Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colleges start installation of gender neutral toilets

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Isn't it basically just a unisex toilet? So one for men, one for women, one for anyone who wants to use it?

I don't understand the difference between a gender neutral toilet, and a unisex toilet tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Isn't it basically just a unisex toilet? So one for men, one for women, one for anyone who wants to use it?

I don't understand the difference between a gender neutral toilet, and a unisex toilet tbh.

Gender neutral would have more than one cubicle whereas unisex would be just the one unit. That's the only difference. Gender neutral is plural of unisex

• Registered Users Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Very first word of the title kind of gives it away. Colleges.

Not living in the real world, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

The toilets at the Cliffs of Moher are already gender neutral

McDermotX wrote: »

Not living in the real world, as usual.

You don't share toilets with the opposite sex in the real world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

The college im in voted for it. Only me and my house mate voted for against it.

We also pointed out the disabled toilets are "gender neutral" what a ****ing stupid term.

****ing kids are in for a fun surprise when they end up in a job

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

djPSB wrote: »
    http://connachttribune.ie/college-starts-installation-gender-neutral-toilets-090/

The country is going fully mad? Lucky to have any toilets back in the day. :(

I don't see the big deal at all. What the colleges are doing is they will have a female toilet, a male toilet and one that anyone can goto. This idea that the country is going mad because a few toilets have changed designation is quite bizarre really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Going by the article they are just changing the signage on the door

Why deos this matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

It's just an extra toilet for everyone to use

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

More and more places are just having "toilets" rather than ladies and gents separate.
    It makes far more sense and less doubling of facilities.

When at home people share toilets, when you visit someone's house you share toilets, but when you get to work or a shopping centre magically there is some need to have gender specific toilets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Christ, some people here are so backward - completely intransigent in their ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's far from segregated toilets we were reared.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Unearthly

The college im in voted for it. Only me and my house mate voted for against it.

We also pointed out the disabled toilets are "gender neutral" what a ****ing stupid term.

****ing kids are in for a fun surprise when they end up in a job

Actually where i work they recently installed a gender neutral toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Christ, some people here are so backward - completely intransigent in their ignorance.

You have to embrace trans and 'intrans' equally !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So both sexes can use them then, I think the ladies will be rushing back to their own loos if they happen to be there when some fella is getting rid of last nights curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So both sexes can use them then, I think the ladies will be rushing back to their own loos if they happen to be there when some fella is getting rid of last nights curry.

Do women not eat curry?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Do women not eat curry?

They make the curry.

Monty_9386dc_6004993.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,381 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Do women not eat curry?

No they don't, thought everyone already knew this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

The toilets at the Cliffs of Moher are already gender neutral

Yes, but you have to pay 4 Euro entrance to use them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

When I was in Trinity not that long ago the toilets in the Hamilton building had glory holes drilled in them. It was openly acknowledged by all but a scandal as far as the university administration was concerned. No one seemed to care about the safety issued raised by having perverts and degenerates coming on campus and lurking in the toilets.

But gender neutral toilets are a talking point for some reason? Are we so corrupted by american culture we feel the need to give a damn about everything they get upset about? Trinity has had unisex toilets in all the modern buildings going back almost two decades. Talk about a non story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Nomis21 wrote: »
    Yes, but you have to pay 4 Euro entrance to use them!

Worth every cent!

latest?cb=20140710160644

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My work place has gender neutral toilets....or is that unisex.
    We just call it the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,950 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There none imo. A lot of people want to kick up a fuss about nothing. I first encountered unisex toilets in Greece in the mid 80's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

_Brian wrote: »
    More and more places are just having "toilets" rather than ladies and gents separate.
    It makes far more sense and less doubling of facilities.

Wait til you need to go and there's a massive Q of ladies.. you'll want your gender separation then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Unearthly wrote: »
    Actually where i work they recently installed a gender neutral toilet

You work in a college?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Do people have nothing better to be getting their knickers in a twist about? In Europe unisex toilets are pretty normal. Been to places in France and Germany where the unisex toilets had cubicals along one wall and urinals along the other. I found it odd at first and I could make understand Irish people complaining about that, but my understanding is that this is just an extra toilet anyone can use, they're not changing all existing bathrooms to gender neutral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

As a student at one of these colleges I think this was stupid, irrational and counter-intuitive. Student Union's decision nonetheless. They have one of the disabled toilets with a gender neutral sign on it as well. Absolute madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭BlinkingLights

I would have thought the bigger issue in Ireland is actually a huge % of single gender primary and secondary schools. We are one of the few developed world countries that divides students by gender in a significant % of public schools.

Somehow that's all totally grand and anyone who ever complains just gets shot down with unscientific selective statistics that usually​ ignore other biases (eg that the single gender schools with high achievers are also populated by students from middle class or high education focused families and the normal schools may be UK comprehensives).

Meanwhile Irish kids are still being offered reduced subject choices (particularly science and honours maths) because they're stuck in some traditional girls school that historically valued knitting over physics and chemistry and only recently joined the 20th never mind 21st century.

Then add to that the fact that you're raising kids isolated from the opposite gender and creating all sorts of weird notions of 'us' and 'them'.

To make it worse if a kid did have a gender identity issue they're locked into an environment that is utterly defined by gender, usually with a uniform that may force them to wear a skirt etc etc

But no... We just need to stick up a few signs on university toilets and reclassify the accessible toilets on some campuses as gender neutral, inconveniencing people in wheelchairs by making them for game for everyone else causing them to be permanently busy. This is what they've done in UCC for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Have unisex toilets in work. Not good for anyone. Men often just want a quick splash and dash and having to wait for a cubicle to take a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Most normal,rational people won't care about this in the slightest.

To the very few,often highly troubled, people it might benefit :- it strikes me as an act of kindness that costs little. And the world needs more kindness.

Advertisement