Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you taking part in any LGBTQ events for pride month?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

How to qualify as representative of people who are transgender- be transgender.

She fits the bill.

No she does not represent the transgender community, show us your proof that she does? You have zero proof, be "man enough" in your eyes and own up to your mistake.
    I’m not sure which offended men you’re referring to as delicate offended men - transgender men or transphobic men? Either way it’s still not comparable to the discrimination faced by the traveller community in Irish society, and to claim that you face anything like the same discrimination they face is just laughable.

The transphobic men who get upset at the appearance of another human dressed differently when walking down the street that they resort to verbal abuse and violence. As you know, many trans people have been murdered around the world for the crime of existing.
    Traveller people do not experience transphobe violence and you bringing up traveller experiences is disgraceful as it's not a competition on who suffers more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,202 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

klaaaz wrote: »
    No she does not represent the transgender community, show us your proof that she does? You have zero proof, be "man enough" in your eyes and own up to your mistake.

What mistake? She is transgender, and therefore she is a member of the transgender community. You spoke in another thread about denying people who are transgender their existence, and yet here you are acting as the gatekeeper to deny someone who is transgender their existence. The very thing you’re rallying against, you employ when it suits your purposes.

The transphobic men who get upset at the appearance of another human dressed differently when walking down the street that they resort to verbal abuse and violence. As you know, many trans people have been murdered around the world for the crime of existing.

Yeah, there’s quite a leap there between people (not just men btw as you have been made well aware of) who are put out by the appearance of another human dressed differently when walking down the street, and people who verbally abuse them, and people who murder them. In Irish society, people who are transgender are as safe as anyone else.

Traveller people do not experience transphobe violence and you bringing up traveller experiences is disgraceful as it's not a competition on who suffers more.

No, they experience discrimination, which is what your point was - that people who are transgender experience discrimination. Yes, they do, everyone does, and so in order to qualify what you’re talking about I used the example of a group in Irish society of whom the vast majority experience greater discrimination than any other group in Irish society. It certainly is a competition as to who suffers more, because you made it that way. You want to say people who are transgender experience discrimination, but you don’t want to acknowledge that there are other groups in Irish society which experience greater discrimination, because in the hierarchy of social groups, people who are transgender are generally well to do middle class heterosexual white men. That doesn’t play well with your victim narrative.

What mistake? She is transgender, and therefore she is a member of the transgender community. You spoke in another thread about denying people who are transgender their existence, and yet here you are acting as the gatekeeper to deny someone who is transgender their existence. The very thing you’re rallying against, you employ when it suits your purposes.

Still waiting on your proof that Caityn Jenner is a representative of the trans community. Go on, show us.(deflection does not count)
    Yeah, there’s quite a leap there between people (not just men btw as you have been made well aware of) who are put out by the appearance of another human dressed differently when walking down the street, and people who verbally abuse them, and people who murder them. In Irish society, people who are transgender are as safe as anyone else.

Ha, you a comedian in real life? People who are transgender have been attacked in real life in Irish society, thankfully not murdered yet. Who does the attacking? Upset men.
    No, they experience discrimination, which is what your point was - that people who are transgender experience discrimination. Yes, they do, everyone does, and so in order to qualify what you’re talking about I used the example of a group in Irish society of whom the vast majority experience greater discrimination than any other group in Irish society. It certainly is a competition as to who suffers more, because you made it that way. You want to say people who are transgender experience discrimination, but you don’t want to acknowledge that there are other groups in Irish society which experience greater discrimination, because in the hierarchy of social groups, people who are transgender are generally well to do middle class heterosexual white men. That doesn’t play well with your victim narrative.

That is a seriously warped up fecked up view, a suggestion is to get our of your parents basement and get to know people. Transgender people come from all classes with nearly equal numbers of trans men and trans women. Leave your American white men sh1te out of here, this is Ireland our American pal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I generally don't.

Not that I don't wish all the best, but i want my life to be simple. I just live my life.

As a normal person. No flags.

I just want to be.

It's hard to be an introvert.
    It's also hard to be gay.

Being a person is tough sometimes.
    But it's worth it.

That is a seriously warped up fecked up view, a suggestion is to get our of your parents basement and get to know people. Transgender people come from all classes with nearly equal numbers of trans men and trans women. Leave your American white men sh1te out of here, this is Ireland our American pal.

If that is true, then this is also true -

Still waiting on your proof that Caityn Jenner is a representative of the trans community. Go on, show us.(deflection does not count)

You have provided the proof yourself with your acknowledgment that people who are transgender come from all classes. Caitlyn Jenner just isn’t from the class that you imagine you identify with, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t representative of people who are transgender given that by your own admission they come from all classes.

Ha, you a comedian in real life? People who are transgender have been attacked in real life in Irish society, thankfully not murdered yet. Who does the attacking? Upset men.

Well you’ve contributed fcukall to the discussion only to go on the attack against people you imagine you can humiliate into submission. I’m well used to it by now so I’m not in the least bit upset by your efforts to attack me online at least. I’m just grateful we haven’t ever met because I find you to be a thoroughly unpleasant individual who appears to enjoy trolling people while claiming to be oppressed at the same time, even as a member of a majority group in Irish society. You don’t like it when your membership of a majority is pointed out to you though.

If that is true, then this is also true -

You have provided the proof yourself with your acknowledgment that people who are transgender come from all classes. Caitlyn Jenner just isn’t from the class that you imagine you identify with, but that doesn’t mean she isn’t representative of people who are transgender given that by your own admission they come from all classes.

How does a super rich person residing on a far away continent represent a marginal community? You have to explain that one.
    Well you’ve contributed fcukall to the discussion only to go on the attack against people you imagine you can humiliate into submission. I’m well used to it by now so I’m not in the least bit upset by your efforts to attack me online at least. I’m just grateful we haven’t ever met because I find you to be a thoroughly unpleasant individual who appears to enjoy trolling people while claiming to be oppressed at the same time, even as a member of a majority group in Irish society. You don’t like it when your membership of a majority is pointed out to you though.

Wha and wha is this insane claptrap? As the topic is about Pride, i'm actually looking forward to meeting you with your protesting poster "thou shall judge"!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The pride parade in Dublin just seems to all scummers on the piss/drugs

How does a super rich person residing on a far away continent represent a marginal community? You have to explain that one.

I have explained it to you numerous times already, and you even acknowledged yourself that being transgender is not a matter of one’s social class. The fact that she is either super rich, or super broke, is irrelevant as to whether or not she is transgender. She is transgender, and therefore she is representative of people who are transgender. Being transgender is just one aspect of a person, it’s not the be-all and end-all of who they are as a person, and so you’re in no position to lecture anyone on discrimination when you yourself discriminate against who you imagine is representative of people who are transgender and attempt to exclude them from a narrative that you’re trying to portray.

It just doesn’t map to people’s reality and that’s why they reject your ideology, which is why in order to stay relevant, Pride has had to incorporate corporate sponsorship into their political aspirations if they are to have any hope of survival as what they claim are a marginalised group in society. They’re just not marginalised any more, so they have had to try and incorporate other people such as you mentioned already- people with disabilities and people of colour (they’re not black or Asian people as though they have their own ethnic identity any more, good ol’ white allies have decided they’re now lumped under the heading of “people of colour”).

Wha and wha is this insane claptrap? As the topic is about Pride, i'm actually looking forward to meeting you with your protesting poster "thou shall judge"!

The claptrap about me having any posters or even attending any events was your own invention, I wouldn’t take part in what it’s now become - a cringefest. I don’t know what your problem is with Caitlyn Jenner being from the US seeing as Pride also originated in the US? Do you discriminate against all foreigners, or just those who don’t share your opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

bigpink wrote: »

And morons with whistles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i've been to couple of pride parades to cheer on a friend who was participating but in general, no, i dont care how people cum and i dont define people in that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stephen15 wrote: »
    just like straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's good. You're funny.

I mean it's not like virtually every advertisement contains some level of sexual innuendo aimed at straight people, or entire TV programmes are dedicated to pandering to heterosexuality.

Oh wait, it is. If Love Island consisted entirely of buff gay men flirting and riding, there'd be no end of people condemning the "gay agenda".

The "straight agenda" is completely and utterly all pervasive. It is everywhere, all the time. That's not a bad thing, it's to be expected completely. But to claim that straight people don't shove their sexuality down everyone else's throat shows a massive lack of awareness. It is so normal for straight sexuality to be shoved right in your face and your children's faces, that you don't even see it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

It's genuinely positive that the gay community can march through our streets and be celebrated. However, I just wish the movement would reclaim it from corporate sponsors. It used to be a very political event, when I went a couple of years back it was a relentless procession of Salesforce/Google/Aer Lingus floats. It's about as edgy as a soup spoon now.

Your previously maligned sexuality, brought to you by Aviva. We'll still hike your premiums year on year mind you, but we're on your side in every other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think a month is too long but it is also too short. I would much prefer to see a more genuine integration of lgbt ( add letter as appropriate )etc into all parts of our society. There are still barriers everywhere. Love and life and all that it involves should be about fun and enjoyment.

This corporate bull**** is disingenuous. Companies don't exist to celebrate your identity, they exist to profit from your existance. Don't forget that.

Don't let it become an ordeal. Make sure it's a celebration and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Hmm...on one hand, you've got bandwagoners.

On the other hand, salty religious conservatives, and ultranationalist types who post three hour YouTube sermons whinging about "degeneracy".

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Zaph wrote: »
    A Pride network for LGBTQ staff is being launched where I work this month. I'm not gay, but I'll go to the launch because I feel it's important that my colleagues who are know that they have the support of the non-LGBTQ majority in the company. I hope there's plenty of others who feel the same, although I know there are bound to be some who are not particularly comfortable with "the gays".

Would that not be the assumed default position in this day and age?
    I would expect that my gay colleagues would assume that they have the exact same support (indifference in reality) to their sexuality as my non-gay colleagues.

i dig the party might wander down to stoneybatter for a looksee, the outfits do be fab

hate anyone blocking traffic for any reason

id put them somewhere between "medical emergency" and "water protests" in terms of reason, so yknow its a continuum and theres worse gangs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Would that not be the assumed default position in this day and age?
    I would expect that my gay colleagues would assume that they have the exact same support (indifference in reality) to their sexuality as my non-gay colleagues.

Given some of the outright hostility on this thread i'm not sure i would assume that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Why do LGBTQ people revolve their whole lives around their sexuality ?
    Obsessed with it! We are all equal now, just get on with it like the rest of us do!

I have seen guys with their genitals barely covered in these parades, and people think it's progressive to bring kids to them!!

It's too much.

Obsessed with it! We are all equal now, just get on with it like the rest of us do!

I have seen guys with their genitals barely covered in these parades, and people think it's progressive to bring kids to them!!

It's too much.

barely covered? so they were covered. Dont bring your kids to the beach either, there might be blokes there wearing budgie smugglers.

• Advertisement

barely covered? so they were covered. Dont bring your kids to the beach either, there might be blokes there wearing budgie smugglers.

Beach isn't a sexualised environment, don;t worry I wouldn't bring my kids to a LGB parade march, just like I wouldn't bring them to a strip club either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

All I'm saying is gays should keep their sexuality to themselves not go around banging the LGBT drum you know just like straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.

How and when do straight people do that?

Beach isn't a sexualised environment, don;t worry I wouldn't bring my kids to a LGB parade march, just like I wouldn't bring them to a strip club either.

I'm sure the lack of your presence will be a real downer.

Berserker wrote: »
    How and when do straight people do that?

They don't , that's the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Not a chance.

They don't , that's the point.

they dont? we are constantly bombarded with heterosexual sexuality. it is everywhere in society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

bigpink wrote: »

Must say, I didn't see that last year. We were gone by about 6.30pm though. We were up at it with our kids last year. Pretty decent family friendly day with a great carnival atmosphere if a tad overdone on the corporate sponsorship side but still, decent vibes throughout the day. I grew up around some very homophobic people so it's nice to see how things have changed. Can't say I saw one set of assless chaps the whole day. Going on holidays a week or so after pride so mightn't make it up this year to hold on to a bit of money but would probably be up otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

they dont? we are constantly bombarded with heterosexual sexuality. it is everywhere in society.
    That doesn't count though because it doesn't make them uncomfortable. We're talking about de queeors here and how they should pretend they don't exist so that a few people can feel a little bit less uncomfortable about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

no. and why does it have to be a month fgs?

The list of sponsors got too long for a day I'd say.

D3V!L wrote: »
    How does it differ from a non gay one ? Or at least a match where people don't have to tell you about where they put their willy.

Exactly, can you imagine the uproar if there was a straights only rugby tournament ?

Christ, can't people see the problem with identity politics ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It used to be a day didn't it, when did it switch to pride month?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    That doesn't count though because it doesn't make them uncomfortable. We're talking about de queeors here and how they should pretend they don't exist so that a few people can feel a little bit less uncomfortable about it.

Missing the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

biko wrote: »
    It used to be a day didn't it, when did it switch to pride month?

When people realised that they could make money from it.

mdk_kdm wrote: »
    Because society has deemed you must be subjected to rainbow flags and reminded of BLTQ issues on a daily basis.

And look at the entertainment it gives you.

It's a left wing virtue signalling agenda being shoved down our throats.
    Well maybe your throats shouldn't be so vulnerable and well presented for a shoving.

straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.

HAve you ever had to sit through a Disney film as a child, heterosexuality is rammed down our throats from birth.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Why do the LGBTQ community regularly show such strong support for Islam and Muslim groups.

They don't. They'll probably show support for people who were shot in Auckland on a human level and things like that, but that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,102 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Straight white male here.

Not specifically doing anything for it and I don't like big public gatherings like Paddy's Day or anything so that's not my gig anyway. I am a passively tolerant bloke with friends from all over the spectrum so I don't feel the need to 'prove' any tolerance. If there is a 5-a-side or other sponsored event for it I may take part alright.

I wonder how parts of the LGBTQI+ community feel about corporate sponsors co-opting the pride movement for their corporate ends.Is it positive or cynical? Anyways - best of luck to those who it affects.

Very mixed views on it. I take the cynical side.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

When did I mention George Soros? All I'm saying is gays should keep their sexuality to themselves not go around banging the LGBT drum you know just like straight people don't push their straightness down gays throats.

No never. We never see any straight PDAs in the street. Never see big massive straight weddings. Never see straight couples holding hands. Talk about hilarious shiite - straight people are always flaunting their heterosexuality.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Omackeral wrote: »
    So this is just gonna turn into another Muslim thread I take it? Like the gay women on the bus one.

Yep. Lets shoehorn in Muslim bashing. AH is lierally a parody of itself at this stage.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

cgcsb wrote: »
    They don't. They'll probably show support for people who were shot in Auckland on a human level and things like that, but that's about it.

Nope, there has definitely been a push towards a kind of anti-right wing solidarity. E.g.

https://www.attitude.co.uk/article/members-of-the-lgbt-community-must-stand-behind-under-fire-muslims/19858/

lgbt_brum_web.jpg

I understand on a basic level, one persecuted group standing alongside another. But the fact remains that Islam has an even harder line against homosexuality than Christianity, but I've never seen any LGBT groups standing against persecution of Christians (which is on the rise globally).

To be clear, I wouldn't expect LGBT groups to stand along side Christians if those Christians say that homosexuality is sinful. But I'm confused as to why they do stand alongside Islam. Yes of course there are Muslim groups who play down traditional Islam's condemnation of homosexuality and even some groups of "queer Muslims" etc. But there are Christian groups of the same mindset.

• Advertisement

tintin67 wrote: »
    I presume certain businesses have seen that there's a lot of money to be made out of it. Can't see any other reason it would be extended to a whole month.

Unless you're a cake shop / bakery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I personally have no interest in it whatsoever - I'm not opposed per se, but I kinda find it gaudy and unnecessary. A month is fúcking ridiculous.

I can't understand the mindset of people who bring kids to events like a gay parade, just why?

Sexuality is an adult concern. I couldn't care less about anyones sexuality bar my own. I have no desire to oppress yours but I also have no desire to celebrate it, praise it or advance it. I just don't care, it's none of my business.

rusty cole wrote: »
    Unless you're a cake shop / bakery

still plenty of money to be made. If they dont want that money that is their lookout.

I personally have no interest in it whatsoever - I'm not opposed per se, but I kinda find it gaudy and unnecessary. A month is fúcking ridiculous.

I can't understand the mindset of people who bring kids to events like a gay parade, just why?

Sexuality is an adult concern. I couldn't care less about anyones sexuality bar my own. I have no desire to oppress yours but I also have no desire to celebrate it, praise it or advance it. I just don't care, it's none of my business.

maybe the parents of those kids are gay themselves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

maybe the parents of those kids are gay themselves?

Maybe they are.

Sexuality is still an adult concern, kids should not be involved.

It doesn't for anyone, but that it annoys the likes of you is a huge incentive.
    How do you recon that? we've been legally equal for 4 years and we were legally actively oppressed up until 18 years ago.

But legal and social don't always match.

seamus wrote: »

That's it in a nutshell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In case there is interest from peeps in Galway
    Dates and venues

http://galwaypride.com/
    https://www.instagram.com/galway.pride/
    http://amachlgbt.com/

cgcsb wrote: »
    That's it in a nutshell

No, it's not. Just because Seamus is out to score brownie points doesn't mean he's right.

Simple fact is, most people just couldn't care less. Do what you do, let me do what I do, stop making a big bloody deal out of things and give over expecting me to applaud you being you.

That's it, in a nutshell.

Pride? Yawn.

• Advertisement

Exactly, can you imagine the uproar if there was a straights only rugby tournament ?

Christ, can't people see the problem with identity politics ?

You would have a point other than the lgbt union cup has plenty of straight participants. It isn't an exclusionary event, it's merely one that specifically supports gay people in sports, who otherwise often face intimidation and abuse. If you aren't gay though, you don't really have a valid view on the matter, how could you, you've never been excluded from anything on the basis of sexuality.

Advertisement