Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incident at Roscommon hotel (asylum seekers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I typed in the links that prove my point.
    https://www.irishrefugeecouncil.ie/about. See the The Atlantic Philanthropists. https://www.atlanticphilanthropies.org/grants?q=&date-range-start=1982&date-range-end=2019&amount-start=0&amount-end=1000000000&regions%5B%5D=68&qtyresults=50&sort=grant_year_awarded%7CDESC. The funding is there for the Irish Refugee Council and The Immigrant Council of Ireland. I

• Registered Users Posts: 34,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Why is there a death of towns.

One-off housing.

Kivaro wrote: »
    They post from early morning to late at night espousing the benefits of economic migration from non-EU countries

If you're looking in my direction, I think we should have a points-based immigration system similar to Australia, if you're non-EU and have skills which are in demand then grand. Apart from that we should only let in our fair share of genuine refugees, not the 95+% of chancers we have coming in now.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,652 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

One-off housing.
    If you're looking in my direction, I think we should have a points-based immigration system similar to Australia, if you're non-EU and have skills which are in demand then grand. Apart from that we should only let in our fair share of genuine refugees, not the 95+% of chancers we have coming in now.

Don't be misguided by the rhetoric.

Ireland has fairly robust migration laws with the vast majority of asylum applications been rejected. The process was drawn out and flawed and will probably need a tribunal to sort out some day, but we had a veto of how many refugees we had to take and at that we still have only taken half of them.

The Big Tech companies have to spend quite a lot of money to get fast tracked visas for skilled workers from outside the EU, but like Australia if you have a skill that is required chances are you will be allowed in to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Boggles wrote: »
    Don't be misguided by the rhetoric.

Ireland has fairly robust migration laws with the vast majority of asylum applications been rejected. The process was drawn out and flawed and will probably need a tribunal to sort out some day, but we had a veto of how many refugees we had to take and at that we still have only taken half of them.

The Big Tech companies have to spend quite a lot of money to get fast tracked visas for skilled workers from outside the EU, but like Australia if you have a skill that is required chances are you will be allowed in to work.

They are allowed to appeal decisions numerous times at taxpayers expense right up to the highest court in the land, until this is changed then the system is far from robust.

Pamela Izevbekhai being just one example of someone playing the system and leaving a bill of a million quid behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,103 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ireland has fairly robust migration laws with the vast majority of asylum applications been rejected.

Yet only a fraction of those rejected get deported. They either play the system like a fiddle with groundless appeals for years on end at our expense, or "disappear", or have a kid and get the Journal to run some nice articles about how inhuman it would be to deport them.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

They are allowed to appeal decisions numerous times at taxpayers expense right up to the highest court in the land, until this is changed then the system is far from robust.

Pamela Izevbekhai being just one example of someone playing the system and leaving a bill of a million quid behind her.

Your own example got deported eventually. That's robust.

I did mention the problems in the post you replied to if you want to read it again.
    Yet only a fraction of those rejected get deported.

What's the fraction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭malinheader

Deported after leaving a bill of 1 million euros behind her. That was robust alright. Are you serious or just winding.

Deported after leaving a bill of 1 million euros behind her.

Like I said, flawed.
    That was robust alright.

She exhausted the system and was still booted, like I said robust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Like I said, flawed.

You call that robust :D

I would love to be the 2nd hand car salesman when you walk on to the forecourt!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Like I said, flawed.

A ro bust system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Wibbs wrote: »
    And that worked fantastically well with Ellie Kisyombe. Oh wait... no, it didn't. And she's not the only one. There have been a fair number of well publicised accounts of "asylum seekers" gaming the Irish system. Funny how the numbers of Nigerians for example dropped off after changes in the residency regs. The Celtic tiger dropping dead helped too.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ellie-kisyombe-to-run-in-elections-after-correcting-back-story-party-says-1.3881481?fbclid=IwAR1PInXeP8aWU-zBF6TtM3tgnhhsFqYP4m_x-iAtgMHk_tdke95z98uNhsQ

She shouldn't be running. She's creating a terrible image for asylum seekers as liars (EDIT: since apparently she's the best representative that could be found) who aren't to be trusted and the Soc Dems look absolutely awful for sticking by her despite the fact they know she lied.

If anti-migrant groups ever wanted a slam dunk talking point, Ellie and the Soc Dems have delivered it right to their door.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    She shouldn't be running. She's creating a terrible image for asylum seekers as liars
    They are all desperate to get a foothold in a Western country. To the point of seeking asylum in many countries and under many identities.
    DNA registering asylum seekers is an easy way to control this.

No wonder they think our society is as soft as ****e.
    We must look a right joke to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/ellie-kisyombe-to-run-in-elections-after-correcting-back-story-party-says-1.3881481?fbclid=IwAR1PInXeP8aWU-zBF6TtM3tgnhhsFqYP4m_x-iAtgMHk_tdke95z98uNhsQ

She shouldn't be running. She's creating a terrible image for asylum seekers as liars (EDIT: since apparently she's the best representative that could be found) who aren't to be trusted and the Soc Dems look absolutely awful for sticking by her despite the fact they know she lied.

If anti-migrant groups ever wanted a slam dunk talking point, Ellie and the Soc Dems have delivered it right to their door.
    Mod: What has this got to do with Rooskey? Take the politics to Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭Odhinn

No wonder they think our society is as soft as ****e.
    We must look a right joke to them.

Given the rejection rate, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

Odhinn wrote: »

Rejected Asylum Seekers get Leave To Remain Visas after countless appeals because the government haven't the backbone to deport the chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

Dude89 wrote: »
    Rejected Asylum Seekers get Leave To Remain Visas after countless appeals because the government haven't the backbone to deport the chancers.

Not that they haven't got the back bone, it's because they take there orders from Europe,
    They are not the Irish government, they are the Irish wing of the European government,

Dude89 wrote: »

You can back that up with sourced numbers

• Advertisement

How many are actually deported? Less than a fifth of deportation orders are actually carried out.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/less-than-a-fifth-of-deportation-orders-carried-out-1.3680876?mode=amp

Another 2,245 returned home voluntarily. So far this year, 174 people facing deportation have chosen to leave voluntarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

gw80 wrote: »
    Not that they haven't got the back bone, it's because they take there orders from Europe,
    They are not the Irish government, they are the Irish wing of the European government,

Are irexit still running the campaign from London after they were rumbled? Slightly embarrassing mistake to make

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Given the rejection rate, I doubt it.

Given the deportation rate, I don't doubt it

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-has-lowest-refusal-rate-of-asylum-applicants-920320.html

According to this article in the Irish Examiner Ireland has the lowest rate of asylum applications in Europe, only 15% of applications are rejected in comparison with over 60% in other countries. In fact only Austria, Germany and Sweden have a higher record of asylum applications than Ireland and look at the state of those countries now. Austria won't accept any more, the Swedes are the rape capital of the world and Merkel has admitted that multiculturalism has been a failure and simply doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭gw80

zapitastas wrote: »
    Are irexit still running the campaign from London after they were rumbled? Slightly embarrassing mistake to make

Wouldn't have a clue, why do you think I'd know?

gw80 wrote: »
    Wouldn't have a clue, why do you think I'd know?

Comments like
    gw80 wrote:

Comments like

So Odhinn, you think the way Europe handled the large influx of migrants and asylum seekers was done well, and the likes of Sweden, Germany, Italy etc are better now than before.

So Odhinn, you think the way Europe handled the large influx of migrants and asylum seekers was done well, and the likes of Sweden, Germany, Italy etc are better now than before.

I was explaining why somebody might think a certain poster would hold "'Irexit" views, so why are you trying to shoe horn your agenda driven posts into that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Brits out, everyone else in.

That's Sinn Fein & their lackey's like Nodin in a nutshell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement