Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government to discuss right to protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Acosta

mulbot wrote: »
    Again, there were 3 protests Saturday. Try not to mix up what happened in that twitter clip, with the other 2 protests which were peaceful and without incident.

I don't think I did. I was only referring to the rally were the violence accured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

It's very telling that users on this forum regularly condemn protestors over the years such as the housing protests, the student protests, the legalise cannabis protests and so many more.

It's scary that there are so many people on this forum willing to defend fascists such as the gemma crowd.

The vast majority of you wouldnt stand up and protest yourself but the minute the anti-mask plandemic díckheads go ape**** in dublin and start assaulting people you're up in arms defending their right to protest?

They should be ****ing ran out of Dublin and out of this country.

You're an absolute disgrace if you defend these disgusting anti-mask cretins.

Crossposting this from the Ireland reddit.

I mentioned this in a previous post but these patriot groups try to appear as grassroots movements, they're are a lot more organised than people think.

They have people dedicated to making their protest footage go viral, utilising sizeable social media influencers amongst them to push them out even further.

Síol na hÉireann, leading the protest with the Yellow Vests in particular are hooked up with British loyalists and UK far right figures to manipulate Irish people across the country into supporting them.

Here's Síol na hÉireann's "founder" Niall McConnell hanging out with Nick Griffin & Jim Dowson.

Niall is the same fella who was abusing the Ballyhaunis priest a few weeks back.

Niall at an event with Nick and another pic

Grand Torino, Irish Freedom Party's Herman Kelly & Jim Dowson. Jim is involved with Northern Ireland & Scottish protests, Dolores Cahill is part of the Irish Freedom Party and has been doing the rounds at Scottish anti-mask protests like Edinburgh two weeks ago.

Britain First patriot at a Belfast protest who was arrested later that day for hatred speech............at a later date he's protesting with Gemma outside Google.

Britain First's founder and main funder was Jim Dowson.

John Waters treating Nigel Farage like a God when he came here to whip people up into an anti-EU frenzy.

These British agitators are even posing as Irish patriots and heavily promote Irish personalities while it's English counterpart sites do the exact same for English personalities.

Irish "patriots" joining forces with people with known anti-Irish sentiments to work out how to manipulate and mobilise Irish people against each other.
    Collins would be proud of these patriots......

Cop the fúck on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Acosta

sabat wrote: »
    So the video is fake yeah? Is that what you're saying?

I was pointing out the type of person who is posting that and other clips of the same incident for either their own entertainment, to goad or to suggest the woman somehow faked something that she went to hospital for and later showed detailed pictures of.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I went to a protest to save the Sea Trout and ban fish farms that's about as much SJW I ever went...

Didn't dye the hair purple or look angry or anything although I wore a Barbour jacket, would that be militant enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Síol na hÉireann ?

An organisation so powerful, influential and dangerous that I have never heard of it before.

Stop amplifying these loopers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

They're not being "amplified" by having their actions reported on, it's because they've been ignored that they've festered so much. Even on this forum, you've plenty of useful idiots falling over themselves to excuse and justify everything they do. Social media is what's allowed this lot to "amplify" their words. Where once they were isolated tools, now they're growing in number and those in charge have cowardly washed their hands of any responsibility regarding it.

Ah well, it's only a matter of time before we have our own Cable Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Why is it the people who shout racist, far right etc all possess a frail or obese body, usually depend on government support, are weak, vegan, feminist etc.

There is a commonality, my money is on low or next to non existent testosterone.

Low-T "men" are easier to control.

'People who believe in equality and freedom to protest but for things I disagree with, be fat' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Traficante

If they don't want to see protests they would want to leave this one alone. It seems to me around the world Covid is being used as an excuse to curtail all sorts of accepted social avenues of protest. Then these so called temporary laws are left in place, don't be fooled.

Why is it the people who shout racist, far right etc all possess a frail or obese body, usually depend on government support, are weak, vegan, feminist etc.

There is a commonality, my money is on low or next to non existent testosterone.

This is some incel alt-right speak right here. Imagine unironically spouting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

sweet_trip wrote: »
    It's very telling that users on this forum regularly condemn protestors over the years such as the housing protests, the student protests, the legalise cannabis protests and so many more.

It's scary that there are so many people on this forum willing to defend fascists such as the gemma crowd.

The vast majority of you wouldnt stand up and protest yourself but the minute the anti-mask plandemic díckheads go ape**** in dublin and start assaulting people you're up in arms defending their right to protest?

Cop the fúck on.

You have got this so completely utterly wrong it's embarrassing.

The protest was an anti-mask protest first of all, and that's all.

The only legitimate reason to counter protest is in support of mask wearing, which is actually the case already legally, so even that reason doesn't make any sense.

The reason the counter-protesters were there was not in support of mask-wearing; they were there because they identified the participates in the protest as their enemies as they have had interactions with them before. They know them personally.

So it's more like a 'fued' than anything else. It's personal with them.

And you are making this personal as well with your 'I can't believe you're all supporting fascists here' nonsense. I know absolutely noting about the individuals that attended the protests, their names, their political inclinations, like the counter protesters do.

So no one here is supporting fascists, and even if they were all fascists, they weren't protesting for fascists beliefs, so it's entirely irrelevant if they are.

Quite frankly I think your being extremely childish and intentionally divisive.

Like the counter-protesters your looking to get involved in a fued and you better watch out because you might get one, metaphorically speaking of course.

• Advertisement

AllForIt wrote: »
    You have got this so completely utterly wrong it's embarrassing.

The protest was an anti-mask protest first of all, and that's all.

The only legitimate reason to counter protest is in support of mask wearing, which is actually the case already legally, so even that reason doesn't make any sense.

The reason the counter-protesters were there was not in support of mask-wearing; they were there because they identified the participates in the protest as their enemies as they have had interactions with them before. They know them personally.

So it's more like a 'fued' than anything else. It's personal with them.

And you are making this personal as well with your 'I can't believe you're all supporting fascists here' nonsense. I know absolutely noting about the individuals that attended the protests, their names, their political inclinations, like the counter protesters do.

So no one here is supporting fascists, and even if they were all fascists, they weren't protesting for fascists beliefs, so it's entirely irrelevant if they are.

Quite frankly I think your being extremely childish and intentionally divisive.

Like the counter-protesters your looking to get involved in a fued and you better watch out because you might get one, metaphorically speaking of course.

No. This protest was far more than just an anti-mask protest. These people are involved in a lot of very dangerous ideologies, there's a crossover between QA anon cultists, the globalist conspiracy theorists, the gemma o'doherty crowd and many more very dangerous people.

If you know nothing about the people who attended and organised the protest then what are you ranting on about? You just admitted you know nothing.

It's a good thing people have done research and have named all of the above people which are listed in my original post. Now you know who you're dealing with.
    Like the counter-protesters your looking to get involved in a fued and you better watch out because you might get one

You mean like the dozens of hard-men wearing balaclava's that squared up and started beating the ****e out of people? It wasn't just the counter protestors targeted, it was anybody who was in the vicinity who merely looked like they didn't agree with their psychopathic parade.

Nice threat btw.

Here's another post from somebody who was at the protest.
    happened across there protect outside the Dail on saturday, I was filming a couple meters back to obviously and was approached by 6 guys, black workpants and boots (spotless btw), green hoodies, neck balaclava and a pretty close haircut all over. They all wore the same uniform and slowly came over. I was asked what I was doing and whether I agreed on what was being said, The look in there eyes told me to be very careful on what i said or face my phone being smashed.

Stop being an apologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

This is ridiculous. Ireland has no history of racial superiority nor with the subjugation of other people under the guise of nationalism.

Except when the British Nationalists used to own and run everything. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

sweet_trip wrote: »

Cop the fúck on.

Yep its well known at this point. The so-called 'PATRIOTS' are very blatantly British or American wingnuts. I wish the IRA would come back and get rid of them.

Except when the British Nationalists used to own and run everything. ;)

Relevance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Relevance?

Just a comment, don't take it to heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The simple truth is that while we have the right to protest it should be done so for genuine causes and be purely peaceful. No-one would truly wish that right to be limited unless absolutely necessary but we also have to face some truths: There are those that ABUSE that right as well to push malignant agendas and are out there to harm society for the benefit of a few bad actors.

Take the Debenham's or the anti-racist protestors for example: they only want to highlight genuine grievances and wrong's in a purely peaceful fashion. They mean no harm to anyone and their right to protest in a peaceful and safe manor should be absolutely protected. None of these wish actual harm they only wish for wrongs they see to be highlighted.

Contrast this with the other group, the ratlickers and conspiracy junkies: These aren't purely peaceful protestors, these are malicious agitators, troublemakers and with some of them they're the same as football hooligans, they're out to cause harm, want to do whatever they like and ignore all precautions either because they're unable to accept the current reality this damn virus has inflicted or simply refuse to care about anyone but themselves. Worse some of those who are leading this and sucking people in online are doing so for their own self gain and enrichment, they're thick idiots at best and malicious shítstirrers at worst. They deny reality and promote an agenda of outright lies and non-existant conspiracies purely out of spite and a hatred for reality around them.

Some might think that it's wrong to restrict the right to protest but understand that right shouldn't be abused either by blatant bad actors who have no true agenda except one of lies and delusional conspiracies. You only have to look at the damage these terminally stupid ratlickers have caused in the states for example, or look at the fact the ones in Germany tried storming the Reichstag, the last time something like that happend was when the Nazi's rose to power. Let's not also forget the ones who are out to intimidate other people who despise those of us who see through this bullshít and reject it outright. The same ones who shout "pedo" to silence others which is disgusting in of itself.

Let's also remember that in other countries they have grown to a level where they've become a significant problem, their numbers are much smaller here but these operate by sucking in others with lies online and target the vulnerable to exploit. I honestly think we need to see action on actors like O'Doherty who are perpetuating this, we got strong ligation laws against those who publish articles to defame other's I dont see why we can't do the same for those who are publishing blatant lies and conspiracies with intent to trigger confrontations and civil disorder for their own benefit (The fact that they're being financed from overseas donations from the likes of America should be investigated too). At the same time they need to throw the book at those organising these ratlicker protests in complete disregard for the health and safety of others, fine them and if necessary imprison them like they did in Australia with that muppet who was arrested for organising the same thing.

We have enough problems thanks to this virus, people are dying from it, Dublin is facing another lockdown down the line due to rising numbers of covid cases, we're all stressed and sick of the whole thing and we could be looking at another year of this before it finally burns out, the last thing any of need is for malicious shíte's like O'Doherty and co stirring up unrest and potentially riots in pursuit of their malignent agenda, if the right to protest is restricted it's exactly because of the likes of them abusing that right to push lies and help spread this damn virus, potentially killing others as collateral damage and infecting other innocent people and leaving them suffering the after effects for potentially months. If some of you there seem to believe in the right to protest then make sure that right is not abused OR exploited and dont tolerate those who abuse it for malicious purposes, holding the state to account is increcibly important but so is holding those to account who wish harm to the state and it's citizens. Don't defend those who would undermine society for the benefit of delusional or malicious actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

Not that it matters, but I'm willing to bet 1000 euro that I'm better looking, stronger, fitter, earn more, and have much more fight experience and would completely destroy you in any fight, if you're willing to take me up on the offer.
    Send me a PM and we'll arrange it. Can even make it into a youtube event, with sponsors. You'll have to send me a PM though because I can't be arsed keeping up with these threads. If you don't send me one by the end of this week I'll assume you're too chicken.

I'm also smarter than you, since you think winning a fight is the same as winning an argument. If you want to fight then you should join the local martial arts competition of your choice, or set up a professional fight, rather than trying to pick on people who aren't even competing.

[edit: just saw your post history, and had to laugh... you're looking for a hair transplant lol, so let's add "I have better hair than you" to the list above, cheers. If we do a professional fight, we can call it "Beauty and the Beast" lol]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The FNG wrote: »
    White men who go around denouncing other white men as “fascists” are wimpy losers who think they’ll attract women with suck-up speeches about racism. But even stupid left-wing girls prefer alpha males. Sissy boys should drop the left-wing politics and try lifting weights and making money. Freud was a fool and reductionist, but sexual strategizing by losers is the source of nearly all left-wing ideology.

Have you not got school tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭yoke

White men who go around denouncing other white men as “fascists” are wimpy losers who think they’ll attract women with suck-up speeches about racism. But even stupid left-wing girls prefer alpha males. Sissy boys should drop the left-wing politics and try lifting weights and making money. Freud was a fool and reductionist, but sexual strategizing by losers is the source of nearly all left-wing ideology.

If you think everyone is a sissy, why don't you go to a professional fight and challenge people there, tell them you lift weights so you're a good fighter bruh, don't worry about movement or kickboxing or wrestling, you'll lift yourself into victory!

Incidentally I know loads of very nice people who lift weights, interestingly none of them are wannkers like yourself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Infini wrote: »
    The simple truth is that while we have the right to protest it should be done so for genuine causes and be purely peaceful. No-one would truly wish that right to be limited unless absolutely necessary but we also have to face some truths: There are those that ABUSE that right as well to push malignant agendas and are out there to harm society for the benefit of a few bad actors.

Take the Debenham's or the anti-racist protestors for example: they only want to highlight genuine grievances and wrong's in a purely peaceful fashion. They mean no harm to anyone and their right to protest in a peaceful and safe manor should be absolutely protected. None of these wish actual harm they only wish for wrongs they see to be highlighted.

Contrast this with the other group, the ratlickers and conspiracy junkies: These aren't purely peaceful protestors, these are malicious agitators, troublemakers and with some of them they're the same as football hooligans, they're out to cause harm, want to do whatever they like and ignore all precautions either because they're unable to accept the current reality this damn virus has inflicted or simply refuse to care about anyone but themselves. Worse some of those who are leading this and sucking people in online are doing so for their own self gain and enrichment, they're thick idiots at best and malicious shítstirrers at worst. They deny reality and promote an agenda of outright lies and non-existant conspiracies purely out of spite and a hatred for reality around them.

Some might think that it's wrong to restrict the right to protest but understand that right shouldn't be abused either by blatant bad actors who have no true agenda except one of lies and delusional conspiracies. You only have to look at the damage these terminally stupid ratlickers have caused in the states for example, or look at the fact the ones in Germany tried storming the Reichstag, the last time something like that happend was when the Nazi's rose to power. Let's not also forget the ones who are out to intimidate other people who despise those of us who see through this bullshít and reject it outright. The same ones who shout "pedo" to silence others which is disgusting in of itself.

Let's also remember that in other countries they have grown to a level where they've become a significant problem, their numbers are much smaller here but these operate by sucking in others with lies online and target the vulnerable to exploit. I honestly think we need to see action on actors like O'Doherty who are perpetuating this, we got strong ligation laws against those who publish articles to defame other's I dont see why we can't do the same for those who are publishing blatant lies and conspiracies with intent to trigger confrontations and civil disorder for their own benefit (The fact that they're being financed from overseas donations from the likes of America should be investigated too). At the same time they need to throw the book at those organising these ratlicker protests in complete disregard for the health and safety of others, fine them and if necessary imprison them like they did in Australia with that muppet who was arrested for organising the same thing.

We have enough problems thanks to this virus, people are dying from it, Dublin is facing another lockdown down the line due to rising numbers of covid cases, we're all stressed and sick of the whole thing and we could be looking at another year of this before it finally burns out, the last thing any of need is for malicious shíte's like O'Doherty and co stirring up unrest and potentially riots in pursuit of their malignent agenda, if the right to protest is restricted it's exactly because of the likes of them abusing that right to push lies and help spread this damn virus, potentially killing others as collateral damage and infecting other innocent people and leaving them suffering the after effects for potentially months. If some of you there seem to believe in the right to protest then make sure that right is not abused OR exploited and dont tolerate those who abuse it for malicious purposes, holding the state to account is increcibly important but so is holding those to account who wish harm to the state and it's citizens. Don't defend those who would undermine society for the benefit of delusional or malicious actors.

So to summarise: Protest is ok as long as its about something I agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Reads Like a politburo press release circa 1972

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

It''s hilarious watching them trying to intellectualize their authoritarianism. No matter how they dress it up, the outcome is the same. They want views to be suppressed that they don't like. If these types were as smart as they thought they were, they'd know where this road leads.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

If these people got their wish , people would be prosecuted for everything from opposing a halting site next door to expressing reservations about the legitimacy of asylum applicants or the new sex education school curriculum

Everything deemed to fail the progressive smell test is labelled fascist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

TomTomTim wrote: »
    It''s hilarious watching them trying to intellectualize their authoritarianism. No matter how they dress it up, the outcome is the same. They want views to be suppressed that they don't like. If these types were as smart as they thought they were, they'd know where this road leads.

