Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tail docking

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Pye

LovelyTom wrote: »
    In my opinion dogs are naturally made to hunt so why would nature dictate that they have tails if they're a hindrence?

The answer to that is that nature didn't create dogs as they are today. Wolves are quite a different beast all together in nature and habit compared to today's working dogs.

However, I don't see aesthetics as a valid reason to trim an animals tail where as I can accept that in certain working breeds it could save a lot of discomfort during the animals working life.

My opinion on farmers docking cattle tails is that it is totally unnecessary and could give rise to other problems as westwicklow pointed out. I'd like to know why this is done although I've not often seen it myself being close to a lot of cattle farms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Pye wrote: »

My opinion on farmers docking cattle tails is that it is totally unnecessary and could give rise to other problems as westwicklow pointed out. I'd like to know why this is done although I've not often seen it myself being close to a lot of cattle farms.

Some farmers claim it's cleaner for milking cows to crop cow tails and to crip any remaining hair from what's left of the the remaining tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

Most Cocker Spaniels have their tails docked.
    I think it's because their tails (and the rest of their body) are very curly and easily become matted.
    It doesn't hurt them too much, it's just a little rubber ring around their tail when they are a few days old. All the breeding books seem to encourage it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

I think it's because their tails (and the rest of their body) are very curly and easily become matted.

Something that regular grooming should deal with more than adequately.
    It doesn't hurt them too much, it's just a little rubber ring around their tail when they are a few days old.

Maybe you could try a small rubber ring around some part of your anatomy & let us know if it hurts or not!
    All the breeding books seem to encourage it!

And therein lies the problem. On what grounds do the the breeding books advocate docking for cocker spaniels (of which breed I would imagine there is only a meagre handful of true working dogs in the country)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Drakmord wrote: »
    It doesn't hurt them too much, it's just a little rubber ring around their tail when they are a few days old. All the breeding books seem to encourage it!

Oh my God, are you for real? Putting a band on a defenceless animal's tail and cutting off the blood circulation until that piece of their body rots and drops off- you don't see the cruelty in that?? Because it might at some point get matted? What? Brushing the dog is impossible? Trimming the hair too tricky to work out?
    Seriously, that is right up there with the stupidest thing I've ever read on Boards. Drakmord go stick a band on your little toe and leave it on until it falls off and then come back to me, hey, I know it sounds crazy but you never know, it might prevent it from ever getting stubbed. And clearly doing something painful is the best way to prevent pain...oh no, wait, it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

LisaO wrote: »

And therein lies the problem. On what grounds do the the breeding books advocate docking for cocker spaniels (of which breed I would imagine there is only a meagre handful of true working dogs in the country)?

There's a whole 3 pages dedicated to it in the breeding book we have.
    Anyway there is no point arguing with a bunch of townies.
    So /thread for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

What I find particularly funny about this thread was that the OP ran scared after their first post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

There's a whole 3 pages dedicated to it in the breeding book we have.
    Anyway there is no point arguing with a bunch of townies.

I'm sure your "breeding book" devotes plenty of text to the promotion of tail docking but I would still be interested to hear the authors reasons why it is a positive for the breed. And how old would that book be?

I would imagine "bunch of townies" to be a sweeping assumption. I'm sure many of the posters on this thread are as "country" as you or I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

'Bunch of townies' * guffaws* I grew up on a farm. And this farmer's daughter doesn't need to read three whole pages in a 'breeding book' to know amputating the tails off pups for no good reason is stupid and cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 carmelod

im no townie lol!!
    tail docking in any animal is very painful research has shown. also dogs that have gone through this process are very likely to experience pain at some other stage in their lives.Its cutting through soft tissue, bone and cartilage....
    anyone see Jamie Oliver's doc on pig farming in UK where piglets are docked and desexed at 4 days old without any pain relief...they screamed and screamed. i have seen lambs getting this done with my own eyes too and its unforgettable. If you get one thing from this believe me to see it you know its painful by the reaction of the animal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

carmelod wrote: »
    im no townie lol!!
    tail docking in any animal is very painful research has shown. also dogs that have gone through this process are very likely to experience pain at some other stage in their lives.Its cutting through soft tissue, bone and cartilage....
    anyone see Jamie Oliver's doc on pig farming in UK where piglets are docked and desexed at 4 days old without any pain relief...they screamed and screamed. i have seen lambs getting this done with my own eyes too and its unforgettable. If you get one thing from this believe me to see it you know its painful by the reaction of the animal

9 times out of 10 sheep are ringed at a very young age. The tail just falls off.. I no its sore for a while. But its alot better than having magots ticks and other bugs and insects living on there rear end...Its not done for no reason....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 carmelod

I get what you are saying and wouldn't know enough to say which is less painful, the tail docking or the effects of not having it done. anyway my point is that why is it so that so many dogs have it done? I met a lady in the local park the other day and she had g pointer with full tail. she said she knew why people had them docked as she had been to the vet 2 times with her dog with injured tail. i asked how old the dog was and she told me he was 12!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tracey3

cloudy day wrote: »
    It's not illegal in Ireland. Most vets won't do it on grounds of morality, "mutilation for aesthetic reasons" is what they call it.

it is illegal in ireland i work in a vets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

tracey3 wrote: »
    it is illegal in ireland i work in a vets

It hasnt been made illegal yet, the vets have been instructed not to do it, but by law its not illegal yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

My springer doesnt have his tail docked and he is doing great and he is from a strong working background. He is hunting, in and out of bushes, playing in the garden and what not, not a bother on him.
    Do i agree with tail docking? no i dont but if you are then its your choice. Me, i rather see a dog as i think they are supposed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Tail docking is not illegal in south of ireland yet- although it is in enland and northern ireland. Working dogs can however have there tails docked only until 3 days old. in fairness i have seen pups that have had elastic bands tied arounf there tails and they get completly infected etc etc which would be very painfull. if people want tails docked i feel they should go to a qualified person a vet- however i feel all dogs should be left with a tail, that is the way they are born so does that not say something

Advertisement