Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

what does everyone think of the 1 point for fastest lap. did it make a diference today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

what does everyone think of the 1 point for fastest lap. did it make a diference today

I wasn’t a fan when I heard it was being introduced but I have to say it was quite fun today and I think it will result in some interesting scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

I thought it was enjoyable to hear the top 3 all saying how much they wanted it. It's a point, so it's a point the drivers want.
    I provided a bit of extra entertainment seeing them pop in fastest laps and when drivers push it to the max they can make mistakes why adds even more drama!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Was interesting to hear all the teams talking about it.

Was very disappointed that lecler didn’t go for it when Ferrari obviously told him to peel back from their golden boy vettel.

Speaking of golden boys was delighted to see Hamilton shown up by bottas. Delighted for bottas in general. Well deserved.

Verstapen was a good watch as always. The mid field was interesting but overall it was an average race of we’re honest about it.

Maybe I’ve just got too used to he multiple overtakes in Formula E and I nownits not known for being a great track for overtakes but it was all a little slow today.

Biggest drama was Haas not knowing how to put on a tyre. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If that situation repeats again I dunno how much longer Ferrari would persist with protecting Seb. That was hugely dissapointing him suddenly dropping off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

pjohnson wrote: »
    If that situation repeats again I dunno how much longer Ferrari would persist with protecting Seb. That was hugely dissapointing him suddenly dropping off.

He was rubbish last season too to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Was very disappointed that lecler didn’t go for it when Ferrari obviously told him to peel back from their golden boy vettel.
    First race in a new team - did you really think he was going to disobey team orders so early? Talk about biting the hand thats feeding you! :eek:

That said though, thought it was very poor form of Ferrari to not let them race. Its the first race of the season, does Seb really need a special bubble from the get-go? I just hope it doesn't damage LeClerc's mindset too much. Can't be a nice feeling to go to a new team full of ambition, and be blocked at the very first opportunity. :(

Top Dog wrote: »
    I just hope it doesn't damage LeClerc's mindset too much. Can't be a nice feeling to go to a new team full of ambition, and be blocked at the very first opportunity. :(

You can be 100% sure that Leclerc knew exactly what situation he was getting into signing for Ferrari with Vettel in the team.
    Ferrari have a number 1 and a number 2 and it has been this way for a long long time now.
    Leclerc's time will come after Vettel is no longer top dog, which may be sooner rather than later of performances like Sunday continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Killinator wrote: »
    Leclerc's time will come after Vettel is no longer top dog, which may be sooner rather than later of performances like Sunday continue.

Do you honestly believe Vettel was under performing rather than having an issue with the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If Leclerc wants to race, he needs to start out-qualifying Vettel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yep, only way to get the job done is to be ahead on the grid.

Ferrari could easily still order him to slow down and let Vettel past, they’ve done it before.

Ferrari could easily still order him to slow down and let Vettel past, they’ve done it before.

It's one thing doing it while Le Clerc is behind, but to do it while he's ahead would be a bitter pill for fans. Yeah they've done it before, it's a very negative display this early on in the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

Sergio Marchionne wanted Charles in the car before his unexpected death. They didn't quite get to it before that happened and Arrivabene honoured the man's wish. So whatever was inserted into the contract was put there by him and not Sergio i suspect. Marchionne made no secret of it he was a huge fan of LeClerc, were he still alive it would be interesting to see how that contract would have looked.

I also think that if Verstappen had only been say 5 seconds ahead of the slowing Vettel. (Alternately if Vettel was slowing so badly as to be pushing Leclerc back into Magnussen)

If it was likely Leclerc could have got on the podium (or end up fighting for 6th) I doubt he'd have been pulled back either.

Maybe it was just a case of it being a Ferrari 4 & 5 no matter what so didnt want to risk a coming together. Both cars were to far ahead/behind to really gain/loose anything.

