Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrambler bikes

Options
  • 25-12-2019 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,303 ✭✭✭✭

Are parents buying these in order to get rid of their kids?
    Is George Soros behind it!!

Initially I was like holy crap next door are cutting the grass very early!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The gardai are hoping to cut down on the numbers of parents killing their children this Christmas...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/scrambler-crackdown-4886990-Dec2019/
    Report them if the kid takes the scrambler out!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The estates on the south side of Limerick City have been reverberating to a veritable orchestra of scrambler engines over the last 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

The gardai are hoping to cut down on the numbers of parents killing their children this Christmas...
    https://www.thejournal.ie/scrambler-crackdown-4886990-Dec2019/
    Report them if the kid takes the scrambler out!

The fight against the Motorsport enthusiast continues.... Don't tar everyone with the same brush, plenty of responsible parents buying their kids bikes, or karts, to start them off in racing. It's no more dangerous than contact sports.

If they are using them in a housing estate then yes they should be punished, that is if it anything other than taking the bike for a quick first spin. Plenty of appropriate places to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I got one for the young lad. He was absolutely thrilled. You should have seen his face. Delighted so he was.

He's 13 so plenty old enough. I was driving tractors before that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

guyfo wrote: »
    The fight against the Motorsport enthusiast continues.... Don't tar everyone with the same brush, plenty of responsible parents buying their kids bikes, or karts, to start them off in sport. It's no more dangerous than contact sports.

That’s all well and good if done in a safe environment but I’m guessing that’s not what the OP is about.

Kids who take up karate or boxing aren’t just left to their own devices and told to go at each other.

EDIT: I see you edited as I was posting :) Have a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The fight against the Motorsport enthusiast continues.... Don't tar everyone with the same brush, plenty of responsible parents buying their kids bikes, or karts, to start them off in sport. It's no more dangerous than contact sports.

Hmmmm, a feral kid in an estate speeding about one a powerful scrambler bike is no more dangerous than a kid playing GAA or doing Karate?

Tell me, how many hours training per week do those feral kids on bikes do so that they are competent to ride the bike before they get the bike and after they get it?

They are not motorsport enthusiasts in the slightest, they wouldn’t know a Joey Dunlop from a Shumacher even if you had them standing beside their respective vehicles!

*edited while I was posting, point still stands though Re feral kids in estates with bikes!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

frag420 wrote: »
    They are not motorsport enthusiasts in the slightest, they wouldn’t know a Joey Dunlop from a Shumacher even if you had them standing beside their respective vehicles!

They're all utterly obsessed with Lamborghinis these days. It must have been born out of a meme or online gaming.

Collie D wrote: »
    That’s all well and good if done in a safe environment but I’m guessing that’s not what the OP is about.

Kids who take up karate or boxing aren’t just left to their own devices and told to go at each other.

If the OP has a problem with scumbags in housing estates then fine, but that ain't the title of this thread. I'm absolutely sick of the media reporting on this telling parents not to buy scramblers at all, no distinction made between joyriders and competitors, it's disgraceful.

The same people wouldn't put out a campaign telling parents not to start their kids boxing because a few kids fight in public would they? Double standards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

If the OP has a problem with scumbags in housing estates then fine, but that ain't the title of this thread. I'm absolutely sick of the media reporting on this telling parents not to buy scramblers at all, no distinction made between joyriders and competitors, it's disgraceful.

The same people wouldn't put out a campaign telling parents not to start their kids boxing because a few kids fight in public would they? Double standards...

Is there many scrambler tracks in or around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

There is a very good facility close to my estate for scramblers, and it's only occasionally that you see them on the road.

That been said, that is usually with one wheel on the road and attempting jumps over the speed bumps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

pablo128 wrote: »

There's one in East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I've seen unregistered scramblers on the road many times. Saw Gardai in Rathfarnham trying to catch a few of them a few months back. There is a green colored one going around the area and he will eventually get caught.. When he does I hope they pin the beggar to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If they are using them in a housing estate then yes they should be punished, that is if it anything other than taking the bike for a quick first spin. Plenty of appropriate places to use them.

Quick first spin in the housing estate is not appropriate. Whatever you might think..

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/teen-killed-in-christmas-day-motorbike-accident-seen-doing-wheelies-seconds-before-accident-inquest-hears-31113676.html

pablo128 wrote: »

2 within the confines of the city, another 4 within an hour's drive of the M50

For mini bikes and race karts there are also 3 sealed surface tracks within 45 minutes of the city, Mondello, WhiteRiver Park and Athboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Who do they sue when they fall off at one of these tracks, is it the local council?

KaneToad wrote: »

By quick spin I wasn't talking about speed, a gob****e like that was asking for an accident. A responsible adult could let the child out on the bike for a few minutes of supervised slow speed running early in the morning while keeping watch for any dangers. (Probably less suited to a kart)

Plenty of Xmas tests and races on to have the first proper run out within days of getting the bike or kart. For instance the track I work for has 4 hours of race kart testing on the 27th, a full day of testing on the 28th and the annual Xmas race on the 29th which also has rookie classes. Kids could get the kart and have hours of seat time in before the year is out.

Who do they sue when they fall off at one of these tracks, is it the local council?

You can't sue someone because you fell of your own bike.... How would that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Ah jaysus headwrecker. Glad I don’t live on one of them ‘vibrant’ young estates where even the grandparents are effectively kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

The fight against the Motorsport enthusiast continues.... Don't tar everyone with the same brush, plenty of responsible parents buying their kids bikes, or karts, to start them off in racing. It's no more dangerous than contact sports.

Where’s an appropriate place to drive a scrambler for a young fella from an inner city with no land.
    Are you suggesting that the parents buy a trailer to ship the bike around on aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

guyfo wrote:
    By quick spin I wasn't talking about speed, a gob****e like that was asking for an accident. A responsible adult could let the child out on the bike for a few minutes of supervised slow speed running early in the morning while keeping watch for any dangers. (Probably less suited to a kart)

I think we should expand this to other vehicles such as cars, I can't foresee any issues with it

• Advertisement

I’d have absolutely no problem with someone buying a scrambler if they owned land for to use it on and not the green area of a housing estate annoying neighbors and endangering people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Where’s an appropriate place to drive a scrambler for a young fella from an inner city with no land.
    Are you suggesting that the parents buy a trailer to ship the bike around on aswell.

Yes.

If you live in a city with no access to land to scramble get the kids a mountain bike or a PlayStation.

The fight against the Motorsport enthusiast continues...

Motor sport enthusiast? :rolleyes: Did you ever hear such sh/te. :D

They're scumbags. If they weren't acting the jock on these yokes and tormenting everyone in a 500meter radius with the noise, then no one would care about them.

An enthusiast doesn't fly down footpaths in housing estates. They go where they should be used. People don't dislike scramblers because they've nothing else to dislike. It's a present that a scumbag gets on christmas. I've yet to meet someone that got a scrambler for christmas whose family i wouldn't class as wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Well that would be the correct thing to do. Or have the use of a van.

Not the local park or football pitch, or the public road

Motor sport enthusiast? :rolleyes: Did you ever hear such sh/te. :D

They're scumbags. If they weren't acting the jock on these yokes and tormenting everyone in a 500meter radius with the noise, then no one would care about them.

An enthusiast doesn't fly down footpaths in housing estates. They go where they should be used. People don't dislike scramblers because they've nothing else to dislike. It's a present that a scumbag gets on christmas. I've yet to meet someone that got a scrambler for christmas whose family i wouldn't class as wasters.

I know a few farmers kids who have them and tip around their land on them.theyre actually practical on a farm.v handy for checking stock.
    The idea of inner city youth owning them and driving them on estates is fcukin ridiculous

There will be a heap of them scrapped by next week anyway. The majority are cheap Chinese sh1te boxes that you can’t buy spares for.

That would be the Motocross track in East wall... And my point is that not everyone is the type of gobheen that terrorises the local park or takes their bike out on the road for the craic. Responsible ownership should be encouraged.

I know a few farmers kids who have them and tip around their land on them.theyre actually practical on a farm.v handy for checking stock.
    The idea of inner city youth owning them and driving them on estates is fcukin ridiculous

In fairness, that's a different thing altogether. I've often seen Farmers on public roads on their Quads and I never felt the need to ring the Gardai to report them.

Farmers have a legitimate need and use for them, and they tend not to act like muppets. For all the bashing the farmers get lately, they're generally decent, good-natured people.

Scumbags in estates are the problem. If the scramblers were electric, and didn't make any noise, no one would care about them. It's the noise that wrecks people's heads for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Let them ride, baby.... let them ride. Next time you get close to one of these little cretins. Pin an Organ Donor card on him ;-)

Always a silver lining etc.

The thing is that they can injure other people, other than that I’d agree with you.

And sure when they go out joyriding and die it’s all ‘he had a hart of golde, wit de angles now’ and ‘why did the pigs chase him, brutality, dey should b afta reel ciriminals who bankruptted de country’.

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    Yes.

If you live in a city with no access to land to scramble get the kids a mountain bike or a PlayStation.

Not necessarily, no matter where you live there will be somewhere within reasonable driving distance to take the bike out for a rip in a controlled environment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement