Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prey aka Predator 5 (Dan Trachtenberg)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

To be fair, pretty much all the Predator movies except the first one, and maybe the second one have by and large been absolute garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

"An overpowered Mary Sue" — please stop importing shite American culture war phrases like this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Not that overcorrecting in the opposite direction is the right move in pop culture ... but crying foul because the male power fantasies of yore might be replaced with female ones seems a tad hypocritical and hyperbolic. [Power fantasies] for me, but not for thee eh?

Are there folk who think the men in Predator '87 were complex, nuanced, realistic human beings? And before anyone even mentions politics: that cast also contained two eventual State Governors 'n all 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The paying audience is being asked to suspend disbelief for any film, its up to the people who make films not to tear that to shreds. In this case the Original Predator film was great, A squad of elite and heavily armed troops versus an Alien that thinks its just up against some natives. Our 20th century alien didnt even rate the female prisoner as a threat, the Predators must be bad at passing down lore that a single female took them down 400 years in the past lol

If they go down the dumb route there will be lots of scenes with our heroin beating the men of the tribe at the start at all sorts of physical stuff to show she is the bestest evar, if so my brain will just go fook off film, or they might do it in a clever way where my brain will go, I can buy that

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, you sit and think for it a minute and the idea that a bunch of 'roid muscle men were some kind of elite Seal Team 6 type was already kinda ludicrous. One tends not to send giant mountains, armed with mini-guns on missions that require stealth, precision and whatnot 😉 The franchise as it expanded steered away from physical prowess anyway, the sequel the obvious indicator, between Detective Murtaugh as the protagonist, and things like the wild west revolver as a trophy.

There has only been that single logline anyway, a plot that sounds suspiciously like a sci-fi rebrand of Mulan, Brave and dozens of stories across history of the "woman proves she can fight as well as the men" style. On the physicality side, I'd be doubtful the film will be that stupid, rather it really steers into the aforementioned inspirations and make her the best with the bow & arrow and general tracking/hunting. Which would absolutely gel with the idea of a worthy foe for the Predator, if it's just the final act of '87 writ large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A squad of elite and heavily armed troops versus an Alien that thinks its just up against some natives.

What do you mean here? It was actively looking for armed foes.

Our 20th century alien didnt even rate the female prisoner as a threat

It didn't perceive the males as threats either. They were trophies. Sport. She was unarmed and had her hands tied so wasn't seen as fair game. I mean, this is the whole premise of the entire franchise.

If they went with the original animated film, there is a path to a good film, if they think the recent Mulan film is a template then it will be hot garbage

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

I thought Amber Midthunder was atrocious in "Legion". Spent most of her time with a furrowed brow trying to look mean with her mouth hanging open. But she has some Native American blood in her so the mouse house will eat that up.

Still waiting for that title change 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well the title there says "Skulls" so a slight change again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Watched the last two Liam Nesson action movies The Ice Road & The Marksman and Amber Midthunder was in both she has an ok screen presence however nothing to show she has the charisma lead a movie.

The few times it had out and out action, her character was usually the one dishing out the blows in Legion; she cut the right figure for the fight scenes IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

'Sea of sorrows' & 'Out o f the Shadows' are both good audiobooks. I think some are available on youtube

The title is finally official: "Prey" and will arrive summer 2022...

@johnny_ultimate time to change the thread title 😆

Straight to Hulu ouch that's not a good sign.

To paraphrase Arnie: "They did the same thing to Home Alone". By which I mean beloved franchise used as fodder for a streaming service.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Possibly more a reflection on the previous film than this one

Ouch, hadn't seen that. That's disappointing; may also be the relative budget and clout of the film. If studios might shunt to streaming the small stuff, cinema further becoming the place of showy theme park blockbusters.

• Advertisement

the art work looks great, striking pic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Do you think they will make it so the one of the characters turns out to be Billy ancestor?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Didn't stop The Predator from getting a theatrical release.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Going back to basics is the way to go, a tense jungle battle like the original.

However the fact that its Disney behind it and the lead is a female teenage character makes me feel it will be some Mary Sue nonsense with the Predator reduced to a shadow of himself.

Expectations will be low so hopefully it will be a decent film.

Very much more teaser than trailer eh. Damnit I'm in. And it's only cos Dan Trachtenberg is a good, professional director. Mind you; last Predator movie was a frickin', Shane Black joint and look how that turned out.

Also, had forgotten this is a Hulu original. So disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Yeah hope there’s no Mary Sue, maybe some more autism Sue like in The Predator.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Trailer looks ok.

Cant be as bad as the last abomination.

• Advertisement

I wonder will they go with the native American's speaking their own language and subtitle it or will they all speak fluent English in 1719 when they do speak

Advertisement