Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jesus. It's actually happening....

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

I thought that only happened with apostophies :)

Apostrophies, i beg your pardon, It's the drink misspelling.
    ~(and i'm not too sure about that last word....

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭drop-dead-legs

all us young bands get forced to play these gigs cause there's virtually nothing else around, even the all ages gigs that dublin underground put on are gonna start being pay to play soon, if all you elder bands think it's such a sham, why not help us out and do better then? put that ****er <snip> outta business and bring a good music scene back to dublin, instead of every band getting ripped off by someone somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

all us young bands get forced to play these gigs cause there's virtually nothing else around, even the all ages gigs that dublin underground put on are gonna start being pay to play soon, if all you elder bands think it's such a sham, why not help us out and do better then? put that ****er <snip> outta business and bring a good music scene back to dublin, instead of every band getting ripped off by someone somewhere

Why don't young bands put on their own gigs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

PaulBrewer wrote: »

I was going to ask the very same questions.. sadly i suspect many bands today expect everyone else to put the effort/time/money in to make them successful :(

20 odd years ago, we used to hire out Youth Clubs for gigs, keep asking down venues for support slots etc, even hire out the venues yourself (there are literally 1000's of pubs in Dublin who ha ve the facilities to have bands play, and most would be dirt cheap to hire).. There is absolutely no reason at all to pay to play in smaller venues, apart from lazyness.

Welease wrote: »
    I was going to ask the very same questions.. sadly i suspect many bands today expect everyone else to put the effort/time/money in to make them successful :(

20 odd years ago, we used to hire out Youth Clubs for gigs, keep asking down venues for support slots etc, even hire out the venues yourself (there are literally 1000's of pubs in Dublin who ha ve the facilities to have bands play, and most would be dirt cheap to hire).. There is absolutely no reason at all to pay to play in smaller venues, apart from lazyness.

I blame X-Factor .... bah humbug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

I have to agree with the other posters, you should be putting these gigs on yourselves. There are loads and loads of places in every city and town that would allow ye to put on a gig. All ye need is a hall. I used to play in a band in my teens in the mid 90's in a provincial leinster town and every month or so someone would put on a gig. The organisers would usually be 15-17 year olds and all the bands would be the same age. Hundreds of kids would turn up to these gigs and it used to be savage craic. There could be 7 or 8 bands playing on a night in some random hall and it used to happen maybe every second month for years. But then the younger generations didnt bother putting them on and now there are none. I havent seen or heard any young bands playing in my town in years and its a huge shame. I dont have a clue what teenagers now do to amuse themselves.
    It used to be some craic panicking on the day cause we were so ****(we only knew power chords!) but somehow getting a few tunes together that would get a mosh going and blagging your way through the gig.

I know that there was a population boom at that time so there was a lot of teenagers about to have gigs but there must surely be room for gigs like that nowadays. The gigs organised for kids by adults look so sanitised and safe. Theres no edge to them. Ye should definately be organising them yourselves.

All you need to do is get a few of ye together to get a few hundred quid and take a bit of a risk. Im sure that you could do a deal with some hall where you can agree on a share of the door so that you dont have to take a huge risk of renting and not getting enough at the door. Then you only need to pay for the sound which should be only around 200 euro which a few people could get together. A sport club could be a good bet cause its handy for adults to keep an eye on things but they could usually do little about the mayhem. Then spread the word around your friends and away you go.

But then again maybe there is a reason i dont now about that gigs for teenagers dont go on like insurance problems or something like that but there was no drink served at the gigs we used to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'd have no problem putting on gigs for younger bands.

But I'd have to charge you for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Organise a battle of the bands at your local school and you'd start to get a following / name around... they always help and sometimes the schools help with getting it all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

krd wrote: »
    Blah,blah,blah..

(And there's no real reason for a popstar to be fat -- when there's perfectly good amphetamines available at good prices -- 15 year old boys just do not toss themselves off, running erotic fantasy scenarios of fat rock chicks through their heads -- it just doesn't happen. -- Amphetamine crystal has such a bitter taste -- but may take you where you need to go --- and maybe even might give you that special groove you need)

You could say I'm jealous...... But is it jealousy when a cotton pickin negreo,, resents the plantation owner,,,,,,,,,, and his fat daughter who thinks she's a popstar

Apologies.. Know its a bit old now.. But I'm just reading all this "stuff" now..

Hahaha! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

ICN wrote: »
    Apologies.. Know its a bit old now.. But I'm just reading all this "stuff" now..

