Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Nintendo Switch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

They're offering two hundred for the switch on trade ins at the moment

So €130 extra to move from current Switch to new one?

Probably not worth it for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    So €130 extra to move from current Switch to new one?

Probably not worth it for me.

Gamestop in the US have a deal running where you get extra trade-in credit when upgrading from an older Switch to one of the new ones. I queried Gamestop Ireland if they are considering doing a similar deal and the email I received confirmed that they were in the first or second week of September (seems to coincide with them receiving their stock).

The equivalent approximate deal in the states was an old Switch, a game and a few dollars for the new one so hopefully it's the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

sugarman wrote: »
    Around €200 for the bare console
    lucas1980 wrote: »
    Price went down by €30 for the old model at Smyths. Now €299.

In a nice round about way of saying it without saying it :pac:
    How would one go about / and or know what version a switch is when buying one these days? ;)

I have heard that a version has to be below a certain number ;);)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In a nice round about way of saying it without saying it :pac:
    How would one go about / and or know what version a switch is when buying one these days? ;)

I have heard that a version has to be below a certain number ;);)

It explains how to tell the difference in the vid Inviere posted above. They've also changed the box going by what I've seen online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume Nintendo's official UK/IE site will flip over to the new Switch come September? I'm holding fire on a purchase I was literally about to make when the news hit. £279 for the console on its own + £30 eStore credit seems like the best deal going (albeit one with a game included)

• Advertisement

Rhyme wrote: »
    Gamestop in the US have a deal running where you get extra trade-in credit when upgrading from an older Switch to one of the new ones. I queried Gamestop Ireland if they are considering doing a similar deal and the email I received confirmed that they were in the first or second week of September (seems to coincide with them receiving their stock).

The equivalent approximate deal in the states was an old Switch, a game and a few dollars for the new one so hopefully it's the same here.

Great, sounds goods thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I am sort of tempted, but after seeing the new screens and slight red that they have emit compared to the original I am not sure if I want to. I prefer the look of the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ThinksAmoral

Gamestop in Cork City told me if you preorder and trade in your old Switch you get up to €300 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

jester77 wrote: »

I am sort of tempted, but after seeing the new screens and slight red that they have emit compared to the original I am not sure if I want to. I prefer the look of the original.
    Didn't see anything about a red hint in the new screen

Where did you see that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

It's apparently polarised differently and harder to see if wearing sunglasses according to one blog/article..
    As for red hue... First i heard.

Funny enough and OT but i bought the new kindle paperwhite having owned the previous model and was disappointed that the backlight was now bluer causing the text to appear washy. Few other people commented on this but had i known i mightnt have upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There's a slight magenta tint to the screen, the old screen is better, but the new screen probably consumes less power, which helps with the battery too.

jpg

Pic from the Eurogamer Digital Foundry analysis of the new switch

• Registered Users Posts: 28,823 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Maybe i misheard him, but was in gamestop getting Astral Chain and guy said they're doing a deal for upgrading for old Switch plus €30. Maybe he said Switch and game and €30. Maybe someone else can confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Maybe i misheard him, but was in gamestop getting Astral Chain and guy said they're doing a deal for upgrading for old Switch plus €30. Maybe he said Switch and game and €30. Maybe someone else can confirm?

Manager in one of the stores in Limerick said the same to me. I'm tempted if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was told that last week but I wasn't sure if the deal was for the new switch model or switch lite so I didn't want to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,823 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah sounded like a good deal so was clarified it's the 1.1 and not the lite

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Yeah I really don’t like that screen tint to the new model. I’m half thinking of getting a switch lite alongside my original switch.

Yeah sounded like a good deal so was clarified it's the 1.1 and not the lite

That would be an incredible deal if it was true.

Just paying €30 to get a fresh switch without wear and tear is great, without the added bonus of battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The major caveat is your old switch has to be in saleable condition. So joycon drift, screen condition, lack of original packaging and minor cosmetic features of 2 years living in your bag could be their get out for bumping the 30 up

I wonder is it incentivised by Ninty to get vulnerable Switches off the streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Any stock in Ireland yet?

Curry’s have it listed for click and collect but it was the old model when I went to collect it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

shawki wrote: »
    Any stock in Ireland yet?

Curry’s have it listed for click and collect but it was the old model when I went to collect it.

Gamestop is saying the 6th (Friday) on their website. I'm passing through a store later today to collect something so might ask then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Was in Gamestop today and asking about the Switch trade in offer, and was told you had to trade in the old switch before getting the 1.1 Switch. No idea why to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Meesared wrote: »
    Was in Gamestop today and asking about the Switch trade in offer, and was told you had to trade in the old switch before getting the 1.1 Switch. No idea why to be honest.

Probably someone that had no clue what they were talking about, or about the requirement to transfer from the old to the new switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Meesared wrote: »

You get store credit, so you need to trade in your old one so it can be used on the new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

You get store credit, so you need to trade in your old one so it can be used on the new one.

Yeah i was told that in today - its only if you pre-order the new Switch that you get the 1.1 for 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yeah I paid 30 today, told to drop in current switch on Friday, then pick up the new one.

No need for boxes etc, just all the bits that came with it originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Grassey wrote: »
    Yeah I paid 30 today, told to drop in current switch on Friday, then pick up the new one.

No need for boxes etc, just all the bits that came with it originally.

A straight swap, old console, dock and cables for a new console for €30?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Yup exactly. Bye Bye boring grey switch, hello switch 1.1 in red/blue.

Is it friday yet? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

So if you have Nintendo Online and no games that cannot be saved in the cloud it's only a case of factory resetting the old Switch on trade in and then login to the new one and download everything?

Tempted to pop into my nearest one tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Was in GameStop Parkway Limerick and told the updated Switch has been delayed and they won't get stock until Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

Stuck a deposit down for one.

Advertisement