Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
04-05-2021, 10:03   #46
farmer2018
Registered User
 
farmer2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 366
Would lads try clean stone with no drainage pipe?
farmer2018 is offline  
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 11:18   #47
tellmeabit
Registered User
 
tellmeabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnChadwick View Post
Have a 4 inch drainage pipe coming out of what must be a spring underground, and it's constantly running. I want to use this water for cattle further downhill and not racking my brain how to get a 4 inch down to a 1 inch pipe. Does anyone know how to do this?
I have land drain from spring flowing into a blue barrel in the dyke with 3/4 attachment about 6 inches from the bottom of barrel to try stop and mud going into trough.
I should be heading to that field over next few day ,will try get pic. Have used 20ltr drums before on their belly if didn't have much fall to work with.
tellmeabit is offline  
04-05-2021, 12:03   #48
2smiggy
Registered User
 
2smiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer2018 View Post
Would lads try clean stone with no drainage pipe?
110 mm perforated drainage pipe costs between 6/7 euros a metre. If you go to the bother digging and stoning it, you are better off putting in the pipe.
2smiggy is offline  
Thanks from:
04-05-2021, 12:17   #49
farmer2018
Registered User
 
farmer2018's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smiggy View Post
110 mm perforated drainage pipe costs between 6/7 euros a metre. If you go to the bother digging and stoning it, you are better off putting in the pipe.
€12 a 6m pipe is the best quote I got.
farmer2018 is offline  
04-05-2021, 12:37   #50
2smiggy
Registered User
 
2smiggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer2018 View Post
€12 a 6m pipe is the best quote I got.
my mistake, just looked it up there, it was €9.25 an 6 metre length, but that was buying 400 pipes together and nearly 2 years ago since I got them.

Edit: 9.25 plus VAT
2smiggy is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 13:58   #51
Blaaz_
Registered User
 
Blaaz_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer2018 View Post
Would lads try clean stone with no drainage pipe?
Is it water bubbling up or surface water not soaking is the problem?
Blaaz_ is offline  
04-05-2021, 15:37   #52
JohnChadwick
Registered User
 
JohnChadwick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmeabit View Post
I have land drain from spring flowing into a blue barrel in the dyke with 3/4 attachment about 6 inches from the bottom of barrel to try stop and mud going into trough.
I should be heading to that field over next few day ,will try get pic. Have used 20ltr drums before on their belly if didn't have much fall to work with.
Pic would be great. Just wondering how to seal around the inlet and outlet pipe.

The dyke I have gets a good flow of water so any tips to keep the catch barrel in place would be a help.
JohnChadwick is offline  
05-05-2021, 00:16   #53
Good loser
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smiggy View Post
110 mm perforated drainage pipe costs between 6/7 euros a metre. If you go to the bother digging and stoning it, you are better off putting in the pipe.
I only ever use 80 mm pipe.

Years ago did a 7 acre field with a high water table without pipes and it did fine.
We heaped 2" loads and 4" loads together and filled drains dug with a drainage bucket to within 7" of surface. Worked fine but took an awful lot of stone.

Can still see line of drains - slightly depressed in certain light conditions and burnt look in very dry weather.

Since then (15 plus years) have used pipe, stone and terram/weedout.
Good loser is offline  
05-05-2021, 21:25   #54
SuperTortoise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,183
What's used to cap the pipe say if you wanted to drain a spring in the middle of a field?
SuperTortoise is online now  
Advertisement
08-05-2021, 20:42   #55
Good loser
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
What do you mean by 'cap the pipe'?
Good loser is offline  
08-05-2021, 23:56   #56
tellmeabit
Registered User
 
tellmeabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnChadwick View Post
Pic would be great. Just wondering how to seal around the inlet and outlet pipe.

The dyke I have gets a good flow of water so any tips to keep the catch barrel in place would be a help.
I just have a bit if white pvc pipe coming from a little mud square at the end of the drain pipe. Like 6 inches high. White pipe is just off being level maybe a 2 inch drop over the 10foot or however long they come. Then into the blue barrel. What are they 200ltr. That's on as few flat stones so water can flow around it. The weight Keeps it already. Have another roughter set up that I was getting cleaned out today. Will get pics of both tomooow. Sorry had forgotten about it
tellmeabit is offline  
09-05-2021, 08:48   #57
PoorFarmer
Registered User
 
PoorFarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnChadwick View Post
Have a 4 inch drainage pipe coming out of what must be a spring underground, and it's constantly running. I want to use this water for cattle further downhill and not racking my brain how to get a 4 inch down to a 1 inch pipe. Does anyone know how to do this?
I have an IBC filling from a spring but there is a good fall where it is positioned. Have a 3/4" pipe adaptor on the outlet. The excess just flows out the top.
Will need a bigger plastic trough than you would normally use or else go with concrete as it will be very slow to fill and the cattle will knock it about scratching.
PoorFarmer is offline  
10-05-2021, 13:23   #58
SuperTortoise
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good loser View Post
What do you mean by 'cap the pipe'?
If I ran a pipe from a spring into an open drain, what goes on the end of the pipe where the spring is to stop it filling up with clay?
SuperTortoise is online now  
10-05-2021, 14:56   #59
White Clover
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTortoise View Post
If I ran a pipe from a spring into an open drain, what goes on the end of the pipe where the spring is to stop it filling up with clay?
Make a box around it with a few field stones.
White Clover is online now  
Thanks from:
10-05-2021, 19:44   #60
Good loser
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTortoise View Post
If I ran a pipe from a spring into an open drain, what goes on the end of the pipe where the spring is to stop it filling up with clay?
Wrap the end of the pipe with that Terram or Weed Out. These membranes let the water through while holding back the clay.
Good loser is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet