Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

hblock21 wrote: »
    Does Alexa play songs from youtube if you ask it?

You can play youtube on the browsers on the Echo shows (Silk or Firefox)

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Is the echo dot just a smaller echo or does it have to work in addition to an echo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

tina1040 wrote: »
    Is the echo dot just a smaller echo or does it have to work in addition to an echo?

Just a smaller version does (AFAIK) all the same stuff.

Just a note in regard to Amazon Music - Irish customers don't get music with their prime subs. One Echo is €3.99 for Amazon Music Unlimited but it's limited to one echo full stop. We got another one and ended up having to fork out for the full €9.99 subscription which supports one device/group at a time, but at least we can play music on the one in the living room now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Just a smaller version does (AFAIK) all the same stuff.

Just a note in regard to Amazon Music - Irish customers don't get music with their prime subs. One Echo is €3.99 for Amazon Music Unlimited but it's limited to one echo full stop. We got another one and ended up having to fork out for the full €9.99 subscription which supports one device/group at a time, but at least we can play music on the one in the living room now too.

Weirdly enough the prime music works for me... Typicallly none of the UK stuff works, even if I try my hardest to circumvent the limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Does anybody know how to get Christmas FM on tunein with Alexa? I set up a routine for tunein to play 95.3fm and it's not Christmas fm, switched it to 105.2fm and Alexa can't find it on tunein. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Brian017

Does anybody know how to get Christmas FM on tunein with Alexa? I set up a routine for tunein to play 95.3fm and it's not Christmas fm, switched it to 105.2fm and Alexa can't find it on tunein. Thanks

Why not just stream it directly?

Enable the Christmas FM Skill by asking Alexa to ‘Enable Christmas FM’ and from then on just say ‘Start Christmas FM’

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Don't put in the frequency. Type Christmas FM in the routine and select TuneIn from the provider list.

Outside of the routine, on the play tab you can select Christmas FM from the 'local radio' station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Cheers guys, didn't realise there was a Christmas fm skill. Have a smart plug for the Christmas tree lights and now Christmas fm set up on a routine, herself is delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Quick (probably stupid) question.

The two kids both have Fire tablets, both of which I’ve linked to my Amazon account.
    Unfortunately they’re getting notifications of my purchases for Christmas, which could make things awkward.

Is there a way of turning them off?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

Soarer wrote: »
    Quick (probably stupid) question.

The two kids both have Fire tablets, both of which I’ve linked to my Amazon account.
    Unfortunately they’re getting notifications of my purchases for Christmas, which could make things awkward.

Is there a way of turning them off?

Same here. Turn on parental controls and disable shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Hi folks

with these being zigbee enabled,can anyone point me to some recommended window / door sensors for it?? or would you be better served with another hub for that kinda thing??

I have had a Philips Hue Bridge for a while with 3 lamps connected to it. I decided to be adventurous and replace bulbs in my 2 island lights with Hue bulbs.

They are connected and Alexa will turn them on. My problem is I have changed the names in the Hue app to Island 1 And Island 2 but the names in the Alexa app are something like Philips Hue bright white 1 and 2. I hoped it would pick up the name change and I can't figure out how to edit the name in the Alexa app.

I'm a beginner with Home Automation so please be kind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I have had a Philips Hue Bridge for a while with 3 lamps connected to it. I decided to be adventurous and replace bulbs in my 2 island lights with Hue bulbs.

They are connected and Alexa will turn them on. My problem is I have changed the names in the Hue app to Island 1 And Island 2 but the names in the Alexa app are something like Philips Hue bright white 1 and 2. I hoped it would pick up the name change and I can't figure out how to edit the name in the Alexa app.

I'm a beginner with Home Automation so please be kind!!!

In the Alexa app delete the two devices from the list of devices. Then add new device and should find them as their new names.
    Note though that if you have routines setup with the old names they won’t work when the names are changed.

If they’re not found after Alexa app searched them verify they’re listed correctly in the hue app and if still not working then In Alexa app Rey disabling and re enabling the hue skill

jarvis wrote: »
    In the Alexa app delete the two devices from the list of devices. Then add new device and should find them as their new names.
    Note though that if you have routines setup with the old names they won’t work when the names are changed.

If they’re not found after Alexa app searched them verify they’re listed correctly in the hue app and if still not working then In Alexa app Rey disabling and re enabling the hue skill

Thank you! That worked!

Now to group the lights....

All 5 are in an open plan kitchen. Up to now we just request to turn on/off lights and the 3 lamps go on/off. I want to be able to turn on island lights or lamps or all. What's the best way to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Thank you! That worked!

Now to group the lights....

All 5 are in an open plan kitchen. Up to now we just request to turn on/off lights and the 3 lamps go on/off. I want to be able to turn on island lights or lamps or all. What's the best way to do this?

Exactly the way you described!
    Go into the Alexa app and create 3 groups. Island Lights, Kitchen Lamps, Kitchen Lights. Or obviously use your own naming convention.
    Then put the lamps into the Kitchen Lamps group, the island lights into the Island Lights group, and all the lights/lamps into the Kitchen Lights group (you can have a light in more than one group).
    Then you can ask Alexa to turn on/off whichever group you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

celticsfan wrote: »
    Hi folks

with these being zigbee enabled,can anyone point me to some recommended window / door sensors for it?? or would you be better served with another hub for that kinda thing??

I was wondering the same. I have a Hue hub and did have HA but it ended up driving me nuts. If you find an answer, would appreciate any info

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

celticsfan wrote: »
    Hi folks

A dedicated hub is probably best but the Tuya sensors probably work.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Guys

We have two Amazon accounts that have different echos setup for them.

Now one Amazon account has the Philip hue skills along with Alexa commands setup so can I turn off/on lights , however can this setup be copied across to the other Amazon account so that I can use the same commands on both accounts ?

Any response appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys

We have two Amazon accounts that have different echos setup for them.

Now one Amazon account has the Philip hue skills along with Alexa commands setup so can I turn off/on lights , however can this setup be copied across to the other Amazon account so that I can use the same commands on both accounts ?

Any response appreciated.

I don't use Amazon devices... But I'm pretty sure you can have one device set up for multiple users with voice recognition... Having a set of devices for each user seems OTT.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I don't use Amazon devices... But I'm pretty sure you can have one device set up for multiple users with voice recognition... Having a set of devices for each user seems OTT.

See the reason why I am asking this question is one of the Amazon accounts is new and they would like a copy of the existing Alexa hue commands copied across to their account.....is this possible ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I would have thought the best system would be to set up all echos in the same group, smart home stuff like hue can be operated by all users and individual stuff like Spotify or Deezer can be assigned to particular users... At least that's how I would try to set it up.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I would have thought the best system would be to set up all echos in the same group, smart home stuff like hue can be operated by all users and individual stuff like Spotify or Deezer can be assigned to particular users... At least that's how I would try to set it up.

That’s ok if you have one amazon account...but if you have two accounts which I realize is problematic, can you set them up with the same commands for the philips hue skill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

That’s ok if you have one amazon account...but if you have two accounts which I realize is problematic, can you set them up with the same commands for the philips hue skill?

Why do you need separate accounts on the two devices?

wally79 wrote: »
    Why do you need separate accounts on the two devices?

I think I found the solution it's called creating the Alexa Household, there is no extra cost here...see below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/11/19/20970798/amazon-echo-alexa-household-accounts-adults-kids-how-to-add-use

I think I found the solution it's called creating the Alexa Household, there is no extra cost here...see below:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/11/19/20970798/amazon-echo-alexa-household-accounts-adults-kids-how-to-add-use

Even with Household, each profile has separate set of devices, command and routines. This in annoying as hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have four smart bulbs I want to set up with Alexa but want the option to have control all 4 together simultaneously and to also control them as two separate 2s. How is this done in Alexa, by a skill or by using IFTTT? Brand of bulb is Teckin if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Have four smart bulbs I want to set up with Alexa but want the option to have control all 4 together simultaneously and to also control them as two separate 2s. How is this done in Alexa, by a skill or by using IFTTT? Brand of bulb is Teckin if that makes a difference.

You add all the bulbs and then put them into groups as you like

Muahahaha wrote: »

Create separate groups, expample:

All: lights 1, 2, 3 and 4
    Kitchen: lights 1, 2
    Bedrooms: lights 3, 4

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers lads got it sorted in the Alexa app, was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Risoc

I’m looking to set up an Alexa routine for the lamp in the small area under my stairs which is boarded off and has a door.
    I have a Calex Smart Bulb and thought I could simply purchase a magnetic door sensor to activate the bulb when I open the door. Unfortunately it seems all the door sensors are part of other security environments (Ring or Wyse). Do I need to get a hub of some sort (or even a camera etc) to operate these? If it was just the Ring app that wouldn’t be too bad. Are there cheaper sensors that would do the job?

Advertisement