04-05-2021, 10:03   #46
farmer2018

Would lads try clean stone with no drainage pipe?
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 11:18   #47
tellmeabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnChadwick View Post
Have a 4 inch drainage pipe coming out of what must be a spring underground, and it's constantly running. I want to use this water for cattle further downhill and not racking my brain how to get a 4 inch down to a 1 inch pipe. Does anyone know how to do this?
I have land drain from spring flowing into a blue barrel in the dyke with 3/4 attachment about 6 inches from the bottom of barrel to try stop and mud going into trough.
I should be heading to that field over next few day ,will try get pic. Have used 20ltr drums before on their belly if didn't have much fall to work with.
04-05-2021, 12:03   #48
2smiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmer2018 View Post
110 mm perforated drainage pipe costs between 6/7 euros a metre. If you go to the bother digging and stoning it, you are better off putting in the pipe.
Thanks from:
04-05-2021, 12:17   #49
farmer2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smiggy View Post
110 mm perforated drainage pipe costs between 6/7 euros a metre. If you go to the bother digging and stoning it, you are better off putting in the pipe.
€12 a 6m pipe is the best quote I got.
04-05-2021, 12:37   #50
2smiggy

Quote:
€12 a 6m pipe is the best quote I got.
my mistake, just looked it up there, it was €9.25 an 6 metre length, but that was buying 400 pipes together and nearly 2 years ago since I got them.

Edit: 9.25 plus VAT
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-05-2021, 13:58   #51
Blaaz_

Quote:
Is it water bubbling up or surface water not soaking is the problem?
04-05-2021, 15:37   #52
JohnChadwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmeabit View Post
I have land drain from spring flowing into a blue barrel in the dyke with 3/4 attachment about 6 inches from the bottom of barrel to try stop and mud going into trough.
I should be heading to that field over next few day ,will try get pic. Have used 20ltr drums before on their belly if didn't have much fall to work with.
Pic would be great. Just wondering how to seal around the inlet and outlet pipe.

The dyke I have gets a good flow of water so any tips to keep the catch barrel in place would be a help.
05-05-2021, 00:16   #53
Good loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2smiggy View Post
I only ever use 80 mm pipe.

Years ago did a 7 acre field with a high water table without pipes and it did fine.
We heaped 2" loads and 4" loads together and filled drains dug with a drainage bucket to within 7" of surface. Worked fine but took an awful lot of stone.

Can still see line of drains - slightly depressed in certain light conditions and burnt look in very dry weather.

Since then (15 plus years) have used pipe, stone and terram/weedout.
05-05-2021, 21:25   #54
SuperTortoise

What's used to cap the pipe say if you wanted to drain a spring in the middle of a field?
Advertisement
08-05-2021, 20:42   #55
Good loser

What do you mean by 'cap the pipe'?
08-05-2021, 23:56   #56
tellmeabit

Quote:
Pic would be great. Just wondering how to seal around the inlet and outlet pipe.

The dyke I have gets a good flow of water so any tips to keep the catch barrel in place would be a help.
I just have a bit if white pvc pipe coming from a little mud square at the end of the drain pipe. Like 6 inches high. White pipe is just off being level maybe a 2 inch drop over the 10foot or however long they come. Then into the blue barrel. What are they 200ltr. That's on as few flat stones so water can flow around it. The weight Keeps it already. Have another roughter set up that I was getting cleaned out today. Will get pics of both tomooow. Sorry had forgotten about it
09-05-2021, 08:48   #57
PoorFarmer

Quote:
Have a 4 inch drainage pipe coming out of what must be a spring underground, and it's constantly running. I want to use this water for cattle further downhill and not racking my brain how to get a 4 inch down to a 1 inch pipe. Does anyone know how to do this?
I have an IBC filling from a spring but there is a good fall where it is positioned. Have a 3/4" pipe adaptor on the outlet. The excess just flows out the top.
Will need a bigger plastic trough than you would normally use or else go with concrete as it will be very slow to fill and the cattle will knock it about scratching.
10-05-2021, 13:23   #58
SuperTortoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good loser View Post
What do you mean by 'cap the pipe'?
If I ran a pipe from a spring into an open drain, what goes on the end of the pipe where the spring is to stop it filling up with clay?
10-05-2021, 14:56   #59
White Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTortoise View Post
If I ran a pipe from a spring into an open drain, what goes on the end of the pipe where the spring is to stop it filling up with clay?
Make a box around it with a few field stones.
Thanks from:
10-05-2021, 19:44   #60
Good loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTortoise View Post
Wrap the end of the pipe with that Terram or Weed Out. These membranes let the water through while holding back the clay.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion