Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrambler bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

They should be confiscated and crushed.

And what should they do with the bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,975 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The scrambler this morning is a boy of I would guess about 10 and his little sister holding onto him I'd say roughly 8yo roaring up a busy road with no helmets...I don't know if I would classify them as motocross fans...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

pablo128 wrote: »
    Honestly by the cut of him I'd say it was the father showing off to the kid. This wasn't up the back of an estate either. Out on a main road.

Did he hold it for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

As an adult, they're something on which you hope the little rats break their necks but you'd have secretly loved to run amok on one as a kid.

Natural order of things really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Tippsman

Yer al jus jelous ye dint gt 1 as baby goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

aaakev wrote: »
    Did he hold it for long?

No, just clutched it up in 2nd for a couple of seconds. Nothing impressive to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

As an adult, they're something on which you hope the little rats break their necks but you'd have secretly loved to run amok on one as a kid.

Natural order of things really.

I'd have loved one as a child. As would a lot of us posting today. But the children are not buying them themselves, the parents, who should know better, are going out and buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How much do these things cost? Can't be cheap and yet it's always those who claim to be most deprived most likely to have them.

Nice to see the dole being spent on more then cans & paddypower roulette and bingo though 🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

guyfo wrote: »
    Seriously? It puts off prospective new competitors.... Come on lad your not that thick

Interesting line of reasoning..

Sure why not encourage the next generation of rally drivers to take to the road at 12 years old then!?

Easy to get your hands on a banger for three figures.. possibly cheaper than a scrambler.

Let em at. As you say putting an end to it would be an direct attack on Motorsport.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I saw 3 lads about 10 or 11 doing about 50kmh on one (no helmets obviously) on Ballybough Rd a while back-going past the makeshift memorial to some 18 year old who killed himself on Christmas Day with his brand new scrambler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Tippsman

eviltwin wrote: »
    How much do these things cost? Can't be cheap and yet it's always those who claim to be most deprived most likely to have them.

Cheap
    https://m.alibaba.com/amp/product/60743189535.html
    Expensive
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/yz-125-scrambler/23641754

E100 to E2000

Depends on child's age height and driving ability, as to type and quality to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Haven’t heard a single one around here yet this year.

Maybe all the little bollixes were naughty this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Definitely quieter this year, but still, the Gardai and local Councillors/TD's know about this, they know what happens on christmas with scramblers, and still no plan was put in place, one of the little scrotebags was killed recently after colliding with a vehicle, can only hope the bodycount mounts for them going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

In limerick for Xmas and met a gang of people on scramblers and quads cutting across O’Connell St going the wrong way down one way streets. Lovely sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

can only hope the bodycount mounts for them going forward.

What a scummy, scummy scumbag thing to say.

I'd actually prefer a country populated by scrotes driving illegally on scramblers than the likes of people who make statements wishing for the deaths of children.

I'd actually prefer a country populated by scrotes driving illegally on scramblers than the likes of people who make statements wishing for the deaths of children.

You don't have to live in these areas, these "children" are feral, not much better than animals.

You don't have to live in these areas, these "children" are feral, not much better than animals.

You have no idea where I live.

People with attitudes like yours are the lowest we have in society.

Thankfully, it is mostly confined to online edgelords who would never air these childish, moronic ideas in public - except to their childish, moronic friends, assuming they have any.

You have no idea where I live.

People with attitudes like yours are the lowest we have in society.

Thankfully, it is mostly confined to online edgelords who would never air these childish, moronic ideas in public - except to their childish, moronic friends, assuming they have any.

I work, I pay taxes, I follow the laws of this country, you either have a horse in this race, or you're just detached from the reality of the culture that surrounds these scumbags, either way I've said my piece, your opinion counts little or nothing to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I work, I pay taxes, I follow the laws of this country, you either have a horse in this race, or you're just detached from the reality of the culture that surrounds these scumbags, either way I've said my piece, your opinion counts little or nothing to me.

Your logic is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,693 ✭✭✭✭listermint

guyfo wrote: »
    If the OP has a problem with scumbags in housing estates then fine, but that ain't the title of this thread. I'm absolutely sick of the media reporting on this telling parents not to buy scramblers at all, no distinction made between joyriders and competitors, it's disgraceful.

The same people wouldn't put out a campaign telling parents not to start their kids boxing because a few kids fight in public would they? Double standards...

If you wanted to start your child off in motorsports I don't think Christmas would hold you back.

This has nothing to do with motorsports at all. Its edgits buying unsuitable presents for their kids.

Nothing more.

Dont make it out as an attack against motorsports because that's horse ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I know a few farmers kids who have them and tip around their land on them.theyre actually practical on a farm.v handy for checking stock.
    The idea of inner city youth owning them and driving them on estates is fcukin ridiculous

A lot of those quads are neither taxed nor insured. There's one on our road that goes up and down once a day when there's stock there. I've never heard of a cop pulling one up, likely because they're away from populated areas and they don't make nuisances of themselves.

Oooh edgy mac edgeface pays taxes!
    Let's put him in charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

Better them killing themselves than anyone else, parents allowing them to ride on streets or fields/parks are instilling the message that the law doesn't matter.

Etc wrote: »
    Better them killing themselves than anyone else, parents allowing them to ride on streets or fields/parks are instilling the message that the law doesn't matter.

Don't you think that the best outcome is that no one is killed?
    Or is that just bleeding heart liberal nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Etc wrote: »
    Ive no issue, but article clearly states social estates, if parents in those estates think its alright to let their underage kids risk their and other lives its not ok in any way or form.

someone who buys it for their kid that either have good plot of land or actually going to places where they can be ridden -not streets or parks then dont see an issue training youngsters from early age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Natural selection, innit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

At least the kids around Weston have helmets on this year. The Childers Road looked like a scene out of the Biker Mice From Mars earlier.

He's right, though.

There's a scrambler or two in my area. I'm always hoping for the day I hear of a fatal accident involving it. I won't feign sadness or sympathy - I'd be delighted - as would many hundreds of others that live in my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Better they kill themselves than crush innocent people like what happened to that poor man in Darndale. I've seen them flying up and down Amiens st, in what other capital city in the civilised world would you see feral kids flying around the city centre on illegal scramblers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement