Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freshly roasted coffee beans online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hi all,

Need to get a bag of coffee as a gift for a drip machine, not sure what grind to get from 3fe? Espresso, Aeropress, pour over, chemex, French press?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭adam240610

ting_tang wrote: »
    Planning to order some with decaf from 3fe, which one would you recommend?
    Thank you!

The El Yakon is really good, haven't tried any others. I recall having to go a bit courser for filter than most other coffees but that might just be a thing with decaf but can't say much on that topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭karlitob

How much coffee for 45/50€?

The cheapest freshly roasted coffee, I found for now, around ~6.5€ for 250gr, some roasters can offer discount for 1kg bags (i.e. 6.5€ for 250 gr, and 25€ for 1 kg). Even with that one you will notice the huge difference in taste.
    Do you have a grinder for your reusable pod?

Ah, 2 packs of 227g of Tesco finest; and 8 boxes of 20 capsules. Can get a grinder but wondering if the reusable pods are useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

karlitob wrote: »
    Ah, 2 packs of 227g of Tesco finest; and 8 boxes of 20 capsules. Can get a grinder but wondering if the reusable pods are useful?

Never used pods, but for Aeropress and v60 I need at least 15gr per cup, so 2kg of coffee won't cover your requirements. If you want to stick with your budget, try for now to replace Tesco finest only with half kilo of freshly roasted coffee in beans. You need beans to get the most from freshly roasted coffee. Also you need a burr grinder. You can start with some Hario grinders(starts from ~30€) for filter/aeropress etc. If you would like to invest more: Baratza Encore(~150€, not too good for an espresso) or more expensive Eureka series (starts from ~200€) are examples of starter grinders. Or you can get some high end manual grinder. 1zpresso jx(~170€), Kinu(starts from ~200€), Comandante(~250€) etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Never used pods, but for Aeropress and v60 I need at least 15gr per cup, so 2kg of coffee won't cover your requirements.

There is only about 4-5g of coffee per every Nespresso pod though, if I remember it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

To dip your toe in the water try a bag of freshly roaster and ground coffee from a local cafe and see if you like it, and if it is worth the increased cost. If you let us know your general location someone could probably advise somewhere near that might have good beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

Never used pods, but for Aeropress and v60 I need at least 15gr per cup, so 2kg of coffee won't cover your requirements. If you want to stick with your budget, try for now to replace Tesco finest only with half kilo of freshly roasted coffee in beans. You need beans to get the most from freshly roasted coffee. Also you need a burr grinder. You can start with some Hario grinders(starts from ~30€) for filter/aeropress etc. If you would like to invest more: Baratza Encore(~150€, not too good for an espresso) or more expensive Eureka series (starts from ~200€) are examples of starter grinders. Or you can get some high end manual grinder. 1zpresso jx(~170€), Kinu(starts from ~200€), Comandante(~250€) etc..

Have you or anyone here any experience of the Timemore C2 hand grinder? Reviews look good and it looks quite reasonable in price(especially via Aliexpress but even Amazon will do it €80-90 quid.) I've got a Hario Mini Mill that I'm looking to upgrade and if I could do it without breaking the bank I'd be delighted! Would be for v60, AP and Clever Dripper so no need for espresso grind etc. Any other 'value' recommendations also welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Ordered from Dreambeans on Monday night to try it out. Arrived this morning, roasted Monday.

breeno wrote: »
    Have you or anyone here any experience of the Timemore C2 hand grinder? Reviews look good and it looks quite reasonable in price(especially via Aliexpress but even Amazon will do it €80-90 quid.) I've got a Hario Mini Mill that I'm looking to upgrade and if I could do it without breaking the bank I'd be delighted! Would be for v60, AP and Clever Dripper so no need for espresso grind etc. Any other 'value' recommendations also welcomed.

If you are not looking for espresso, and willing to spend €90 or so, I'd try and stretch to €120 and get the wilfa svart aroma - might even get it a little cheaper than that 110-115 if you shop around.

