Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chat 2020/21

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,164 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Regarding Antonio - is he not injured - came off at weekend with something - hamstring maybe?

Yeah he is a doubt with a hamstring problem. He’s currently being assessed by the medical team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12117396/frank-lampard-chelsea-manager-to-discuss-penalty-taker-options-after-jorginho-miss
    Frank Lampard: Chelsea manager to discuss penalty-taker options after Jorginho miss

Something to ponder for Jorginho owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Is it not a bit kneejerk to think he will be off penalties after hitting the post, it wasn't a bad penalty, he was just unlucky, and he was off the pitch when Werner took the next penalty.

It's possible that Werner may be 2nd in line... But there's no guarantee that jorginho will be a starter for the whole season

• Registered Users Posts: 5,708 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Is it not a bit kneejerk to think he will be off penalties after hitting the post, it wasn't a bad penalty, he was just unlucky, and he was off the pitch when Werner took the next penalty.

It's possible that Werner may be 2nd in line... But there's no guarantee that jorginho will be a starter for the whole season

Missed one against Liverpool as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Williams won't play against Westham I'm convinced of it ,

Pointless comparing the situation to Tuanzebe totally different moments in there careers
    Even Tuanzebe might struggle in the position Williams is being asked to play , United played 3 CB and the wing back was AWB who's know for defending so Tuanzebe had plenty of quality around him ,

Williams will be right of 2 CB's and his right back Trent will be much further forward,

Liverpool will have to look to see who in there squad will cope best with strong counter attack runs in that channel and play whoever fits the bill , Could be Hendo or could even be Gini ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,778 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Williams won't play against Westham I'm convinced of it ,

Pointless comparing the situation to Tuanzebe totally different moments in there careers
    Even Tuanzebe might struggle in the position Williams is being asked to play , United played 3 CB and the wing back was AWB who's know for defending so Tuanzebe had plenty of quality around him ,

Williams will be right of 2 CB's and his right back Trent will be much further forward,

Liverpool will have to look to see who in there squad will cope best with strong counter attack runs in that channel and play whoever fits the bill , Could be Hendo or could even be Gini ,

Well the simple question is why don't Liverpool have a player at the same moment in their career as Tuanzebe, or an experienced centre back on the bench. It's not as if Klopp took over the squad this season and hasn't had time to get back up if he doesn't believe the youth are ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Well the simple question is why don't Liverpool have a player at the same moment in their career as Tuanzebe, or an experienced centre back on the bench. It's not as if Klopp took over the squad this season and hasn't had time to get back up if he doesn't believe the youth are ready yet.

He already addressed that issue in the media. He said he doesn't want 4 established centre backs as its a position in which he rarely rotates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

short answer:
    Joe Gomez is only 6 months older than Tuanzebe.

long answer:

Some would argue that the first choice CB pairing for Liverpool is VVD-Matip with Gomez as 3rd choice. Pre-season, that's an brilliant set of CBs to have, primarily because of VVD and also his durability. He hadn't missed a league game in 3 seasons. If Matip is injured, then Gomez plays. Gomez-VVD is still a top class CB pairing. And then if both are injured, then Fabinho can fill in for the odd game. As it would take a real crisis for 2 CBs to be injured together but VVD is able to pick up the slack.

Clubs don't generally have more than one CB of that kind of age group (21-23) anyways as CBs don't generally be rotated every league games. 3 players into 2 positions usually. A senior CB and then one more, and then one in the 21-23 age group. Rarely clubs will rotate 4 CBs in a season. Each of the top 6 do have players in this age 21-23 group, but the experience of each of the players varies; Liverpool (Gomez 23), Man City (Dias 23), Spurs (Rodon 23), Chelsea (Tomori 22), Man Utd (Tuanzebe 22), Arsenal (Gabriel 22)

Liverpool already had VVD who plays every league game when fit. That leaves one CB slot available and between Gomez & Matip (previously Lovren & Klavan also) to battle it out between. Having another player of lesser experience but with some experience would be ideal but the new player would be 4th in line and chances of playing would be very low. That is why Fabinho was chosen to be 4th choice and to help squad harmony. Liverpool are not the type of club to just stock pile defenders like other clubs have done in the way of Rojo, Jones, Rudiger, Stones and not play them. One game every 5 months, unless there are injuries. It's not economical.

The main reason why this question is being asked is because of an unforeseen injury crisis. Nobody can predict that 3 central defence options will all be injured at the same time, especially given the fitness record of VVD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It's well documented Jurgen likes to work with a smaller squad Pep Lijnders has been vocal about this in the past, he likes to guys in the squad to know they are always only one game away from a start ( because of injury or suspension ) he believes it keeps them more together and means they can not get comfortable , He thinks it makes them more of a team, he did this at Dortmund to

So when they sold Lovren & Thaigo came in they decided Fabhino would be 4th choice CB ,because we had so many midfielders it meant if we lost a CB Fab could go in there and someone else would get a chance in midfield, Keeping players happy,

United have a bloated squad with players picking up wages who probably never play like Rojo , Romero and so on something Liverpool want to avoid,

Tunazebe is only 6 months younger than Joe Gomez, So Joe is our Axel ,

Lets not forget Tunazebe has only 10 prem games to his name , I'd say the closet to him in the Liverpool squad in terms of development is Nat Phillips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Is this the Liverpool thread or Fantasy Football :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

If I have 2 free transfers and don't use any will I still have 2 next week? Just burn the one transfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If I have 2 free transfers and don't use any will I still have 2 next week? Just burn the one transfer?

