Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Qrt wrote: »
    Also, does anybody know when the Go-Ahead routes will have ads on the buses? It's annoying me quite a lot now – looks far too naked.

I assume they still have to agree a deal with the likes of Clear Channel or JCDeaux. It is a bit odd looking that they don't have ads but I'd it's better they get properly up and running first with their full amount of routes before they start worrying about things like ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I assume they still have to agree a deal with the likes of Clear Channel or JCDeaux. It is a bit odd looking that they don't have ads but I'd it's better they get properly up and running first with their full amount of routes before they start worrying about things like ads.

GA will have to tender the advertising service the same way CAN tendered the service unless they decide to manage and develop advertising in house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

GM228 wrote: »
    GA will have to tender the advertising service the same way CAN tendered the service unless they decide to manage and develop advertising in house.

Would it not be the NTA's job to sell ad space, given that GA are under contract to them? Who would the advertising income go to, NTA or GA?

john boye wrote: »
    Would it not be the NTA's job to sell ad space, given that GA are under contract to them? Who would the advertising income go to, NTA or GA?

DB, BE and IE are also under contract to the NTA and advertising revenue goes to CIE (a small proportion goes to Exterion and JC Decaux who manage advertising for CAN).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

DB, BE and IE are also under contract to the NTA and advertising revenue goes to CIE (a small proportion goes to Exterion and JC Decaux who manage advertising for CAN).

Yes but I would have thought that was different for DB given that it's a direct award contract and revenue going to DB stems from when they bought the buses themselves and might be difficult to change?

• Advertisement

Yes but I would have thought that was different for DB given that it's a direct award contract and revenue going to DB stems from when they bought the buses themselves and might be difficult to change?

Actually yes come to think of it I would say you are correct although without seeing the contract we can only currently speculate and remember that the NTA keeping the farebox does not necessarily mean they will keep income from advertising.

The LUAS contract whilst not a PSO contract is similar to the type of competitive tendering contract GA have, advertising on the LUAS is managed by JC Decaux under contract with TII as opposed to Transdev so I would assume the NTA will contact advertising on GA services (as well as BE Waterford).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

I can't imagine GA getting the ad revenue would go down well with...anyone? Considering their public property etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rorybyrne7

I was in Dun Laoghaire over the weekend and got chatting to some of the GAI drivers, they were telling me they have no facilities to use in Dun Laoghaire that some of them have breaks for up to 4 hours and have no where to go to sit down and make a coffee or use a toilet. There has to be some law about this I'm sure they don't expect their drivers to take a break on the side of the road in this weather .

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

rorybyrne7 wrote: »
    I was in Dun Laoghaire over the weekend and got chatting to some of the GAI drivers, they were telling me they have no facilities to use in Dun Laoghaire that some of them have breaks for up to 4 hours and have no where to go to sit down and make a coffee or use a toilet. There has to be some law about this I'm sure they don't expect their drivers to take a break on the side of the road in this weather .

Pretty much the same case for alot of people working in transport or businesses without canteens I.e. retail workers. The majority of whom go to a shop for their lunch. Plenty of public toilets in DL.

However if they are rostered 4 hour breaks then there is something wrong with being left "out in the cold".

A "deal" with a local coffee shop for toilet use / discounts wouldn't be hard to negotiate and I'd be surprised if there isn't something unoffiical yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Just to say In response to roryobynes comments. I have also been chatting to some GA drivers recently. It seems GA were caught out when they were refused use of the harbour as they expected parking for busses and office use for facilities. They tell me GA have just secured a facility to cater for drivers so this issue seems to be resolved also I asked about breaks. The 4 hour "break" is actually time spent on standby if needed so is not actually classified as a break. Also as noted Dl has several places where any member of the public can use facilities such as county hall and shopping centre etc so whats all the fuss about this for.

• Advertisement

soundman45 wrote: »
    Just to say In response to roryobynes comments. I have also been chatting to some GA drivers recently. It seems GA were caught out when they were refused use of the harbour as they expected parking for busses and office use for facilities. They tell me GA have just secured a facility to cater for drivers so this issue seems to be resolved also I asked about breaks. The 4 hour "break" is actually time spent on standby if needed so is not actually classified as a break. Also as noted Dl has several places where any member of the public can use facilities such as county hall and shopping centre etc so whats all the fuss about this for.

There is no fuss soundman, but what does it matter if it's a 4 hour break out 4 hours on standby it's still a long time to be standing around in the cold even the homeless don't have to do that. As for using public facilities now that's a bit much to expect from a worker who is probably working 10 hours and needs to sit down for a deserved rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is a hidden Dublin Bus crew room in Dun Laoghaire station and in Blackrock there is a hidden toilet on the Dublin platform.

NTA needs to make these locations neutral as its currently a legacy CIE setup.

There is a hidden Dublin Bus crew room in Dun Laoghaire station and in Blackrock there is a hidden toilet on the Dublin platform.

Unfortunately the employees pay for them every week from their wages so I could never see that happening. I just can't my head around the fact you would give a driver a duty that would be 11 hours long and have no facilities for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Unfortunately the employees pay for them every week from their wages so I could never see that happening. I just can't my head around the fact you would give a driver a duty that would be 11 hours long and have no facilities for them.

So when Micky Macs coaches send a driver from Kerry to Dublin say on a match day at Croke Park they do what??? Provide a rest room for the driver where exactly? Anything you have posted just seems petty to be honest. I see Aircoach parked on the quays when im in cork but i dont see anything there for drivers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

So when Micky Macs coaches send a driver from Kerry to Dublin say on a match day at Croke Park they do what??? Provide a rest room for the driver where exactly? Anything you have posted just seems petty to be honest. I see Aircoach parked on the quays when im in cork but i dont see anything there for drivers.

I agree with everything you are saying, but just on Aircoach in Cork. They have a nearby depot, they aren't actually supposed to park up for too long on the Quays in Cork *, I rarely see Aircoach, GoBE, etc. there for more the 20 minutes.

Also they all do have toilets on board which the driver can use when needed, which helps.

* the problem is more the tour coaches which seem to just sit around all day blocking up the bays that are designated for Aircoach/GoBE/etc.

Go ahead is not on a day trip they are in Dun Laoghaire nearly 18 hours of the day they operate 5 routes from there with a lot of drivers. But once again it's so easy to spot office staff of GAI on this board by the way they answer. Why are you so defensive and so bothered by my remarks when I'm only pointing out some truths. You obviously agree with the way they treat their drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Go-Ahead bus in Waterford, operating for BE?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Go-Ahead bus in Waterford, operating for BE?

The Waterford BE StreetLites are identical to the GA StreetLites, they just have BE logos instead of GA.

The BE buses are designated WL class (WL401-17).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The Waterford BE StreetLites are identical to the GA StreetLites, they just have BE logos instead of GA.

So they are, what a horrible color scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

"Suck it up" will be the answer you'll get (and seem to have already received). You're right of course.

• Advertisement

Didn't realise the direct award contract for BE Waterford City Services had already commenced.

Didn't realise there was one in Blackrock will be pretty useless come the end of January once the 17 and 114 move to GAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

there isn't one in Blackrock afaik, as for the one in Dun Laoghaire it's not hidden, its on Irish Rail property.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ITV2 wrote: »
    there isn't one in Blackrock afaik, as for the one in Dun Laoghaire it's not hidden, its on Irish Rail property.

If I remember correctly the DB staff get a reduced rate in the coffee shop there. I presume the GAI crew will get the same.

I understand peoples annoyance but the implementation of facilities, bar IR letting DB and GAI staff use their facilities is a non runner. In fact its far better than it used to be, there were in times past where DB drivers would piss into bottles in the stairwell. For such a unionised crowd, the union was not always very good at working for them. The NTA should push for free access to all staff of DB and GAI, solves alot of issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Any bus operated in such a city should have easy access to a toilet.

Bus Connects is an opportunity to do things right.

Put in facilities for all services.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

L1011 wrote: »
    Ferry terminal is being converted to offices and a restaurant now
    Stephen15 wrote: »
    I still think it's mental that Go-Ahead only have one depot based in Ballymount and no outstations grand for the likes of the 17, 18, 75/a, 175 and the 76 but crazy for the likes of the 33a/b, 184 and 185 and other routes which serve only South and North Dublin Ballymount is not a great location.

Go-Ahead wanted to turn the old ferry terminal in DL into an outstation for 20 buses similar to the way DB have D/brook buses based out in Bray but were wrongly refused planning permission while the ferry terminal currently lies idle.

Looks like the ferry terminal is free again, the developer pulled out when he found out that Dún Laoghaire Harbour Company didn't have the license to lease the building in the first place.

Perhaps Go-Ahead will have more luck trying again now, from how annoyed the developer sounded, I don't think he'll ever deal with that company again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

The issue wasn't the terminal, it was the hard standing used previously for the ferry.

There is a separate application to build a cruise ship berth just to the left of the old HSS dock and provide parking, bus stands etc. This is with ABP currently, http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/PA0051.htm . As a result DLRCC won't entertain another application until the first is either withdrawn or refused

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

No chance of this happening, sure they cant even all travel for free on each others service so using facilities is not going to happen anytime soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The issue wasn't the terminal, it was the hard standing used previously for the ferry.

There is a separate application to build a cruise ship berth just to the left of the old HSS dock and provide parking, bus stands etc. This is with ABP currently, http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/PA0051.htm . As a result DLRCC won't entertain another application until the first is either withdrawn or refused

DLRCC now *are* the harbour company. This confuses things further

Advertisement