Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 3x06 - 'Scavengers' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
  • 19-11-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭

Discovery 3x06 - 'Scavengers'
    Folks, in relation to spoilers, you don't have to use spoiler tags in the episode threads. If someone hasn't seen the episode yet then they shouldn't be reading the thread, period. When it airs on Netflix doesn't matter. I would suggest that whoever starts the thread put a spoiler warning in the title. I'll add one to this now.

Please can we keep the discussion to the merits or not of the episode.
    And not carry forward discussion of casting choices from previous threads.

Discussion of youtube reviewers/critics means and motives?
    (Anti-treker, ME, Nerdorotic, Ketwolski)
    is stale and something littered through the seasons.

Warning: This thread will contain spoilers for the episode. Spoiler tags will not be used, so if you don't want to be spoiled read no further.

{ ** Spoilers Below ** }

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭corkie

"
    Retrofit

Following her arrival at Federation Headquarters, Discovery would undergo a three-week retrofit, with all of her systems being upgraded with 32nd century. Part of this refit included installation of programmable matter into all control stations for improved performance, converting her warp engines to be detached in nature for improved manoeuvrability and a re-designation as NCC-1031-A. Part of the refit included an upgrade to the Spore Drive control cube, converting the physical injector shunts into nanogel control interfaces.

"

NCC-1031 (original registry)
    NCC-1031-A (post 32nd Century refit)

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/USS_Discovery

As for the episode, felt like a filler, with some personality (Adira) development.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well at least she gave Saru her approval of being demoted.

Any other Captain would have lost their ****, except there seems to be no real consequences for Burnham and she can do whatever the Frack she wants.

So many plot hole questions, but i know how some people enjoy the show so i wont **** on it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

corkie wrote: »
    "
    As for the episode, felt like a filler, with some personality (Adira) development.

I've no problem with the filler episode, I do like having Trek episodes I can stick on without getting dragged into a long story line. However, it would have been a far better episode without the ludicrously small rap on the knuckles Burnham got, or at least leave out the really stupid emotional "that's okay, I think you did the right thing by mildly giving out to me" segment at the very end.

On the Adira thing, I don't care about the character, at least not as much as the show thinks I should. I care about the ship, and the fancy ship upgrades (and apparent sentience). More ship, less Adira!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That just felt dull and by the numbers to me. I'm just short of dismissing it as entirely filler, if not for that blackbox, which I suspect will matter down the line.

Given the shake up in show runners and writing, I had higher hopes for this series, but it's just not delivering.

Some small good points: Admiral Vance seems more of a pragmatic individual, and less of cardboard cutout.

Burnham gets called out and punished for her crap, something that's happened a few times to a lesser degree. I doubt we'll see a Mariner style redemption at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

SOMEONE THROW THE ****ING BOOK AT HER

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's funny to see posts bitching on a programme that you don't like, knowing full well you had to go out of your way to see it specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

If only there was some way for people to know ahead of watching the episode if it was a good episode or not.

You know....like other people watching it first and posting their thoughts online for others to read.....

GreeBo wrote: »
    3 seasons in and other than Saru, what do we know about the rest of supporting cast?
    Mudd is probably one of the more rounded characters.
    ^^^ Cross thread quote to make a point

On the Adira thing, I don't care about the character, at least not as much as the show thinks I should. I care about the ship, and the fancy ship upgrades (and apparent sentience). More ship, less Adira!

Looks like this show can not get approval on either count. People moaning not enough development of characters, then when we do, get some complaints again. I think there has been subtle development of the most/main characters across the seasons. (Other than in the face of terminating characters)

As for 'Adira': -
    Warning information following based on casting info.
    Both 'Adira' & 'Gray' have been signed up for 2 Seasons, so expect a development arc for them across the seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

It's the Burnham show again, the head clocked to one side and whispering is starting to grate, she gets away with murder and will continue to do so. Really turning me off this show

Looks like this show can not get approval on either count. People moaning not enough development of characters, then when we do, get some complaints again. I think there has been subtle development of the most/main characters across the seasons.

Fair point, but a large part of Trek for me has always been the ships, and it was a bit of a tease to start the episode talking about all the fancy upgrades, hinting that the ship would be sent on a mission, and then seeing nothing of it for the rest of the episode. I can't help it if I want to see more of what 32nd century federation ship technology is!

With regards Adira I just find the whole 16 year old super genius thing ground that Trek always goes back to and it never works well. From this episode alone it appears that Adira is not only a skilled engineer, can rebuild the interface for an experimental and millenium old drive, and also seems to be able to undertake some form of surgery/medical treatment (Stamets arm interfaces). I know there's the whole symbiont and seven lifetimes thing, but it seems a bit much and is falling into the same territory where much of the criticism of Burnham comes from, namely this one character that can do absolutely everything. This is not the fault of the actor themselves, but I absolutely hate when shows have a teen ploymath genius.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this episode a lot, but would have liked more ship and less Burnham uneccesarily validating Sarus decisions! And I am interested in where they're going with Adira, but would have happily sacrificed most of that for lovely, lovely ship shots!

Edit 2: Also, on the topic of ships, was that a Miranda class in the junkyard!!!

• Advertisement

This episode with the 'BlackBox' thing is a throwback to a opening scene in episode 3 (2:17) . The search for blackboxes hasn't been mentioned before?

An alien hands her something with a Starfleet ship registry number. There is no known ship with the number (or starting with the number) NCC-4774.
    dsc-s3-thisseason-11-768x315.jpg

Look's like they are drip feeding bits through the season.

And ship finally got the upgrades, that people where requesting in prior threads.

This episode with the 'BlackBox' thing is a throwback to a opening scene in episode 3 (2:17) . The search for blackboxes hasn't been mentioned before?

Yeah, this was the first time. Also I think they mentioned that this was the third to be located? The scene for the next episode in this weeks Ready Room is based around the information from these items, so I'm quite excited to see what they come out with. It seems (hopefully!) that we might get some answers sooner rather than later which drives the second half of the season.

^^^ Cross thread quote to make a point

Looks like this show can not get approval on either count. People moaning not enough development of characters, then when we do, get some complaints again. I think there has been subtle development of the most/main characters across the seasons. (Other than in the face of terminating characters)

Because shes been in the show for 4 episodes and she already has had more character development than characters who have been there from Episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't get the point of the whole detached nacelle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Baggly wrote: »
    SOMEONE THROW THE ****ING BOOK AT HER

Maybe BSG airlock style

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

fritzelly wrote: »

Future stuff? Or maybe a possible defence to dilithium explosion 2.0

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

No I didn't like that at all to be perfectly honest.

Like a bad episode of Doctor Who.

I'd have preferred if the writers had split this season in two - at the end of ep3 Burnham and Booker leave together to find out the cause of the Burn. The rest of the crew continue on to re-join the Federation and go on a few away missions using the Spore drive. We'd get the continuing adventures of Burnham and Booker for half an ep, the other half could be some actual Star Trek stuff.

Because shes been in the show for 4 episodes and she already has had more character development than characters who have been there from Episode 1.

In last weeks episode, she only briefly appeared. So 3 episodes. Intro, Episode dedicated to her and brief development here. As a main character for this season, it is expected they would be development.

Use of 'she'/'her' instead of 'they' for 'Adira' as hasn't come out in show yet.

As the rest of the main cast have had there development time. So let us look at a sideline character of 'Joann Owosekun' in the show since S01E03 (excluding 2 episodes pilot).

326840.jpg

'Owo' may not have had an episode (i remember) dedicated to her. But has featured subtly in lot of episodes, developing the story or other characters.

There is only so much you can squeeze into an hour, so I think they have a tricky balancing act of story versus character development.

The only other 1st episode character that may not have been developed is 'Keyla Detmer' but like 'Owo' she featured in others story. And seems to be getting some air time this season.

And 3 seasons in I couldn't name them even if you put a gun to my head.

I could probably name the Enterprise crew and I only watched that sporadically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I quite liked the scene where Books ships strafes henchmen and can then 'turn around' without actually having to turn around. Just my suspicion, but I think the detached nacelles will allow Discovery perform similar maneuvers in future episodes.

Jesus Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Future stuff? Or maybe a possible defence to dilithium explosion 2.0

The core is in the ship not the nacelle

Jesus Christ

I wouldn't have gone as far as describing that episode as the second coming of JC... but hey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Thought it was alright. Not getting the level of hate directed at the show in episode threads. It's not the best thing since sliced bread but it's a bit of fun and better than having no trek on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Solid episode! Saru really feels like he's developing into a proper Starfleet Captain.
    I thought the shipyard planet reminded me A_LOT of the start of the film The Running Man. Might have been intentional.
    Some good character and relationships development as well.

I get really Hyped when they called out Self Sealing Stem Bolts! That was brilliant! Proper nod to DS9.

I'd be interested to hear other peoples opinion on how Admiral Vance dealt with Burnham & Saru at the end?

I personally felt he was rather even handed. Disobeying direct orders is not showing good judgement, so negative point there for Burnham. But Vance does make it a point to say that if asked he might have deemed the intel opportunity worth the risk. Is that just a hypothetical? or is that his way of saying that Burnham had better judgement on the value of the potential intel gain?

With Burnham traipsing off on another unsanctioned mission there was a reputational risk to Starfleet as the admiral pointed out. So once again another negative point for Burnham. But she didn't requisition (steal) a Starfleet ship á la Kirk in the movies. She didn't wear her uniform or put any other real Starfleet member in danger. So I think the reputational risk was low here.

On the plus side if that Andorian really led an uprising against the syndicate (or just the Andorian part of it? not sure!) then he must be known to Starfleet and as such known to Admiral Vance. So to have him is potentially a good catch for Starfleet? Maybe! Also keeping in mind that Starfleet seem to be low on resources/people/ships/everything - then I think he made the correct call not immediately throwing her in the brig. Whether you agree with the writers of the show or not, her character is written as being extremely capable. Probably a good asset to have - but on a short leash maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Me either. How is that supposed to make the ship more manuravble. The nacelles just form the warb field so a ship can go to warp they do not manoeuvre the ship the thrusters do that and the impulse engines. It did look cool do.

It was an ok episode but not the greatest.

I would like to know how Micheal was able to get out by the cloak so easy. Did she beam out or take a shuttle? and the same coming back but I guess then since they knew she was missing that hey just let her back in.
    Also did Grudge fly that ship?

Also what about your man beaming everywhere surely it would have been just quicker to walk to the science lap as he obviously did not know how to use his personal transporter.

The badges tech was cool do but it really gone on the look of the badges.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭sioda

This was my favourite this season tbh. More Phillipa is what this show needs.

Any chance she was tortured by the admiral?

I missed the A on the saucer the first time. Very nice idea. Self sealing at bolts ffs 🤣.

Sari is getting more captain like every ep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

A solid episode and some development from Saru and even Tilly saying Michael is a spanner basically. The demotion scene was great to see her get what was coming to her but the "your doing the right thing line" was not needed. Would agree with the other poster, would be great to let Booker and Burnham head of on their own adventures at this point

Advertisement