Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nintendo Switch

Options
  • 17-07-2019 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this news posted here yet. From Nintendo's site https://www.nintendo.com/switch/compare/ , and various news sites, Nintendo are releasing an updated version of the Switch soon.

The new model will look like the old one, but has a better battery-life. It will be rolled out from mid-August so take care if you're buying a new Switch later in the year that you don't pick up an old model.
    • The Original Switch is Model number: HAC-001 (product serial number starts with “XAW”). Has Approx. 2.5 to 6.5 hours battery life (3 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
    • The updated has Switch Model number: HAC-001(-01) (product serial number begins with “XKW”). It will have approximately 4.5 - 9 hours battery life (approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.)

From: https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3079121/nintendo-switch-2019-battery-life-upgrade
    There are no details as to how Nintendo has achieved this improvement in battery life, though recent rumours claimed that the firm was planning to update the Switch with a new SoC and a different type of NAND memory. If this is the case, you can also expect to see an improvement in loading times.

It’s possible that the new Switch will also offer more internal storage space

No mention of the screen being improved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭ROAAAR

They just killed the Switch Lite :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Only for people buying the Switch lite for the battery life. The Switch lite looks nice but has no appeal to me because of the pared back functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

From what I can gather it’s just a revision of the Tegra system on a chip that’s more efficient and as a result, uses less power. The battery is the same capacity, it’s just under less strain from the newer Nvidia SOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Same system in the end with extra battery life and it will probably run cooler and quieter. Games will still play the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

jester77 wrote: »
    Same system in the end with extra battery life and it will probably run cooler and quieter. Games will still play the same.

Pretty much. And until they release a console called the "Switch 2" I'd expect it to stay like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's the same kind of chipset revision that all consoles get - marginally performance increases, chip prices go down, it's not worth upgrading to, but if you're buying a new Switch, it would be worth your while to make sure you get this model.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brevity

Almost bought one the weekend...I’ve been planning on pulling the proverbial trigger on one of these for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

antix80 wrote: »
    Only for people buying the Switch lite for the battery life. The Switch lite looks nice but has no appeal to me because of the pared back functionality.

Unless you really couldn't afford the extra to a proper switch, I really cant see why anyone would bother with the lite one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I think I'll be getting this revised Switch. I'm mostly a handheld user and that extra battery life will be much welcomed. Still gonna keep my Let's Go Switch just because 2 Switches are better than one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yakult wrote: »
    I think I'll be getting this revised Switch. I'm mostly a handheld user and that extra battery life will be much welcomed. Still gonna keep my Let's Go Switch just because 2 Switches are better than one :pac:

Heeeey c'mon! ya cant switch switches man! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Didn't the switch get hacked?
    Most likely another reason for the new console.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

brevity wrote: »
    Almost bought one the weekend...I’ve been planning on pulling the proverbial trigger on one of these for months.
    i caved a month ago after waiting the guts of 6 months. kinda wish i held out a bit longer

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd say it's probably the primary reason, tbh!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭fitz

Finally caved and ordered yesterday so I'd have Breath of the Wild to play on holidays in two weeks. Bit annoying, but also picked up an Anker power bank, so not too miffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Star Lord wrote: »
    I'd say it's probably the primary reason, tbh!

The patched units are not vulnerable to the rcm exploit to my knowledge, so Ninty have already fixed the security via hardware (the original Switch's can't be fixed by software, hence needing the hardware revision). I'd say the primary reason here is cost, Nvidia have moved to a smaller nm production, so the chips will likely be cheaper, and Nvidia won't be producing the older/larger chip anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Hi guys, The young fella wants one of these for Xmas so I need to add a price watch notification for Amazon to keepa. I'm not too well up on the Switch but may plan hacking it in future and don't want to lock myself out of any exploit due to a newer firmware. Which one should I be watching?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Has anybody seen the new model in any Brick & Mortar stores?

Gamestop gave me a date of September 6th but I'd rather pick it up sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lucas1980

shawki wrote: »
    Has anybody seen the new model in any Brick & Mortar stores?

Gamestop gave me a date of September 6th but I'd rather pick it up sooner.

In contact with Smyth Toys today, I was told they do not have it and do not known when the new model will be in stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Inviere wrote: »
    The patched units are not vulnerable to the rcm exploit to my knowledge, so Ninty have already fixed the security via hardware (the original Switch's can't be fixed by software, hence needing the hardware revision). I'd say the primary reason here is cost, Nvidia have moved to a smaller nm production, so the chips will likely be cheaper, and Nvidia won't be producing the older/larger chip anymore.

I guess is anyone wanted an older hackable model they'll be selling for quite the cash online now?

Price went down by €30 for the old model at Smyths. Now €299.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

Anyone order a new one online anywhere? Called into Gamestop and Harvey Norman's this weekend and neither of them had even heard about it!

Anyone order a new one online anywhere? Called into Gamestop and Harvey Norman's this weekend and neither of them had even heard about it!

I think it’s September for Europe. Have my eye on one too, really wanna play Astral Chain

At Gamestop Dundrum today I was told it is available for pre-order. Will arrive in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

lucas1980 wrote: »
    At Gamestop Dundrum today I was told it is available for pre-order. Will arrive in September.

Listed as Switch 2

https://www.gamestop.ie/Switch/Games/73274/nintendo-switch-2-red-blue-console

Oooo, really want one but with a game it’s quite expensive.

I wonder what the bundles will be like. With sterling dropping too would it be better to order from UK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was literally about to buy one, via the UK to take advantage of the collapses sterling; but with this new version about to come out I'm holding fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

There's some SERIOUS power efficiency gains in these Mariko units.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Any word on Gamestop doing some sort of trade in deal with current Switch models?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Currently abroad in Taiwan at the minute so I just picked one up in a bundle deal with 2 games + screen protector for about €290 all in! Been meaning to pull the trigger for a while, so decided to buy it over here. Loving it so far... battery life is unreal on it, though I’m not sure vs old switch how it is, but good stuff so far anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    Any word on Gamestop doing some sort of trade in deal with current Switch models?
    They're offering two hundred for the switch on trade ins at the moment

Advertisement