Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/314380

O'Riordan cleared to play against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/314380

O'Riordan cleared to play against us.

That's good to see, would have been hard on him to miss out due to permission being denied.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Fwiw I was just chatting to a work colleague from Tipp and mentioned the hurlers scenario and he reckoned three or four of them would easily make it on to the squad with the potential of a couple pushing for starting places

That would be very detrimental to team morale imo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He wasnt involved in the league campaign. He didnt play v Clare, didnt play v Limerick, and is on record himself as saying he asked for special permission to play in the final.

Thats no slight on the man himself, but personally Id feel a bit sore if I was left out while a professional athlete took my place. Maybe my pettiness is not shared by the Tipp squad

He had to ask for special permission, he is contracted to Sydney Swans and wouldn't have been allowed to play if they didn't give him the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Paddico

Why are you going to Thurles ?

Football is concentrated on the south of Tipp, places like Clonmel, not Thurles.

Cop on.

Clonmel and the surrounding parishes are in full lock down. You can come and go freely but you need to prove your not from Mayo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

km79 wrote: »
    That would be very detrimental to team morale imo

Dont think it will happen at this stage but talking to Tipp lads they could have 3 potential starters in John Meagher,Seamus Kennedy and John McGrath. A lot of talent there that hasn't been called on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't see how that could happen. It's more of a wishful thinking scenario from a Tipp fan. They would be against GAA footie players who have been playing and training football 3 or 4 nights/days a week for years. Not possible they can just switch it on just like that. They may the fitness of an intercounty footballer, but completely different skillset.
    As a Mayo fan, it would be great if the Tipp manager were to go out on a limb and do something so dramatic. But unfortunately he won't.

I don't see how that could happen. It's more of a wishful thinking scenario from a Tipp fan. They would be against GAA footie players who have been playing and training football 3 or 4 nights/days a week for years. Not possible they can just switch it on just like that. They may the fitness of an intercounty footballer, but completely different skillset.
    As a Mayo fan, it would be great if the Tipp manager were to go out on a limb and do something so dramatic. But unfortunately he won't.

I think it’s does a great disservice to the current footballing panel members
    It’s is prob from the hurling mind sight within that county that hurling is a far more skillful game and anybody can pick up a football and play
    I’ve heard it plenty times at work in Galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

It’s is prob from the hurling mind sight within that county that hurling is a far more skillful game and anybody can pick up a football and play

That's probably a fair theory. I can't imagine there is any serious thought being given to it unless the manager decides to do a Gavin Duffy type smoke screen or something.

John McGrath was on that minor team that beat that star-studded Dublin team in the final.

Also lost the club football final this year as well as the hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Your talking as if they haven't played football, they aren't just hurlers they are dual player with plenty football experience. Meagher was FB for Tipp footballers last year. Both Kennedy and McGrath have won multiple Senior football championships and would be automatic inclusions if they also didnt hurl for Tipp.

Its not a question of if they would improve the team, its a similar moral question as to that of the inclusion of the AFL player.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Listening to a few GAA podcasts since the weekend..... apparently there's a possibility that a few Tipp hurlers might be drafted into the football squad to bolster things up a bit (!)

Should we start worrying yet?? There's some serious units on that team

id say that bs, any links or just spreading pointless gossip?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

I think at this stage it would be more of a shock if the dual players weren't included.

It would be crazy for Tipp to ignore available players for the sake of potentially bruising a few egos.

Anyway, not Mayo's problem either way.... we'll surely have enough to beat them no matter how many Aussie Rules and hurlers they draft in

• Registered Users Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Cartman78

id say that bs, any links or just spreading pointless gossip?

First I heard of it was Kieran Donaghy on OTB podcast, then I ran it by a few of the lads at work (I work for a company based in Tipp) and they said it was probably a goer alright.

So yeah... probably bs now that I think about it :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭statto25

Same here. A lad I worked with from Portumna used to say "Football is only for lads who can't hurl"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

TBH it all smells of a load of nonsense.

Not very credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭giveitholly

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBH it all smells of a load of nonsense.

Not very credible.

You are right,it won't happen,might be a small possibility of John Meagher because he was with the footballers pre-covid but would still be surprised if he was called up

https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/james-horan-delighted-with-emerging-mayo-talent/

Tipperary reverting back to their normal jersey so as per previous clashes happily it appears we'll be wearing our traditional colours

Aidan O Shea on OTB shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

I sincerely hope that Mayo have the right attitude heading into the Tipperary Game. Mayo have been warned, Kerry, Cork and Donegal went into their last games with the wrong attitude and all lost. Darragh O Se wrote "Tipp out fought and outsmarted Cork. Best favourites are the ones who play as underdogs. They take nothing for granted. They play fast, accurate and are ruthless" Tipp turned over the Cork forwards 8 times in 1st half and 15 times in total. In 2016 Mayo played poorly against Tipp, they won by 5 points in the end ( Tipp's centre half back was black carded after 10 minutes and Conor O She scored a very lucky goal for Mayo). Tipp will come into this game next Sunday full of confidence as Munster Champions. Jim Mc Guinness wrote "Dublin work like dogs and are ravenous for the ball". I wish Mayo play like that on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Cork were a very poor team, poor against Kerry and worse against Tipp, I wouldn’t read too much into the Munster final

Tipperary have two forwards, if we can contain them then we’ll be a long way towards winning this game.

Mayo should win this pulling up, of course we won’t but hopefully we get 4-7 points ahead and don’t give Tipp a suckers chance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Tipp have an edge on us in the middle, imo. O'Riordan cleared to play and had a good game the last day. Our kickouts are a lottery and I think Tipp will look to contest them as much as they can.

An advantage we have is that I think Tipp were looking a bit tired towards the end of their last game and if we can hit them hard with a running game, run a few of the key men ragged, we might have an edge in fitness levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I think physically we’ll have too much for them, other than O’Riordan, Horan might even decide he needs Aidan out to compete with him

But again I think Cork made him look good. No doubt he’s an amazing athlete but we’ve seen first hand that it’s tough to carry your football skills when you’re playing Aussie rules, he’s five years gone. He should be able to compete with actual footballers, even more so when you consider he’s only had two months to get up to speed

We saw Fox winning a dirty ball against cork to set up a score. With McLoughlin, Diarmuid, ROD there I think it’ll be Mayo winning those breaks

Green&Red wrote: »
    I think physically we’ll have too much for them, other than O’Riordan, Horan might even decide he needs Aidan out to compete with him

But again I think Cork made him look good. No doubt he’s an amazing athlete but we’ve seen first hand that it’s tough to carry your football skills when you’re playing Aussie rules, he’s five years gone. He should be able to compete with actual footballers, even more so when you consider he’s only had two months to get up to speed

We saw Fox winning a dirty ball against cork to set up a score. With McLoughlin, Diarmuid, ROD there I think it’ll be Mayo winning those breaks

If I remember correct Fox played puck with us that boiling afternoon down in Thurles. Extremely intelligent footballer.

David Gough is the ref.

Well pleased with that appointment as I find he is very fair and reads games very well. Also constantly on the watch for pulling off the ball.

Gary Boylan has gone back to the LOI with Galway.

Looks like Elvery's are pulling sponsorship from McHale Park and also the slot on the back of the jerseys due to Covid issues. I'd heard this rumour a few weeks ago but my dad has heard it from an ex county board officer this evening so seems to have some legs.

Looks like Elvery's are pulling sponsorship from McHale Park and also the slot on the back of the jerseys due to Covid issues. I'd heard this rumour a few weeks ago but my dad has heard it from an ex county board officer this evening so seems to have some legs.

Bad bad news if true.

As though the coffers weren't under enough pressure with the lack of matchday revenues.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Bad bad news if true.

As though the coffers weren't under enough pressure with the lack of matchday revenues.

The lads appointed by Croker to oversee our finances are going to have a hard job getting a decent sponsor for the naming rights to McHale Park. The back of the jersey shouldn't be as hard but it will be at a hugely reduced amount due to the circumstances. Failure to properly approach sponsorship coming back to bite them on the ar$e now.

• Advertisement

Did we not hear this same rumor last year ?
    And the year before ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement