Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Stadia Premiere Edition €59.99

• 17-03-2021 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Seen on hukd. Down from €99.99.

https://store.google.com/ie/product/stadia

I was looking for a new Chromecast anyway for ssport plus, so this seemed like a good deal.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

onform wrote: »

I was looking for a new Chromecast anyway for ssport plus, so this seemed like a good deal.

If you pay the extra tenner for Chromecast w. Google TV you can install the Ssport APK directly (it runs on my mibox 3) as well as VPN software so you won't have to set it up on your router. Probably not as much of a bargain considering the Stadia stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

onform wrote: »

Looks a good price, is the Stadia service good? Would be curious to see if anyone has any experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

dirtyden wrote: »
    Looks a good price, is the Stadia service good? Would be curious to see if anyone has any experience.

I think Stadia will fade into obscurity. I've never seen any positive reviews of it. Even on the best of connections people experience lag etc. Not a bad deal if you want the chromecast ultra anyway I suppose but a chromecast with google tv would be as good if you were not bothered about the controller.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

I got it for free when purchased Cyberpunk '77 and been using it since.
    Daily, for hours per day.

Tom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Yeah, it's very good. You can buy a game and play whenever. You dont even need to pay subscription if you dont want to and you can still play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Fifa 21 just dropped on it today,if you don't want to pay 400 or 500 on games console this is a no brainer,but I am a light user just bought fifa and with that and pga golf they will be what I play most on it,suits me for what I need it for and especially the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

A review I saw said that because the games are downloading as you're playing them, the lag time between you doing something and the reaction onscreen is woeful. Like, really shocking.

The idea is fantastic but it's too good to be true, there has to be a catch. It doesn't work at all seems to be the catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭AhhHere

Tom

Another Positive Review here. Cyberpunk played really well. On Virgin's 250mb package. So not even the fastest. Had chromecast plugged directly into router and over wifi. Used my phone, laptop and tv to play. Hours and hours into the game and no complaints. Have a PS4 and it hasnt been booted since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

There are rumours that google will likely shut this down in the next couple of years based on them shutting down the development team for building their own games for their own service. Its under performing overall and the games licenses are locked into stadia.

https://theprint.in/tech/google-shuts-down-in-house-stadia-game-development-studio/597026/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

A review I saw said that because the games are downloading as you're playing them, the lag time between you doing something and the reaction onscreen is woeful. Like, really shocking.

The idea is fantastic but it's too good to be true, there has to be a catch. It doesn't work at all seems to be the catch.

As someone who uses it, I can say there is no "catch" other than a limited library of games. It works excellently for me on my TV with the CC Ultra and on my Chromebook (and my phone when I've tried). I have normal Eir broadband (not fiber).

If you want to try it there is a one month free trial to the "Pro" service and you can see for yourself rather than reading reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Tom

And there is sale for Jedi Last order till 1st of April.

Tom

Stadia latency is actually typically better than console latency. Consoles have on average ~100ms of input lag (plus up to an additional 50ms if your TV is not in low latency game mode). Latency on Stadia is typically much less, and can even be less laggy than a console when even just using 4G.

So if latency on a console has never bothered you, and if you have good internet and have it set up correctly, then latency on Stadia should bother you even less.

The only thing better than Stadia in terms of lag is a high end PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Thanks OP.

Would anyone know, if you have Sky Go on an android phone, can you cast that to the chromecast ultra? Or is there any way to get sky go working on the chromecast ultra?

Looked around a bit online and not able to see for sure if it would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Would anyone know, if you have Sky Go on an android phone, can you cast that to the chromecast ultra? Or is there any way to get sky go working on the chromecast ultra?

It doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thanks OP.

Looked around a bit online and not able to see for sure if it would work.

No chronecast compatibility for sky go. Cant even hook up a hdmi anymore to get it on a bigger screen.

Tempted by this Stadia deal, like another poster I'd be such a light gamer that this would be perfect for fifa for me. Havent really heard anything bad about the service except for the lack of games on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I think this is the only way to get a Chromecast Ultra from Google at the moment. My father was looking for an Ultra recently.
    I was looking on their site for one but it only had the plain Chromecast and the new "Chromecast with Google TV".

