Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XI (The Finals Countdown)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Matt Cooper made a fair point earlier, to finish the Champions Cup this year they only need a 14 day window to have a quarter, semi and final in a row - a venue that is safe and thay doesn't exclusively have to be in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Matt Cooper made a fair point earlier, to finish the Champions Cup this year they only need a 14 day window to have a quarter, semi and final in a row - a venue that is safe and thay doesn't exclusively have to be in Europe.

Where is that? According to report this morning virus is in every country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The virus is pretty much worldwide and it would be reckless to send players travelling anywhere until this is sorted. Matt likes to hear from Matt.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Where is that? According to report this morning virus is in every country

At the minute but Asia could come out of it faster than Europe in the coming months.

Anyway, it won't happen but was interesting.

At the minute but Asia could come out of it faster than Europe in the coming months.

Anyway, it won't happen but was interesting.

You listening to Trump and that it will die with the heat :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Letter from Mick Dawson, Leinster Rugby CEO
    Dear Steve,

On my own behalf and on behalf of everyone in Leinster Rugby I would like to thank you most sincerely for your support, understanding and patience since the announcement last week that all rugby activities at a professional and a domestic level would be suspended with immediate effect.

As it currently stands that is still the situation with the Guinness PRO14 and the European Champions Cup and we remain committed to finding a resolution in the coming months however all domestic rugby activity for 2019/20 has now been cancelled formally.

I appreciate that as Season Ticket Holders you will have many questions, and possibly frustrations, with this impasse and while it is difficult to provide complete reassurance what I would like to say is that I, together with other Branch representatives, are working very hard with the IRFU, the other three provinces and the tournament organisers to ensure a successful resolution to this situation.

Until that time, we would ask you to retain tickets for all games. It is still our hope that Leo Cullen and his players will resume playing in front of a packed RDS Arena and Aviva Stadium and that the 2019/20 season will play out over the Summer months.

That being said, the health of our supporters, of our volunteers, of our coaches, of our referees, of our players and of our administrators and staff will continue to be our number one priority.

I would like to thank the Official Leinster Supporters Club, their President Laura Lysaght and their Committee that have helped us and given a voice to you, the supporters, over the last few weeks and are a crucial stakeholder as we look to negotiate the road ahead.

At some point, we will come through this and it is then that your support will be needed more than ever. That support in terms of Season Tickets sales and your attendance at our games is the lifeblood that allows us to put rugby balls in the hands of over 75,000 boys and girls, men and women every week.

Our ‘From The Ground Up’ model cannot function without the 12,838 Season Ticket Holders and I would ask you to bear with us as we all negotiate the weeks and months ahead.

Of course should you have any queries we will do our very best to answer them and tickets@leinsterrugby.ie is the best avenue available.

Please however note that the office in UCD will be closed from Monday, 23rd March until further notice.

Please continue to follow the HSE for your Covid-19 updates. We can all play our part.

Stay safe.

Michael Dawson
    CEO, Leinster Rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The final isn't going to happen for the simple reason that the French and English clubs will prioritise their domestic seasons over Europe.

There isn't enough time to finish both. Sport isn't going to resume until May at the very earliest at least, that's two months of fixtures lost, probably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

troyzer wrote: »
    The final isn't going to happen for the simple reason that the French and English clubs will prioritise their domestic seasons over Europe.

There isn't enough time to finish both. Sport isn't going to resume until May at the very earliest at least, that's two months of fixtures lost, probably more.

In Varadkars speech yesterday, or maybe a comment he made afterwards he said something about the schools closing for 12 weeks, which would end in Mid June. Factor in the need to run a mini pre season etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think the only way to get it back, at the end of whatever everyone else is doing, if it can resume would be a short turnaround like 14 days, but with extended squads. To allow for rotation and prevent players getting flogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think the only way to get it back, at the end of whatever everyone else is doing, if it can resume would be a short turnaround like 14 days, but with extended squads. To allow for rotation and prevent players getting flogged.
    teams have up to 44 players registered already for European games already and there isnt anything going to change to allow more rotation within games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

The one standing thing that will endure in this crisis is is that Dan Leavy will come back and the overhype of Connors will be our in perspective. VDF have been the best Leinster player this season although you wouldn’t know it with the Conners hype. Hopefully Leavys re introduction will bring a new perspective on the 7 position going forward.

Granny15 wrote: »
    The one standing thing that will endure in this crisis is is that Dan Leavy will come back and the overhype of Connors will be our in perspective. VDF have been the best Leinster player this season although you wouldn’t know it with the Conners hype. Hopefully Leavys re introduction will bring a new perspective on the 7 position going forward.

Why would you say Connors is overhyped?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why would you say Connors is overhyped?

Obviously porridge screwed his mother..

No other reason for his psychotic hatred of the young chap

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ringrose rumoured to have signed central contract.

Lovely passage of play - howler of a restart from Ramos and Leinster seem to switch up a gear or two. Couple of minutes before and after the try which really showcase why so many rate Lowe for Ireland. Start at 15:30

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Well, Leinster have just confirmed to season ticket holders that we're getting a scarf next year.

