting to see how many passengers each service is carrying, as when you are measuring something per 100,000 complaints and the routes are low frequency, not very busy ones, then the number of complaints per 100,000 may actually be more than the total number of complaints for that service as they don't have a 100,000 sample size so simply pro-rata it upwards to get the figures in the reports.

EG: If an Xpresso service carried 20,000 passengers in a period, and had 4 complaints, that would show up as 20 complaints per 100,000 passengers even though the total complaints is far less, so very small numbers of passenger complaints on services with small sample sizes can make the data look different. Then of course you have issues that Xpresso routes run at peak times when there is more chance of something going wrong and orbitals tend not to have such good bus priority as the main routes to the city centre that have QBCs.

Advertisement