Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Milltown & Cahirsiveen are two I know of where you only pay for rubbish. All other recycling is free. You have to buy the bags for paper recycling though.

Edit: just see on kerry coco website they are referred to as transfer stations. Google will take you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

We bring bags of rubbish to Dillons on a few occasions, it used to be 4euro a bag now it's gone up to 4.50. The cardboard and paper is free to dispose of there. Their recycling bags have gone up 50cent to 2.50.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

bobdcow wrote: »
    We bring bags of rubbish to Dillons on a few occasions, it used to be 4euro a bag now it's gone up to 4.50. The cardboard and paper is free to dispose of there. Their recycling bags have gone up 50cent to 2.50.

Well the Higgins recycling bags were still €2 as of last Tuesday or Wednesday when I last bought a few. Would come as absolutely no surprise if they are hiked in price too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Henwin wrote: »
    But is it true tat we no longer have the capacity to dispose of our own rubbish so the waste collectors have to export it to Europe so that has increased their costs by a lot so they had to pass this on to customers

In the convoluted badly written letter to customers Higgins cites the shortage of landfill in the county and the recent practice of exporting refuse to the UK and beyond. This might be true but how can it justify a fixed charge increase of €84 (€152/year now from €72/year before) a whopping 117% ! If costs are increasing then they should be levied on the charge per kilo of refuse. That way the customers producing the refuse pay but light users and recyclers/reusers/reducers do not get punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Adiboo wrote: »
    Where is the recycling centre? The KerryCoCo website doesn't seem to have an address for it.

http://atomik.kerrycoco.ie/map_pages/map_transfer_stationsv3.htm

It's in Milltown.

• Advertisement

The map shows the North Kerry landfill/ transfer station in muingamuinneane. It closed a few years ago. It seems the nearest kcc station is in Milltown or Killarney that's a long hike if you live in North Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Is there anywhere in Tralee to get rid of electronic waste? Rather than going to Milltown or Killarney?

I keep the stuff until the free event up in the mart twice a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Zefff

Hi all. Just moved to Tralee with my wife and our 7.5 month old son this week. We found a great place to live right in the centre of town. I am a professional musician in the midst of a career change and my wife is a school teacher. She is Canadian (I have CAN/UK citizenship), so she can't work until I am exersising my EU treaty rights, namely by working at least part time.

So far Tralee has been great to us. We like it a lot. It has been fairly easy to get things done. We got our flat, applied for and are awaiting our PPS numbers, bank account details, we got a family doctor, library cards, etc all within a matter of days.

Although we haven't ruled out wanting to stay in Tralee for the long term, we're mainly here in Ireland trying to fulfill a sort of convoluted UK immigration process. Since there is a lot of teaching work in the UK, we've been thinking about moving to Scotland. However, since we have a dependent, we do not meet the criteria for obtaining Canadian visas to the UK. So we are trying to apply for a family permit. In their moves to crack down on net migration, the U.K. has made it very difficult for the non EEA spouses of UK citizens to obtain treaty rights. Much more difficult than most other EU countries. So we are doing what is known as the Surinder Singh route, which entails moving your centre of life to somewhere within the EU (but outside of the U.K.) for at least three months. Once we can prove that we've integrated and I've exercised my treaty rights, we can apply for the family permit that will grant my wife similar rights to a UK citizen. Crazy, isn't it?!

Anyway that's what we're doing here, apart from the fact that we love Irish people, we play trad music and Tralee was the easiest and most affordable area to find a place to live in all of Ireland.

Now I need to find at least 12hrs of work a week. I am going to teach as well, and have one student interested already, but it's been a little slow on that front. Despite that though, being self employed might make the most sense this time of year here.

In any case, just thought I'd introduce myself. Today we find ourselves looking for entertainment out of the house for our little fella. Any ideas are welcome! I know while we were in Ennis there was an indoor play place that was good fun. Anything like that here?

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Depends on what you need really.
    There is an outdoor play area in the town park, but out of the question these days weatherwise.
    You have bowling buddies and Playdium over in the manor area, with the latter being more suited to younger children.
    If you need to eat Yummy cafe in the town centre are child friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Which bus is it that stops at Manor West?

Toxica wrote: »
    Which bus is it that stops at Manor West?

The Kerry people's bus does, not sure if anything else goes there

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Depends on what you need really.
    There is an outdoor play area in the town park, but out of the question these days weatherwise.
    You have bowling buddies and Playdium over in the manor area, with the latter being more suited to younger children.
    If you need to eat Yummy cafe in the town centre are child friendly

Thanks very much. We found Yummy by mistake the first time we came to Tralee and it probably even influenced our decision to move here haha. Google says it would take 35 minutes to walk to Playdium. I haven't seen a bus here yet. Are there buses in Tralee?

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    The Kerry people's bus does, not sure if anything else goes there

Does the Kerry people's bus stop near Ashe street?

Zefff wrote: »
    Does the Kerry people's bus stop near Ashe street?

It stops outside Heatons in the mall

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thanks very much. We found Yummy by mistake the first time we came to Tralee and it probably even influenced our decision to move here haha. Google says it would take 35 minutes to walk to Playdium. I haven't seen a bus here yet. Are there buses in Tralee?

There is a Tralee Town bus, which does go up as far as Manor shopping centre, which is very close to the Playdium. I don't know what their hours are or if they run on Sundays. It stops outside Heaton's in the Mall and also in the carpark outside Tesco's in the town centre. Not sure of what the other stops are. They don't seem to have a Facebook page or website, which would be handy!

Welcome to Tralee by the way! Have you taken the family to the Aqua Dome? There's also a lovely cafe in Ballyseedy garden centre, which has an little indoor play area for very small kids and an outdoor one too.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    There is a Tralee Town bus, which does go up as far as Manor shopping centre, which is very close to the Playdium. I don't know what their hours are or if they run on Sundays. It stops outside Heaton's in the Mall and also in the carpark outside Tesco's in the town centre. Not sure of what the other stops are. They don't seem to have a Facebook page or website, which would be handy!

Welcome to Tralee by the way! Have you taken the family to the Aqua Dome? There's also a lovely cafe in Ballyseedy garden centre, which has an little indoor play area for very small kids and an outdoor one too.

Thanks again! Pretty haply about our move already. We're from the east coast of Canada, so geographically speaking, we are closer to "home" now than we would be if we were on the other side of Canada. Cape Breton (where we're from) is the only Gaeltacht in North America, so there's been a sort of sense of belonging even since before I first came here. It's pretty evident that the people here and at home are cut from the same cloth.

We plan on going to the aqua dome for sure yeah. We don't have wheels just yet though, so I don't know if we'd be able to make it to Ballyseedy until a bit later on. We'll see if all this CV dropping will result in a job for me, then we can think about cars!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Thanks again! Pretty haply about our move already. We're from the east coast of Canada, so geographically speaking, we are closer to "home" now than we would be if we were on the other side of Canada. Cape Breton (where we're from) is the only Gaeltacht in North America, so there's been a sort of sense of belonging even since before I first came here. It's pretty evident that the people here and at home are cut from the same cloth.

We plan on going to the aqua dome for sure yeah. We don't have wheels just yet though, so I don't know if we'd be able to make it to Ballyseedy until a bit later on. We'll see if all this CV dropping will result in a job for me, then we can think about cars!

I've a lot of family spread out around Canada! I've been there twice, love it there! I was mainly only in the Onatario area though.

Best of luck with the job search. What sort of work are you looking for?

I've a lot of family spread out around Canada! I've been there twice, love it there! I was mainly only in the Onatario area though.

Best of luck with the job search. What sort of work are you looking for?

That's awesome! Yeah, Canada is easy to love!

I'm looking for almost any kind of work. Preferably part-time so I can teach and still spend a lot of time with my son. Even a couple hours a day somewhere. I dropped CVs off at a few stores, book shop, men's clothing places etc but I've done just about everything in the book from landscaping to driving limo to research projects haha

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭kev_Makaveli

Anyone having speed issues with kerry broadband. Getting ping of 300ms and a download speed of 0.02mbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Anyone having speed issues with kerry broadband. Getting ping of 300ms and a download speed of 0.02mbs

Just did a test,normal enough for night time

Ping: 63ms

Download: 5mbps

Upload: 4mbps

No idea so. Plugged out everything for 10 mins and still getting insane speeds.

No idea so. Plugged out everything for 10 mins and still getting insane speeds.

The wind might have affected your Broadband dish,could have being thrown off line a bit

The wind might have affected your Broadband dish,could have being thrown off line a bit

I was thinking that alright. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see. That is if they answer 😯

I was thinking that alright. I'll give them a ring tomorrow and see. That is if they answer 😯

I usually contact them with the customer portal on the website,I found its the best way to contact them.

Include your customer ID and they should reply to you fairly sharpish

There was no service this morning between 8 and 9 but it appears okish now. Storm Imogen did a lot of damage around the county. Waves over 10m high off inch and rossbeigh. I notice an area to the front of odonnels in mount hawk cordoned off.

We have to trade in our commercial car for a normal car as I'm expecting, so we went up to have a look around a couple at lunch time and I was shocked that all the sales guys had taken their lunch break at the same time! Only one guy was available, but he didn't seem to know prices, mileage & has to get someone to ring us. Why would they all take their break at the same time? There is such a thing as a staggered lunch break! I was pretty taken aback, considering how busy they claim to be lately! :rolleyes:

We have time to keep looking as we are only pricing up cars at the moment! I'll know next time not to go at lunch time, or Saturday's or Sundays!

Is this a male / female thing? When I bought my last car a few years ago some of the dealers offered to come out to me!

Is this a male / female thing? When I bought my last car a few years ago some of the dealers offered to come out to me!

I was with my husband, and no one came out to us. We were walking around outside for a good few minutes, no one came near us. Then we went inside and even after a few minutes in there, we had to ask them could we speak to someone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was with my husband, and no one came out to us. We were walking around outside for a good few minutes, no one came near us. Then we went inside and even after a few minutes in there, we had to ask them could we speak to someone!

Tbh, I'd vote with my feet and choose another dealership where they treat your custom more seriously!!

PS, congrats on the baby news!!

Advertisement