Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Regular Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Sympathies too to Big Papi who’s been shot in the DR. Injuries not life threatening apparently so at least that’s good to hear.

Terrible news. Lets hope he makes a full recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Some guys are quick out of the blocks

https://twitter.com/RotoWear/status/1137870680198983680

ShyMets wrote: »
    Terrible news. Lets hope he makes a full recovery

From the New York Post so maybe take with a pinch of salt but they're alleging that he was shot by two police officers on behalf of a drug dealer because Papi was having an affair with his wife.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/10/drug-lord-may-have-hired-david-ortiz-shooter-over-alleged-affair-with-his-wife/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

From the New York Post so maybe take with a pinch of salt but they're alleging that he was shot by two police officers on behalf of a drug dealer because Papi was having an affair with his wife.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/10/drug-lord-may-have-hired-david-ortiz-shooter-over-alleged-affair-with-his-wife/

Grain of good size. The post is quoting the Daily Mail (Murdoch papers quoting each other... scary)

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Plus the video shows 1 guy shooting Big Papi, not 2.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Papi.

13 home runs in the Philly v Arizona game last night. More ammunition for the ‘ball is juiced’ argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Igotadose wrote: »
    Grain of good size. The post is quoting the Daily Mail (Murdoch papers quoting each other... scary)

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. Plus the video shows 1 guy shooting Big Papi, not 2.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Papi.

No smoke without fire, it was an assassination attempt not a robbery or anything. So he was definitely ****ing around somewhere he shouldn't have been. Mind you I read somewhere it was a drug dealers daughter not wife.

No smoke without fire, it was an assassination attempt not a robbery or anything. So he was definitely ****ing around somewhere he shouldn't have been. Mind you I read somewhere it was a drug dealers daughter not wife.

Latest in the NY post is that the bad guys were after someone else.
    Of course, we don't know and I expect it'll be awhile for the DR authorities to say what happened. Seems like the gangsters were wanted in the US for crimes there as well. 7 so far charged.

Papi's now had 2 surgeries, and is in the ICU in Boston. Best wishes again.

Latest in the NY post is that the bad guys were after someone else.
    Of course, we don't know and I expect it'll be awhile for the DR authorities to say what happened. Seems like the gangsters were wanted in the US for crimes there as well. 7 so far charged.

Papi's now had 2 surgeries, and is in the ICU in Boston. Best wishes again.

I thought the DR authorities already confirmed that it was an assassination attempt. The fellows being charged have admitted to taking money for it and did the alleged mistress not show up at the hospital? Though I thought I saw all of that on someone reputable enough, CNN maybe?

Regardless hope he makes a full recovery. Seemed like a genuinely decent guy, played the game the right way.

played the game the right way.

Apart from when he was taking steroids. Allegedly.

Apart from when he was taking steroids. Allegedly.

Meh couldn't care less about steroids to be quite honest with you. If you've ever stood at the plate and had a 90mph fastball go by you the idea that steroids can make you Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire or Sammy Sosa will soon be gone.

• Advertisement

Intentional balk for anyone who's interested

I love to see this. Bunting against the shift and getting a double.

https://twitter.com/Cardinals/status/1140797879390527488

Mets fire pitching coach Dave Eiland, and replace him with 82 year old Phil Regan: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842035-mets-hire-82-year-old-ex-sandy-koufax-teammate-phil-regan-as-pitching-coach

82 years old.... I hope he can hack the travel. I imagine the talk radio in NYC is going nuts.

Having attended an Expos game at Olympic Stadium (*cough* looks at the calendar and sighs), I can see this working, it was a fun place to watch a game. My guess is they'll do the 'must have a new stadium with a roof' thing. Tampa's never been a great town for baseball, always a very empty park.

Having attended an Expos game at Olympic Stadium (*cough* looks at the calendar and sighs), I can see this working, it was a fun place to watch a game. My guess is they'll do the 'must have a new stadium with a roof' thing. Tampa's never been a great town for baseball, always a very empty park.

Well the Tampa Bay major seems to have killed the idea already. So it was good in theory for about 3 hours.

Mets fire pitching coach Dave Eiland, and replace him with 82 year old Phil Regan: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842035-mets-hire-82-year-old-ex-sandy-koufax-teammate-phil-regan-as-pitching-coach

82 years old.... I hope he can hack the travel. I imagine the talk radio in NYC is going nuts.

I saw him running out to the mound during the game against the Cubs yesterday. Still a bit of life in him. He was moving fairly quickly for an 82 year old.

I saw him running out to the mound during the game against the Cubs yesterday. Still a bit of life in him. He was moving fairly quickly for an 82 year old.

Was at a friend's in Ventry a week or two back. Her husband, 83 years old, saw his son coming in on his boat with a few fishboxes full of lobsters (I think.) Husband hopped over the wall, ran down to the jetty, helped pull in the boat with a rope and unload the fishboxes. Does this most days.

Oh, he leads a local hillwalking club on the weekends, too.

I want to be half that spry when I'm his age. Heck, I'd settle for being healthy and active and *reaching* that age.

Genetics and how you live your life. Regan was a professional athlete (one of Sandy Koufax's teammates at one point. His first MLB manager was born in 1896.) So, the genes are there. And a couple of the Met's pitchers have said positive things about him already.

What gets you in advance age is that your 'reserve', what you need to recover from illness/injury, is depleted so small things can cause big impacts on your life. Have seen it many times with elderly relatives who do fine on their own for decades, then something small and poof, that's it. Herself's aunt was fine on her own till she reached 100, then just a few months after an illness and gone. But, she lived to be 100 on her own, baking cookies every day and quite active.

50+ years of following the Mets. Even when the team does well, it can't look good in the media. 1986 team was a big scrapping fraternity. 1988 David Cone's masturbating in front of female reporters. Saberhagen spraying them with bleach a couple years later. Firecrackers. And on, and on. Such a culture of 'pounce on the Mets no matter what they do' in the NY media. Y*****s don't get nearly the negative coverage, not to say everything they do gets gilded by the media but it sure seems like it, especially nationwide coverage.

Got an old rookie hitting nearly .350 with crazy amounts of hits. A true rookie blasting homeruns. But, what's in the media? A manager getting into it with a reporter.

I suppose if this went on *and* the team were winning, it'd be downplayed. Like Billy Martin/Reggie Jackson. Or George Steinbrenner the convicted felon (was his conviction eventually pardoned? I think so.) Hardly newsworthy.
    Seems like that only happens to the Y*****s.

Meh. Same old Mets. Same old NY and national media.

Callaway’s out of his depth though. Even I knew that Lugo was gassed on Sunday but he still sent him out for a second inning.

• Advertisement

Callaway’s out of his depth though. Even I knew that Lugo was gassed on Sunday but he still sent him out for a second inning.

He has to go before the team completely implodes.

Reports (denied by the team) that BVW managing the team from upstairs and texting in game changes to MC. Ridiculous if true.

Reports (denied by the team) that BVW managing the team from upstairs and texting in game changes to MC. Ridiculous if true.

If true then he has to go. If only to preserve his own dignity

28 games in a row now for the Yankees with a Home Run.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

28 games in a row now for the Yankees with a Home Run.
    The only thing that can stop the Yankees winning the world series this year is injuries imo.There lineup is so stacked and you imagine they will add to it ,be interesting to see if they can grab max from Washington or even get Bungarner.Sabathia and Happ wont cut it in the postseason.

The only thing that can stop the Yankees winning the world series this year is injuries imo.There lineup is so stacked and you imagine they will add to it ,be interesting to see if they can grab max from Washington or even get Bungarner.Sabathia and Happ wont cut it in the postseason.

I'd say it'll be Bumgarner out of those two. a month ago you could have seen the Nats looking to trade Scherzer but they've come on a lot recently and even though they're still 8 games back, that's nothing at the start of July.

Poor old Mickey now seems to think that if a bullpen is awful for some part of the season, the law of averages means that it'll be good for the rest to balance not all out. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. If a bullpen is crap, it's because it is crap and will stay crap.

Poor old Mickey now seems to think that if a bullpen is awful for some part of the season, the law of averages means that it'll be good for the rest to balance not all out. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. If a bullpen is crap, it's because it is crap and will stay crap.

Looks like he's been listening to many old Terry Collins interviews:D

As being a lifelong Mets fan is an exercise in enduring suffering, I thought I'd look at the thread here from a year ago. I love this from Jack:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Contemplated going to the Phillies v Mets game tonight but decided it’ll be more fun to go see the Lehigh Valley Ironpigs which is the Phil’s Triple-A team

Go pigs

Advertisement