Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Stadia Premiere Edition €59.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Ryath

patq16 wrote: »
    It looks like 2 is after the Chromecast Ultra same as 3 is after the Controller in the pic I've attached . What can Ultra 2 do ove the standard Ultra.? I don't particularly need one but tis still tempting at that price.��
    It's reference number to terms not a model no.

¹ Stadia Premiere Edition available while supplies last. Promoter: Google Commerce Ltd, Gordon House Barrow Street Dublin 4, Ireland.

² Chromecast Ultra requires a TV with an HDMI port, a Wi-Fi® network and a compatible (Android or iOS) mobile device. Minimum OS requirements are at g.co/cast/req. Availability and performance of features and services are application-, device- and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas. More information is available at the Chromecast Help Centre.

³ Stadia Controller requires a Wi-Fi® network and a mobile device running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or later, or iOS 11 or later. Availability and performance of services, applications and features (including 4K, HDR, 60 fps and 5.1 surround sound) are service-, network-, device- and game-dependent, and may not be available for all games in all areas. Wireless gameplay with the Stadia Controller is only available on TV using a Chromecast Ultra. All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭patq16

Ryath wrote: »
    It's reference number to terms not a model no.

¹ Stadia Premiere Edition available while supplies last. Promoter: Google Commerce Ltd, Gordon House Barrow Street Dublin 4, Ireland.

² Chromecast Ultra requires a TV with an HDMI port, a Wi-Fi® network and a compatible (Android or iOS) mobile device. Minimum OS requirements are at g.co/cast/req. Availability and performance of features and services are application-, device- and network-dependent and may not be available in all areas. More information is available at the Chromecast Help Centre.

³ Stadia Controller requires a Wi-Fi® network and a mobile device running Android 6.0 (Marshmallow) or later, or iOS 11 or later. Availability and performance of services, applications and features (including 4K, HDR, 60 fps and 5.1 surround sound) are service-, network-, device- and game-dependent, and may not be available for all games in all areas. Wireless gameplay with the Stadia Controller is only available on TV using a Chromecast Ultra. All features, functionality and other product specifications are subject to change without notice.

I see what you mean.. That's excuse enough not to buy one so. I don't need it anyway.. LoL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Using it here too. Notice the opinion here from people who 'read this and that review' vs people who are actually using it. Stadia was shown to be best platform for Cyberpunk for example. I think closing the in house development was google change of direction to focus on licensing/porting games as opposed to a sign it is in trouble.

I am a light gamer, mainly Fifa. I switched to PC lately because I bought an Ultrawide and like the consoles, stadia dosen't support ultrawides. Finding stadia good, the kids are using it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Just pulled the trigger there. I haven't had a console since my XBOX 360 died about a decade ago.
    Couldn't justify buying one either as wouldn't have much time to play.
    Been mad to play RDR2 though so this will scratch that itch. Along with FIFA and a couple of others I reckon I'll get the tenner's worth out of it every month.
    I've only one chromecast here and it's first gen so the Ultra will be a nice addition.
    Overall, top bargain, thanks OP/damn you for convincing me to part with my money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭yellowbear

Just pulled the trigger there. I haven't had a console since my XBOX 360 died about a decade ago.
    Couldn't justify buying one either as wouldn't have much time to play.
    Been mad to play RDR2 though so this will scratch that itch. Along with FIFA and a couple of others I reckon I'll get the tenner's worth out of it every month.
    I've only one chromecast here and it's first gen so the Ultra will be a nice addition.
    Overall, top bargain, thanks OP/damn you for convincing me to part with my money :D

You don't need to be a subscriber to play games that you've bought.

• Advertisement

yellowbear wrote: »
    You don't need to be a subscriber to play games that you've bought.

Yes but you can't stream in 4k without the subscription which is a bit of a disappointment. I wonder if the free games on the Pro subscription ever include the bigger titles. You could get your money's worth if there were 2 big titles available each year.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yes but you can't stream in 4k without the subscription which is a bit of a disappointment. I wonder if the free games on the Pro subscription ever include the bigger titles. You could get your money's worth if there were 2 big titles available each year.

F1 2020 is available for free at the minute which isn't bad

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Got this setup yesterday and worked a treat ,no lag etc.
    But as soon as I moved away from router , lag kicked in.

Any recommendation to improve things in a normal two storey house for stadia,
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Got this setup yesterday and worked a treat ,no lag etc.
    But as soon as I moved away from router , lag kicked in.

Any recommendation to improve things in a normal two storey house for stadia,
    Thanks.

WiFi mesh is the only really option. Don't mess about with power lines or extenders. I've 480mb upstairs.

Also Check your wall socket to see if you have cat5 cable already. Guy from Eir was installing my broadband told me to have a look most new houses do have it.

He hooked the router to the cable that runs to the attic. I popped a switch up there and have wired cables to every room now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

WiFi mesh is the only really option. Don't mess about with power lines or extenders. I've 480mb upstairs.

Also Check your wall socket to see if you have cat5 cable already. Guy from Eir was installing my broadband told me to have a look most new houses do have it.

He hooked the router to the cable that runs to the attic. I popped a switch up there and have wired cables to every room now too.

I find it hard to believe any WiFi system could be better than powerline.

Physical is almost always fastest when it comes to latency.

Why shouldn't he buy a tp link or powerline plug? They have ethernet direct into the chromecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NotVeryHappy

Looks like if you buy the new resident evil you can claim the chromecast and controller which is an even better deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Looks like if you buy the new resident evil you can claim the chromecast and controller which is an even better deal

I can see articles but nowhere to actually get this deal, have you a link by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Ryath

beardo81 wrote: »
    I can see articles but nowhere to actually get this deal, have you a link by any chance?

https://stadia.google.com/games/resident-evil-village?

I find it hard to believe any WiFi system could be better than powerline.

Physical is almost always fastest when it comes to latency.

Why shouldn't he buy a tp link or powerline plug? They have ethernet direct into the chromecast.

Main reason is that the Stadia controller doesn't actually connect to the chrome cast. It has its own WiFi connection. So you want to have decent WiFi to avoid input latency.

I've been through all the extenders and power lines/plugs out there. They rely heavily on the wiring being up to par, and not having to travel huge distance.

I had a 1gb line in that was down to 8 or 9mbps by the time it got to my room. Never mind the endless resetting and pairing.

I've Eero installed now. 500mb line in to the opposite end of the house. I just ran a speed test at I'm getting 440mbps down 49 Mbps up and 5s latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Did the pre order there with Resident Evil. If anyone else did, did ye have to put in a delivery address? I didn't so wondering how they are going to send bundle out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Did the pre order there with Resident Evil. If anyone else did, did ye have to put in a delivery address? I didn't so wondering how they are going to send bundle out?

They send you a link to get the hardware delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Main reason is that the Stadia controller doesn't actually connect to the chrome cast. It has its own WiFi connection. So you want to have decent WiFi to avoid input latency.

I've been through all the extenders and power lines/plugs out there. They rely heavily on the wiring being up to par, and not having to travel huge distance.

I had a 1gb line in that was down to 8 or 9mbps by the time it got to my room. Never mind the endless resetting and pairing.

I've Eero installed now. 500mb line in to the opposite end of the house. I just ran a speed test at I'm getting 440mbps down 49 Mbps up and 5s latency.

I might try and run a cat cable down to the vodafone router and just stick a linksys router on the end of it.

Does the mesh system start at the router location via cable or are they like extenders. I'm not sure if I need to buy a set or if I can just buy one.

Thank you. Apologies for being a lazy sh*t who can't find things themselves.

I might try and run a cat cable down to the vodafone router and just stick a linksys router on the end of it.

Does the mesh system start at the router location via cable or are they like extenders. I'm not sure if I need to buy a set or if I can just buy one.

It depends on the size of the house. I have a 3 pack, 1 in the office connected to the router. One in the sitting room as that is bang in the middle of the house and then one upstairs in the bedroom.

It creates one big WiFi mesh. You can walk anywhere and you don't have to change to WiFi from the router to the upstairs power plug etc. The mesh handles it all so you stay on the one WiFi connection.

I do have them all wired as well to improve things.

Before buying anything unscrew the phone socket on the wall. If the cable has two wires it is a phone line. If it has 6 then it is prob cat 5. And you could pretty easily run a wired connection upstairs by changing the socket.

I have a cable plugged into the wall that pops out in the attic. I popped a 8 port switch there and connected all the rooms to it. Now each room has a port directly wired.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 462 ✭✭TetraSonic55

Google send you an email with a discount code for the Stadia premier edition. That code essentially brings the price to €0

You won't get an email to redeem the free stadia premier edition until very close to the release date

• Advertisement

Google send you an email with a discount code for the Stadia premier edition. That code essentially brings the price to €0

You won't get an email to redeem the free stadia premier edition until very close to the release date

Do you get charged immediately or when the Stadia dispatches?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

machalla wrote: »
    There are rumours that google will likely shut this down

Unless it is Google Search, Gmail or Pictures or YT, Google will eventually shut it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭recyclops

now this offer may tempt may, was going to pick up RE8 on series X anyway so this may be worth the test

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Setanter

Does this come with a standard controller as well as the game controller?

Setanter wrote: »

I believe it would just come with the standard Stadia controller and a Chromecast Ultra, all you need really.

Setanter wrote: »

Only the Chromecast with Google TV version comes with a remote control if that's what you're referring to.

Stadia and Chromecast Ultra arrived today. Very easy setup, took about 10 minutes.
    Was happy to see it gave me 3 months Pro trial and €10 voucher for my first game purchase.

First impressions are good. I've got Virgin broadband here and speeds are around 350mb/s down, 35mb/s up. Just using the wifi from the hub 3.0 router for now but I will connect an ethernet cable to the chromecast when I get a spare one.

Tried 2 games this evening, both free on the Pro subscription. Things weren't too promising with F1 2020 which I tried first. In the menus there seemed to be some buffering at times and the audio stuttered occasionally. However when I got into the gameplay it was fine for the most part. One or two little stutters during 8 laps of Bahrain. To be honest it didn't really affect the gameplay but it would probably be annoying if it was a regular occurence. Might be better with an ethernet cable, though the chromecast is right next to the router.

Then tried Hitman. This played flawlessly. Like a console but with shorter load times. You honestly wouldn't know that you were streaming the game.

Graphics and general visuals looked great for both games, presumably it was 4k but I didn't actually check. One minor complaint would be that onscreen hints in terms of controller layout were tiny even on my 55" screen so it was almost impossible to read them. That might be adjustable in settings somewhere. But it's basically an Xbox controller and the layout is familiar to anyone who's ever played an Xbox. One minor annoyance is that you can't browse the game store on the TV, that all has to be done on the App. First world problems.

I will be using my €10 voucher to buy RDR2 at some point this week so I might check back in with an update after I've been using Stadia for a while and get a better idea of how it's going after some longer term use.

Thanks again OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Balls back up to 99.99.
    Was hoping the deal would last until payday. Ah well.

Balls back up to 99.99.
    Was hoping the deal would last until payday. Ah well.

The Resident Evil deal is still going.

https://stadia.google.com/games/resident-evil-village?

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/10495261?hl=en-GB#zippy=%2Cireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

wait...for 69.99 I get RE8, a chromecast ultra and a controller? Sign me up!
    Do they send the hardware earlier or just before release of the game?

Advertisement