Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I have asked Alexa to add items to my shopping list and I can ask her to call out the list but can I get the list sent to me so that I have it going to the supermarket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭boccy23

tina1040 wrote: »
    I have asked Alexa to add items to my shopping list and I can ask her to call out the list but can I get the list sent to me so that I have it going to the supermarket?

It is in the Alexa App. Is that enough for you?

boccy23 wrote: »
    It is in the Alexa App. Is that enough for you?

Perfect! Thank you!
    And I can mark them off without a pen!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jarvis wrote: »
    I find it very awkward with assigning Spotify to a device. I’m my house we have 6 Alexa devices. All bar one are on my account and the 6th is on my daughters account. It’s fine. She can’t control a lot of my smart home items but she has no desire to either.
    The biggest issue was if I was in the car and turned on Spotify then it would kill the music being played on any of the 5 echos at hole if it was being used. So I created a new login for my Spotify family to use on my phone separate to the one o have used on the echos. Pain really.

One has to wonder really, why they haven't sorted adding multiple Spotify accounts etc. to it yet.

On Sonos, you can add multiple Spotify accounts and then tell Alexa to play from either my account or my other halfs account.

There is the option to switch Amazon account on an Alexa device. But that's an entire different mess.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Marlow wrote: »
    One has to wonder really, why they haven't sorted adding multiple Spotify accounts etc. to it yet.

On Sonos, you can add multiple Spotify accounts and then tell Alexa to play from either my account or my other halfs account.

/M

They did. You can create an Amazon household and get two adults and four teenagers (unfortunately in US only at the moment) to the same device.

You can then tell it which profile to use or rely on voice recognition to pick the right person.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    They did. You can create an Amazon household and get two adults and four teenagers (unfortunately in US only at the moment) to the same device.

You can then tell it which profile to use or rely on voice recognition to pick the right person.

I know that. The issue is, when you switch account, all the smart home stuff isn't assigned with the alternative accounts. So you have to switch back again to get access to that.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

This seems to be the only way at the moment.
    Text robbed from somewhere else

If you want to use multiple Spotify accounts on your Amazon Echo speaker, things get complicated.

It’s not really possible to do this, but you can kind of fudge it. The Amazon Echo lets you switch between user profiles, so if you associate two Amazon accounts with different Spotify ones, you can get the desired effect.

To add additional accounts, you'll need to login to alexa.amazon.com and head to Settings > Account > Household Profile. You can jump between them simply by saying "Alexa, switch profile".

To add additional accounts, you'll need to login to alexa.amazon.com and head to Settings > Account > Household Profile. You can jump between them simply by saying "Alexa, switch profile".

Correct. That's what I referred to.

The problem is, that if you have smart home devices like lights, thermostats, curtains and what not added to Alexa, they only work on the account, that they are assigned to.

So you'd have to switch profile back again before being able to access them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭afro man

HI All
    quick query son has spotify account on Amazon Echo moved out recently and set the wife up on her own spotify account.. issue is that now sometimes we play songs and the Sons spotify account picks it up and plays.. also he has said he can hear myself and the wife talking at times on his spotify ??

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

Can someone help me please

I have 2 Amazon Echo Dots 4th Gens. I have a mind to buy more if I can get them set up right.

I have Spotify Family account, so there's 4 of us with accounts. Is there any way I can use my Spotify account on the kitchen Echo Dot and and Kid 1 can use their account in their room, and say Kid 2 could use their account in their room.

Is it possible then to have my playlist playing then on all Echos at the one time if say the house is empty and I'm cleaning??

Thanks in advance. I didn't think it would be so hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

culsoh wrote: »
    Can someone help me please

I have 2 Amazon Echo Dots 4th Gens. I have a mind to buy more if I can get them set up right.

I have Spotify Family account, so there's 4 of us with accounts. Is there any way I can use my Spotify account on the kitchen Echo Dot and and Kid 1 can use their account in their room, and say Kid 2 could use their account in their room.

Is it possible then to have my playlist playing then on all Echos at the one time if say the house is empty and I'm cleaning??

Thanks in advance. I didn't think it would be so hard

You can only use Spotify to listen to different things on one account, on one device at a time. So you can't listen to different things using one Spotify account, on different devices

However, there's a "Play everywhere" option, where you can use all the Echos at the one time to listen to the same song

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭culsoh

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    You can only use Spotify to listen to different things on one account, on one device at a time. So you can't listen to different things using one Spotify account, on different devices

However, there's a "Play everywhere" option, where you can use all the Echos at the one time to listen to the same song

We have different accounts - so can we listen to different things, on different accounts, on different devices but all under the one roof?

culsoh wrote: »
    We have different accounts - so can we listen to different things, on different accounts, on different devices but all under the one roof?

Read back the last couple posts. That issue has just been discussed here. It's just not easily done with Amazon Echo devices. There is no straight forward way.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

hey guys
    someone bought me an Eco just wondering are they worth the bother of setting up and paying the 14 euro fee to set it up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

hey guys
    someone bought me an Eco just wondering are they worth the bother of setting up and paying the 14 euro fee to set it up

€14 fee?

Eh...

aSphinctersayswhat?

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

hey guys

There is no fee to set up an Echo

TCP/IP wrote: »
    There is no fee to set up an Echo

I have the app open in front of me and it says

14.99 for lifetime
    7.49 per month
    2.99 per week

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have the app open in front of me and it says

14.99 for lifetime
    7.49 per month
    2.99 per week

Are you using the official Amazon Echo app because that does not charge you do setup the echo.

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Are you using the official Amazon Echo app because that does not charge you do setup the echo.

ahh maybe not …………..ah great stuff your right its not the official one I was looking at

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Marlow wrote: »

There is the option to switch Amazon account on an Alexa device. But that's an entire different mess.

/M

We decided to get amazon music (family package). I think it was the same amount as the Spotify, but each of our 5 distinct amazon echos can play different music at the same Time.
    You jut need to Specify which echo you want the music played on.
    For example 'Alexa, play the stone roses on Nigels echo dot.'.

The Kids and wife find it works great.

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »
    You jut need to Specify which echo you want the music played on.
    For example 'Alexa, play the stone roses on Nigels echo dot.'.

If you have the Echo Dot assigned as a primary speaker for a room in the app, it should just start playing the music on that echo dot that you are talking to.

You only would need to specify which room or which echo you want the music on, if you want to start music on a different one from the one you are at.

Also, if you have Amazom Prime, Amazon Music is included in that at no extra charge.

/M

hey guys

What fee?

Just plug it in and follow the instructions for connecting to your amazon account, internet, recognising your voice etc. You don't need any installation service or Amazon subscriptions to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Anyone's alexa not play today fm last few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Playing it right now, no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭wally79

I usually find that plugging it out for a couple of minutes resolves issues with radio playback

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Anyone's alexa not play today fm last few weeks

Working ok for me on tune in all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭.red.

If we ask it to play "Today Fm" it plays Tay fm, think its a UK station.
    If we say "Today Frm from tune in radio" it works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

.red. wrote: »
    If we ask it to play "Today Fm" it plays Tay fm, think its a UK station.
    If we say "Today Frm from tune in radio" it works fine.

Tried all and was working fine before but says today fm from tunein not available. Mine is the 1st gen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Anybody else having issues with getting Alexa to add to lists linked to Microsoft TODO app?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Im having trouble accessing your RTE skill right now

Wanting to play rte radio 1, this has happened a few times, and fixes/reasons?

Advertisement