Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tralee thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Done...

Ah, I don't care what the rest of them say, I think you're alright...... For a mod :);)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    Ah, I don't care what the rest of them say, I think you're alright...... For a mod :);)

ah you are too kind :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

That part is pretty flat, a short section of it is a bit boggy after a lot of rain. Other parts or the Dingle Way are along back roads but this bit is along a path so a good pair of walking boots/shoes would be advised.

If you are starting in Tonevane you should be in Camp in 2 1/2 or 3 hours

Some info on the section from the Dingle Way site,
    dingleway.com/trail-description/tralee-camp.php

tfer wrote: »
    Has anyone walked the "Kerry Camino Way", I know it starts in Tonevane by the equestrian center, but where does it come out in Camp ?
    I want to start in Camp and walk back to Tralee, how long would it take ? is it a rough path all the way ? up down or pretty level along the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The Streat Cafe (since called The Counter) is to close in Manor with the loss of 12 jobs. It seemed to be a very busy place when it first opened but I'm guessing custom died off a lot? Can't say I ever visited there more than once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's a pretty bad location really, needed to be located closer to the main shopping center. Not ideal trying to get to it if you don't have a car.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    The Streat Cafe (since called The Counter) is to close in Manor with the loss of 12 jobs. It seemed to be a very busy place when it first opened but I'm guessing custom died off a lot? Can't say I ever visited there more than once.

It almost closed down a year or two ago too. Apparently it changed hands in the meantime, and sort of changed the name (the sign hadn't changed), but it didn't seem to take off after that. I had noticed it went downhill last year when I called in for a coffee. It used to be great at the start, really busy as you say, but the quality went down so I guess the people stopped going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭siobhan.murphy

Ok 2 previous bad experiences with horrible lunches,si I decided I try going first thing for breakfast.......
    do not waste your money here,myself and 2 friends went for breakfast here at 9am,ordered at 9.10,shriveled (shiver!!) up reheated sausages were like leather,the breakfast which was to come with chips arrived at 9.45 as she said the fryer was not on,(ah hello not my problem)!!!! rashers were hard not even chewy and no point going on but we complained as the place was so cold.
    I told them the food was dire and not even an apology

Ok 2 previous bad experiences with horrible lunches,si I decided I try going first thing for breakfast.......
    do not waste your money here,myself and 2 friends went for breakfast here at 9am,ordered at 9.10,shriveled (shiver!!) up reheated sausages were like leather,the breakfast which was to come with chips arrived at 9.45 as she said the fryer was not on,(ah hello not my problem)!!!! rashers were hard not even chewy and no point going on but we complained as the place was so cold.
    I told them the food was dire and not even an apology

It doesn't surprise me that they are closing down. I feel sorry for the staff though, they are the ones who loose out in the end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Anyone have any information in housing for the Tralee area? I assume there's a shortage here just as everywhere else? Just wondering were the council looking at any plans?

gstack166 wrote: »
    Anyone have any information in housing for the Tralee area? I assume there's a shortage here just as everywhere else? Just wondering were the council looking at any plans?

There is a massive shortage. Private rentals are affected too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Zeff - the easiest thing to do is when it goes off again, get dressed first and then find the source of the alarm. It could be a case that the owner doesn't know it's going off for as long as it is.

Once you find the alarm source mention it to the owner, or leave a note on the car (if it is one). Tell your landlord if it is the church, he may know who owns it or maintains it.

If they don't work, tell the gardaí and keep a note of when it starts and stops each time it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

bobdcow wrote: »
    Zeff - the easiest thing to do is when it goes off again, get dressed first and then find the source of the alarm. It could be a case that the owner doesn't know it's going off for as long as it is.

Once you find the alarm source mention it to the owner, or leave a note on the car (if it is one). Tell your landlord if it is the church, he may know who owns it or maintains it.

If they don't work, tell the gardaí and keep a note of when it starts and stops each time it happens.

What was Zeffs question?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Zefff

What was Zeffs question?

I posted the question while half asleep at 2am and it had a bad joke in it so I ended up just deleting it for dignity's sake.

The question was regarding an alarm that we often hear that was sounding all last night and waking us up. Just a general question to see if anyone else heard it and what it might be. Figured out it was coming from a church. Must have been the security system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Teileen

Just saw in the Irish Times that Tamarind Thai had been served with a closure order in March ...does anyone have any information about this please,?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I see the daybreak shop and forecourt in monavalley closed .The petrol pumps and signs have been removed ,was this place sold not too long ago by allsop!!

cute geoge wrote: »
    I see the daybreak shop and forecourt in monavalley closed .The petrol pumps and signs have been removed ,was this place sold not too long ago by allsop!!

Apparently Applegreen are taking it over & its reopening in the next week or so.

Fels Point hotel has officially been rebranded as 'The Rose Hotel'.

https://www.facebook.com/rosehoteltralee/?fref=ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

tfer wrote: »
    Has anyone walked the "Kerry Camino Way", I know it starts in Tonevane by the equestrian center, but where does it come out in Camp ?
    I want to start in Camp and walk back to Tralee, how long would it take ? is it a rough path all the way ? up down or pretty level along the way?

the junction bar or the Railway bar in camp is your starting point

reasonable approximataion on Kerrycamino website

you can start from either upper or lower camp

upper camp: walk up the road near Ashes pub past the church to a T junction with a sign for the Dingle way

for lower camp: coming from tralee there is a left turn just before the lay by near the railway tavern and junction bar. thisroad leads up to a junction turn left and continue walking on the greenway. close the gates after you.

the kerry Camino weekend is on the May Bank holiday weekend.

Coming from Camp it starts off pretty good but gets wet after killelton church a couple of miles the trail gradually improves after that there is a bit of up and down takes me nearly 7 hours to walk from camp to tralee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Fels Point hotel has officially been rebranded as 'The Rose Hotel'.

https://www.facebook.com/rosehoteltralee/?fref=ts

And it looks magnificent from what I have seen. Kudos to all involved!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Garveys investing €2 million into an upgrade of their Tralee Supervalu store which employs 80. Ned O'Shea awarded contract according to Radio Kerry. Good to see investment in the town!

• Advertisement

Garveys investing €2 million into an upgrade of their Tralee Supervalu store which employs 80. Ned O'Shea awarded contract according to Radio Kerry. Good to see investment in the town!

I was wondering when they would be upgrading their store in Tralee as they did their Dingle store last year & it looks great!

There will be a free electrical recycling event in the Mart on Saturday 16th April from 10am - 4pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

There will be a free electrical recycling event in the Mart on Saturday 16th April from 10am - 4pm.

Who is organising it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

There will be a free electrical recycling event in the Mart on Saturday 16thh April from 10am - 4pm.

Did you mean Saturday the 16th?

Did you mean Saturday the 16th?

Yes sorry, edited it there. Thanks.

JonathonS wrote: »
    Who is organising it?

European Recycling Platform (ERP) in association with Kerry County Council. They are held every year or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looks like the new look Top Gear is on its way to Kerry

http://traleetoday.ie/matt-le-blanc-chris-evans-kerry-weekend/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Is that Mr Russell of the toy shop in the old arcade and then the newsagents beside the Main post office ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Is that Mr Russell of the toy shop in the old arcade and then the newsagents beside the Main post office ?
    Yes, its many the bag of sweets I bought there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Does anybody have any information about a birdwatching group that meets on Saturday mornings? Heard it meets in the Brandon car park and walks to Ballyseedy. Any info would be appreciated.

Was reading in the paper yesterday that Imagine.ie is rolling out fibre speed Broadband in Kerry,found some info here about it

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/84131/imagine-lights-up-galways-broadband-black-spots

http://www.imagine.ie/fibreconnect/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 alongwaytotipp

Thinking of buying a house in one of the estates along Killeen road. However, I just heard that there's of a lot of anti-social activity around Collis Sandes at the weekend. Anybody know much about this ? is it just teenagers getting drunk or more sinister than that ?

Thinking of buying a house in one of the estates along Killeen road. However, I just heard that there's of a lot of anti-social activity around Collis Sandes at the weekend. Anybody know much about this ? is it just teenagers getting drunk or more sinister than that ?

I didn't hear a thing about that & I live in the Oakpark area. Its probably only drunken teens & its going to happen no matter where you are.

Pity the Top Gear lads didnt drive the whole section of Wild Atlantic Way in Kerry

Or even drive the whole lot of it from Cork to Donegal

• Advertisement

The Stationhouse is reopening in a few weeks! Will be nice to see it back open.

http://traleetoday.ie/work-continues-station-house-blennerville/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Was reading in the paper yesterday that Imagine.ie is rolling out fibre speed Broadband in Kerry,found some info here about it

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/84131/imagine-lights-up-galways-broadband-black-spots

http://www.imagine.ie/fibreconnect/

The usual utter bollox from imagine. This isn't fibre, it's wireless the same as kerry broadband and permanent. Imagine are terrified by the new national broadband scheme so are trying every trick under the sun to con customers into buying their product. They have fibre back haul possibly to the mast but then it's same old ding dong of sh*tty wireless to the house with crazy high contention rates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Anybody up at the Free Recycling event up in The Mart today? Just wondering what the queues in are like?

kaiser31 wrote: »
    Anybody up at the Free Recycling event up in The Mart today? Just wondering what the queues in are like?

I saw a few people on Facebook say it was busy earlier. It's never been too bad whenever I've gone up in the past. You won't be waiting too long.

Just back from it, big queue alright but moves on quick enough really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Thanks, went up and flew through. They are very well organised. It's a great facility.

We drove up to Glenntennasig today. I hadn't been up that way in years & years. I couldn't believe how bad the road up there is. So uneven and big stones. We have a 4x4, but even then it was really not easy. It didn't do my big pregnant tummy much good, so uncomfortable! lol

Why isn't it levelled off & surfaced properly? For such a busy spot, its awful! We then got stuck behind a very nervous driver on the way back down, who proceeded to drive slower than she needed to & had no clue how to pull in to leave the 6 cars behind her pass! :mad:

Gorgeous place, however I hadn't the energy to go for a walk once we got there! Will go back when this big bump has disappeared! :)

We drove up to Glenntennasig today. I hadn't been up that way in years & years. I couldn't believe how bad the road up there is. So uneven and big stones. We have a 4x4, but even then it was really not easy. It didn't do my big pregnant tummy much good, so uncomfortable! lol

Why isn't it levelled off & surfaced properly? For such a busy spot, its awful! We then got stuck behind a very nervous driver on the way back down, who proceeded to drive slower than she needed to & had no clue how to pull in to leave the 6 cars behind her pass! :mad:

Gorgeous place, however I hadn't the energy to go for a walk once we got there! Will go back when this big bump has disappeared! :)

Ashamed to say, I have never been up there. :o
    I feel like saying I must go, but your post doesnt inspire me!

Best of luck with everything btw :cool:

Ashamed to say, I have never been up there. :o
    I feel like saying I must go, but your post doesnt inspire me!

Best of luck with everything btw :cool:

Its a gorgeous place, you drive right into the mountain and its beautiful once you get up there. I don't think I've been there since I was a kid. But the road up is disgraceful. Funnily enough, there was a woman pulled in by the entrance as we went in & it looked like she had got a puncture...no surprise why! Maybe its just a temporary surface & they do plan to do something with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Was up there a few weeks back. Beautiful spot but the road was horrendous. Think there's some logging going on up there and was some longer detour. Really rough & would put me off going up there again. Fabulous walk once you get there.

T,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It's just a fire road for logging trucks through the forest, the fact that it is a scenic area is incidental to Coillte. They would be just as happy to clear-fell the whole place which they have nearly done anyway. I don't think a paved road is needed up there. It's the great outdoors and it's a nice walk up from the bottom. I realise that's not ideal in your predicament Ciarraí :) but some things should be left alone. We don't need everything spoon fed to us. There are parts of Killarney that the vast majority of people aren't aware of because they don't want to venture a few hundred feet from the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thinktwice

Hi guys,

The road that's there presently is only a temporary road as they seem to be chopping down the trees along the original route up by the boardwalk. I live near the forestry and we took a trip there to do the boardwalk about 6 weeks ago. The original road which we always take to both lakes was closed off - with CCTV cameras and signs saying do not enter - we took the "rough" road up, which was horrendous to drive, and I was shocked to see the trees chopped down. It's extensively changed and not for the better. To be honest it was a bit disorientating as I hadn't realised we were at the top lake when we arrived - it was my DS who said we are - because the area was so bare and wreaked looking from the work they're doing. Anyone know why they're cutting all the trees down and will the replant more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Do any of ye know if any of the takeaways in Tralee have a gluten free option? I don't even know what takeaways there are in Tralee these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

siblers wrote: »
    Do any of ye know if any of the takeaways in Tralee have a gluten free option? I don't even know what takeaways there are in Tralee these days.
    Gluten free pizza is available from dominos, il forno and pizza time. Both mj's and new yorkers do some gluten free burgers, also restaurant uno have some gluten free pasta options which you can get as takeaway I think

siblers wrote: »

Most of the Pizza places have a gluten free base now, but be careful as they appear to be cooking them in the same oven as a non gluten free base, so there will be cross contamination! My sister is coeliac so she has to be really careful & always asks how its cooked etc. Same with things like chips etc, if they are cooked in the same oil. Its very hard for coeliac's to eat out!

• Advertisement
Advertisement