Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The reviewers I'd trust about RPGs seem to like it. It seems to be ignore the story, come of the interesting gameplay and ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We have another JPRG coming to the Vita this year, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair will be coming out during Q3, it is not a direct sequel to Trigger Happy Havoc and will be far darker with strong horror elements.
    NIS America is excited to announce that Danganronpa™ 2: Goodbye Despair, the sequel to the highly popular mystery adventure game Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, will be making its way to the PlayStation®Vita in North America and Europe this fall in both retail and digital form. As in the first game, players will take on the role of a high school student as they are thrust into a life-or-death situation, and must use their wits and teamwork to survive. Each student was chosen for a special ability they possess, making them the “ultimate” example of something. Characters in this title are also designed by Rui Komatsuzaki for a unique and darker take on the anime style.

About the game:
    Jabberwock Island – once a popular tourist destination, this now uninhabited island remains oddly pristine. You and your classmates at the elite Hope's Peak Academy have been brought to this island by your super-cute teacher for a “lovey-dovey, heart-throbbing school trip.” Everyone seems to be having fun in the sun...until Monokuma returns to restart his murderous game! Trapped on this island of mutual killing, your only hope of escape rests in solving the island’s mysteries. But be warned—sometimes the truth can be its own despair...

Key features:
    Deadly Island Vibes: Murder is the only means of escape when you’re trapped on this island paradise. As your fellow classmates start dropping like coconuts, you’ll need to delve into each murderous incident, forage for clues, and interview your classmates to reveal the opportunity, motive, and means behind each killer case!

Tribal Council: You’ll go head-to-head in all new minigames with the other students during the Class Trial, shooting down their false truths and using your evidence to uncover what really happened. But watch out! If a student is unconvinced, they'll challenge you to a one-on-one Rebuttal Showdown and force you to defend your argument!

Survival of the Keenest: Match up your evidence with your fellow classmates’ arguments and determine who’s really telling the truth. Once you’ve got a suspect in your sights, turn up that tropical heat in a variety of timing- and reflex-based game systems to reveal the ultimate truth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not a RPG, it plays more like phoenix Wright. NISA announced a rake of RPGs today coming to the US which should make it to Europe as well.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's not a RPG, it plays more like phoenix Wright. NISA announced a rake of RPGs today coming to the US which should make it to Europe as well.

True, it is more of a murder mystery point and click game, think of it more like Persona with no fighting, with a lot of dark themes like Virtue's Last Reward and Ace Attorneys trials, still though it is a great game so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

So FFXIII-3 actually sounds great, a real B-tier experimental RPG that you would get during the PS1 era:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/lightning-returns-ps3-review-the-future-of-final-fantasy-no-but-definitely-an-intriguingly-weird-present

The first review sums it up well, its pretty much everything XIII wasn't, which has good and bad points. The Graphics for most of the zones are very poor, like early PS3 games. NPC's also have pretty poor art, which makes it jarring when you see an ultra realistic lightning talking to a low polygon NPC.

That's the next thing, there are loads of side quests in LR, all with voice acting. Its great and immersive, but sometimes its just weird. For example its just weird listening to serious & stoic lightning trying to cheer up somebody who lost there dog, or say some platitude when she found it again. It even seems the voice actor is a bit "what the hell" at the fact your this demi-god who is running around doing errands for people (and you kind of have to do them, its the only way to get more stats). Maybe it should have been FFXII Sazh returns, not sure it would have sold so many copies though !

I'm stilling enjoying it though, the gameplay is fun, its similar to the old games but it adds a level of skill now that you are using your own individual attacks, you need to know your enemies particular weaknesses, were as before you could just librascope something, get the paradigms appropriate for the damage it dishes out and mash auto battle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

How does the time thing work exactly? I don't want to play another game where I'm stressed out by a "Game Over" clock.

Time ticks at 2.5 seconds for a game minute, you get 6 days, extended to 13 meeting side quests. Time only flows when you are running around the world, its paused basically every where else (menus, battles, dialog scenes). You can Pause time with EP (chronostasis), which you earn from fighting monsters, you also get a refill at the end of every day. Taking a train between zones takes up to an hour, but you can also teleport with enough EP.

The game lets you start again from scratch

What this all means in practice

Its quite possible to suspend time quite well if you hit a nice string of easy to kill monsters, or strong monsters that reward a lot of EP.

Its also quite easy to piss away time by hitting zones with little monsters, or monsters that reward little EP. This seems to happen more at the start than later on though.

You need to make a conscious decision at the start, are you going to use a guide or just wing it. There is no way you'll get all the side quests in a single play through really, I'm not sure however if completing the story would be impossible though (unless you fudge it hard). You have complete freedom from the start, so you can end up getting caned in a high level zone. There is also time dependent gates, quests and items. Its basically designed for multiple playthroughs.

