Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil VIIIage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

petes wrote: »
    Finished it there tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it.

How long did it take to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    How long did it take to you?

About 8 and a half hours, playing on normal. Will definitely play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

petes wrote: »
    About 8 and a half hours, playing on normal. Will definitely play again.

I’m about 7 hours in and have only just done the third boss, I suspect it will take me a lot longer than yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,128 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have only played up til the start of the castle, but it’s decent so far. Surprised how much Resi 4 influence has snuck in. But very much a follow up to 7, for better and worse. There’s something unsatisfying about shooting the Lycans with the pistol - the gun feels too weak, and their enemies’ are too sporadic. But shooting was the worst part of 7 too. At least the shotgun still packs a wallop.

I said it about the demo, but it’s absolutely true about the full thing: this is the best utilisation of HDR I’ve seen. Maybe it’s just the art direction choices, but by god the fires, the daylight, the lamps, any lighting really seriously pop. Looks great overall - although the staggering texture detail of some items makes the odd blurry door texture jump out all the more :p

Just got to the typewrite at Beneviento House. Jesus, it's too late to play something that creepy :pac:

• Advertisement

Just got to the typewrite at Beneviento House. Jesus, it's too late to play something that creepy :pac:

You should go ahead and follow this instinct....................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

So I just finished up Beneviento House late last night, that was absolutely brilliant, cant see it getting any better than that sadly but that was worth my 17 euro along haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

I think I messed up my game. The first time you meet the duke arent you supposed to pick up a load of free stuff? Well I didnt do this before entering the castle. Now I can't go back as the path is blocked and when you meet the duke inside the castle there isn't free stuff anymore?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    I think I messed up my game. The first time you meet the duke arent you supposed to pick up a load of free stuff? Well I didnt do this before entering the castle. Now I can't go back as the path is blocked and when you meet the duke inside the castle there isn't free stuff anymore?

It's just a little bit of ammo. And with how these games work I'm pretty sure the AI system will be dealing out just enough ammo to keep you on your toes so you won't be screwed over.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's just a little bit of ammo. And with how these games work I'm pretty sure the AI system will be dealing out just enough ammo to keep you on your toes so you won't be screwed over.

Yupp, just a health drink and ammo, you won't notice them. Saying that, it's weird that they disappear, they should stay in his inventory as separate items with 0 value.

After the castle, I went cleaning up the village of red rooms. Headed back into the church to save and found a nice little addition. Could have easily missed that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

That was the case for me, there were items like ammo available between multiple encounters, but they did not make a big difference.
    Exploring and killing instead of running will yield a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,682 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The gun powder barrels are very handy when enemies are coming for you. Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Cordell

Well of course they are, that's why they're there for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Just finished the castle. Love it so far

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Think I'm nearly through the game on hardcore and only now realized that there is health and stamina upgrade system in the game :pac:

Enjoying the game. Looks great and generally runs quite well but I've had a few crashes.

Do feel this games make a potential remake of RE4 redundant. Would be covering a lot of the same ground.

Yupp, just a health drink and ammo, you won't notice them. Saying that, it's weird that they disappear, they should stay in his inventory as separate items with 0 value.

After the castle, I went cleaning up the village of red rooms. Headed back into the church to save and found a nice little addition. Could have easily missed that.

Yea it has the same kind of treasure embedded in ceilings and walls as RE4, but unlike that game it doesn't make them obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Can you turn the bobbing off?

Markitron wrote: »
    You should go ahead and follow this instinct....................

Thank **** I didn't play that last night, incredible level!!
    SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Can you turn the bobbing off?

Yupp, You can turn off camera wobble in the options.

Just finished it, clear time just shy of 10 hours, fantastic game. Goes absolutely bonkers at times but in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Finished this tonight also.

Not sure how I feel about it. I loved everything it was doing up until and including Beneviento mansion. After that though the game dives way too hard into the action to the point where atmosphere and tension go completely out the window in favour of bombastic set piece after set piece. It honestly reminded me of the worst parts of Resi 6 at times in the latter half, not that it plays bad, but just how willingly the game seems to sacrifice horror in favour of keeping the player in combat.

Story was also lacking as well for me. The game barely has a plot, with bosses meaning so little to the overall narrative that I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment when I would take one down. Curious to know if there was a lot of content cut in order to get this out the door; story just felt flat out incomplete.

Had the game kept up the quality of the first half, I might have ended up loving this, but as it stands I found it all a bit of a mess, albeit one that was a bit of mindless fun to blast through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭brady12

7 was my first resi game . Loved it , was scary at times & found it difficult at times . Then I played Evil within and that was punishing , scary and unrelenting .now I'm about 3 hours+ into village & I'm finding it piss easy !? Don't know have i died once . I love the game but it's not very hard or scary ? Or maybe im just hardened after the evil within ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭recyclops

So just done and it's more more meh then wow. Looks great unsure if I will replay it.

I have played all resident evils except for 6 and this isn't high up in the list in terms of quality sadly.

*edit* also **** uncharted and its bastard use of the colour yellow to guide you along, hate that being implemented in games.

Got up to the stronghold tonight.
    Jesus that's some leap from horror to action. I felt absolutely no emotion blasting away the waves of enemies, actually, bit annoyed as i just want to get back to the good stuff but if the rest of the game goes like this, i can see people's issue with it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Completed it and would agree that the first half of the game was better but its not like I didn't enjoy the second half. I don't think they completely dropped the horror theme in the 2nd half of the game for example
    Hisenbergs workshop still had a strong horror vibe to it
    . Ironically arguable its best section the Beneviento mansion will likely hold up the worst in repeat playthroughs.

Plot wise I thought it was good fun if not as always completely daft. Ends with several unanswered questions that are surely a set up for DLC and a sequel.

Overall I enjoyed it a lot and would rate it as slightly better than RE7 and better than RE5, RE6 and the remake of RE3 but not quite matching up to the best the series has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I'll hopefully get it finished tomorrow then I can start looking at Resident Evil videos on YouTube again!

Done and done, 8 hours 41 mins. Loved it, ****ing loved it.
    The intro, castle and Beneviento house were just brilliant. Moreau's was good, don't think there was any need for the Stronghold really. The factory was great, if a little actiony but the enemies were class. The switchup was great as well, yeah horror went out the window but the action was fun. Loved the ending, Ethan's sacrifice but Jesus show us his face! I'm not gonna keep this for Mercenaries so gonna sell it on, but absolutely loved my time with it, better than 7 and easily better than 5 & 6. I believe it's better than 4 because it had a much brisker pace to it but could easily have been a 4 remake. Better than 3 imo opinion as well so I guess it makes it my 3rd favourite Resi game which I was NOT expecting!

Roll on the next chapter of Resident Evil!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,856 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I believe it's better than 4

Calm down there now.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Calm down there now.

I tried playing through that again last year but felt serious burn halfway through. I admit, took my a while to post that because of that single line, trying to decide which I found better. Village is the new and shiny so that wins for now but will have a think about it. The fact you can fly through it and enjoy pretty much every section says a lot for it.

I tried playing through that again last year but felt serious burn halfway through. I admit, took my a while to post that because of that single line, trying to decide which I found better. Village is the new and shiny so that wins for now but will have a think about it. The fact you can fly through it and enjoy pretty much every section says a lot for it.

Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad

Writing in Village was far superior anyway.

Late game scene
    Chris, the boulder punching asshole

:pac:

Advertisement