Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RPG - Murder on the Canadian Express SIGN UP THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Poirot at your service :)

Strength [ 2d6 = 8 ] Dexterity [ 2d6 = 8 ] Endurance [ 2d6 = 6 ] Intelligence [ 2d6 = 9 ] Education [ 2d6 = 10 ] Society [ 2d6 = 7 ]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

So I think this is everyone's stats so far:
    Pter wrote: »
    Strength [ 8 ] Dexterity [ 6 ] Endurance [ 5 ] Intelligence [ 6 ] Education [ 10 ] Society [ 6 ]
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Strength [ 6 ] Dexterity [ 7 ] Endurance [ 6 ] Intelligence [ 7 ] Education [ 9 ] Society [ 2 ]
    sullivlo wrote: »
    Strength [ 6 ] Dexterity [ 10 ] Endurance [ 10 ] Intelligence [ 4 ] Education [ 5 ] Society [ 9 ]
    Strength [ 7 ] Dexterity [ 11 ] Endurance [ 8 ] Intelligence [ 7 ] Education [ 4 ] Society [ 3 ]
    opentarget wrote: »
    Strength [ 11 ] Dexterity [ 4 ] Endurance [ 7 ] Intelligence [ 9 ] Education [ 5 ] Society [ 8 ]
    quickbeam wrote: »
    Strength [ 7 ] Dexterity [ 8 ] Endurance [ 10 ] Intelligence [ 8 ] Education [ 6 ] Society [ 8 ]
    Strength [ 2 ] Dexterity [ 9 ] Endurance [ 7 ] Intelligence [ 8 ] Education [ 8 ] Society [ 7 ]
    Barney92 wrote: »
    Strength [ 8 ] Dexterity [ 8 ] Endurance [ 6 ] Intelligence [ 9 ] Education [ 10 ] Society [ 7 ]

OT is getting pushed to the front when the zombies attack. Poor Chancer is at the back. :D Looking forward to getting started now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If anyone is looking for me I'll be in the library carriage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Fighting isn't all about strength . Technique and cunning wins the day;)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

Just out of curiosity, do we come up with a backstory for our characters based on some parameters to work within, or are we given a character to work with by you Fourier? Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Okay so the basic set up (more in the opening post of the game) is there are three political figures on the train and you guys are from intelligence groups sent to help Canadian authorities to ensure these three make it to the end of the train journey.

So you can be from anywhere in the world you want, but you're a spy/federal agent/etc by background. Special detective like Poirot fine as well. Or anything you can think of that fits with this set up.

So all that I need is a name. Background is optional (some people prefer to develop that during the game, rather than come up with one at the start).

Last part of making your character shortly...

Okay last bit is skills. These are just things your character is good at. Pick four from the following list and tell me one they're especially good at. I've little explanations for ones that aren't obvious. With that you're done.

Skills:

Athletics
    Guns
    Melee
    Computer
    Deception
    Engineering
    Repair
    Liaison
    Medicine
    Stealth
    Investigation
    Carousing
    Science
    Leadership

Explanations:
    Engineering: Having this would mean you know how the a train works in detail
    Liaison: the art and practice of negotiation and diplomacy in a myriad of social situations. This skill covers diplomatic meetings, negotiations and talking down a gunman who is holding hostages.
    Athletics: Not the sport, but being physically conditioned like an Athlete
    Investigation: Forensics and analysis
    Repair: the ability to maintain, repair and build mechanical and electronic devices of all sorts. Also covers lockpicking, both mechanical and electronic.
    Carousing: the art of mingling in social settings to achieve your goals. Also covers gambling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Liaison, Investigation, Science (which I would argue links to investigation) and Leadership.

Unless carousing means something cool?

Given the whole “being a science teacher” thing, I hope I’m *particularly* good at that one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Are these skills we're actually good at in RL, or skills we want our characters to be good at?

• Advertisement

Unless carousing means something cool?
    Meant to describe that, in there now.

Are these skills we're actually good at in RL, or skills we want our characters to be good at?
    The characters.

Reworded things there to make it clearer it's the characters.

I’m gonna stick to my original 4. It’s my first foray into RPG - hopefully if I can relate to the character more I might be able to understand what the f**k is going on.

Guns
    Engineering
    Repair
    Carousing

And my name: Meryl Sidebottom

Name: Heta Mari
    Nationality: Dutch
    Skills:
    Melee
    Deception
    Stealth
    Investigation

Investigation would be my best skill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Has Chris Hems... I mean Pter picked his skills yet :P

Necro wrote: »
    Has Chris Hems... I mean Pter picked his skills yet :P
    Pter goes deep immersion for these things, he's currently defusing a bomb on an oil rig.

Ah Molly I was writing out the exact same skills :D

I'll put up my second picks now.

My characters name is Christopher Hemsworthy.

His skills are

Athletic
    Melee
    Leadership
    Carousing

He is very very good at the auld melee.

Pter wrote: »
    Ah Molly I was writing out the exact same skills :D

I'll put up my second picks now.

Soznotsoz. I'm trying to play to my strengths. Lol. Also leaning into the crap Mata Hari character I've chosen for myself.

• Advertisement

Oh my guy is an aussie

I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of sleeveless tops and arm flexing in this RPG.

Nobody said imagination was required for this game :( I'm sh!te at this sort of thing.

Is there a method for chosing a name - mother's maiden name and first pet's name, type of thing?

Is there a method for chosing a name - mother's maiden name and first pet's name, type of thing?

Favourite mod and favourite shade of blue.

sullivlo wrote:
    Favourite mod and favourite shade of blue.

Choose your next words wisely QB.

Don't repeat the mistakes of dognamegate

Ptully sky?

Nobody said imagination was required for this game :( I'm sh!te at this sort of thing.
    I can just randomly select the skills for you if you want.
    No, just whatever you want.
    This can make some good ones:
    https://donjon.bin.sh/weird/name/

Bit of a mouthful but as good a name as any.

My character name is Aurora Belafonte.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

Hey hope I’m not too late/ sorry for keeping you . My dice roll was

Tritium Strength [ 2d6 = 8 ] Dexterity [ 2d6 = 6 ] Endurance [ 2d6 = 7 ] Intelligence [ 2d6 = 8 ] Education [ 2d6 = 7 ] Society [ 2d6 = 5 ]

I’m strictly mr average :D

Will post the other skills bit in a mo

Not late at all tritium

I’m going to go with
    liaison
    Investigation
    Repair and
    deception

Particular skills in liaison

Name: Alexander Petrovic
    Nationality: Russian

Guns as main skill

And I’m a Londoner, innit guv

Name: Otto Hergert, German.

Good at:

Athletics
    Guns <- especially good at
    Computer
    Stealth

Guns - especially good
    Carousing
    Deception
    Medicine

Name - Sean Moore

Nationality - English

Height 6 foot 1

Sex - yes please, loads.

My character name is Aurora Belafonte.
    Aurora is Swedish, but fully fluent in English after studying in Harvard for a stint. She’s taking the trip on the train in the hopes that she will find love after her previous conquest died after a boating accident on Cape Cod.

Character bio and skills incoming. Just waiting for a Skype meeting to start so I can create my character and look busy taking notes at the same time haha

opentarget wrote:
    Character bio and skills incoming. Just waiting for a Skype meeting to start so I can create my character and look busy taking notes at the same time haha

You will do well in this forum.

• Advertisement

I went down the rabbit hole a bit on this one...sorry for the long post :P

Eli Smith, Skills:
    Medicine(Main Skill)
    Melee
    Engineering
    Carousing
    Strength [ 11 ] Dexterity [ 4 ] Endurance [ 7 ] Intelligence [ 9 ] Education [ 5 ] Society [ 8 ]

Eli Smith is the name, I am Canadian from all over the place but mainly the Yukon mining region.
    I was raised by my father after mother died of a pox when I was very young.

As a kid, I was moved from town to town as my father searched for his fortune in the mines.
    My Father was a great machine mechanic and engineer but unfortunately, his fondness for the drink meant he often found himself in trouble and couldn't hold a job for long. We were always on the move to the next place and the next...

I grew up in the yards and machine shops of mining operations soaking up the knowledge from the workers, my education is informal but hands on....smart, but not book smart.

When I was old enough and had enough of my father's drinking I left him and I decided to set roots down in small gold mining town fixing equipment, doing odd jobs and shifting rocks. My father's fondness for the drink haunts me and I keep away for the most part...although I never say never to a single malt.....But my vice is a gamble, be it a game of cards to a roll of dice, it has got me in and out of trouble more times than I can count.

When the mining boom burst I was left with no choice but to enlist in the military, this wasn't all bad I had always wanted to see the wider world.

My spotty upbringing meant I wasn't quite officer material but I dug in and climbed the social structure of the military the hard way by being a grafter.

My years of mining gave me brute strength which I found was quite a good match to Queensberry rules and I become the battalions champion boxer (still unbeaten...) although not being the most dexterous of fighters I always rely on strength to win and have taken plenty of hits in the process...but if it works it works.

My time in the military showed me I was a quick learner and after a time I found a calling for medicine and focused my attention on becoming a field medic "if you can fix a machine you can fix a man" my mentor always said.

Apparently, my unique life experience and talents have brought me to the attention of intelligence officers...let's see where this takes me.

Jesus Christ that's class :)

Fourier we found one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Jacques Lefebvre

Strength [ 8 ] Dexterity [ 8 ] Endurance [ 6 ] Intelligence [ 9 ] Education [ 10 ] Society [ 7 ]

Jacques has deluded himself into thinking he is Hercule Poirot, and so fancies himself as the next great detective. In reality, he is a librarian with a questionable moustache, an array of three-piece suits, a fabulous cane and a completely unnecessary pince-nez.

Medicine
    Investigation
    Computer (Main Skill)
    Engineering

That's brilliant Barney :D

Barney92 wrote: »
    Jacques Lefebvre

a questionable moustache, an array of three-piece suits, a fabulous cane and a completely unnecessary pince-nez.

Sounds like half the people I work with :P

Okay that's everybody done nicely.

I'll have a few posts tomorrow for some little starting items your characters have (e.g. Strawb will get a pistol, if she wants it).

On Sunday I'll have the opening post and details of how we'll play the game, i.e. when I'll be online to respond etc

And on Monday we start!

• Advertisement

Damn right I want a pistol!!

Sean Moore has always considered himself a good guy. But he's a good guy who just does bad things .

A fondness for the ladies, Irish whiskey and the odd rail of cocaine often leads Sean down paths that he doesn't need to go. He sees is as "boys being boys" but sadly, it's been many a year since he could claim being of boy age.

When on the straight and narrow however, Sean is an accomplished jiu jitsu performer. Taking home dozens of medals in competition. Sean took great satisfaction in using technique, resilience and quick wits to overpower stronger opponents and lock in sleeper holds or an armbar. There's a famous clip of Sean choking out a much larger opponent, scanning the crowd , locking eyes with the opponents girlfriend and giving her a cheeky wink and smile.

His work has always remained a mystery. People only know he wears an expensive suit and works "for the government" which involves a lot of time away and travel overseas. Anyone who has seen him on the shooting range knows those talents go beyond natural instincts. He always has the latest babe mobile car in the drive way and is in excellent shape despite rarely seen working out. Never married, Sean has a wide social circle and attends luxury events all over the world with his home littered with keepsakes from every corner of the globe.

A keen sense of adventure and a search for adrenaline has seen Sean sign up for this journey. (And in the back of his mind , he's heard that CANADIAN women are drop dead goegeous) .

Alexander Dimitri petrovic was born in a small village near St. Petersburg, and joined the Russian secret service after being approached by representatives during his time in university. Seen as a solid performer rather than a star in his class, his strength was quickly identified as being in the diplomatic side of things, albeit he also had a keen ability to work with electronics and IEDs when needed.

Within active service he was acknowledged as a fine negotiator in his team, but struggled to rise beyond the rank of Captain, hampered by official suspicion of him due to his Jewish immigrant grandparents and his late fathers political activities and associated criminal record.

Well respected within the service, he’d earned the nickname the polar bear from a hostage incident he’d resolved at a research centre near the arctic circle. Unflatteringly his detractors modified this to the failure bear shortly after when another hostage situation went disastrously wrong, leading to the deaths of all hostages and Alexander suffering severe injuries that left him with a pronounced limp.

Embittered by what he saw as political interference leading to the missions failure, Alexander resigned his commission. He left Russia shortly after a prominent Russian official, a man Alexander blamed for his missions failure, was killed in a blast caused by an improvised bomb hidden in his ballpoint pen. While questioned about the murder, ultimately Alexander was released after two Chechen separatists were linked to the crime and killed in a firefight at a local shopping mall. The officers who interrogated Alexander described him as a ‘sound guy’, one beaming as he told how he’d swapped his Mercedes for Alexander’s skoda in a “super deal”

traveling and working freelance for a number of years. His work in Iraq convinced him that both sides were as bad as each other, and he would likely have spent his days as an asset for hire to the highest bidder were it not for the intervention of sister O’Shea of the little sisters of the poor. An unexpected role in helping the kindly old sister negotiate the release of a school full of children held hostage by the Taliban had given Alexander a purpose again, and in recent years he has dedicated his time to more ethical causes.

Somewhat rehabilitated with his former Russian paymasters he is currently considering an offer to return to the service. In the meantime however he travels on the Canadian express to fulfill a debt of honour- to visit the ailing Sister O’Shea in her final days. Either with the grace of god or his own steam he is determined to get there in time.

Jesus these stories are brilliant. Heta's story will not be as detailed. Lol. Will get something up later maybe. What timeframe are we set in? 20s or present day or what?

Seriously great cast of characters coming together!
    Really painting a picture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement