Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is it now called HOLLO-een?

• 20-10-2020 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭

Isn't it Hallowe'en?

All HALLOWS Eve?

Not Hollow like Hollow Tree.
    This riles me.

Oh, and so does calling the capital of France "Porris"

Like Porridge.

Celebrate HAL-loween in PARis, my friends: not Hollow een in Poris.

There, I said it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Who da fuk do you be talking to that pronounces it like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Isn't it Hallowe'en?

All HALLOWS Eve?

Not Hollow like Hollow Tree.
    This riles me.

Oh, and so does calling the capital of France "Porris"

Like Porridge.

Celebrate HAL-loween in PARis, my friends: not Hollow een in Poris.

There, I said it!

Americanised English from watching too much tv. Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Because you cut the inside out of the pumkin. Jesus do primary teachers teach anything anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Because people in Ireland are stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Americanised English from watching too much tv. Maybe.
    I don't think so. I've heard news reporters using it in relation to Covid (and how it would affect Halloween), and these people would be in their 40s/50s. A certain media type, usually from Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

D4 and Dublin media type affectation.

Because you cut the inside out of the pumkin. Jesus do primary teachers teach anything anymore?
    With the original Halloween in Ireland, they carved out turnips. It took real character to carve out a turnip, as opposed to a poncy pumpkin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I don't think so. I've heard news reporters using it in relation to Covid (and how it would affect Halloween), and these people would be in their 40s/50s. A certain media type, usually from Dublin.

Yes, often on the radio, from those who should know better.

A pursemouth flutey accent, very Ross OCarroll-Kelly, very Dort.

I really detest that accent, hence my rant. I could go on! But HOLLOW-een annoys me even more than then the rest of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Local Area Man

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Yes, often on the radio, from those who should know better.

A pursemouth flutey accent, very Ross OCarroll-Kelly, very Dort.

I really detest that accent, hence my rant. I could go on! But HOLLOW-een annoys me even more than then the rest of it

I particularly dislike how these types pronounce "Covid".

Is it the people afflicted by the accent or the manufactured nature of it. Maybe both. I literally turn off the TV or radio as soon as it hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I needed a new heel for my shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I particularly dislike how these types pronounce "Covid".

Is it the people afflicted by the accent or the manufactured nature of it. Maybe both. I literally turn off the TV or radio as soon as it hear it.

I, certainly, prefer it to that “Co-vit” you hear from the country folk interviewed.

Would definitely be in the ‘Holloween’ pronunciation camp here, must be a Dublin thing. I’d say the ones who go for the ‘HALLoween’ pronunciation are the same ones that pronounce the l in ‘salmon’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Would definitely be in the ‘Holloween’ pronunciation camp here, must be a Dublin thing. I’d say the ones who go for the ‘HALLoween’ pronunciation are the same ones that pronounce the l in ‘salmon’.

Okay, so you admit you pronounce 'Halloween' incorrectly. And I've never heard anyone pronounce the 'L' in 'salmon', be they rural or "urban". Are you thinking of Salman Rushdie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Dole scroungers dont have adequate pronunciation skills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

It just validated my theory that we're about to indulge in a civil war between the Hallow people and Hollo peoples of this fine country. At this stage the EU should warn of the Hello people from interfering on anyside of the conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

I ain't no Hollo-een girl no I ain't no Hollo-een girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hallowe'en -> Hollowe'en is the same vowel shift that we see in party -> porty, Dart -> Dort. Linguists have noted it for about 20 years now - it's very Celtic Tiger, really - but , like a lot of fashions in accents, it may not last.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Hallowe'en -> Hollowe'en is the same vowel shift that we see in party -> porty, Dart -> Dort. Linguists have noted it for about 20 years now - it's very Celtic Tiger, really - but , like a lot of fashions in accents, it may not last.
    Might explain the A to O "mom" thing too. And before the "that's Irish", it may have been in some areas of Cork or wherever, it certainly wasn't in somewhere like Dublin.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Okay, so you admit you pronounce 'Halloween' incorrectly. And I've never heard anyone pronounce the 'L' in 'salmon', be they rural or "urban". Are you thinking of Salman Rushdie?

I don’t see it as incorrect, though. I had a teacher in school who pronounced book as ‘bewk’, same went for cook. Was he pronouncing then incorrectly?

I’m sure there are allowances under these “rules” to allow for colloquialism. I know people who’d pronounce Galway as ‘Gawl-way’ and others who’d say ‘GAL-way’.

I, personally, would never “correct” a country person who says ‘wan’ for one, using singular for plurals like ‘5 mile’ or when they say ‘fehickel’ for vehicle. I just put it down to the country education.

You lot are going to “lose it” when you hear how Worcestershire sauce is pronounced.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Twas always Samhain before the good old catholic church tried to commandeer it and then we brought it to America and turned it gradually into its current mutant form.

Twas always Samhain before the good old catholic church tried to commandeer it and then we brought it to America and turned it gradually into its current mutant form.
    It was Samhain for a long time after the arrival of Catholicism; it was the English who gave us "Hallowe'en", not the Catholics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Who da fuk do you be talking to that pronounces it like that?

Eh, prretty much everyone...?

It;s always been halloween.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

With the original Halloween in Ireland, they carved out turnips. It took real character to carve out a turnip, as opposed to a poncy pumpkin.

Nah, pulpkins are just more practical. Concistent shape, larger surface area.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It was Samhain for a long time after the arrival of Catholicism; it was the English who gave us "Hallowe'en", not the Catholics.

It was the pagans that gave is Samhain, no?

You lot are going to “lose it” when you hear how Worcestershire sauce is pronounced.
    You "should" hear how my friend St. John Featherstonhaugh from Loughborough pronounces it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

You "should" hear how my friend St. John Featherstonhaugh from Loughborough pronounces it!

Reminds me of a bit from James Acaster on "Looga Barooga" during his netflix special. Its worth watching.

A different clip from it.

It was the pagans that gave is Samhain, no?
    Yes. But it continued to be Samhain after Christianisation. It was anglicisation that turned it into "Hallowe'en", not Christianisation.

Don't blame the Catholics; blame the Brits! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

its definitely Halloween, maybe some nauseating made in chelsea rejects call it hollo-een.. aspirational wannabe home counties irish people i imagine

I hate how Lidl is pronounced "Leeedle" by some people (such as Mr. Dempsey off da telly).

It's Lidl - like 'Little' but with a 'D'.

Stop trying to posh it up - it's a German discount supermarket and there's nothing wrong with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I hate how Lidl is pronounced "Leeedle" by some people (such as Mr. Dempsey off da telly).

It's Lidl - like 'Little' but with a 'D'.

Stop trying to posh it up - it's a German discount supermarket and there's nothing wrong with it.
    But the name actually is Leeedle.. it's a German name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Liddle'ses.

Some people here pronounce it as if they were Gollum from LOTR.

Is that how they actually pronounce it in Germany though?

Or is it someone in Ireland making it up in order to try and make it sound fancy and everybody imitates them for fear of appearing common?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Always been Halloween (with an a) for as long as I can remember, and when I was young we carved out turnips, as pumpkins were not seen or not available in Ireland (that I can remember). No trick or treating either, just going house to collect nuts and apples.

Don't know where Holloween came from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I believe it comes from America, where they never learned to pronounce Sam Hain = Thanks very much, Donald Pleasance.

Every year I wait to hear one of them say "Boxing Day"....:pac::pac::pac:

I'd say there'd be outright conniptions, a Boards melt down, boots in tellys, childer screaming in terror. The new normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I believe it comes from America, where they never learned to pronounce Sam Hain = Thanks very much, Donald Pleasance.

I'd say there'd be outright conniptions, a Boards melt down, boots in tellys, childer screaming in terror. The new normal.

And rightly so!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Posh D4 C#nts say this. I'll be egging their neighbourhood this halloween.

• Advertisement

Is that how they actually pronounce it in Germany though?

Or is it someone in Ireland making it up in order to try and make it sound fancy and everybody imitates them for fear of appearing common?

Yeah it is

It is possible and indeed probable that the Irish pronunciation is as you though, and it's only coincidence that it happens to be correct. No one ever says Por-scheh or Ow-di

Been listening out for it, on calls, all day and have yet to hear anyone call it ‘Hal-o-ween’. I’ll admit, I asked “leading questions” about Level 5 to steer the convo that way but no one said it as strangely as that.

Is this something that’s common in parts of the country where Halloween is not really “celebrated”? You know, where the treats are apples and nuts and the “fireworks” consist of, nothing more than, sparklers.

I remember watching Supernatural one time and they were talking about Halloween and a demon named 'Sam Hane', took me a minute to get they meant Samhain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,402 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Next thing it will be

Deck the halls with boughs of holly
    Fa la la la la, la la la la (fa la la la la, la la la la)

How should I pronounce Halls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

It's just laziness.
    The eye sees hall and tacks the rest on to it.
    Instead of seeing hallow and tacking een on.
    Helps if you know what the word means too.
    it's a watchamacallit - two words that have run together over time.

Hallows evening, the following day being all saints day.
    It's still laziness when we've let it be overtaken by the americanisation of it.
    Holloween and pumpkins!!
    FFS We've only had pumpkins here in the last 10 years or so.
    It's certainly hollow when the kids knock on the door and just hold out the bag for the goodies. They don't bother to even tell a joke.
    What's left that's ours? Barm brack and colcannon. Anything else?
    Maybe it's different in rural areas, is it?

Another hint for the pronunciation:
    The Our Father prayer goes 'hallowed by thy name'.
    Same word, same meaning, blessed, holy

• Advertisement

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    It's certainly hollow when the kids knock on the door and just hold out the bag for the goodies. They don't bother to even tell a joke.

Tell a joke? Ah here, you’re not one of those ‘help the Halloween party’ types, are you?

Kids knock in, say ‘trick or treat’, you throw a few sweets in their bags and that’s that. Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I always assumed it was due to not understanding that the root of the word is All Hallows, and therefore incorrectly going with Hall(as in hallway)-oween. Rather than the Dart-Dort, Party-Porty posh vowel thing. Most of those I know who say Holloween are as far from a Dort accent as you can possibly get.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    It's just laziness.
    The eye sees hall and tacks the rest on to it.
    Instead of seeing hallow and tacking een on.
    Helps if you know what the word means too.
    it's a watchamacallit - two words that have run together over time.

Hallows evening, the following day being all saints day.
    It's still laziness when we've let it be overtaken by the americanisation of it.
    Holloween and pumpkins!!
    FFS We've only had pumpkins here in the last 10 years or so.

Another hint for the pronunciation:
    The Our Father prayer goes 'hallowed by thy name'.
    Same word, same meaning, blessed, holy

Am I the only one who read this in Eminem's voice?

How can it be lazy to pronounce a word differently? Not pronouncing it at all would be laziness.

I go French with that, purely to piss people off.

"Nipping out to L'delle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Next thing it will be

Deck the halls with boughs of holly
    Fa la la la la, la la la la (fa la la la la, la la la la)

How should I pronounce Halls?

I imagine that would be Hawwwwwls. so,

"Deck the hawwwwwls with boughs of hawwwwwlly"

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

It's Hallow (holy) 'een (evening). I agree with the OP it is infuriating to hear "Holloween ". the term "trick or treat" is another meaningless piece of claptrap which seems to have come from the USA. And while I'm at it, I hate to hear "Notre Daym" instead of "Dame" as in Dam.
    Another prevalent annoyance is "Beaumount" instead of "Beaumont"

I imagine that would be Hawwwwwls. so,

"Deck the hawwwwwls with boughs of hawwwwwlly"

Bough is not pronounced the same as Cough, Dough, Lough or Rough. Funny old language. Another one is Almond, which has four different standard pronunciations.

Yeah it is

It is possible and indeed probable that the Irish pronunciation is as you though, and it's only coincidence that it happens to be correct. No one ever says Por-scheh or Ow-di

I respectfully withdraw my complaint then. Although I reserve my right never to pronounce it as Leedle (Don Cheadle, Brad Friedel).

Advertisement