Personally I'm going with the guide, its cheesy, but I can jam a lot more into a playthrough that just running freeform, and its more enjoyable when you are ahead with stats rather than behind.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I started vahalla knights 3 tonight on the vita,not bad so far.

Rake of Persona titles announced today for the US. The persona dancing game is coming out on Vita. then there's the sequel to P4 Arena with the stupid name that is coming to PS3 (no 360 where I have a fightstick ). And the two biggies, Persona Q on 3DS and Persona 5 for PS3 in fecking 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I don't really mind P5's release date. Gives me more time before I'm forced to buy a proper TV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Looks like crappy emulator controls, but it's cool that it's finally been localised.

Music is funky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Are any of the android ports of the final fantasies any good? They have 1-6 and I don't know if they'll be worth it or not, particularly when 4-6 are 15 quid each

And if not are any of the other android RPGs any good?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

As much as i love some JRPG's, they make it really hard to play when there are people around sometimes. I'm playing Star Ocean: The Last Hope at the moment, and it's enjoyable enough, but the half naked cat people, weirdly inappropriate kids, and insane boob physics make it very uncomfortable to play at times.

Especially seeing as i'm back with the parents for a few weeks :pac:

That game. I never finished it because it was so crap and the moe crap in it made it embarassing.

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Are any of the android ports of the final fantasies any good? They have 1-6 and I don't know if they'll be worth it or not, particularly when 4-6 are 15 quid each

And if not are any of the other android RPGs any good?

Emulation on android is another option for a lot of those, the gba port of ffvi is pretty solid for example.

imitation wrote: »
    Emulation on android is another option for a lot of those, the gba port of ffvi is pretty solid for example.

Yeah was thinking that too.

I was also thinking though that the android port's control scheme might be more fluid since the game would have been designed for touch screen controls as opposed the emulator's version of touch screen controls.

FFIV is the anniversary edition which would be bette than the English snes port and the ffV android port looks gorgeous, might be better off playing than emulating. Dimensions is pretty good. Controls are still a bit muck.

Ffvii is the anniversary edition which would be bette than the English snes port and the ffV android port looks gorgeous, might be better off playing than emulating. Dimensions is pretty good. Controls are still a bit muck.

Yeah was thining about V myself based purely on how much better it looks than the rest.

But €15 still feels a little steep tbh, especially since I'm less likely to be as immersed in it than if I was playing on console.

Is FFV android the same as FFV iOS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Just found out Persona 3 FES is on PSN for €9.99 (emulated).
    With 5 coming out on PS3 too what's the story with 4 Golden?
    From a quick search it doesn't seem it's in the works for PS3?
    Vita / PS2 / PC emulation the only options?

• Advertisement

It's on PS2 in none golden edition and Vita as the golden edition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

It's on PS2 in none golden edition and Vita as the golden edition.

Yes, I know it's golden on Vita but there's no plans for it on PS3 or even PS4? I don't have a Vita or the PS2 version.

None. There might be a PS2 downloadable release down the line, it's the best you can hope for. I'd say they will do it to promote P5.

Jeremy parish was very positive about the ffX remake, seems it hasn't aged much at all which I was worried about. Half tempted to get ffX-2 for vita because I'll actually play it on that.

More good final fantasy news, the type-0 fan translation is slated for a release in August. It more than likely will get delayed but at least it means its coming along nicely.

I'm at the point now where I've completely lost interest in Type-0. Which sucks because the little bit I played seemed really good.

Jeremy parish was very positive about the ffX remake, seems it hasn't aged much at all which I was worried about. Half tempted to get ffX-2 for vita because I'll actually play it on that.

More good final fantasy news, the type-0 fan translation is slated for a release in August. It more than likely will get delayed but at least it means its coming along nicely.

Good to hear, I have the Final Fantasy X+X2 HD Standard Edition pre ordered for the Vita, god knows when I will get around to playing it though.

Want to give Squares producers some advice on their localisations? Apparently they'll be readinf the comments here, whether it's true or not is a different story:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasys-producer-asks-what-makes-or-breaks-a-localization

Is anyone picking up The Witch and the Hundred Knight this week, still between two minds whether to get it, its storyline is meant to be very dark and its combat is top down hack and slash.

I'll be picking it up but not for Gamestop prices. Like every other NISA game I own I'll buy it in a few weeks and then leave it in my pile of shame. Sure I only just started Disgaea last week! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah I know what you mean, it will be bought at some point and probably stay in it packaging like Time and Eternity, it is nearly a hobby now collecting the NIS games.

Advertisement