Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds, Heavy Rain Wintry Weather : Sat 2nd to Mon 4th March 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

Snowing steadily here for past hour,started wet but now sticking ,east kerry,170 m asl..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy rain here in cork city. About 5 degrees atm and winds starting to pick up a small bit but not much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Kerry airport: 3°c (DP 2°c)
    Shannon airport: 4°c (DP 2°c)

Slightly cooler than I had expected at half 11.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Storm Freya not showing the very strong winds as earlier shown by the models, the track has slightly moved more S keeping the strongest winds offshore but will be windy along S, SE and later E coasts for a time , probably gusting 70 to 80 km/h .

Relatively slow moving system. The models in general not showing as big precipitation accumulations as earlier runs but still large area getting over 20mm. ECM is probably a good average of the models at this stage.

anim_vun5.gif

NdA1IJO.png

JYRHtaB.png

qwaZOi5.png

DroM5kr.png

jKYpmLH.png

g422ruW.png

zKvuQG7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

3.9c in Kildare. Didn’t think it would be this cold this early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Wet-bulb temperatures will be well above zero so evaporative cooling will be limited to that.
    I understand that you go completely by what the data shows and keep any emotions at bay but we're getting reports of heavy and sticking snow already and at relatively low levels. Is this giving you cause to reconsider what will evolve during the day, based on what is actually happening now rather than what the data is showing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

pad199207 wrote: »
    3.9c in Kildare. Didn’t think it would be this cold this early.

Yeah was thinking more in the afternoon. Down to 2.9C , Dp 1.9C now here near Tralee.

10.4mm

highdef wrote: »
    I understand that you go completely by what the date shows and keep any emotions at bay but we're getting reports of heavy and sticking snow already and at relatively low levels. Is this giving you cause to reconsider what will evolve during the day, based on what is actually happening now rather than what the data is showing?

To be fair, it's a single report, I'd wait for more. And that user does have an elevation.

I am very surprised however at how low the temperatures are this early.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Snowing heavy with well over an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

je551e wrote: »
    Snowing heavy with well over an hour

Where?

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Where?

Kerry, 170m asl. All established a page back.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

JCX BXC wrote: »

150m asl Killarney

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Was that not kmoneill?

Heavy sleet turning to heavy wet snow here near Tralee now but splashing in the puddles when it lands :pac:

just above sea level.

2.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

We have at least an inch of snow here, completely off guard. Heavy snow for the last hour or so.
    Forgot no location now. Abbeyfeale 860ft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Heavy sleet turning to heavy wet snow here near Tralee now.

2.4C

I think the East is going to get some snow later if like that out west.

Heavy sleet right down to sealevel here in West Clare!

ch750536 wrote: »
    We have at least an inch of snow here, completely off guard. Heavy snow for the last hour or so.
    Forgot no location now. Abbeyfeale 860ft.
    You may be digging yourself out tomorrow morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Still moderate rain here near Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Rotten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Steady rain, little or no wind down around Kilmuckridge, Ballygarret, Wexford.

Just to add to the mix of weather this weekend looks like some heavy rain later tonight / early Monday turning to showers with the chance of hail and thunder .

anim_oko0.gif

ibYXObD.png

anim_rny9.gif

anim_kmo2.gif

GdKJcOj.png

CvRRg2j.png

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Snowing now - wet muck after about an hour of sleet. Not sticking. South Co Limerick. Dont know what the elevation is......best I could describe it is up a bit on a hill? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

highdef wrote: »
    You may be digging yourself out tomorrow morning!

don't get my hopes up, am dreading a few things tomorrow .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Icy bits in the rain here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Temp has gone down a degree in Arklow in the last hour
    Currently 5.4c
    Dew point 3.3c
    Continuous rain
    I'd imagine this is falling as snow near Lugnaquilla or will be shortly if the temp decline continues
    Wind is WNW which if it continues at that direction will lower the snow level and bring it closer to the coast I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Serious amount of rain fallen in Cork city since the early hours and still raining. All todays games in my kids football league were called off last night - fair dues to the organisers for acting decisively rather than having parents dealing with the unknown until the last minute. Any real pitch well waterlogged at this stage.

Proper snow falling now here near Tralee, temp still falling and now at 1.3C

13.4mm reading in the gauge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Temp has risen here in Cork according to Cork Airport, up to 7 degrees now. Assuming its because we are near the center or the storm?

• Advertisement
Advertisement