If you are not looking for espresso, and willing to spend €90 or so, I'd try and stretch to €120 and get the wilfa svart aroma - might even get it a little cheaper than that 110-115 if you shop around.

Yep I love using my hand grinder but an electric grinder is worth looking at in that price range. It saves so much time. Have the wilfa svart and love it.

• Advertisement

The Wilfa seems to be sold out everywhere unfortunately. Anything else compare to it in the price range?

The Wilfa seems to be sold out everywhere unfortunately. Anything else compare to it in the price range?

Nope , why do you think it’s sold out everywhere?
    Baratza Encore would cost €150 plus.

alec76 wrote: »
    Nope , why do you think it’s sold out everywhere?
    Baratza Encore would cost €150 plus.

In fairness, it's Out of stock in Bell Lane, Velo, Coffee Angel, Silverskin, Bean Delivered & Brewbox!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I bought the Svart Silver a few weeks back when WCC had the 10% off code and I can't believe I went a whole year hand cranking coffee (albeit with a decent hand grinder). It's totally changed my enjoyment of coffee and tbh I can properly appreciate why more expensive grinders may be worth it for some people.

Off to Italy for six weeks on Saturday so no big Christmas coffee orders for me :( Looking forward to proper €1 espresso though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Talguetler wrote: »
    I bought the Svart Silver a few weeks back when WCC had the 10% off code and I can't believe I went a whole year hand cranking coffee (albeit with a decent hand grinder). It's totally changed my enjoyment of coffee and tbh I can properly appreciate why more expensive grinders may be worth it for some people.

Off to Italy for six weeks on Saturday so no big Christmas coffee orders for me :( Looking forward to proper €1 espresso though :D

Good place to pick up a grinder.

Last question on grinders. Is the benefit of electric over hand grinding purely speed and time related or would they be better grinders as well? I quite like the hand grinder personally albeit I want a new improved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Aside from the speed/time/effort factor, I found quality shot up when I switched to an electric burr grinder. I was using a Hario for about a year which was great, but I'd never (ever) go back to it.

That said, it sits happily in my travel coffee gear and will be coming to the inlaws alongside an aeropress for Christmas with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ting_tang

Last question on grinders. Is the benefit of electric over hand grinding purely speed and time related or would they be better grinders as well? I quite like the hand grinder personally albeit I want a new improved one.

You get a better ground quality with a hand grinder for the same price. In a price range €100+. Also you need to manage a ground retention in electric ones, which you won't have with a hand grinder. But that's actual important only if you drink an espresso. I wouldn't say that hand grinders are too slow, it depends from burr size. I.e. I need less than 30secs to grind 18gr for an espresso with my hand grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Bawnmore wrote: »
    Aside from the speed/time/effort factor, I found quality shot up when I switched to an electric burr grinder. I was using a Hario for about a year which was great, but I'd never (ever) go back to it.
    Hario and similar ceramic burr grinders are way overrated in my opinion and I would recommend them only to people on a very tight budget if they can get it for say under €30. I understand how your experience must have gotten better with the upgrade, but that was to be expected as Hario is a toy that somehow ended up being commonly regarded as the cheapest decent grinder.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If the Hario Skerton and Mini's are good enough for the likes of James Hoffman they're good enough for me and most others. Now I've had 2 Skerton's and 1 was slightly better than the other. The mini mill is excellent and takes a beating. They're a complete faff if you want to change grind type though.

I have them for office and traveling but would like an upgrade too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

A burr grinder is the single most important purchase a home barista can make. No point in spending money on good coffee or equipment if your grinder is ****e. I hesitated as I had the inferior bodum burr grinder and eventually bought a Baratza Virtuoso. I always felt why didn't I just do it sooner. If you've got the money and are actually into coffee then buy a good grinder. Don't cheap out as you get what you pay for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also, got Guatemala La Providencia from Bailies. I've had it in Aeropress and plan on having it through the V60 later. It seems super intense at first to me, but in a good way. It's exactly how I want a black coffee to taste to be honest.