Maybe it was just a case of it being a Ferrari 4 & 5 no matter what so didnt want to risk a coming together. Both cars were to far ahead/behind to really gain/loose anything.

It's just a team order when nobody has any points at all, sets a pretty negative tone. Undoubtedly Charles knew & agreed to this long ago so likely can't complain, it's just as fans, it's a bit disheartening. I don't mind team orders when one driver is fighting for a title, but in this case, it's not ideal.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

LeClerc did say in an interview he understood that the team setup was a no1 and no2 driver. He seems like an intelligent chap, and knows that he has a shot for no1 when vettel fails (maybe a season or 2), but he knows he can be golden boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I've no issue with Ferrari not allowing leclerc race vettel.
    Leclerc needs to get track position and if he can do that, circumstances will allow him to get results. I don't doubt that Ferrari will piss all over leclerc re strategy too but if he can get a car between himself a vettel towards race end, he can boss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Harika

Leclerc had nothing to win by overtaking Vettel, just all to lose, especially after team orders. Anyway his speed will cause a lot of issues for Ferrari itself and Vettel as how long will Ferrari stand behind him when he is constantly challenged by Leclerc, who is the future, contrary to Kimi who was at the end of the career.
    If Vettel is not competing for the championship, what is the point of breaking his team mate constantly?

Another point I just thought if Gasly in the second RB hadnt messed up his Q1 stints and been on track at the end of qualy he would've been most likely near to one of the Ferrari's during the race.

Given Seb's broken car I highly doubt they'd have stopped Leclerc if he coulda either caught or been caught by Gasly.

I'm not gunna write off Ferrari/Binotto just yet. Their race had just petered out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Was Vettel's car damaged? I haven't heard of anything to that effect. Hamilton had damage from lap 4. Some photos of the missing part from his car here. https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/1107580202752921602?s=19

Have seen speculation on Twitter that the Ferrari have had to turn down the engine. A few reasons a given, but none confirmed. https://twitter.com/SomersF1/status/1107229914682540032?s=19

I'm only after seeing that Stroll spent 5 years in the Ferrari Academy. I didnt know that before.

vectra wrote: »
    Do you honestly believe Vettel was under performing rather than having an issue with the car?

I don't know, he seemed to believe it was the car but the pit wall were unable to find a reason.
    Something wasn't right.

I'm.not saying he was driving poorly himself but his new teammate was about to breeze past him for whatever reason and Ferrari as a team aren't always the most level headed group and may blame him for the results rather than admitting they've messed up the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I'm only after seeing that Stroll spent 5 years in the Ferrari Academy. I didnt know that before.

Perez was there one time as well, had to leave it when he joined McLaren. There's a photo of Daddy Stroll somewhere pictured at Ferrari's test track in a race suit also i think.

Perez was there one time as well, had to leave it when he joined McLaren. There's a photo of Daddy Stroll somewhere pictured at Ferrari's test track in a race suit also i think.

Yeah I knew about Perez alright. They were rumours they wanted to groom him a la Massa (00 - 05) to actually succeed Massa. Stroll only left when he was offered Williams Development Job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What's the reason Kubica was so far off the pace of his team mate this weekend?

What's the reason Kubica was so far off the pace of his team mate this weekend?

His floor was damaged after he lost his front wing. Apparently one of his mirrors fell off aswell mid-race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Apparently one of his mirrors fell off aswell mid-race.

It did on the third lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

I have this feeling Kubica will not last the season and thats even taking into account how crap the car is .
    I think too much time has passed for him and his Injury will hamper his performace if the get the car working some bit . The Testing and FP laps are one thing . Qual and Race are something else . Pity really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

OSI wrote: »
    His Quali lap was nearly 2 seconds down on Russel and his fastest race lap more than half a second slower. Not a promising start to his return season.

He clipped the wall and got a puncture in qualifying. Car was damaged in race. Both were self inflicted wounds but I wouldn't write him off yet. The car is terrible to drive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement