Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleges start installation of gender neutral toilets

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Manion

I would have thought the bigger issue in Ireland is actually a huge % of single gender primary and secondary schools. We are one of the few developed world countries that divides students by gender in a significant % of public schools.

Somehow that's all totally grand and anyone who ever complains just gets shot down with unscientific selective statistics that usually​ ignore other biases (eg that the single gender schools with high achievers are also populated by students from middle class or high education focused families and the normal schools may be UK comprehensives).

Meanwhile Irish kids are still being offered reduced subject choices (particularly science and honours maths) because they're stuck in some traditional girls school that historically valued knitting over physics and chemistry and only recently joined the 20th never mind 21st century.

Then add to that the fact that you're raising kids isolated from the opposite gender and creating all sorts of weird notions of 'us' and 'them'.

To make it worse if a kid did have a gender identity issue they're locked into an environment that is utterly defined by gender, usually with a uniform that may force them to wear a skirt etc etc

But no... We just need to stick up a few signs on university toilets and reclassify the accessible toilets on some campuses as gender neutral, inconveniencing people in wheelchairs by making them for game for everyone else causing them to be permanently busy.

Parents choice surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Women are going to be faced with pissed on toilet seats now too because some I'll bred bast**ds won't lift the seat to piss. Men in public toilets have been dealing with that for ages. I'll never understand it. How much of a pig do you have to be to piss on a bowl other people will need to sit on. It's not hard to lift it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Manion wrote: »
    Parents choice surely.

I think his point is that quite often there isn't a choice. I grew up in a midlands town and of 4 secondary schools only one was co-ed. And it was one of the worst ones.

I just started working in a new place and they have gender neutral toilets, or as they call them, all gender toilets.

I think the OP is reading the daily mail too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

red ears wrote: »
    Women are going to be faced with pissed on toilet seats now too because some I'll bred bast**ds won't lift the seat to piss. Men in public toilets have been dealing with that for ages. I'll never understand it. How much of a pig do you have to be to piss on a bowl other people will need to sit on. It's not hard to lift it.

Probably a vicious cycle...

Someone sprays the seat, then the next person doesn't lift it as they don't want to touch it.

Women can cause a similar mess by hovering to avoid contact with toilets too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Women can cause a similar mess by hovering to avoid contact with toilets too.

Women can hover? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Women can hover? :eek:

Yes, it's our main defense against toilet crabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

When you flush do they become gender fluid?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I always had my suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

red ears wrote: »
    Women's toilets are usually way messier than men's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

djPSB wrote: »
    Lucky to have any toilets back in the day. :(

You went to college before the invention of toilets?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 864 ✭✭✭neverever1

seamus wrote: »
    Women's toilets are usually way messier than men's.

How do you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Women can Hoover? :eek:

FYP.
    The best ones do anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't see the big deal at all. What the colleges are doing is they will have a female toilet, a male toilet and one that anyone can goto. This idea that the country is going mad because a few toilets have changed designation is quite bizarre really.

Are colleges not always whinging about being underfunded? Maybe they're spending their money wrong.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are colleges not always whinging about being underfunded? Maybe they're spending their money wrong.........

How much do you think a few loos cost to install? There is a difference in scale which means a few extra loos are a drop in the ocean compared to the scale of the funding they want. It is like giving out about someone for buying a bag of sweets while they were whining about their mortgage.

The lengths people will go to to be offended by this (and then they turn around and complain college students are too easily offended).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

PersonallyI don't feel strongly about the whole transgender toilet issues. But if you care that much about the gender sign on the toilet door then I think its you thats the bizarre one
    How does it affect you one way or another

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Public toilets should have slow-moving spring-activated seats whose default position is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Toilets to accommodate the general population are usually considered to be an important thing to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

wakka12 wrote: »
    PersonallyI don't feel strongly about the whole transgender toilet issues. But if you care that much about the gender sign on the toilet door then I think its you thats the bizarre one
    How does it affect you one way or another

It's the trans that are complaining that they are uncomfortable with current toileting arrangements. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I worked in construction for years and we always had "gender neutral " toilets on every single site. They were called porta potties

Throw a few of those bad boys around every college campus and let them use those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

I worked in construction for years and we always had "gender neutral " toilets on every single site. They were called porta potties

Throw a few of those bad boys around every college campus and let them use those.

Why can't they use the ones that are there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Why can't they use the ones that are there?

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It's the trans that are complaining that they are uncomfortable with current toileting arrangements. :rolleyes:

I don't know how true that is either tbh. From what I can see, only a small number of people who are transgender wanted the focus put on them like this. More people who are transgender have been using whatever bathroom they wanted without any hassle for decades, and it's only recently that there appears to be a campaign to give people something that nobody asked for so to speak, ie - far more people who aren't transgender are calling for these measures to "accommodate" people who are transgender, than people who are transgender themselves.

Anyone I know who is transgender aren't even aware of attention-seeking transtrender YouTube personalities like Denis Riley and Milo Stewart. They're an awful pain in the hole IMO that make people who are transgender look like special snowflakes, when the reality is that most of them aren't, and would rather not be the focus of so much virtue signalling attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

So both sexes can use them then, I think the ladies will be rushing back to their own loos if they happen to be there when some fella is getting rid of last nights curry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reuse_of_excreta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why not just have toilets in two rooms?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Gender neutral toilets? So..just toilets then.
    The country is going fully mad?

I can find so many better examples of the country going fully mad than a stupid toilet. People wasting their time complaining about people being accommodated at virtually no cost would be one of them.

"Speaking about the costs of these bathrooms, she added that the college are improving existing toilets on campus so there is very little cost involved."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'd hate to see this become the norm. In the future we'll have shopping centers, pubs, stadiums, etc with only one lot of toilets and everybody will have to queue for then!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eh? I just put parts of my body which don't have hairs on them on the seat.

It ain't difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Potentially inappropriate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

I'd hate to see this become the norm. In the future we'll have shopping centers, pubs, stadiums, etc with only one lot of toilets and everybody will have to queue for then!

I find that taking a guinness dump against a wall soon clears the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Advertisement