It's not recommend with Milk, but I think it would make great milk based coffee drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Weepsie wrote: »
    If the Hario Skerton and Mini's are good enough for the likes of James Hoffman they're good enough for me and most others. Now I've had 2 Skerton's and 1 was slightly better than the other. The mini mill is excellent and takes a beating. They're a complete faff if you want to change grind type though.

I have them for office and traveling but would like an upgrade too.

I went through two Minis (apparently similar quality to Skerton, if I'm not mistaken) and they both had the same issues. The burr column has tons of slack and remains wobbly as mad even with the rubber band mod. The grind quality suffers and so the user's arm. Proper hand grinder takes less than half of Hario's time to grind the same amount of beans with what feels like less than half the effort and feels vastly more premium. Mini takes a beating? Not from my experience - the bottom container fell on the floor only once and shattered. There is much more of a difference in quality between Hario and a decent quality under €100 hand grinder than between the latter and some high-end manual grinder like Commandante. But hey, I don't mind if you would rather follow Hoffman's judgement on this, he's a sound guy all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Hario and similar ceramic burr grinders are way overrated in my opinion and I would recommend them only to people on a very tight budget if they can get it for say under €30. I understand how your experience must have gotten better with the upgrade, but that was to be expected as Hario is a toy that somehow ended up being commonly regarded as the cheapest decent grinder.

It was a Mini Mill in my case as well and I take your point - I have no experience with higher end hand grinders. I think regardless of it being less effort and better grind quality, I'd find it hard to go back to a hand grinder for situations which don't require it (office/travel etc.) if the price was similar to a good electric burr grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

I ordered a few bags of coffee from Ponaire on Monday as gifts for my in laws and they arrived on Friday. Didn't even open the box as I had to pack them away. Went to make coffee this morning and the roast dates are all between 20-26th November. In a way I'm kinda annoyed but I guess I have been spoiled this year with plenty of recent roasts from Irish roasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Hi, I just picked up a sage barista express and was wondering if you’d have any recommendations of good subscriptions for coffee beans?
    Want to avoid the UK cause that might get messy with brexit on the way

colly10 wrote: »
    Hi, I just picked up a sage barista express and was wondering if you’d have any recommendations of good subscriptions for coffee beans?
    Want to avoid the UK cause that might get messy with brexit on the way

The Uk is situation as normal, I would imagine, with a no trade tariffs deal now being done.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The Uk is situation as normal, I would imagine, with a no trade tariffs deal now being done.

Would be a bit more complicated, they'd have to be charging Irish vat on their side and be revenue compliant from what I gather. Plus filling in the various documentation on their end. This is fine for Amazon but smaller shops are unlikely to be great for this. Definitely wouldn't be taking the risk atm.

Would be a bit more complicated, they'd have to be charging Irish vat on their side and be revenue compliant from what I gather. Plus filling in the various documentation on their end. This is fine for Amazon but smaller shops are unlikely to be great for this. Definitely wouldn't be taking the risk atm.

How does that work? Amazon have been charging Irish VAT and remitting it for some years. Adams and Russel charged me no vat on my last purchase, which I have posted to a NI parcelwizard address. I really doubt anything is going to change. This is an agreement beyween the EU and UK, and much as Revenue have a strong propensity for flipping the EU the bird, I doubt they are going to in this instance.

When I buy from Luxembourg, the MSWT is 3%.

• Advertisement

I am not sure if there is a proper clarification about VAT between Nothern Ireland and Great Britain yet.
    Sellers from North ( Bailies roasters should be ok I think )
    as for the Amazon.co.uk it is definitely no difference for us,apart from the items we used buy through ParcelMotel , AdressPal etc.

Advertisement