Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tommy Robinson jailed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Yea of course, and I have a lot of skepticism. But I remember being continually surprised.

I watched the first 10 minutes then skipped ahead a few times and watched a few segments. It's just him talking about all the bad things muslims have done and how harshly he has been treated. What exactly surprised you about it? It's the same thing he spouts all the time and the people like him spout on here. I can sum up the video in one paraphrase. 'I'm not saying all muslims should be tarred with the same brush but look at what these bad muslims did. Why are we letting more muslims in?'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Here's a link to the contempt of court ruling.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1001150436009750528?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Also to reasonable people who have a blanket bad opinion of Tommy Robinson like I did, if you are interested he spoke at Oxford Union and it gives a lot of background about him. I saw him in a new light in part because of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YQ94jFg_4A
    Just finished watching that, thanks for posting it

20Cent wrote: »
    Here's a link to the contempt of court ruling.

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1001150436009750528?s=19

Just to make it clearer for all, this is from the 2017 case. Not from Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I watched the first 10 minutes then skipped ahead a few times and watched a few segments. It's just him talking about all the bad things muslims have done and how harshly he has been treated. What exactly surprised you about it? It's the same thing he spouts all the time and the people like him spout on here. I can sum up the video in one paraphrase. 'I'm not saying all muslims should be tarred with the same brush but look at what these bad muslims did. Why are we letting more muslims in?'

Fair play for watching. Ah just a couple of things, like when they responded to a group of nazi's turning up at an edl event by fighting them and making a video burning a nazi flag, which got him in trouble with neo nazis in germany. How black people were involved and were targetted by muslim gangs . How he uses the word paddy (jokingly) to describe his family.
    How he knew people affected by similar gangs and saw the same attitudes of police well before any Rotherham/ Telford stuff. The police treatment of him being very suspect. I.e. jumping over a fence and grabbing an ISIS flag off muslims marching he was charged with attacking a police officer (coz he bumped into him coming over the fence) but it was dropped when the video was released.

It just gave me an impression that it wasn't quite so straightforward as 'white supremecist hates muslims, oh and the irish'. You weren't convinced, fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: thebull85, don't post in this thread again.

Buford T. Justice.
    Mod note: Reversed.

Apologies to all, I thought I had done this earlier.

Buford T. JUstice

thebull85 wrote: »
    You should read a book, its called a dictionary. Look up the word racist. You're welcome.

It should be pointed out that many organisations use a broader definition. And international Law also uses a broader definition.

Racial discrimination as defined in international law is "any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

deco nate wrote: »
    Just to make it clearer for all, this is from the 2017 case. Not from Friday.

It makes for interesting reading. I'm only halfway through but the judge makes clear that outside the court, the court precinct, counts as the courts environs and so filming is not allowed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It should be pointed out that many organisations use a broader definition. And international Law also uses a broader definition.

Bullsh*t, it comes down to the colour of your skin.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    It makes for interesting reading. I'm only halfway through but the judge makes clear that outside the court, the court precinct, counts as the courts environs and so filming is not allowed there.
    He ask a cop, then moved across the road and filmed himself talking.

Bullsh*t, it comes down to the colour of your skin.

You are, of course, entitled to disagree with the 179 parties to the international agreement but let's not act like everyone who does agree with them is talking bull****. Their position is based on a lot more than yours.

I’d lock the thread now, the real scum are arriving.

Just the rereg person that keeps popping up.
    Nothing to worry about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Jeez, there is an embargo on this court "case" as it's one of a series of court cases all related to the same initial arrests. It has been made because it's easy to see how people in the jury would hear "X number of people have been found guilty in the trial of" and then they would not pay proper attention to their related court case and not give a fair trail by listening only to the facts presented to them in court to make their mind up.

It's nothing new in large cases against multiple defendants were the cases are staggered so that it's more manageable logistically.

Tony Robinson has a suspended sentence for doing exactly the same before (reporting on an embargoed ongoing court case). It's not a conspiracy to hide the truth from people, but an attempt to bring justice as per the law of the land.

The Sun was perfectly ok to name the suspects at the time of arrest as it was in the public interest and crucially not seen as swaying any potential jury (no embargo).

News outlets are tip toeing around reporting it because it might be seen as an attempt to break that embargo.

Just the rereg person that keeps popping up.
    Nothing to worry about

It's ran its course though, just going round in circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I don’t think he even knows what he’s replying to :pac:

saccades wrote: »
    Jeez, there is an embargo on this court "case" as it's one of a series of court cases all related to the same initial arrests. It has been made because it's easy to see how people in the jury would hear "X number of people have been found guilty in the trial of" and then they would not pay proper attention to their related court case and not give a fair trail by listening only to the facts presented to them in court to make their mind up.

It's nothing new in large cases against multiple defendants were the cases are staggered so that it's more manageable logistically.

Tony Robinson has a suspended sentence for doing exactly the same before (reporting on an embargoed ongoing court case). It's not a conspiracy to hide the truth from people, but an attempt to bring justice as per the law of the land.

The Sun was perfectly ok to name the suspects at the time of arrest as it was in the public interest and crucially not seen as swaying any potential jury (no embargo).

News outlets are tip toeing around reporting it because it might be seen as an attempt to break that embargo.
    there was no embargo on the case.
    If you read the sun it says alleged andthen gives the charges against them. Just like most other rape cases the defendants can be named in the media. The ban is for tr getting 13 months, cannot be reported in the media until the full case is over, about another 6 months.

Have to agree

If you look down the bottom of the posts there is an "unfollow" button. It stops you getting updates.

If you look down the bottom of the posts there is an "unfollow" button. It stops you getting updates.

Is there one for you too?

• Advertisement

Is there one for you too?

Yes everyone should have it

He ask a cop, then moved across the road and filmed himself talking.

I just read the rest. Sorry I was delayed. I watched Con Air in between. :D

Firstly there were the conditions of his suspended sentance. .
    There will be no conditions that
    need to be attached to that suspended sentence, but
    you should be under no illusions that if you commit
    any further offence of any kind, and that would
    include, I would have thought a further contempt of
    court by similar actions, then that sentence of three
    months would be activated, and that would be on top of
    anything else that you were given by any other court.
    In short, Mr. Yaxley-Lennon, turn up at another court,
    refer to people as "Muslim paedophiles, Muslim
    rapists" and so on and so forth while trials are
    ongoing and before there has been a finding by a jury
    that that is what they are, and you will find yourself
    inside. Do you understand? Thank you very much.

On pages 12,13 and 14 the judge also mentions a few interesting things. The main point is that last year he put a reporting ban on the case until the trial was over. It's because of the ban on the original trial and it extends to the contempt of court one because the judge didn't feel it would be possible to report on one without mentioning the other.
    JUDGE NORTON: That stays in place, and certainly I have
    already had one member of the press coming to seek to
    clarify that with me, and that does include this
    gentleman. There was some question as to whether or
    not there could be some reporting if it was simply
    done in an anodyne way without reference to this
    particular trial. I cannot, I have to say, see that
    it would benefit the press to do that. I would have
    thought that if they are going to report it they would
    want to report it fully, at which they are nodding.
    So we are at a sensitive juncture, the jury are
    expected to retire tomorrow, so we will have verdicts
    later this week, so I do prohibit publication of any
    matter relating to these proceedings until the
    conclusion of the trial.

He later says this includes everything including tweets, web, broadcasts, the lot really.

If, this arrest is like last years and there's a prohibition on reporting on the ongoing abuse trial, then it looks like something similar might have happened and that blanket ban was extended to this trial. Because there's been no reporting on any of the proceedings, just the arrest and the fact that he's in jail. Nothing inbetween.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Thought this was a good picture of the racist and bigoted English Defence league, your man in blue and orange was in the bog too long tho brave man wearing a hat in this heat.

https://imgur.com/a/y8DqJa5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thought this was a good picture of the racist and bigoted English Defence league, your man in blue and orange was in the bog too long tho brave man wearing a hat in this heat.

That's Sikh bruv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I watched the Oxford Union address by TR and as always he gave a very good account of himself. It's a pity he was restricted in what he could say.

It was interesting that some said that the EDL inflamed the situation. This is absurd. Like there is some standard procedure for dealing with Muslim extremists in Britain. We know what the standard procedure is amongst the police and politicians - ignore it, it might go away by itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sentence of 13 months confirmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Sentence of 13 months confirmed.

so the trials were not at sentencing stage as some of stephens supporters tried to claim

At the time of the incident, jurors were in the process of considering verdicts after hearing six weeks’ of evidence.

He cant say he wasnt warned. Perhaps he wanted to be a martyr. 13 months is an odd sentence though.

He was subject to a suspended sentence for contempt during a rape trial in Canterbury last year.
    Robinson was warned that if he broke the law again he would be jailed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

wes wrote: »
    He had a suspended sentence for acting the maggot outside a court, and has done so again. There are restrictions about reporting ongoing court cases, especially those involving grooming cases involving children, those protections are there just as much to protect the identity of the victim, as well as to ensure a safe prosecution.

Strange how no such restrictions applied to a recent high profile rape trial in the UK.

professore wrote: »
    Strange how no such restrictions applied to a recent high profile rape trial in the UK.

did that trial have children as victims and involve dozens of defendants spread over multiple trials?

• Advertisement

If you're talking about Northern Ireland, they have different rules. And even talking . about the UK in general a rape trial isn't the same as a case involving minors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

His supporters should go on 'not tidying their bedroom or eating the dinner their Mamy makes them' strike in solidarity.

El Weirdo wrote: »

"Hoist by his own petard" i think is the appropriate phrase.

I would say knowing who these accused paedophiles are would do a lot more to protect current and future victims than a press blackout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

His supporters should go on 'not tidying their bedroom or eating the dinner their Mamy makes them' strike in solidarity.

I think you're mistaking them for Antifa lefties:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4200272/92-Berlin-left-wing-activists-live-parents.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

conorhal wrote: »

Same difference really.

I would say knowing who these accused paedophiles are would do a lot more to protect current and future victims than a press blackout.

so does that make what stephen did ok? You do know the restrictions will most likely be removed after ALL of the trials are over?

This arrest has given the far right a huge shot in the arm in the UK.

I think Tommy Robinson's biggest problem is he looks and talks like (as in his accent) what people expect someone from the far right to look and talk like. He actually has a large non white fanbase. He is too radical for me but he makes several good points that should be addressed like the imbalance in hate speech prosecutions in favour of Muslims for one. And the paedophile gang coverups of course.

Seems it's OK to be a paedophile in the UK if you are Jimmy Savile or Muslim. As long as your victims are mainly working class no problem.

so does that make what stephen did ok? You do know the restrictions will most likely be removed after ALL of the trials are over?

He - debatably - broke the law by not adhering to his bail conditions to the letter. Was it wrong what he did? I don't think so. Just because something is against the law doesn't make it wrong.

• Advertisement

He - debatably - broke the law by not adhering to his bail conditions to the letter. Was it wrong what he did? I don't think so. Just because something is against the law doesn't make it wrong.

well first off he wasnt on bail. He was on a suspended sentence. Secondly he was jailed for contempt of court, his suspended sentence was not activated. Hence why he got 13 months instead of the 3 months suspended that was hanging over him. And there is no debate that he broke the law. What he knowingly did possibly put months of court time in jeopardy. Though i would expect nothing else from a far right thicko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Thickos from the left and Thickos from the right but there's no denying a majority of muslims treat women children homosexuals Jews and Sikhs and the odd black dog very badly.

Billy Mays wrote: »

the author of that doesn't think much of Stephen the martyr does he?

Somebody on twitter suggested a Live Aid type single to support Tommy and some lyrics were put together

https://twitter.com/LittleBritFirst/status/1001459223237099521

tommy1.png
    tommy2.png
    tommy3.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

I get a laugh from all the virtue signaling. We have laws to protect the victims of rape but all of a sudden people dont want to protect the victims when they can get a dig at a group they dislike. Really shows how much they care about the victims.

I get a laugh from all the virtue signaling. We have laws to protect the victims of rape but all of a sudden people dont want to protect the victims when they can get a dig at a group they dislike. Really shows how much they care about the victims.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that one cannot care about the victims and despite Stephen at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive. You also seem to be under the misapprehension that what Stephen was doing was in any way helping the victims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Anyway.. sorry to disappoint some of you but Tommy is doing as well as can be expected in prison. Very low muslim population and he has the support of many of the inmates in the prison.

Anyway.. sorry to disappoint some of you but Tommy is doing as well as can be expected in prison. Very low muslim population and he has the support of many of the inmates in the prison.

well he is an ex-con, thug and part-time football hooligan so it is not surprising he has the support of criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I don't know about inmates supporting him. Aren't pedophiles the lowest of then low in prison and usually kept away from general population?.

Why would people be happy with pedophiles getting off on mistrial due to tommies stupidity?.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement