Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we a high wage economy

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dr Brown wrote: »
    They are also using Non-Nationals to drive down wages.

But I thought they came here to scam social welfare?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

It always makes me laugh when they throw out these figures around Budget Day example John is single 35 and earns 75k a year. Id love Johns job ha ha. I am highly qualified and the most ive earned in my industry (engineering) despite years of experience is 50k.

You need to change job. Any engineer with over 10 years of experience should be earning at least 75k.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

Brian? wrote: »
    But I thought they came here to scam social welfare?

Your right that's also a problem with Non-Nationals.

Your sarcasm meter is defective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Brian? wrote: »
    You need to change job. Any engineer with over 10 years of experience should be earning at least 75k.

Engineers typically aren't well paid as a profession when they are employees. They can make great entrepreneurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is very unusual as the US cost of living is so much lower they tend to pay less. You certainly don't have as much rights as an employee over there.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    I think this is a myth. Been to the US a few times and always found it to be expensive.

It's a huge country, it doesn't have a single cost of living. San Francisco and New York are eye-wateringly expensive, even compared to here, but places like Mississippi are far far cheaper.

For a reason. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    That is very unusual as the US cost of living is so much lower they tend to pay less. You certainly don't have as much rights as an employee over there.

I think this is a myth. Been to the US a few times and always found it to be expensive.

In Chicago right now and it's more expensive here than Ireland, and that's before you factor in 20% tips which are mandatory here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

professore wrote: »
    In Chicago right now and it's more expensive here than Ireland, and that's before you factor in 20% tips which are mandatory here.

I disagree, when you factor in the cost of renting, the number of cheap supermarkets, car insurance, and clothing, I find Chicago cheaper than living in Dublin. Income taxes are also lower. The only expense that is significantly higher is for healthcare, which is obviously very important, but the quality of treatment here is a million miles ahead of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

professore wrote: »

Tips were discretionary in August when I was there.When did this change to mandatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This is Eurostat data, from the 2014 SES survey.

Median_gross_hourly_earnings%2C_all_employees_%28excluding_apprentices%29%2C_2014_YB17.png

• Advertisement

Estimated_hourly_labour_costs%2C_2017_%28EUR%29_CORR.png

This data is from the 2014 Eurostat SES survey:

Median_gross_hourly_earnings_and_low-wage_earners%2C_2014_V3.png

I like this data, that shows the 10th, 50th and 90th percentile:

Gross hourly earnings dispersion ratios, 2014.png

Table_2_Gross_hourly_earnings_dispersion_ratios%2C_2014.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

stratowide wrote: »
    Tips were discretionary in August when I was there.When did this change to mandatory.

It's pretty much mandatory in the US. Only the lowest of the low don't tip there no matter how bad the service is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

It's pretty much mandatory in the US. Only the lowest of the low don't tip there no matter how bad the service is.

Yeah, but closer to 15% I'd say. Or maybe I'm just tight :)

Its still not a huge burden given how cheaply you can live here. Plenty of bars where you can get a pint of light beer for $2, or nicer beers for $4. And food shopping can be exceptionally cheap, even for good quality produce

Engineers typically aren't well paid as a profession when they are employees. They can make great entrepreneurs.

I have to disagree. I know exactly what some engineers earn as employees. Hence my 75k remark. I just left an engineering managers job in Ireland.

they/them/theirs

Schrodingers immigrant. They're here to steal your job and claim the dole at the same time.

they/them/theirs

Yeah, but closer to 15% I'd say. Or maybe I'm just tight :)

Its still not a huge burden given how cheaply you can live here. Plenty of bars where you can get a pint of light beer for $2, or nicer beers for $4. And food shopping can be exceptionally cheap, even for good quality produce

You are going to very different parts of the US than me as I find it very expensive and I’ve been around to a lot of different places. The cheapest pint I’ve seen is about 6 dollars (and they are small US “pints” and a 20% tip needed on top of that). As I’m usually there on holiday or for work I don’t food shop but eating out is very expensive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

It's extremely dependent on location in the US. A salary of $115K in Boston MA is the equivalent of $74,645 in Charlotte NC. In San Francisco, you would need $149,757 for the same lifestyle.

I chose those cities as they are some of the locations of my employer.

https://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/index.html

Advertisement