Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LL wants tenant to pay to resolve dampness

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If a house goes totally mouldy when unoccupied there’s something seriously wrong with the construction - insulation & ventilation.....

I think the standard of construction in Ireland is very poor. Hardly any of it is inspected when under construction, and there is no system by which builders or tradesmen are forced to fix poor workmanship.

So while you can blame the LL for everything. There isn't much they can do if everyone takes shortcuts and the building ends up poor made and designed. When its repaired, it gets repaired poorly and the problems just never go away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭CoBo55

beauf wrote: »
    I think the standard of construction in Ireland is very poor. Hardly any of it is inspected when under construction, and there is no system by which builders or tradesmen are forced to fix poor workmanship.

So while you can blame the LL for everything. There isn't much they can do if everyone takes shortcuts and the building ends up poor made and designed. When its repaired, it gets repaired poorly and the problems just never go away.

Spot on. My sister in law bought a 2 bed "starter home" as they called it, there isn't a solid internal wall in the place, it's impossible to heat I reckon there was little or no insulation in the cavity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

DubCount wrote: »
    Take a tenant moves who into an apartment and that apartment has a fully functioning washing machine supplied to the house by the LL. After a month the washing machine breaks down. A repair guy comes out, and says the machine was damaged by the tenant sitting on the door of the washing machine. It is not intentional damage, the LL owns the washing machine, but its the tenants liability because the actions of the tenant caused the damage.

Just because this relates to the house itself (and not the fittings), does not change the principle. If the tenant is driving his/her car into a driveway and smashes into the front of the house, its not their property, but its their responsibility.

If the damage (dampness/ mould/ wahsing machine) is just a matter of normal ware or something a tenant did not cause, then absolutely, the bill belongs to the LL. Even if its uncertain how something was damaged, then I would still say this is the Landlords cost to fix. Where the damage is caused by the tenant, then the tenant should pay - thats taking responsibility for your actions.

Perhaps you misunderstood my post.
    I am of the stance it is stupid to pay 1300 euro on a place you don't own.
    If you want to say it's not on the LL - then that's a debate - but it's not on the tennant that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

AIUI my friend did dry some clothes there and used the windows - however they work and can't have the windows open all day, every day.
    I don't believe that they unclogged the vents. Woukd this be a standard expectation for a tenant?
    They reckon there are issues with the property nonetheless.

They didn't seal up the vents.

We all dry clothes on doors this is Ireland. And yes they should clean the vents every so often, just run a hover over it.

My take on this is it's up to the LL there should be extractors fans over the cooker and shower. That's not up to the tennant. Changing the vents might require a core bit on drill any decent handy man can do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

For energy efficiency and also just laziness of installation, a lot of cooker hoods are just recirculating the air back into the kitchen with charcoal filters (usually not maintained) in the machine that are supposed to remove the odours.

The moisture from cooking never leaves the house. It's a solution that should never be used, other than in a setup where there's a forced ventilation system in an ultra insulated home.

Anywhere else, the cooker hood should really be fully vented outside and if gas is used it should always be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

I would understand this discussion in the context of some other country, but definitely not Ireland, where the state of most of accommodation is just dreadful overall. No insulation, no adequate heating, rotten frames instead of windows, etc etc. Hard to judge without seeing actual apartment of course, but most likely it's one of those badly built places, like pretty much everywhere here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

JimmyVik wrote: »
    e. It was disgusting.

I myself would never live anywhere without my dehumidifier.
    Never ever had a mould problem and i just take it with me anywhere i move to.
    Leave it on low for a couple of hours in the morning.

I agree totally re a dehumidifier being a great asset. I used one in several rentals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

For energy efficiency and also just laziness of installation, a lot of cooker hoods are just recirculating the air back into the kitchen with charcoal filters (usually not maintained) in the machine that are supposed to remove the odours.

The moisture from cooking never leaves the house. It's a solution that should never be used, other than in a setup where there's a forced ventilation system in an ultra insulated home.

Anywhere else, the cooker hood should really be fully vented outside and if gas is used it should always be.

Such hoods no longer meet minimum rental standards either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Caranica wrote: »
    Such hoods no longer meet minimum rental standards either.

When did these hoods fall foul of the building regulations? How can you have a externally vented hoods with MHRV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

When did these hoods fall foul of the building regulations? How can you have a externally vented hoods with MHRV?

You don't, the post in the quote mentioned situations other then with mechanical ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 androlyn

Yeah, I still believe that there is a lot more to the tale that we've been told.

"Every truth has two sides; it is as well to look at both, before we commit ourselves to either." — Aesop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thread is over a year old, no idea why you decided to bump it without posting anything meaningful 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭AlanG

Usually the landlord should tackle these problems and pay fo rthem. the tenant may however be in breach of contract if they dried clothes inside and did not keep the property ventilated. The LL has the right to compensatoin for the damage caused - cost of repainting etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@mods this thread can be closed because the person I was asking it for has since moved to a different apartment.

I think this thread has been resurrected after a year simply because @androlyn wanted to make a point after I questioned the fairly visible gaps in a post they made elsewhere...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't drag up old threads for no reason - puerile points scoring is not a valid reason.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement