Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto debit cards latest?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

banie01 wrote: »
    By visible, do you mean to you?
    Or to Tax authorities?
    Because visibility on both fronts is high, and advising on tax evasion is frowned upon...
    But avoidance is grand ;)

Thanks.

I can find references that mined coins are treated differently from purchased coins, but its all very vague.

"Crypto mining is not considered an for VAT purposes yet. It’s worth noting that no instructions have been given on the taxation of incomes, profits and other flows related to initial coin offerings."

I also lost significant amounts of crypto (over 50% of what I now hold) though the failure of exchanges and mining pools, although proving this is now difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

"correct" "horse" "battery" "staple" ....

I just need to find your other 20 keywords and I'm minted. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

:D

Forum post of the year :D

Anyone else upgrade their CDC cards back in October before the staking increases?

I've yet to receive my new card, my old card was deactivated in December meaning no cashback and no subscription rebates since then.

Their CC is blaming logistics issues and 3rd parties which one can always make allowances for.
    But when you need to lock up capital for 180 days for the benefits?
    Yet the benefits aren't available to you for a substantial period of that, it's bloody annoying!

Anyone else still waiting?

Yep, in the same boat. I upgraded about the same time, got the benefit of 3% right away and decided not to bother changing the card from red to indigo. Then they offered the change of card for free during a promotion and I foolishly accepted. My red card stopped working the week before Christmas as my new indigo card went to issued and it's been that way since. I'm using curve to hopefully go back in time and collect the cash back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Whelo79 wrote: »
    The new boy in town, a crypto credit card.

https://connect.financial/

The listing goes live on 1st January. Initial token price is .10c

There another two , Monolith and Eidoo. I'm not sure if they've been covered here before.

I haven't used either btw but seen them recommended on Bankless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

There another two , Monolith and Eidoo. I'm not sure if they've been covered here before.

I haven't used either btw but seen them recommended on Bankless

Are they credit cards or debit cards? Connect is heavily marketed as the first proper crypto credit card.

Some great advantages are that connect are not actually spending your crypto, they extend you a line of credit against your crypto holdings, you therefore avoid any potential capital gains/revenue issues on your spending.

Price has gone from 10c at launch to 37c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭suave.4u

Anyone else upgrade their CDC cards back in October before the staking increases?

I've yet to receive my new card, my old card was deactivated in December meaning no cashback and no subscription rebates since then.

Their CC is blaming logistics issues and 3rd parties which one can always make allowances for.
    But when you need to lock up capital for 180 days for the benefits?
    Yet the benefits aren't available to you for a substantial period of that, it's bloody annoying!

Anyone else still waiting?
    yes I did upgrade from the 2% cashback to the 3% royal indigo one. Cost 50 Euros.
    Got the card in december end.
    The amount is locked, you cannot use the old card. They don't transfer the balance on the old card unless you reach out to support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

Whelo79 wrote: »
    Are they credit cards or debit cards? Connect is heavily marketed as the first proper crypto credit card.

Some great advantages are that connect are not actually spending your crypto, they extend you a line of credit against your crypto holdings, you therefore avoid any potential capital gains/revenue issues on your spending.

Price has gone from 10c at launch to 37c now.

Monolith is a visa debit + Eth smart contract wallet
    https://monolith.xyz/

Podcast on Bankless
    https://twitter.com/monolith_web3/status/1330828684291354625?s=19

Eidoo debit linked to pntNetwork. Pnt recently pumped 100% and is a small cap Defi coin that's part of some Index baskets.
    https://eidoo.io/

Yep, in the same boat. I upgraded about the same time, got the benefit of 3% right away and decided not to bother changing the card from red to indigo. Then they offered the change of card for free during a promotion and I foolishly accepted. My red card stopped working the week before Christmas as my new indigo card went to issued and it's been that way since. I'm using curve to hopefully go back in time and collect the cash back.

Just to update this post. Woke this morning to an email that my indigo card has finally shipped

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Just to update this post. Woke this morning to an email that my indigo card has finally shipped

We must be in the same batch! ;)
    Got the same email too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Many of the sites linked above dont have details of companies that offer the service or the service is from UK companies, which raises all sorts of questions in itself. Trusting a company outside the EU with your own money seems a bit irresponsible.

The EU needs to make sure you pay your tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Many of the sites linked above dont have details of companies that offer the service or the service is from UK companies, which raises all sorts of questions in itself. Trusting a company outside the EU with your own money seems a bit irresponsible.

Why would it be irresponsable to deposit money/assets at a non-EU financial institution?

If you which one is the most responsable to pick between the best-rated bank in Singapore and the best rated-bank in Greece, I know which one I would choose. And it isn't the one located in the EU!

If they close and your money goes poof into someone’s pockets in Russia how would you go about getting it back. I still remember the holy mess that mt gox was years ago.

Or they claim they got hacked and you only get fraction back, I lost Btc in inputs.io that way

Basically why would you trust your money/crypto not to disappear with a non Eu entity, if something happens you have little recourse

Agree that being in the EU gives a minimum level-playing field in term of legal framework and to some extends it is reassuring. But 2 things:
    1) It doesn't mean an EU country is automatically better than a non-EU one (I'd definitely prefer to have the type of problem you are mentioning with a UK-based company rather than with a company based in Cyprus - and there are many other non-EU country with a strong legal framework beating what some EU countries are offering)
    2) The specifics of the financial institution are at least as important as the legal framework it operates in. Again, I don't think anyone would argue that because it is in the EU, it is more financially responsable to deposit money at a Greek bank than at a strong Canadian, Swiss, or Singaporean bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ananth1978

Did any of you check out Plutus - www.plutus.it

It's really good. Some of the features are

1. 3% cashback on all purchases (Eur 250 limit for starter and unlimited for premium and pro accounts. Needs staking).
    2. Additional cashback with select brands (they had a 15% discount on iphone on Amazon and 10% discount on all Amazon purchases which ended recently).
    3. Non-Custodial (you can keep your crypto ETH or PLU on Metamask and then connect to their app. No need to keep crypto in their app). This is a very key feature from security standpoint.

They have a DEX for ETH and PLU trading and are including Bitcoin in Q1 2021. BTC would also be non-custodial. They are building something similar to metamask that support BTC. You've control of private keys.

20 mil total token supply
    1.8 mil in circulation.

Rest are only for rewards. So supply won't be added anytime soon.

Read https://medium.com/plutus

You can either sell crypto and spend it using their debit card and earn rewards or you can deposit FIAT into the EUR bank account that they provide and spend it thru debit card and get cashback rewards in PLU.

Check out their roadmap. DYOR.

Folks, bit of what I hope is an oddity but would appreciate if anyone has encountered similar issues.

Received my CDC indigo card last week (upgrade from red).
    Having some issues with it that I'm fairly sure I didn't encounter with red albeit on their previous card processor.

The card won't add to Netflix as a payment method.
    Netflix have confirmed it's an issue on the card side and advised contact the issuer.
    I did, and tbh they haven't a clue?

Also tap to pay isn't working, fails out with a "not authorised" message.

Similar issue with adding the card to Google pay.
    Get a "this card can't be set up to pay in stores" message.
    Anyone encountering similar?

Folks, bit of what I hope is an oddity but would appreciate if anyone has encountered similar issues.

Having some issues with it that I'm fairly sure I didn't encounter with red albeit on their previous card processor.

Netflix have confirmed it's an issue on the card side and advised contact the issuer.

I've just received indigo also but am not having issues, I've been busy trying to get a few grand spent since mid December using curve transferred over using Curve go back in time. I added mine to Google pay but got the warning that I could only use it online, not contactless. I've not added mine to Spotify or Netflix as they've been set for curve which is using CDC with my regular bank Visa set as anti embarrassment card in case there's no funds on the CDC one

Also tap to pay isn't working, fails out with a "not authorised" message.

Maybe a stupid suggestion, but just in case could it be that you need to use it with chip and PIN at a physical location to activate it?

Bob24 wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid suggestion, but just in case could it be that you need to use it with chip and PIN at a physical location to activate it?

I've done that too.
    I'm hoping that somehow an error in the account coding or parameters is the cause.
    Glad others aren't encountering this issue :)

I've done that too.
    I'm hoping that somehow an error in the account coding or parameters is the cause.
    Glad others aren't encountering this issue :)

Looks like you will be stuck chatting to their customer service for some time :-/

My experience is that they are helpful with anything simple which is in their process list and they can sort quickly, but as you said when it is more complex or if they don’t know it can be a struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

Quick question, I use GooglePay -> Curve -> crypto.com Ruby card... Transactions are appearing as sales in GBP? Everyone else the same? Need to look more closely but looks like there's a small fx charge or something occurring... anyone else notice this?

• Advertisement

Daithi40 wrote: »
    Quick question, I use GooglePay -> Curve -> crypto.com Ruby card... Transactions are appearing as sales in GBP? Everyone else the same? Need to look more closely but looks like there's a small fx charge or something occurring... anyone else notice this?

Are you topping up the CDC card in Sterling? I have two CDC visa balances Sterling and Euro and only ever top up the Euro balance with my PSTB visa debit

Are you topping up the CDC card in Sterling? I have two CDC visa balances Sterling and Euro and only ever top up the Euro balance with my PSTB visa debit

Nope, top up in Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭musiknonstop

In the Curve app you can set the currency for each card. Hit the cog icon below the crypto.com card to access the settings and switch the currency to EURO. I set Curve and Crypto.com up yesterday and contactless worked fine first time in Lidl (cashback!).

In the Curve app you can set the currency for each card. Hit the cog icon below the crypto.com card to access the settings and switch the currency to EURO. I set Curve and Crypto.com up yesterday and contactless worked fine first time in Lidl (cashback!).

Aha, I think you're right, I'll double check tomorrow, much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dav09

I'm sorta scared of getting burned from CDC cards. After the Monaco fiasco with them years ago if anyone remembers and also seems like it's hard/ almost impossible to withdraw some coins like Nano from their site, just all strikes me as a little dodgy with them. But I am looking to get a card again as it was very useful until all of them went in 2018 when the card companies blocked the payment channels. Looking into some other options too, glad to see there are a few more again. Probably Coinbase or Wirex more likely what I'll go with from recommendations here.

Aha, I think you're right, I'll double check tomorrow, much appreciated!!

Yeah he's correct you need to change the charging currency in the Curve App.

To be fair to Curve it isn't really their fault though. The CDC Card is coded with Visa as a sterling card and Curve just auto-detects that and sets its default currency accordingly.

This has another slight silly impact: if you make a purchased in USD, CHF, JPY, or whatever non-euro currency you can see the euro equivalent amount in the CDC App. Except for GBP purchases whereby no euro value is displayed (probably because this is the default currency of the card and they are applying some kind of hack to process the euro conversion).

Yep - tested today - that was the problem - thanks folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 justtrying312

anyone else encounter an issue where the crypto.com app, charges you twice when the transaction failed when you inserted card? I was using curve card and this happened, today @ Lidl.

Quite embarrassing, imagine I didn't have money to cover the bill? lol.

v38ebsnr89o61.jpg?width=1080&format=pjpg&auto=webp&28b88bde

entarunr89o61.jpg?width=1080&format=pjpg&auto=webp&69dd23e8

anyone else encounter an issue where the crypto.com app, charges you twice when the transaction failed when you inserted card? I was using curve card and this happened, today @ Lidl.

Quite embarrassing, imagine I didn't have money to cover the bill? lol.

v38ebsnr89o61.jpg?width=1080&format=pjpg&auto=webp&28b88bde

entarunr89o61.jpg?width=1080&format=pjpg&auto=webp&69dd23e8

it has happened to me as well. I used the CDC Card via Curve in Lidl and it went through. Next week, the same card failed.
    I always carry two cards, you can't rely 100% on CDC card

• Advertisement

dav09 wrote: »
    I'm sorta scared of getting burned from CDC cards. After the Monaco fiasco with them years ago if anyone remembers and also seems like it's hard/ almost impossible to withdraw some coins like Nano from their site, just all strikes me as a little dodgy with them. But I am looking to get a card again as it was very useful until all of them went in 2018 when the card companies blocked the payment channels. Looking into some other options too, glad to see there are a few more again. Probably Coinbase or Wirex more likely what I'll go with from recommendations here.

no problem so far. I have been using CDC card for a year now and very happy. The cashback is great and CRO is at its all time high.
    In some places like tesco, I but the tesco Gift card (3% discount) with CDC card (3% cashback). That is effectively 6% off straightaway

Advertisement