Hahaha! :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Yes, I have never read such BS as I am reading from this KRD character.

• Advertisement

dav nagle wrote: »
    Yes, I have never read such BS as I am reading from this KRD character.

Yessur!

Its definitely a "make a new profile" time - if ever there was one.

Time to let it lie.

Time to let it lie.

Laid.

I'm interested in the opinions of anyone that took part in it or was witness to it. Are the bands that were taking part happy with what they got? Would they do it again? was there much of a turnout?

Oh, and I'd also organise gigs for the kids, but like Studio Rat, they'd have to pay for the service offered.

To cover costs, not a raping charge.

I'm interested in the opinions of anyone that took part in it or was witness to it. Are the bands that were taking part happy with what they got? Would they do it again? was there much of a turnout?

So would I!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nehpets5555

Normally, i wouldnt do gigs with the promoter, but for whatever reason, my band were offered a slot with no prepay involved lol .we've done a few gigs with him before, but would really other than performance do others..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

jtsuited wrote: »
    the venue rental cost was tiny (because nobody's using the venue on a saturday afternoon), and because it was an all ages show the venue would make a killing on selling soft drinks.

That statement is just wrong. Venues hate doing all age gigs. Margins on softdrinks aren't enough to justify a) a bunch of kids playing loudmusic and pissing off whatever regulars they would have there on a Saturday afternoon.

and b) the extra insurance costs plus security which would be needed to look after making sure 16year olds didnt sneak drink into the premises.

I know for a fact that some venues would charge anything from 1000-3000 for the privilege of allowing kids on the premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

How much would they have to pay on average?

If you're not expected to bring an audience and are going to play on front of an established audience, then it may be reasonable to have to pay for it. If you're being asked to pay for anything, you have to ask what it is you're paying for and decide whether it's worthwhile or not.

support bands these days have to usually "buy on" to big tours. I'm not saying i agree with it, but it happens at all levels, not just young bands.

Bands could band together and do the thing themselves, in my experience, a lot of bands on stage are kings. Off stage, they're incredibly unreliable and unorganised and worse. Not all, but a lot of them.

I've headlined at gigs that the bands playing had organised, where the other band knew the score. The support band went out and got ****faced with all their mates the night before, turned up late, hungover to the 9's to soundcheck, and feck all of their mates turned up to the gig, being broke or too hungover to attend.

In the end, the gig made a loss of 250 quid i think. Although the organisation of the gig from start to finish was all saying you'd do something and not doing it, and wehat was done was left till the last minute.

To make a major generalisation, a lot of bands expect something for nothing. And expect admiration from all around while behaving like a ****.

I've done sound engineering for gigs, been in a gigging band and promoted some gigs, so i've seen it from a few different perspectives.

+1

If you have a razor and cut your hair yourself does that give you the right to bitch and complain about barbers who make a living at doing that too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

one of my best mates runs gigs used to run gigs every few weeks (its every few months now, were getting a bit older and have less time) He used to work in the venue where the gigs are held, i think all he has to cover is insurance for the venue. Its in a leisure center, their insurance mite cover it, not sure! a guy who runs a instrument shop in the town supplies the pa and does sound, he does it for a very small fee as its great publicity and nearly all the local bands that play there buy most their gear in his shop (partly because of this :) ) Some of our mates would so "security", but there was never an issue as everyone that came was there only for the music.

Its around €8-€10 on the door. bands never have to pay, but they dont get paid either (usualy only a 20-30min set anway) but they get to play to people who actualy listen to them. He never makes much money out of this (has lost money a few times), when sound engineer and "security" is paid for.

another one of my mates runs gigs out of an old farm house in the midlands! great craic, gigs are in a room that is around 20ft x 20ft! cant get much more underground that that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

So looking at the website, it seems as if it was 30 bands as opposed to the 100 initially advertised, so not quite the money maker hoped for by the promoter.

However assuming 30 bands * 30 tickets * €10 = €9,000 there does seem to be a decent possibility of the promoter making a nice wodge of cash for what looks like very little effort. Even assuming that instead of 900 tickets were sold 450 tickets were sold I would still assume a profit for the promoter, given the costs involved.

As for the promotion part of it, I live in Dublin and the only place I saw anything about this was on boards, so it doesnt seem as if much in the way of advertising was done - I didnt see it advertised in any magazines, papers, posters or on any Irish music blogs.

http://www.theperformancelive.com/timetablewhelans28.htm

Advertisement