Yes you will still have two transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

4pm Friday deadline for GW8 (next week).

That will have a fair few casualties!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Shedite27 wrote: »
    4pm Friday deadline for GW8 (next week).

That will have a fair few casualties!

That will definitely catch a few!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

These four day gameweeks are great craic said no one ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I miss the 3pm games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Cartman78 wrote: »
    These four day gameweeks are great craic said no one ever
    Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I miss the 3pm games

Tbh I like it. I get to watch more football and I get to see more players if they pass the eye test.

If anything it's easier(Assuming you get to see the games)

Tbh I like it. I get to watch more football and I get to see more players if they pass the eye test.

If anything it's easier(Assuming you get to see the games)

I do think it is a little easier right but deffo less fun. Like even without watching all. The games I pay attention to them singularly so it is making things clearer for me.

I always try to catch my attacking players. So if I can I will be trying for ones in more attacking teams if possible. So that'll be no woods or Wilsons for me this year hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

I do think it is a little easier right but deffo less fun. Like even without watching all. The games I pay attention to them singularly so it is making things clearer for me.

I always try to catch my attacking players. So if I can I will be trying for ones in more attacking teams if possible. So that'll be no woods or Wilsons for me this year hopefully

It’s gonna be very hard to see it going back to normal times.

To be honest the Saturday & Sunday night games are golden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,778 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Chesty08 wrote: »
    It’s gonna be very hard to see it going back to normal times.

To be honest the Saturday & Sunday night games are golden.

Not sure if it's set but for GW9 there are 6 games listed as Saturday 3pm kick off - no idea if that is subject to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Not sure if it's set but for GW9 there are 6 games listed as Saturday 3pm kick off - no idea if that is subject to change?

They're not set and it makes it really hard to play the sky game this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭Shedite27

All the 3pm games get rejigged 10 days out. They just moved GW8 games yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hopefully a few people don’t realise the deadline was this evening :)

Although the reality is most people will likely automatically have likes of Salah or Kane down as Captain anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

xG prevented is an attempt to judge goals conceded versus xG on target conceded.

xG on target tries to expand on the usual xG stat by including how well the shot was taken as opposed to just where it came from.

There are only 4 keepers in positive territory for this so far this season.

1.8 Martinez
    0.8 Mendy
    0.3 Darlow
    0.3 Ederson

Martinez has played a big role in Villa's defence. Will he keep this up?

The worst 5 according to the stat.

-4.5 Ryan
    -3.0 Adrian
    -2.9 Pickford
    -2.7 McCarthy
    -2.6 Patricio

Adrian and Pickford speak for themselves.

Has Ryan been considered out of form? If so better performances might improve Brighton's defensive stats.

Also surprised to see McCarthy and Patricio there. Have their defenses been covering them up a bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

dsmythy wrote: »
    xG prevented is an attempt to judge goals conceded versus xG on target conceded.

xG on target tries to expand on the usual xG stat by including how well the shot was taken as opposed to just where it came from.

There are only 4 keepers in positive territory for this so far this season.

1.8 Martinez
    0.8 Mendy
    0.3 Darlow
    0.3 Ederson

Martinez has played a big role in Villa's defence. Will he keep this up?

The worst 5 according to the stat.

-4.5 Ryan
    -3.0 Adrian
    -2.9 Pickford
    -2.7 McCarthy
    -2.6 Patricio

Adrian and Pickford speak for themselves.

Has Ryan been considered out of form? If so better performances might improve Brighton's defensive stats.

Also surprised to see McCarthy and Patricio there. Have their defenses been covering them up a bit?

Concede 12 of 18 shots I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Hopefully a few people don’t realise the deadline was this evening :)

Although the reality is most people will likely automatically have likes of Salah or Kane down as Captain anyway.

I knew the deadline but still missed it, more due to losing track of time carving pumpkins for Halloween with my nieces :(

Was grand that I had Son set as captain, but I had 2FTs so I've effectively lost one. And it would have been really handy as I've a few players I'd like to have got in. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Big Borg

Does anyone know why Saiss (Wolves) didn't play yesterday?

Big Borg wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Saiss (Wolves) didn't play yesterday?

Kilman preferred in defence. New guy took the wing back role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Anyone who had the Brighton goalkeeper coverage was somewhat screwed yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Have most of the big hitters......Salah,Grealish,Zaha,Son,Kane,DCL.

Am half thinking of going for Zaha (away to a leaky Leeds defence) or Son (Away to West Brom) as my Captain pick to try and get a differential boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Don't think Son will be a differential, I'd assume he'll be the most captained this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Don't think Son will be a differential, I'd assume he'll be the most captained this week

Think Kane might win that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Think you'd have to go Werner or someone on Chelsea if you wanted to get a differential cap this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Have most of the big hitters......Salah,Grealish,Zaha,Son,Kane,DCL.

Am half thinking of going for Zaha (away to a leaky Leeds defence) or Son (Away to West Brom) as my Captain pick to try and get a differential boost.

I hope you're in the last man standing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What do we reckon the over/under will be on how many ‘stop the count jokes’ will be made when someone is having a good week?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

The template midfield (that I have) seems to consist of Salah, son, hamez and Grealish/Zaha.

I want (And assume most will) Kdb or sterling in two gws for their excellent run of fixtures. For me Salah is untouchable so who do you upgrade to Kdb/sterling?

Son and keep Kane up top? Or downgrade Kane and upgrade hamez or grealish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,083 ✭✭✭Chesty08

joeyboy11 wrote: »
    The template midfield (that I have) seems to consist of Salah, son, hamez and Grealish/Zaha.

I want (And assume most will) Kdb or sterling in two gws for their excellent run of fixtures. For me Salah is untouchable so who do you upgrade to Kdb/sterling?

It would have to be Son. You’d have to think Kane will outscore Son over the course of the season so will naturally see more goals trending towards him soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Darksoul

joeyboy11 wrote: »

Depends on your team forwards you have up front, do you have 2 premium strikers or 3 good strikers.

Me personally I would do a straight swap Son for KDB - that way you have 2 penalty takers for Spurs and City, providing you have money in the bank.

I think downgrading James Rodriguez might be a safe option to downgrade out of the midfield you have because I own him and it's frustrating enough not knowing if he will play or not and a bit glassy but he does return good points.

Let's see how he gets on if he plays Man utd first though,and don't forget international matches and possible covid cases etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

Darksoul wrote: »
    Depends on your team forwards you have up front, do you have 2 premium strikers or 3 good strikers.

Me personally I would do a straight swap Son for KDB - that way you have 2 penalty takers for Spurs and City, providing you have money in the bank.

I think downgrading James Rodriguez might be a safe option to downgrade out of the midfield you have because I own him and it's frustrating enough not knowing if he will play or not and a bit glassy but he does return good points.

Let's see how he gets on if he plays Man utd first though,and don't forget international matches and possible covid cases etc...

Yea I think you’re right, my initial instinct was to upgrade son to Kdb and anything else is probably overthinking it.
    I’m happy to hold Kane, dcl and Bamford up top for a while.

Good points re hamez. It will be very interesting to see if and how he plays against united this weekend.

Re the international break I’m banking this week so that I’ll have two free transfers after going into gw 9.

PSA: deadline at 4 today ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

PSA: deadline at 4 today ;)

ssshhhh :mad:

Just thought I'd throw up the top 10 uninjured players in the expected goal on target (post shot) stat. As before this tries to take into account the quality of the shots taken rather than solely where the shot was taken from. Shouldn't be used as anything other than another guide.

This list doesnt include penalties so open play and set pieces only. You know who has the extra chances from penalties not included here.

It is from each players' previous 6 games in the premier league.

5.13 Son
    4.99 Bamford
    4.80 DCL
    4.14 Mane
    3.68 Lacazette
    3.65 Kane
    3.18 Werner
    3.05 Watkins
    2.87 Maupay
    2.73 H.Barnes

Salah is just outside the 10. Being on penalties seems to have been important to both him and Kane.

Lamptey or KWP this week?

dsmythy wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw up the top 10 uninjured players in the expected goal on target (post shot) stat. As before this tries to take into account the quality of the shots taken rather than solely where the shot was taken from. Shouldn't be used as anything other than another guide.

This list doesnt include penalties so open play and set pieces only. You know who has the extra chances from penalties not included here.

It is from each players' previous 6 games in the premier league.

5.13 Son
    4.99 Bamford
    4.80 DCL
    4.14 Mane
    3.68 Lacazette
    3.65 Kane
    3.18 Werner
    3.05 Watkins
    2.87 Maupay
    2.73 H.Barnes

Salah is just outside the 10. Being on penalties seems to have been important to both him and Kane.

nice where did you access them stats?

• Advertisement

Lamptey or KWP this week?

I'd go Lamptey if he was fit but I'm not sure if there was any update on his injury

I'd go Lamptey if he was fit but I'm not sure if there was any update on his injury

Ya I hadnt seen anything so not sure, still flagged yellow

nice where did you access them stats?

They're from Opta. Accessed via FFS membership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Ya I hadnt seen anything so not sure, still flagged yellow

He's almost certainly going to be playing.
    Definitely be going with Lamptey over KWP

Lamptey would be far more entertaining at least. Could be anything. Had same decision and went with him presuming he plays at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement