Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crypto debit cards latest?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

issued me a card but it won' activate

the activation for me was the most straight forward process of the whole application

have you contacted the help desk

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    the activation for me was the most straight forward process of the whole application

have you contacted the help desk

multiple times, came to nowt every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

If anyone is looking at a swipe card then I have a referral code
    HD0JCP

Set mine up yesterday after getting it
    After all the initial teething problems it’s working no iss
    Activated and ready to go
    Just going to transfer in some funds and see how that goes

I don’t think there is a referral program yet??

Swipe is a loose cannon. Poor software. All the card holders so far have been burned too. I see two good points tho. 1. crypto sphere has a short memory and 2. The binance backing. Sub $1 pricing at the moment makes it super appealing. With the way CRO is going this is the best value in town but I have to question what’s going on behind the scenes with them

bingobars wrote: »
    I don’t think there is a referral program yet??

Swipe is a loose cannon. Poor software. All the card holders so far have been burned too. I see two good points tho. 1. crypto sphere has a short memory and 2. The binance backing. Sub $1 pricing at the moment makes it super appealing. With the way CRO is going this is the best value in town but I have to question what’s going on behind the scenes with them

In relation to the referral program, yes its available. The code I supplied is available to use when setting up a new account

in terms of the price of SXP, its not necessary to hold any SXP to have a saffron card

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

In relation to the referral program, yes its available. The code I supplied is available to use when setting up a new account

in terms of the price of SXP, its not necessary to hold any SXP to have a saffron card

https://swipe.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014328658-How-does-the-referral-program-work-for-Swipe-Slate-cardholders-

Nothing for referrals unless it’s high roller bringing in high roller

See the last line “
    Note: There are currently no referral programs for other Swipe Card membership levels”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Anyone here looked into the Hold app and upcoming Utrust VISA debit card?

I'm sure this has been covered already, but I havent got the time to go through the whole thread, but lets say you buy crypto ABC and it doubles in value and you spend it using your crypto card, are you paying CGT then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I'm sure this has been covered already, but I havent got the time to go through the whole thread, but lets say you buy crypto ABC and it doubles in value and you spend it using your crypto card, are you paying CGT then?

Short answer: yes CGT is due (in order to pay for something with the card, you crypto has to get converted to euros/fiat, aka disposed of, which triggers CGT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I know with CDC to spend crypto you must convert it into fiat to top up the card

Bob24 wrote: »
    Short answer: yes CGT is due (in order to pay for something with the card, you crypto has to get converted to euros/fiat, aka disposed of, which triggers CGT).

ay but you can set up the card to pay using your crypto, so I see what you're saying but .............

• Advertisement

I know with CDC to spend crypto you must convert it into fiat to top up the card

with the Swipe card you select which wallet to pay with, so if you have crypto you select that and pay with that and it reduces your crypto balance

with the Swipe card you select which wallet to pay with, so if you have crypto you select that and pay with that and it reduces your crypto balance

Yes buy converting it into fiat as you spend. AFAIK it's a visa restriction that cards must be topped up in fiat

It happens is the background, but your crypto has to be converted to fiat currency to process the payment (the Visa/MasterCard networks can't process payments in cryptocurrency).

And technically, I believe even if you could pay directly in crypto, CGT would also be due as paying for something with an asset is considered disposal. For exemple I believe if I had a 1 ounce gold coin which I paid 1000 euros for and I used it to buy something from you (based on its current value of 1700 euros), It would trigger a 700 euro CGT liability for me, even though I never turned it into cash. Now, are people actually paying CGT in these circumstances is a different story, but technically AFAIK it is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Bob24 wrote: »
    It happens is the background, but your crypto has to be converted to fiat currency to process the payment (the Visa/MasterCard networks can't process payments in cryptocurrency).

And technically, I believe even if you could pay directly in crypto, CGT would also be due as paying for something with an asset is considered disposal. For exemple I believe if I had a 1 ounce gold coin which I paid 1000 euros for and I used it to buy something from you (based on its current value of 1700 euros), It would trigger a 700 euro CGT liability for me, even though I never turned it into cash. Now, are people actually paying CGT in these circumstances is a different story, but technically AFAIK it is due.

No doubt the crypto investigation task force of the Revenue department is monitoring this sub-forum extremely closely.

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    the crypto investigation task force of the Revenue department .

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Technically yes. I think a good idea would be to top it up with stable coin for the weeks purchases. That would get around the CGT. I would like it just for the cashback alone. My bigger crypto holdings would be kept on the ledger nano anyway.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    I would like it just for the cashback alone.

thats basically what I'm using it for

the weekly shop and anything else I can afford to buy without the need of a credit card

It might have been there for some time, but I just noticed a new page on the CDC website with the list of merchant categories for which cashback is excluded: https://help.crypto.com/en/articles/4597450-restriction-of-cro-rewards-programme

At least it clarifies things a bit, but some of that stuff seems way over the top (what’s the story with excluding something like souvenir shops?)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Has anyone else experienced delays on getting their CDC card? Its been at Issued status for nearly a month. I got onto chat and they just said it should be shipping shortly.

BillyBoy wrote: »
    Has anyone else experienced delays on getting their CDC card? Its been at Issued status for nearly a month. I got onto chat and they just said it should be shipping shortly.

Which one? They are prioritising the higher ones. Some people are waiting months. I'm currently waiting on my upgrade to jade from ruby I did before 2nd Nov, but my ruby still works with the 3% cashback which is the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭banie01

As Gooey says it depends on your level.
    My original ruby was @2months and waiting on Indigo.
    Wife's was about 2 months aswell.

going to upgrade to a Swipe Sky card
    Rewards get doubled to 2% and there is free Netflix, Prime & Spotify

They wont send me a new card but my Saffron card will just be kept on being used with the benefits of the Sky card

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Which one? They are prioritising the higher ones. Some people are waiting months. I'm currently waiting on my upgrade to jade from ruby I did before 2nd Nov, but my ruby still works with the 3% cashback which is the same
    banie01 wrote: »
    As Gooey says it depends on your level.
    My original ruby was @2months and waiting on Indigo.
    Wife's was about 2 months aswell.

Thanks guys. Its just the Ruby card so at least I know its not just me, its the same all round. Thanks for replying and letting me know.

nice little bonus rewards from Swipe over the weekend, they doubled on the % rewards for the whole Black Fri weekend

Only found out about it on friday afternoon, but managed to do a bit of online xmas shopping over the weekend to take full advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

The new boy in town, a crypto credit card.

https://connect.financial/

The listing goes live on 1st January. Initial token price is .10c

Whelo79 wrote: »

The insured deposit limits and the custody and inheritance options with this one are interesting.

The inheritance issue is one I struggle with for crypto.
    How to maintain security whilst insuring access to your inheritor is a tough one at times.

Whelo79 wrote: »

Main difference with existing products is that it is an actual credit card rather than a debit card (I think BlockFi are also working on a similar product).

I am not their target audience as I very much dislike credit cards, but this is a good differentiator with existing cards and there must be a pool of potential customers who would like to use their crypto as a collateral for a credit card (having said that, I am not sure people who are in a position who get a credit card from a local bank without posting any collateral would be interested in this, unless I am missing something?).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I mined all my coins 2012 - 2013 and do not have any purchases as such (other than initial mining hardware), but also used LTC to buy ETH & BTC so there are a lot of transactions between exchanges, some of which don't exist any more. I have never used a withdrawal facility, although I do have them set up. I am retired and minimal day to day expenses, so I was thinking that a card would be good (I currently have some coins in Coinbase), but to be honest I am still concerned that anything I do could trigger a larger liability.

I guess I have 2 questions.

How visible are these card transactions ?

Anyone have experience with tax on mined coins ?

SlowBlowin wrote: »

I guess I have 2 questions.

How visible are these card transactions ?

Anyone have experience with tax on mined coins ?

By visible, do you mean to you?
    Or to Tax authorities?
    Because visibility on both fronts is high, and advising on tax evasion is frowned upon...
    But avoidance is grand ;)

• Advertisement

Anyone else upgrade their CDC cards back in October before the staking increases?

I've yet to receive my new card, my old card was deactivated in December meaning no cashback and no subscription rebates since then.

Their CC is blaming logistics issues and 3rd parties which one can always make allowances for.
    But when you need to lock up capital for 180 days for the benefits?
    Yet the benefits aren't available to you for a substantial period of that, it's bloody annoying!

Anyone else still waiting?

Advertisement