Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat (2021)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Interesting that Jax and Cole have the same birthmark.

I'm aware of where they're (allegedly) going with the Cole character but have heard nothing about Jax. Sounds like they might be expanding on his story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,892 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Edit edit: The tease was for the pics, not a trailer apparently.
    Yeah its looking that way. If there was to be a trailer today, they would have released it already

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hate that trope of insisting with a brand new character to introduce the world to. As if they can't give audiences the credit they might keep up with this not-particularly-complex world to begin with. You'd think Liu Kang was the obvious candidate for audience surrogate, unless this stunningly generic name of "Cole Young" turns out to have a twist real identity.

Lewis Tan is an extremely talented fellow so that's why I'm willing to give this Cole character the benefit of the doubt. There's no harm in having an unknown character be the anchor of the story as long as the rest of the established characters are on point.

But from what I have heard there is a twist coming in regards his character.

The effects look on point anyway, from a recent HBO Max marketing ploy:

Sub-Zero.gif

Sub-Zero-2.gif

Scorpion.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You'd like to think the producers would have enough self-awareness to know the CGI needs to be damn good, given previous films' notoriety on that front ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

necessary...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

So.. that'll be 17:00 tomorrow I think..

https://twitter.com/MKMovie/status/1362073068651372548

• Advertisement

This looks like fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Lmkrnr

I hope Raiden gets plenty of story. I remember Big Trouble in Little China before I stared playing MK and that type of character has plenty of potential. Who doesn't like electric sound effects !!

The versions of the trailer from the HBO Max YouTube channel was asking for ages verification where you either submit your credit card or identification to verify age. Luckily IGN didn't have it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

from a huge MK fan , I love how this is looking , wish the cinemas were open to see it properly though

Yeah I watched that with a bit smile on my face, hopefully it's a blast.

The versions of the trailer from the HBO Max YouTube channel was asking for ages verification where you either submit your credit card or identification to verify age. Luckily IGN didn't have it

I got that too when I clicked on through to the YouTube video itself; that's certainly new (for me anyway).

As to the trailer, well there's certainly lots of CGI blood! I wonder how seriously they'll treat things, it's hard to be sure. The recent games at least found a good balance between playing it straight, and embracing the lunacy.

Good to see Supergirl's Mehcad Brooks' film career is off to a big start :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can't wait, though it'll never be as good as the original :P

Same for me. Stupid system.

Kiith wrote: »
    Can't wait, though it'll never be as good as the original :P

Same for me. Stupid system.

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/using-technology-more-consistently-apply-age-restrictions/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That looks like great fun. Excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Looks good craic

yay something to look forward too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

Great trailer. Will look forward to this. Hopefully they sneak in that cheesy techno theme song

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It's ticking all my boxes, I am excite. Not sure the gruff voices were needed for when the characters (specifically Scorpion ad Sub-Zero) talk in uniform. But everything else looks awesome (although Kanos eye laser looked a bit... off). Loads of characters, plenty of gore, good looking fighting and what looks like decent acting, I'm sold! Like what they did with the Theme too.

Fingers crossed the cinemas will be open by April, I'll actually take the chance to see this, but the latest or earliest possible viewing. Seeing as it's an 18s, I doubt there'll be daytime screening if they do open, but I will be going to whatever one will bring the least amount of people!

And as is my way these days, I won't be looking at anything else to do with this until it's out. Trailer shows plenty of scenes so don't want to dilute it anymore, I even turned away at the fatality montage at the end as I want them to be fresh!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

Can't wait for this! Have been looking forward to it since it was announced - never normally watch trailers because I think they ruin the viewing experience of the movie to a certain extent but couldn't help myself with this! Really hope I can get to watch it on the big screen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Kano's laser eye sound effect and Goro's terrible cartoon look aside - this looks pretty fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Alright I'm in !!
    Scorpion vs Sub-Zero for 20 mins please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭Homelander

Looks like a ton of fun, the "Get over here" bit at the end was a bit cringe though.

Also while the effects look good in general, there was a bit with Goro that looked pretty awful, hopefully the final product is better than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Kano's laser eye looked a bit off. With the side on view it looked too fake (like when you see comedies where people puke a lot) and then didn't seem to be coming from the top of or just above his eye.

Hopefully it turns out to be good.

I don't think the budget is spectacular so they probably invested where it mattered such as Sub Zero.

People are crapping on Jax's arm exploding but I laughed at the absurdity of it all.....just like I would laugh at the absurdity of the Fatalities in the games. I mean as far as I'm concerned that's mission accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

from a huge MK fan , I love how this is looking , wish the cinemas were open to see it properly though

How will it be viewable? Netflix etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's HBO Max in the States and wherever it's available.
    But as has been discussed in the Justice League thread, distribution for regions that don't have HBO Max will need to be decided.
    Likely be Sky Box Office or something like that.

Advertisement