I presume the new one can do everything the Ultra can, and probably plays Stadia too, but its more expensive at €70 on its own, plus the controller is about another €70.
    So you can get this for €60, or the newer one + a controller for €140.

Definitely a bargain, and more so if you don't want "Android TV OS", which is the case with me as my parents don't want to learn a new OS.
    I'd nearly buy this and keep the controller, and see if it can be hacked to use with Steam or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I think this is the only way to get a Chromecast Ultra from Google at the moment. My father was looking for an Ultra recently.
    I was looking on their site for one but it only had the plain Chromecast and the new "Chromecast with Google TV".

I presume the new one can do everything the Ultra can, and probably plays Stadia too, but its more expensive at €70 on its own, plus the controller is about another €70.

Definitely a bargain, and more so if you don't want "Android TV OS", which is the case with me as my parents don't want to learn a new OS.
    I'd nearly buy this and keep the controller, and see if it can be hacked to use with Steam or something.

Don't think the new one works with Stadia yet. Typical Google.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭timetogo1

The_B_Man wrote: »

It doesn't work with the new chromecast (yet). My plan was to buy it and sell the ultra. I installed the app on the new chromecast and it didn't work properly. So now I've one TV with two chromecasts.

I'm enjoying stadia so far though. I signed up to a trial last year and have Bomberman and Destiny 2 for some reason. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Just ordered this. It's a no brainer.

Chromecast will come in handy and the price is worth it just to mess around with the Stadia.

Looking forward to it arriving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

DopeTech wrote: »
    I think Stadia will fade into obscurity. I've never seen any positive reviews of it. Even on the best of connections people experience lag etc. Not a bad deal if you want the chromecast ultra anyway I suppose but a chromecast with google tv would be as good if you were not bothered about the controller.

I have two, in two different rooms- one wired and one wireless, and have had great craic playing games on both. Not only that, but I have played on my Macbook Air, my Pixel and my PC. A terrific service with some flaws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Can't apk's be sideloaded to this version.?It says comes with Google Chromecast Ultra 2 included.

What is the difference between Ultr and Ultra2 and Chromecast Google TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,926 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

patq16 wrote: »
    Can't apk's be sideloaded to this version.?It says comes with Google Chromecast Ultra 2 included.

Chrome cast with Google TV is more like a Firestick. You can install Netflix, Disney + etc. But not Stadia for some reason ( it is coming apparently).

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Mine arrived yesterday. You get €10 off your first order. I wanted to give the game Grid a go. Was down from €45 to €12. Used my €10 voucher so only spent €2 on it. Game worked perfectly.

Will download PGA Golf soon. Never thought of that so thanks for the recommendation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

After much deliberation I decided to buy one of these.
    I love the odd game of fifa and a good fps, but with two toddlers now and much evening study for the last number of years, I haven't played in a game myself in about a decade.
    With the amount of spare time I have there is no way I could justify buying a console.
    This seems perfect for me at a great price point.
    Really looking forward to playing it now I must say.
    Thanks OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Really don't need this and prolly won't use it but still want to buy it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Pulled the trigger on this just now. Decided the €10 off for the first game and a month's trial was the clincher.

Will be interesting to give it a go anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bennyob

I went for it too at that price. Couldn't resist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm tempted.
    60 euro is quite a bargain. I'm not one got paying full price for games anymore. Isn't there a monthly service with free games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭recyclops

Where does it say chromecast 2,if it was a 2 I'd be interested.

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    Where does it say chromecast 2,if it was a 2 I'd be interested.

It looks like 2 is after the Chromecast Ultra same as 3 is after the Controller in the pic I've attached . What can Ultra 2 do ove the standard Ultra.? I don't particularly need one but tis still tempting at that price.🙈
    Add on
    Just looking at the pic again.That actually might mean a second edition of the Ultra and not an Ultra 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

It looks like 2 is after the Chromecast Ultra same as 3 is after the Controller in the pic I've attached . What can Ultra 2 do ove the standard Ultra.? I don't particularly need one but tis still tempting at that price.��
    It's reference number to terms not a model no.

¹ Stadia Premiere Edition available while supplies last. Promoter: Google Commerce Ltd, Gordon House Barrow Street Dublin 4, Ireland.

² Chromecast Ultra requires a TV with an HDMI port, a Wi-Fi® network and a compatible (Android or iOS) mobile device. Minimum OS requirements are at g.co/cast/req. Availability and performance of features and services are application-, device- and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas. More information is available at the Chromecast Help Centre.

³ Stadia Controller requires a Wi-Fi® network and a mobile device running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or later, or iOS 11 or later. Availability and performance of services, applications and features (including 4K, HDR, 60 fps and 5.1 surround sound) are service-, network-, device- and game-dependent, and may not be available for all games in all areas. Wireless gameplay with the Stadia Controller is only available on TV using a Chromecast Ultra. All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice.

Ryath wrote: »
    It's reference number to terms not a model no.

¹ Stadia Premiere Edition available while supplies last. Promoter: Google Commerce Ltd, Gordon House Barrow Street Dublin 4, Ireland.

² Chromecast Ultra requires a TV with an HDMI port, a Wi-Fi® network and a compatible (Android or iOS) mobile device. Minimum OS requirements are at g.co/cast/req. Availability and performance of features and services are application-, device- and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas. More information is available at the Chromecast Help Centre.

³ Stadia Controller requires a Wi-Fi® network and a mobile device running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or later, or iOS 11 or later. Availability and performance of services, applications and features (including 4K, HDR, 60 fps and 5.1 surround sound) are service-, network-, device- and game-dependent, and may not be available for all games in all areas. Wireless gameplay with the Stadia Controller is only available on TV using a Chromecast Ultra. All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice.

I see what you mean.. That's excuse enough not to buy one so. I don't need it anyway.. LoL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Using it here too. Notice the opinion here from people who 'read this and that review' vs people who are actually using it. Stadia was shown to be best platform for Cyberpunk for example. I think closing the in house development was google change of direction to focus on licensing/porting games as opposed to a sign it is in trouble.

I am a light gamer, mainly Fifa. I switched to PC lately because I bought an Ultrawide and like the consoles, stadia dosen't support ultrawides. Finding stadia good, the kids are using it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Just pulled the trigger there. I haven't had a console since my XBOX 360 died about a decade ago.
    Couldn't justify buying one either as wouldn't have much time to play.
    Been mad to play RDR2 though so this will scratch that itch. Along with FIFA and a couple of others I reckon I'll get the tenner's worth out of it every month.
    I've only one chromecast here and it's first gen so the Ultra will be a nice addition.
    Overall, top bargain, thanks OP/damn you for convincing me to part with my money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭yellowbear

Just pulled the trigger there. I haven't had a console since my XBOX 360 died about a decade ago.
    Couldn't justify buying one either as wouldn't have much time to play.
    Been mad to play RDR2 though so this will scratch that itch. Along with FIFA and a couple of others I reckon I'll get the tenner's worth out of it every month.
    I've only one chromecast here and it's first gen so the Ultra will be a nice addition.
    Overall, top bargain, thanks OP/damn you for convincing me to part with my money :D

You don't need to be a subscriber to play games that you've bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

yellowbear wrote: »
    You don't need to be a subscriber to play games that you've bought.

Yes but you can't stream in 4k without the subscription which is a bit of a disappointment. I wonder if the free games on the Pro subscription ever include the bigger titles. You could get your money's worth if there were 2 big titles available each year.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yes but you can't stream in 4k without the subscription which is a bit of a disappointment. I wonder if the free games on the Pro subscription ever include the bigger titles. You could get your money's worth if there were 2 big titles available each year.

F1 2020 is available for free at the minute which isn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Got this setup yesterday and worked a treat ,no lag etc.
    But as soon as I moved away from router , lag kicked in.

Any recommendation to improve things in a normal two storey house for stadia,
    Thanks.

Got this setup yesterday and worked a treat ,no lag etc.
    But as soon as I moved away from router , lag kicked in.

Any recommendation to improve things in a normal two storey house for stadia,
    Thanks.

WiFi mesh is the only really option. Don't mess about with power lines or extenders. I've 480mb upstairs.

Also Check your wall socket to see if you have cat5 cable already. Guy from Eir was installing my broadband told me to have a look most new houses do have it.

He hooked the router to the cable that runs to the attic. I popped a switch up there and have wired cables to every room now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

WiFi mesh is the only really option. Don't mess about with power lines or extenders. I've 480mb upstairs.

Also Check your wall socket to see if you have cat5 cable already. Guy from Eir was installing my broadband told me to have a look most new houses do have it.

He hooked the router to the cable that runs to the attic. I popped a switch up there and have wired cables to every room now too.

I find it hard to believe any WiFi system could be better than powerline.

Physical is almost always fastest when it comes to latency.

Why shouldn't he buy a tp link or powerline plug? They have ethernet direct into the chromecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotVeryHappy

Looks like if you buy the new resident evil you can claim the chromecast and controller which is an even better deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭beardo81

Looks like if you buy the new resident evil you can claim the chromecast and controller which is an even better deal

I can see articles but nowhere to actually get this deal, have you a link by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Ryath

beardo81 wrote: »
    I can see articles but nowhere to actually get this deal, have you a link by any chance?

https://stadia.google.com/games/resident-evil-village?

I find it hard to believe any WiFi system could be better than powerline.

Physical is almost always fastest when it comes to latency.

Why shouldn't he buy a tp link or powerline plug? They have ethernet direct into the chromecast.

Main reason is that the Stadia controller doesn't actually connect to the chrome cast. It has its own WiFi connection. So you want to have decent WiFi to avoid input latency.

I've been through all the extenders and power lines/plugs out there. They rely heavily on the wiring being up to par, and not having to travel huge distance.

I had a 1gb line in that was down to 8 or 9mbps by the time it got to my room. Never mind the endless resetting and pairing.

I've Eero installed now. 500mb line in to the opposite end of the house. I just ran a speed test at I'm getting 440mbps down 49 Mbps up and 5s latency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Did the pre order there with Resident Evil. If anyone else did, did ye have to put in a delivery address? I didn't so wondering how they are going to send bundle out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Did the pre order there with Resident Evil. If anyone else did, did ye have to put in a delivery address? I didn't so wondering how they are going to send bundle out?

They send you a link to get the hardware delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Main reason is that the Stadia controller doesn't actually connect to the chrome cast. It has its own WiFi connection. So you want to have decent WiFi to avoid input latency.

I've been through all the extenders and power lines/plugs out there. They rely heavily on the wiring being up to par, and not having to travel huge distance.

I had a 1gb line in that was down to 8 or 9mbps by the time it got to my room. Never mind the endless resetting and pairing.

I've Eero installed now. 500mb line in to the opposite end of the house. I just ran a speed test at I'm getting 440mbps down 49 Mbps up and 5s latency.

I might try and run a cat cable down to the vodafone router and just stick a linksys router on the end of it.

Does the mesh system start at the router location via cable or are they like extenders. I'm not sure if I need to buy a set or if I can just buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭beardo81

Ryath wrote: »

Thank you. Apologies for being a lazy sh*t who can't find things themselves.

I might try and run a cat cable down to the vodafone router and just stick a linksys router on the end of it.

Does the mesh system start at the router location via cable or are they like extenders. I'm not sure if I need to buy a set or if I can just buy one.

It depends on the size of the house. I have a 3 pack, 1 in the office connected to the router. One in the sitting room as that is bang in the middle of the house and then one upstairs in the bedroom.

It creates one big WiFi mesh. You can walk anywhere and you don't have to change to WiFi from the router to the upstairs power plug etc. The mesh handles it all so you stay on the one WiFi connection.

I do have them all wired as well to improve things.

Before buying anything unscrew the phone socket on the wall. If the cable has two wires it is a phone line. If it has 6 then it is prob cat 5. And you could pretty easily run a wired connection upstairs by changing the socket.

I have a cable plugged into the wall that pops out in the attic. I popped a 8 port switch there and connected all the rooms to it. Now each room has a port directly wired.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭TetraSonic55

Google send you an email with a discount code for the Stadia premier edition. That code essentially brings the price to €0

You won't get an email to redeem the free stadia premier edition until very close to the release date

• Advertisement
Advertisement