Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭furrybones

Is it posted somewhere that the new campaign isn't open until June/July?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Vologda69

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Kass20

Is there anyone who did the E-Tray and missed the time window for the urgent queries yet still passed? Messed up on such a simple thing, feel so effed off with myself.

Post edited by Kass20 on

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Quadrivium

Ukrainians are not being vetted as the situation is deemed an emergency so whoever told you that is telling porkie pies.

That's great to know! I passed my interview and am in the top 5, so with the extension I have a fair shot of being placed.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Fonzy1991

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aislingm999

Has anyone who done their interview last week received their result?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Aquinn123!

I did mine last Thursday and still waiting, hopefully it’s soon 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Iggy1986

I did the E tray midweek, not sure how it went to be honest. I managed to finish the urgent tasks before the 10:30 deadline and got the other tasks done but who knows! I’m placed 3200 on the OOM for Dublin, is there any hope of being called for interview?

The process is different from when I did it in 2018, had to do the E tray and interview on the same day. I passed the interview but failed the E tray by two marks 😭

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Paddleboard_11

No not yet aislingm999....I think it could be next week as they are doing interviews up till tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 mcg_philip

I did my interview today (28/4/22) for Dublin (Batch 5). Just wondering when I could expect to receive results.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭acawarrior

Any word on Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Fonzy1991

There seems to be plenty of interviews still happening this week. I would have thought these would have been finished long ago as the lifetime of the panel is nearing its end. Does anyone know if interviews are still being help for Tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Hi Folks

I have received my interview date and time - and it is 20th May so they are still doing them.

I think because of the massive exodus and promotion of staff - EO upwards, during the pandemic, I am guessing they are going to try to get everyone who did an eTray (and passed), an interview.

I do know that there is a huge push to bring staffing levels back up to pre-pandemic levels.

I do not know if the panel will be used beyond June/July but it would not surprise me if it were extended. Moreover, if you think about it, it makes sense to extend seeing as there are loads of EO vacancies that need filling throughout CS.

These are just my thoughts.

Dublintigger 😊

Oh Cool!

How did you get on? Any hints?

I've heard that the results are normally within a week - not sure tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pilah

Wexford are on Batch 3 OOM 39.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

@Dublintigger just curious as to massive exodus of staff you mention... is there any particular reason(s) you say that?

I got emailed about an expression of interest for interview for Roscommon... the email also said it doesent expect that the panel will last beyond June

It is a general observation - the amount of retirees that occurred over the last two years and the natural promotion progressions that follow. Dont forget that there was a HEO comp at the same time, so EO's would have applied for that and moved on.

Also, back in the office I have noticed that there are a fair number of EO positions vacant - because of the promotions to HEO.

Like I said in my original post, that is my observation and my opinion - always open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 D321

I had my interview today for the Dublin panel. I found the interview extremely challenging. They repeatedly interrupted me and I felt like I didn't get to use the STAR format at all. And interruptions were not "what did you learn" or "what would you do differently", but just random questions which you definitely can't adequately prepare for. I'd be surprised if I passed it to be honest, but am remaining hopeful given people's comments here. I'd recommend to have multiple examples for "Delivery of Results" as they asked me multiple questions on projects I completed from start to finish. But be prepared to be able to back up everything you say with evidence, as they will drill into it. For example, interviewer asked me about my thesis, clarifying whether I used "qualitative or quantitative methods", and why -just very random questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

I had my interview earlier in the week and feel exactly the same! I was stopped more or less straight away in my people management competency and they changed the question and in my delivery for results they were interrupting a lot asking smaller questions I was unprepared for. I answered everything but still not convinced I passed, I spent so much time preparing potential answers using the STAR method and didn't really get to use them. Fingers crossed we both pass :)

• Advertisement

It's the same situation in my dept. Loads of EO vacancies but they aren't being filled for some reason.

I think it is the same in other Departments.....

And that is why I think they will place as many as they can from this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Personally I can't see it being extended. I don't mean this in a bad way but why would they want people numbered 100's down the list when they can run a new campaign and get the best top 20, 100 or whatever.

Laoisgem, just because someone is further down the list, does not mean they are less able for the EO role. Alot of people are serving COs for the last few years now and have the requird experience or come from another job that gives them this experience and deserve the chance to at least be interviewed. I don't think the online tests in stage 1 and 2 are sufficient enough to end someone's chance for this.

That is a very fair point..... and I agree with you.

Post edited by Dublintigger on

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I never said they were less able for the EO roles. You seem to be missing the point entirely. If they are servicing CO's there is also internal panels.

I am agreeing with you.....you made a fair point.

Thanks @laoisgem for your explanation. But when you said why would they want people from the bottom of the list, it implied that the people at the bottom should be left to start the competition all over again and not get interviewed. The internal competitions do not come around often especially when there is an open panel being used. If you were reading the comments here, you will have noticed that alot being interviewed at the moment are COs and have been waiting 2 years to get an interview. You needed to have 2 years service at the time to apply for the internal competition. When the pressure is on, it's difficult to do well in the online tests but more than likely have the necessary experience and skills. So, I just hope you take that into consideration when you say that they should start a new panel. But when they decide that the panel is up, it's up and there's nothing we can do if not called.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redsettee90

Got a message about being posted in the Courts service my first impression is that it will be interesting love to get some insight if anyone has experience working there what the work is like, Coming in as a newbee a mixture of excited nervous etc.

• Advertisement

Totally agree with you. I was a couple of months off qualifying for the interdepartmental stream when this competition opened. I have some previous managerial experience but I had never done the EO assessment before. I was quite nervous the whole way through it and I know I didn't do my best at all. Once I finally got to etray and interview stage I was in the top 5 (still waiting to be placed). Those assessment questions are in no way indicative of a person's ability to do the job. Considering how many applicants there are for these positions, anyone who gets to interview stage will have done well.

Advertisement