Thank God, I was running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Lovely passage of play - howler of a restart from Ramos and Leinster seem to switch up a gear or two. Couple of minutes before and after the try which really showcase why so many rate Lowe for Ireland. Start at 15:30

Not seeing this year's team get the chance to cement their legacy as maybe the best team ever, is my biggest sporting frustration. Seems the only thing that can defeat them is a global pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Cracking game. Toulouse threw everything they had a Leinster in the first 10mins. Then Leinster blew them away. Narrative going into the game was the size of Toulouse pack and Sextons questionable form going into it. Leinster blew them away. Remember Lowe having some huge moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ah I think most people had Leinster as big favourites going into the game. They had already taken apart the massive pack in the RDS and shown that they couldn't live with sustained high pace. Toulouse winning would have been a big upset.

Actually that RDD game had one of my favourite moments of the season when JGP threw that ridiculous pass to Adam Byrne for the BP.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Buer wrote: »
    Ah I think most people had Leinster as big favourites going into the game. They had already taken apart the massive pack in the RDS and shown that they couldn't live with sustained high pace. Toulouse winning would have been a big upset.

Actually that RDD game had one of my favourite moments of the season when JGP threw that ridiculous pass to Adam Byrne for the BP.

Tbh I was very disappointed with Toulouse that day (in the Aviva). I didnt think they gave a good enough account of themselves. After the absolute belter of a game in October I was hoping we'd see a really competitive fixture. It ended up not really being competitive at all.

• Advertisement

The Final against Saracens was such a let down. We really made so many uncharacteristic mistakes. Ringtone blowing that overlap was killer.

The Final against Saracens was such a let down. We really made so many uncharacteristic mistakes. Ringtone blowing that overlap was killer.

I dont think it was a let down, we got beat by the better side. Play the same teams the next week and we could have won

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭Scottmactom

How could it not be a let down unless you thought Leinster had no chance?

The biggest let down was they didn't perform to potential... Now was that because of Saracens? Almost certainly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Leinster are showing the entire Heineken Cup QF against Wasps on their YouTube channel. Just started a few mins ago for anyone interested

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The try conceded before halftime was the absolute worst. I though Sarries were fairly firm favourites going into the game to be honest, but when Leinster went 10-0 up I could never have envisaged them failing to score again. Such a shame we in all likelihood won't get the rematch now.

How could it not be a let down unless you thought Leinster had no chance?

The biggest let down was they didn't perform to potential... Now was that because of Saracens? Almost certainly.

I think you are getting disappointed and let down confused,.

Of course I was disappointed, I was really looking forward to winning and with everyone knowing the dodgy book keeping of Sarreis it would have rubbed it in their face.....

It wasn't a let down as I think Leinster played well but the try before half time killed us. After that Sarries played well. But as I mentioned if they played the following week with the same teams it would be a different games and I would expect Leinster to win.

If Leinster had got hammered out the gate by 40 points then yes it would have been a let down, they didn't. As they say the rub of the green wasn't with us, pick yourself up and move on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Conceding 20 unanswered points is a let-down.

I watched some of that Wasps game last night and it struck me how much has changed in just a few years in prem rugby.

Wasps were second best on the day but had LeRoux held onto that ball who knows, it was a tight game in parts - take away home advantage and the score is most likely a lot narrower.

Fast forward two years and Wasps are not in the same league at all. Leicester similarly have gone to the dogs and the Northampton head coach admitted this season that they just aren't at the same tier as Leinster. Sale are a fairly ordinary team but sit second in the Prem with Exeter the only team you would look at and consider a genuinely well run rugby club.

Sarries are now gone for the foreseeable and most clubs were in debt before Covid so must be in a dire situation now. Even taking covid out of the equation though and I think prem rugby was in a lot more bother than people realised.

Anyone's guess where the money will come from now. All these sports bodies are going to absolutely spring into the red from a cashflow perspective. Professional sport might be a few months away from needing a complete rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I watched some of that Wasps game last night and it struck me how much has changed in just a few years in prem rugby.

Wasps were second best on the day but had LeRoux held onto that ball who knows, it was a tight game in parts - take away home advantage and the score is most likely a lot narrower.

Fast forward two years and Wasps are not in the same league at all. Leicester similarly have gone to the dogs and the Northampton head coach admitted this season that they just aren't at the same tier as Leinster. Sale are a fairly ordinary team but sit second in the Prem with Exeter the only team you would look at and consider a genuinely well run rugby club.

Sarries are now gone for the foreseeable and most clubs were in debt before Covid so must be in a dire situation now. Even taking covid out of the equation though and I think prem rugby was in a lot more bother than people realised.

Anyone's guess where the money will come from now. All these sports bodies are going to absolutely spring into the red from a cashflow perspective. Professional sport might be a few months away from needing a complete rethink.
    Premiership rugby is at a really low standard. I read journalists and fans calling Bristol a good team - watched 2 or 3 of their games over the christmas period and the standard was absolutely appalling.

• Advertisement

Maybe this is the opportunity needed to evolve the game. A B&I league or better, reform the global calendar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement