Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Hurling League 2021 discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

blackcard wrote: »
    Having watched 3 matches today, it confirmed that hurling has changed as a spectacle. Hurlers are fitter, stronger, more athletic and more skillful. I am a traditionalist who misses puckouts being rained down on the half back line and the half forward line. The contest between a full back and a full forward. The man on man contest.

I don't get excited by scores from a hundred meters out. Nor by 2 forwards taking on 3 or 4 backs. Nor by players running off the shoulder and throwing the ball. Nor by the constant overcarrying of the ball. Nor by players winning uncontested ball. Nor by games where point scoring is so easy that the value of a goal is being devalued.

Think I will just watch club hurling and underage matches

Ya riveting stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,880 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Were there any sin bins today ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

blackcard wrote: »
    Having watched 3 matches today, it confirmed that hurling has changed as a spectacle. Hurlers are fitter, stronger, more athletic and more skillful. I am a traditionalist who misses puckouts being rained down on the half back line and the half forward line. The contest between a full back and a full forward. The man on man contest.

I don't get excited by scores from a hundred meters out. Nor by 2 forwards taking on 3 or 4 backs. Nor by players running off the shoulder and throwing the ball. Nor by the constant overcarrying of the ball. Nor by players winning uncontested ball. Nor by games where point scoring is so easy that the value of a goal is being devalued.

Think I will just watch club hurling and underage matches

It's mad. I was looking forward to the Tipp-Limerick game all week, and while it was close, I just found it a bit by the numbers and robotic almost. Even started browsing my phone and checking the soccer scores, something that I would never do no matter what sport I am watching. Didn't even watch the second half.

I know the league is always second fiddle to championship, but for some reason the hurling league in particular has dwindled in recent years. Although I wonder how much an impact no crowds are having on the games. Massive I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah the action wasn't too hectic today but hard to expect fireworks with no challenge games, 3rd level games or pre season competitions as a build up, no crowd obviously taking from it but hopefully later in the summer some spectators can attend, pity my father is fully vaccinated as of April 21, he'd love to be able to go to Wexford Park tomorrow.

Yeah the action wasn't too hectic today but hard to expect fireworks with no challenge games, 3rd level games or pre season competitions as a build up, no crowd obviously taking from it but hopefully later in the summer some spectators can attend, pity my father is fully vaccinated as of April 21, he'd love to be able to go to Wexford Park tomorrow.

Government dont have the balls to try and make something from this

Easily could admit max 1000 supporters a game, have the ticket be both the admission and the proof of vaccination (PDF mobile or print out) but it would create so many issues so its the blanket 'no spectators allowed'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Deiselurker

Yeah the modern inter county game is not that exciting. Games were a lot better 10 or 20 years ago. No goals in the Limerick v Tipperary game and very few attempts at goal. It has turned into a point scoring contest. Is it time to bring in 4 points for a goal? The new advantage rule is a joke. Why did it need to be changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 Cool Hand Lucy

Agree. Parents used to love heading off to the match after Mass. They’d make a great day out of it. Hopefully, like your father, they won’t have much longer to wait. Great to have the hurling back, even if we’re only following on the Radio/TV.

Yeah the modern inter county game is not that exciting. Games were a lot better 10 or 20 years ago. No goals in the Limerick v Tipperary game and very few attempts at goal. It has turned into a point scoring contest. Is it time to bring in 4 points for a goal? The new advantage rule is a joke. Why did it need to be changed?

Ide say refs will be told to go back to the old way or close to it after this weekend. Limerick got an actual score and that wasnt seen as an advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭Rosita

There'll be some who'll have a seizure at the suggestion it was better years ago but, yeah, it's all by numbers now and boring enough. Not sure four points for a goal will make any difference when teams can expect 25 points+ every game anyway. A goal was a significant score 15 years ago when 16/17 points were scored by All Ireland winners. I see Clare had 0-16 at halftime today.

Barring a miracle it'll be a Limerick - Kilkenny league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Sin binning in the Donegal v Roscommon match leading to a penalty for Roscommon.

• Advertisement

Fair ****s Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Great win for Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Aontroim Abú.

Why'd you come back, Cheddar? Oh lord...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

formerlyET wrote: »
    Yeah, blame the ref. When Limerick in every game in last year's championship repeatedly pulled down players in on goal or players who broke through the half back line. Every game. It's football tactic brought in by Kinnerk.
    Ref was biased!
    The amount of frees were a result of the amount of fouls committed by Limerick. Quite simple.
    If it was just one game it would be one thing - but it's a clear pattern of fouls in every game they play -
    1. Taking down players if any team gets a goal chance
    2. Foul the player who breaks the line.
    3. Foul teams in their half-back line where it's hard to score so we can reset and they can't flow.

They do it every game. If they keep getting away with it every team will do it. And we will have one terrible eyesore on our hands. It's a shame they have such terrible tactics with the players they have.

You got 4 likes for that balderdash. Let's see if you criticise others this year or have you just Limerick in your sights. Tipp got at least 5 'non frees ' yesterday . Lots of dives and just poor reffing. He's a mediocre ref from a county that's gone soft. Hurling is already a fairly tame game physically compared to rugby. Its the likes of you that ll turn it into a bad game of hockey.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

You got 4 likes for that balderdash. Let's see if you criticise others this year or have you just Limerick in your sights. Tipp got at least 5 'non frees ' yesterday . Lots of dives and just poor reffing. He's a mediocre ref from a county that's gone soft. Hurling is already a fairly tame game physically compared to rugby. Its the likes of you that ll turn it into a bad game of hockey.

I cant believe you are trying to compare rugby and hurling to attempt to prove your point!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Mike Ashley hurling v Waterford has started at a decent pace, good effort not much quality so far

Rugby is going through the exact same changes and soul searching over dangerous play so cop on to yourself there now

You got 4 likes for that

Only 4 was it? Give me another update tomorrow, I never bother checking. Sound. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Some great throw passes for that goal......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Mike Ashley hurling v Waterford has started at a decent pace, good effort not much quality so far

Lots of rustiness with severe lack of match sharpness - weather conditions not helping - similar to what I've seen in the other games. I'd imagine things will improve in a few weeks.

Oof the marking by Waterford for the Cork goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Some great throw passes for that goal......

To me it seems the ratio of throws to legitimate hand passes is nuts. It's pretty much at the stage where it's noticeable when a clearly legitmate hand pass is made.

It's at the point where the powers-that-be might as well change the rules to allow blatant throws given the lack of enforcement by the refs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭blackcard

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    To me it seems the ratio of throws to legitimate hand passes is nuts. It's pretty much at the stage where it's noticeable when a clearly legitmate hand pass is made.

It's at the point where the powers-that-be might as well change the rules to allow blatant throws given the lack of enforcement by the refs.

They should go the other way. Unless you can see clear distance between the hand and ball, presume it is a throw and give a free. There might be a few frees given for legitimate passes but players will learn that a pass has to be obvious

Did anyone else think they had switched on Camogie when they saw those all blue Clare kits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Rugby is going through the exact same changes and soul searching over dangerous play so cop on to yourself there now

God only knows what you'd have rugby looking like if you got your way. You'd have em all in Sumo suits and helmets.. listen there's plenty of people who agree with you. Youd prefer if it was non touch.. I prefer to see people getting flattened.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

God only knows what you'd have rugby looking like if you got your way. You'd have em all in Sumo suits and helmets.. listen there's plenty of people who agree with you. Youd prefer if it was non touch.. I prefer to see people getting flattened.

Where did I say what way I want rugby I never once lined out how I would like rugby.

But the people who run rugby (not me) have been changing rules and interpretations for quite a while now to combat dangerous play especially in breakdowns and tackles so much like hurling are trying to what you would probably call soft.

Tell me was it me or the rugby refs who keep sending off Aki and POM for all them hard tackles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Where did I say what way I want rugby I never once lined out how I would like rugby.

But the people who run rugby (not me) have been changing rules and interpretations for quite a while now to combat dangerous play especially in breakdowns and tackles so much like hurling are trying to what you would probably call soft.

Tell me was it me or the rugby refs who keep sending off Aki and POM for all them hard tackles
    It not for hard tackles its for contact to the head!
    They are trying to mitigate against concussions and brain damage which is not an issue in the GAA!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭prishtinaboy99

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Lots of rustiness with severe lack of match sharpness - weather conditions not helping - similar to what I've seen in the other games. I'd imagine things will improve in a few weeks.

Oof the marking by Waterford for the Cork goal.

Waterford’s Championship 15 is fairly nailed on, God only knows what Corks will be and I’m not sure God knows either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pajoguy

lim4ev wrote: »
    I'm a limerick man but a hurling man first can limerick be cynical? Yes of course but lads the frees are killing the game I'm not going to argue the rights and wrongs of every decision but I would argue 50% of all frees are unnecessary it's not just in limerick games either plus the ball being so light no goals or goal mouth drama so many super talented teams servingupthis drivel. In fairness to the ref in the kilkenny match he let it run somewhat I'm not one of these guys that thinks unless a guy is killed that the whistle shouldn't be blown either just some of the frees are so soft its unnatural

I thought myself 3 or 4 of the frees tipp got just because the tipp man got bottled up by 3 or 4 limerick hurlers. Its puke hurling when limerick show this tenacity but hunger when Tipp or somebody else does it. The cats were cynical for years. Now that Limerick have a physical team and players cant break tackles as easy as they used to thats puke hurling and the game is in trouble.
    Just like when kilkenny were on top, cork on top, tipp on top other teams just had to up the ante to get that level. The fact the team on top at the moment arent one of the holy trinity is grating on a few. Dont panic Limerick wont be on top forever..... Its the nature of the game. Nobody stays on top forever.

Advertisement