It's almost as hillarious as watching a bunch of lefties side with governments and multi-national corporations to demand sweeping Orwellian powers that they somehow imagine won't apply or be enacted againt them.

They think they hold enough institutional power that these laws will merely allow them to silence people they don't like, but they're in for a shock.

As soon the Democrats saw that the riots in the US were bad for their polling numbers, suddenly Antifa started getting lifted off the streets and banned by companies like T-Spring while (and this is very scary) payment processors started cancelling their e-begging accounts and financially unpersoning them.

It would almost be worth letting them have their dystopia just to see the Surprised Pikachu look on their faces when they get gulaged by the same laws they demanded in the first place.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Reads Like a politburo press release circa 1972

In Summary: You both lack coherent thought and reasoning and are completely thick muppets for not being capable of knowing the difference between a real protest and a glorified group of football hooligans.

Your the reason people cant have nice things! :P

If this was happening during normal times it would be a different story entirely, this isnt normal times its a pandemic and they're pushing views that can lead to people being killed as collateral damage. One has to question do some really think the right to protest is so absolute that it trumps the value of peoples lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

In Summary: You both lack coherent thought and reasoning and are completely thick muppets for not being capable of knowing the difference between a real protest and a glorified group of football hooligans.

One individual hit that woman with a plank. Up to 1000 attendees behaved themselves and exercised their constitutional right to peacefully protest.

"Real protest " ie things I agree with
    You don't get to make that call. Your opinion doesn't supersede the constitution!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Simple fact is, if you restrict the right to protest because of violent protestors - then you're only going to have the organised violent protestors left, because the guards are useless and would easily be overwhelmed by them - they can't even stop a bunch of teenagers from rallying and burning out cars routinely, they just sit and watch like useless fuckwits.

All of the peaceful protestors will be driven away by the guards, leaving only the violent protestors.

Remember that to governments that pursue NeoLiberal policies that worsen wealth/income inequaltiy - ceding power to fascists is far more preferable to those advocating left-leaning economics - and the police will protect fascists, and discriminate against more peaceful left-leaning advocates instead.

That's what we're already seeing elsewhere in the western world. That's how it went in the 1930's. That's what we're going to see here, if we allow any erosion of the right to protest.

If this was happening during normal times it would be a different story entirely, this isnt normal times its a pandemic and they're pushing views that can lead to people being killed as collateral damage. One has to question do some really think the right to protest is so absolute that it trumps the value of peoples lives.

i dont agree with the anti maskers , i wear a mask

nor do i agree with portraying anti maskers as being " far right " , there may be a handful of genuine far right agitators present but those people could just as easily attend a protest over the closing down of a community hall

what makes someone " far right " anyway ?

i dont believe im better than someone of a different race or creed , i dont refuse to allow african or asian doctors or nurses treat me in hospital , nor would i refuse to accept a tenant who was asian or african , i would refuse to accept a traveller as a tenant in a house however , i would vote in favour of euthenasia , i didnt vote on the abortion referendum as i nobody answered the questions i had but im not " pro life " in so far as being opposed to abortion full stop , im ok with gay marriage but didnt care enough to vote on it , i oppose adoption for same sex parents , am i " far right " ? , ive different views on different things , the right view the far left as merely stupid , the far left however view the right as cartoon evil

what is far right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭bloopy

It is disturbing how easily people can be lead down that road.

• Advertisement

I agre, and I don't support the covid protesters, but I don't think the government can crack down on them when they allowed the blm protests go ahead.

To be fair I only know of 2 BLM protests and thats all its been thankfully, the demonstrations even tho they wanted to highlight a legitimate grievance werent really appropiate considering the circumstances but were purely peaceful and without intimidation. The ratlickers on the otherhand are perisisting with no end in sight and only seem to be getting more agressive and intimidating.
    bloopy wrote: »
    It is disturbing how easily people can be lead down that road.

What's just as disturbing is how those will rationalise any sort of context for any sort of demonstration regardess of the current circumstances or regardless of the true harm they want to cause. They also forget history in that the Nazis for example were groups like these until they too off and grew beyond control and we saw what happened there.

There should always be room for legitimate grievances but the rise of social media has amplified the worst attributes of society as a whole expecially since the rise of Trump. Lack of balance and reasoning is just as dangerous.

Advertisement