Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tiger Woods Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

jobless wrote: »
    Anyone recommend any of the books written about tiger?

I just finished the Jeff Benedict/Keteyian one that was published last year and couldn’t put it down.
    Gives great insight (assuming it’s factually correct) into his parents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭iancairns

HighLine wrote: »
    That's really good, well done. Try and send it to some golf related social media channels.. I'm sure they would love to share it.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Tiger skipping Wells Fargo and won't play again until Bethpage.

This video of him walking very gingerly yesterday might be a concern....

https://twitter.com/GOLFTV/status/1121451256164302850

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I had that thought myself when I watched it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Maybe it wasn't just gum tiger was chewing.

Paul Kimmage: 'Your heroes are chewing CBD but we'd rather you didn't know'

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/paul-kimmage-your-heroes-are-chewing-cbd-but-wed-rather-you-didnt-know-38056361.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tiger Woods has to pay the price for his Masters victory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Bumped the thread just for this
    Some outrageous shots
    https://youtu.be/SxuqU8FKiPQ

Only 5 months until The Masters!

The swing 97’-19’
    https://youtu.be/wnfymmq-OMU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

^
    I love the recovery shots where he follows it up with a chip-in or holes out a putt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Has anybody seen these Taylor Made videos?
    Found 3 of them so far.
    Tiger as I’ve never seen him....almost normal! & still brilliant

https://youtu.be/1wN0iOtsqi4
    https://youtu.be/Nd00f4nq_ks

https://youtu.be/NKAm8hJBe08
    This one is gas. I’ve no idea what they are on about but Mcilroy and co. all nod along.

• Advertisement

^ Really reminds me of McIlroys swing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Playing the Memorial next week, lovely. Thats the one hosted by Nicklaus I think. Coincidence or Tiger paying respect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Just heard a stat that Tiger had 43 wins before he missed his second cut as a pro. If true that's insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Trampas

El Sueño wrote: »
    Just heard a stat that Tiger had 43 wins before he missed his second cut as a pro. If true that's insane.

How many events had a cut. I’m sure it’s plenty and still amazing stat but it’s a true picture. I’d remove all events with no cut along with match play.

Probably out there somewhere on the internet

Trampas wrote: »
    How many events had a cut. I’m sure it’s plenty and still amazing stat but it’s a true picture. I’d remove all events with no cut along with match play.

Probably out there somewhere on the internet

142 tournaments of which 111 had a cut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Stat I heard last weekend which I thought was unreal is Tiger has more majors than missed cuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Stat I heard last weekend which I thought was unreal is Tiger has more majors than missed cuts!

As at The Open last year, he missed 20 cuts so that isn't true. I presume you heard a slightly different stat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

bren2001 wrote:
    As at The Open last year, he missed 20 cuts so that isn't true. I presume you heard a slightly different stat.

Oops apoloi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Oops apoloi

I think it was over the first 5 years of his career or something like that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Maybe more Major wins than Major cuts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That stat looks awfully familiar :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

HBO have a lot of documentary trailers out at the moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

HBO have a lot of documentary trailers out at the moment...

Are the only on you tube?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Tiger going to play with his son Charlie in the Parent and Child major championship thingy in a couple of weeks. It’s televised aswell.

Could we be seeing the next stage of the Woods golfing empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Some videos appearing on twitter of tiger and his son out practicing ahead of this weekends event.

The sons swing is already so good. Even has the club twirl.

https://twitter.com/championstour/status/1339568863407697920?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Some videos appearing on twitter of tiger and his son out practicing ahead of this weekends event.

The sons swing is already so good. Even has the club twirl.

https://twitter.com/championstour/status/1339568863407697920?s=21

Yea, the son has a great looking swing alright. There are loads of videos and pics on social media on this, one of which has Tiger talking seriously about how they want to win this thing. The purse is something like a million dollars I read. The whole thing is a bit much really. The son is only 11 FFS. You'd hope that Tiger isn't putting pressure on the son as much as Earl put pressure on Tiger...

From the press I've read so far Tiger is putting the "fun" emphasis on Charlie's golf participation, but sure if he's like his father maybe it's Charlie pushing for the win, according to JT Charlies wants to win every time, good luck to him.
    Have to say I get a lot of joy when out golfing and seeing the younger crew out there enjoying themselves, a bit jealous too as I didn't start hacking my way around until my 30's

I am actually looking forward to this and am not really into these types of events. Anyone would have a top of the range swing if Tiger was your dad in fairness. Harrington is also playing with his son. Think you have to be a major winner to be eligible to enter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Yea, the son has a great looking swing alright. There are loads of videos and pics on social media on this, one of which has Tiger talking seriously about how they want to win this thing. The purse is something like a million dollars I read. The whole thing is a bit much really. The son is only 11 FFS. You'd hope that Tiger isn't putting pressure on the son as much as Earl put pressure on Tiger...

Was Earl really that bad or did he become as scapegoat of sorts during Tiger's troubles?

For sure, he was (extremely) ambitious for his son, but I think that's much more common in America than here. I think Earl did ok by Tiger in the end, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Slightly off topic, but seems a reasonable place for a plug given the event in question...if you haven't watched it, you should take a look at "The Short Game" on Netflix. Great little doc about kids playing golf and plenty of pushy parenting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

benny79 wrote: »
    I am actually looking forward to this and am not really into these types of events. Anyone would have a top of the range swing if Tiger was your dad in fairness. Harrington is also playing with his son. Think you have to be a major winner to be eligible to enter.

I thought that too, but if that was the case what was Kuchar doing in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I thought that too, but if that was the case what was Kuchar doing in it?

Players champions could play as well

For those interested/with access, HBO have started a two part documentary on Tiger

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12688688/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

slave1 wrote: »
    For those interested/with access, HBO have started a two part documentary on Tiger

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12688688/

Apparently his agent isn't too happy about it? Think i saw a quote somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rooney30

etxp wrote: »
    Apparently his agent isn't too happy about it? Think i saw a quote somewhere.

He was no doubt out manoeuvred out of a few quid

rooney30 wrote: »
    He was no doubt out manoeuvred out of a few quid

I dont think Tiger likes anything writing or shown about him & his private life! Especially if hes not involved. He went mad over the Hank Hanely book and a few others. Plus not much was know about him and his private life till the scandal blow the lid off.. Even nowadays you dont here much non golf related unless you maybe live across the pond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anyone know how to watch. I'd pay to see. Dont want to get a channel for a year or anything crazy like that.

But it is kinda a must watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Anyone know how to watch. I'd pay to see. Dont want to get a channel for a year or anything crazy like that.

But it is kinda a must watch.

HBO show, so I'd expect it to appear on sky documentaries soon enough. So now tv or sky if you are patient!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Just watched the first part of it, it’s absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭djr15

maddness wrote: »
    Just watched the first part of it, it’s absolutely brilliant.

Any info on where/how we can see this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭lowelife

Watched both parts now, "acquired"
    Its a good mirror of the books I have read up to this point

Hank Haney's "The Big Miss"
    Jeff-Benedict "Tiger-Woods"
    Michael Bamberger "The Second Life of Tiger Woods"

To name the big 3

3 hours isnt anyway to condense his life to this point, it could be almost a serial.

If you get a chance to see it...do!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Lip Out

The first part was good. The majority of the second part was gutter trash but it did finish strongly after the first hour when it resumed to talk about golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Can't wait to see it - but was a mistake to make it so short.

Easily could have made it as long and as interesting as Michael Jordon one. I'm far more interested about him as a person - as opposed to the golf stuff. I know the golf stuff.

All the books mentioned make him out to be a very flawed human being - not all his fault, but he seemed to be around a good few very poor influences - not to mention being famous is a complete bizarre life to start with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,569 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Easily could have made it as long and as interesting as Michael Jordon one.

I think the MJ one worked so well as you had Jordan himself speaking in every episode as well as people close to him. With Tiger he's never going to agree to sit down to something like this and not a chance anyone in his inner circle will break ranks. SO I think if it's 8x hour long episodes of just people talking at/about him with no inside insight it could get boring quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Any word on when this doc will be available here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Lip Out wrote: »
    The first part was good. The majority of the second part was gutter trash but it did finish strongly after the first hour when it resumed to talk about golf.

Agreed, I much preferred the first part. It was more about the magic of his talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Any word on when this doc will be available here?

Any word on whether his doc, Anthony Galea, features in the doc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Easily could have made it as long and as interesting as Michael Jordon one.

I don't think so because there was TV cameras following him around behind the scenes for years and the documentary didn't really just focus on Jordan, but all the other team mates got good coverage.
    No chance Tiger was letting cameras follow him like that and there is not really anybody else in the team they could focus on apart from caddy obviously and maybe some token stuff with the docs/trainers/coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

The documentary is now available on demand on sky documentaries

• Advertisement
Advertisement