Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we a high wage economy

Options
  • 22-10-2018 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭

Having family in the uk, I notice this we seem to pay ourselves far more in general for a degree-related job in the health services or in general and have hight or very high expectations for salaries. I know of 3 different professions that in the UK are paid 2/3 of what the same profession would pay here, on the other hand, the UK has the NHS, genuine free schooling and in a lot of areas cheaper housing so maybe it's not comparing like with like?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Absolutely not comparing like for like. We are a nation of under 5 million. There is more people in one city in the UK then there is on our whole island.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Nope not at all. My job pays roughly €15 phr, the exact same job for the exact same company in America pays roughly $35-42 phr plus added benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Absolutely not comparing like for like. We are a nation of under 5 million. There is more people in one city in the UK then there is on our whole island.

What has that got to do with how we pay ourselves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

At the height of the last boom, while our employers were bemoaning the cost of doing business here and saying our wages are too high, a study concluded that Irish people worked the longest hours for the least pay of all the major economies in Europe. Some people will tell you the minimum wage is too high, though most wouldn't consider it a living wage. Some roles might be paid relatively high compared to what is paid abroad, but in most cases I wouldn't say wages here are high.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Nope not at all. My job pays roughly €15 phr, the exact same job for the exact same company in America pays roughly $35-42 phr plus added benefits.

That is very unusual as the US cost of living is so much lower they tend to pay less. You certainly don't have as much rights as an employee over there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is very unusual as the US cost of living is so much lower they tend to pay less. You certainly don't have as much rights as an employee over there.

Agree with the above.

And the premise of the thread was not 'Are we the best paid in the world' - comparing to one country and saying no is of little benefit.

Clearly we are well paid by most if not all measures. Our cost of living is also high though.

But, all things being equal. We are a wealthy nation.

At the height of the last boom, while our employers were bemoaning the cost of doing business here and saying our wages are too high, a study concluded that Irish people worked the longest hours for the least pay of all the major economies in Europe. Some people will tell you the minimum wage is too high, though most wouldn't consider it a living wage. Some roles might be paid relatively high compared to what is paid abroad, but in most cases I wouldn't say wages here are high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_countries_by_average_wage

Give a look at the above. Pretty much the same as Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

If I was paying myself then I'd give myself a raise, and tell myself to take Fridays off, and don't come in until 11am

Thanks boss!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

mariaalice wrote: »
    Having family in the uk, I notice this we seem to pay ourselves far more in general for a degree-related job in the health services or in general and have hight or very high expectations for salaries. I know of 3 different professions that in the UK are paid 2/3 of what the same profession would pay here, on the other hand, the UK has the NHS, genuine free schooling and in a lot of areas cheaper housing so maybe it's not comparing like with like?

Its all relative.

We are one of the most taxed nations in the world at the moment when you factor in cost of living , Health insurance, pension tax etc etc

It all comes down to disposable income

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

We have "high" wages compared with other countries but the cost of living is also very high.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....of any job in Ireland you have very little rights to job security. You may have some vacation, work break, and hours worked rights but these are being eroded all the time and very few people have the bravery to look for and get their legal rights in this regard. Working through breaks and long hours etc is the new work norm.

France now has the ridiculous situation where people are officially paid for 32 hours per week but are secretly expected to work for much longer hours. If they do not cooperate in this subterfuge and do not have union protection they can be fired.

Ireland engages in similar stunts, loading down workers with more work than can be accomplished in the time allowed and expecting a lot of work to be done at home. Most training and development is now done on the employees time in the evenings, weekends or unpaid on their own time where this was on company time in the past. Also unpaid travel time to compulsory off site venues for work or training is now the norm.

doolox wrote: »
    ....of any job in Ireland you have very little rights to job security. You may have some vacation, work break, and hours worked rights but these are being eroded all the time and very few people have the bravery to look for and get their legal rights in this regard. Working through breaks and long hours etc is the new work norm.

France now has the ridiculous situation where people are officially paid for 32 hours per week but are secretly expected to work for much longer hours. If they do not cooperate in this subterfuge and do not have union protection they can be fired.

Ireland engages in similar stunts, loading down workers with more work than can be accomplished in the time allowed and expecting a lot of work to be done at home. Most training and development is now done on the employees time in the evenings, weekends or unpaid on their own time where this was on company time in the past. Also unpaid travel time to compulsory off site venues for work or training is now the norm.

Is that just anecdotal or any source?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

and there are many careers that pay vastly more in the UK than here..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

They are also using Non-Nationals to drive down wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Its all relative.

We are one of the most taxed nations in the world at the moment when you factor in cost of living , Health insurance, pension tax etc etc

yup

and the numbers are not good

http://www.finfacts.ie/Irish_finance_news/articleDetail.php?Ireland-in-19th-rank-for-disposable-income-22-below-OECD-average-749

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

lawred2 wrote: »
    and there are many careers that pay vastly more in the UK than here..

Outside finance, hard to think.

Remember sterling is in a long term fall against the euro. It came in at 1.6 or so. Now it’s at 1.1. The Irish punt was 1.26 on entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Utter nonsense. We have very good employment protection.

One of my team is off all week getting training and 3 were off all of last week in the wider team doing training.

Redundancy rights here are pretty good and company now have to keep an insolvency fund.

Try the US where you can be fired on the spot with no notice or redundancy no matter how long you worked there.

I would say the opposite, wages in the US are far higher in skilled roles anyway. Jobs that pay in the 50 to 60k bracket here will be over 100k dollars (with less tax on that too so more into your hand).

A colleague of mine started on 125k dollars when he moved to the US and this is a started wage in the field with just a few years experience and all the tech companies in the region pay similar. He was on 40k euro here.

It is true you haven’t the same rights or holidays though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Its all relative.

For me wages were higher in the USA and I got my health insurance, which is far more expensive in the US than here, covered. On the flip side, tax is too high here, for those of us who pay the higher rate and far too few people are being taxed. I'd also consider good work life balance to be worth a good chunk of cash. Work dominated my life in the US, whilst I tend to have a decent balance here.
    Is that just anecdotal or any source?

I've noticed this personally. My last two employers blurbed on about their training budget and the amazing training they were going to give me but it failed to materialise on joining. The budget was there and it was spent but we never got to avail of it. The office darlings and people who weren't very good at their jobs were sent. One of the leads must have spent two weeks a month on training, no exaggeration.

Yep, I managed to bargain for a few days extra during a performance review, to bring mine up to a massive 18 days. Was told to keep it to myself.

I would say the opposite, wages in the US are far higher in skilled roles anyway. Jobs that pay in the 50 to 60k bracket here will be over 100k dollars (with less tax on that too so more into your hand).

A colleague of mine started on 125k dollars when he moved to the US and this is a started wage in the field with just a few years experience and all the tech companies in the region pay similar. He was on 40k euro here.

More than half of that is shooting out on rent if he’s in SV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

We're a high cost economy, and what's been exposed in the last few years is that despite the "recovery", many people are no better - or actually worse - off in real terms.

And those in the care sector on €10 an hour. Give over with your sweeping generalisations.

More than half of that is shooting out on rent if he’s in SV.

His rent is not too bad, can’t remember the exact numbers but somewhere between 2k and 2.5k dollars if I remember correctly and the rent in Ireland was close to 1500. Lovely place too 20 mins drive from work.

He told me that with his wife currently not working they are saving more at the end of the month on his salary alone than on their combined salaries in Ireland that tells it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

We actually do have one of the highest average industrial wages in the world, according to an article I read a while back. Small countries with small populations like Luxembourg tended to dominate the list of highest average industrial wages. I think a reason was given for this but I can't recall what it was.

His rent is not too bad, can’t remember the exact numbers but somewhere between 2k and 2.5k dollars if I remember correctly and the rent in Ireland was close to 1500. Lovely place too 20 mins drive from work.

He told me that with his wife currently not working they are saving more at the end of the month on his salary alone than on their combined salaries in Ireland that tells it all really.

2k in Silicon Valley would get a studio, at best. Unless he’s well away from SV proper. Also taxes are not that low there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It always makes me laugh when they throw out these figures around Budget Day example John is single 35 and earns 75k a year. Id love Johns job ha ha. I am highly qualified and the most ive earned in my industry (engineering) despite years of experience is 50k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Why does that matter? It is always calculated per capita

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

It always makes me laugh when they throw out these figures around Budget Day example John is single 35 and earns 75k a year. Id love Johns job ha ha. I am highly qualified and the most ive earned in my industry (engineering) despite years of experience is 50k.

50K would be only slightly above average industrial wage.

seems low for an experienced engineer- you may be getting screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think this is a myth. Been to the US a few times and always found it to be expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dr Brown wrote: »
    They are also using Non-Nationals to drive down wages.

In all my time I have never met anybody who did not have a nationality.

Advertisement