Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone drink?

Options
  • 29-11-2015 6:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Errr... do any of you drink?
    Clearly, I don't mean the usual consumption or behaviour as before being pregnant, but a glass of wine if you go out for a meal? Would you find people stare or pass comments?
    I'm more interested in society's view as opposed to the medical evidence (I'm a doctor so am aware of the evidence linking certain drinking patterns to foetal abnormalities and behavioural difficulties later in life).
    Also, I heard a pregnant woman in the coffee queue saying how she was fed up with decaff.... no caffeine AT ALL? Again, wouldn't bother me too much giving it up but is that what is being recommended by the antenatal clinics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I haven't drank but that's more cos I just haven't fancied it rather than being totally against the idea of having a glass of wine with a nice meal. I don't drink coffee but my tea consumption has stayed the same so around 4 mugs a day. I was at an early pregnancy talk in Holles St where they said to limit your caffeine intake to 1 strong cup of brewed coffee from a coffee shop or 2/3 cups of instant coffee or 3/4 cups of tea (I think I remember those amounts correctly) but they didn't say to cut it out completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I drank sporadically before i got pregnant, while pregnant not at all, not once, i'm not so addicted that i need it though,

caffeine wise my only source of it was through red bull, which i haven't touched since before we even conceived! while i do crave it badly at times (i am/was addicted to it) i am avoiding it completely,

i'm finding it harder to be honest to give up the foods i loved, like this no "cold meats" things is gonna kill me around Christmas, i LOVE eating ham sandwiches and leftovers for the whole week after Christmas!

i was so mad at my husband for banning me from eating a jambon during last week... (apparently deli food is bad???)

there seems to be so many do's and don't's, i find the easiest ones to avoid are ones like alcohol....

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Regarding caffeine - the NHS recommends a total of 200mg of caffeine a day, which is around 3 cups of tea or 2 instant coffees so I try and stick to that. It's a bit of a pain because I was a real caffeine fiend!

Haven't had any alcohol at all though. I'd rather not take any chances there. I was a craft beer nerd before, but it won't kill me to stop for 9 months to give my little one the best possible start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I was the same as RK - I stuck to the 200mg caffeine guidelines but had no issue not drinking alcohol at all. I probably would judge someone drinking while pregnant, it just seems quite selfish to me. Same with people who smoke while pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I don't drink at all when pregnant but wouldn't judge someone for having a glass of wine. Smoking would be a totally different story - I would completely judge them for it :) I was never a big coffee drinker but I've had the odd latte and plenty of tea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I think it is too easy to get judgmental. The results of research are from trends observed across large numbers, not individuals. And even they are only as good as the latest published results - that is, deductions from results. And they change too, all the time.

Only recently it was again deemed to be OK for a breastfeeding mother to take a drink - where for years it had been "warned off".

As far as I know, the recommendations about alcohol are precautionary: there certainly IS a thing called Foetal Alcohol Syndrome, but I believe it is associated with very large intakes of booze - binge drinkers, or actual alcoholics: not moderate Mrs Bourgeois with one glass of red once a week.
    So "just to be sure" they issue a blanket ban and next thing you know, those mummies are staring, sneering and judging at some poor lady having a glass of beer with her husband.

Lighten up, folks: there are guys doing PhD's whose mothers smoked while they were pregnant.
    I don't actually recommend this, but it's worth reminding ourselves that individual outcomes are not dictated by statistics.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I drank while pregnant. I know I'll have been judged for it but I'm a healthy eater, took the supplements, exercised regularly and overall weighed up the risks. I had a glass of wine or similar every couple of weeks or so. Often I didn't finish it, it was just nice to know I was able to have one if I wanted.

I also drank and still do drink while breastfeeding. I'd have been without a drink for coming on four years if I'd been totally abstinent because of pregnancy and breastfeeding. I think I'm doing my best and I'm comfortable with my choices.

Edit. The guidelines on drinking while pregnant and drinking while breastfeeding changed during both my pregnancies and while I've been feeding my children. I had normal coffee and tea most days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't drink tea or coffee normally, so yeah, no caffeine during pregnancies for me. Decaf, I know a few people who also steered clear of that also. They told me there were worse chemicals in the decaf than in regular coffee from stripping out the caffeine. I never checked that out, as I don't drink it anyway. Don't smoke either.

Didn't drink booze for the first trimester, stomach was turned by it.

Had maybe a third of a glass of wine once a month or so with dinner after that. Topped it up with water. So a total of 2 glasses of wine over the entire pregnancy, spread out.

I do remember being out with my pregnant sister in law, who had cranberry juice in a wine glass... Some busy body came over and started reading her the riot act about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

No I haven't had any alcohol at all since discovering I was pregnant. I don't smoke anyway so I can't say anything about that. I don't judge others who do, it's not my business. It's something I wouldn't do but all that means is I don't do it. I don't concern myself with what others do.

Sure I was at a wedding a few years back and a heavily pregnant woman was snorting cocaine. Not something I agree with, I've switched to decaff coffee and decaff tea, but that was her choice.

Perversely though I do have a problem buying cigarettes or alcohol when visibly pregnant. I will almost certainly be buying alcohol for a friend or two closer to Christmas (I'll be 6 months pregnant by then) and I probably will feel like stipulating "They're not for me!" Silly, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Coffee addict here, morning sickness now means it turns my stomach so haven't gone near it in the first trimester, certainly wouldn't deny myself it if I fancied one.

Alcohol wise, again I haven't had any yet, purely as my stomach isn't up to it and I have no interest. Fully intend having a glass at Christmas dinner should I feel like it, I probably only had one or two glasses of wine (which I didn't finish) throughout my first pregnancy for the same reasons.

People judging me wouldn't concern me at all, don't people have little to be worrying about if a grown woman enjoying a glass or two of wine in nine months upsets them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I drank sporadically before i got pregnant, while pregnant not at all, not once, i'm not so addicted that i need it though,

caffeine wise my only source of it was through red bull, which i haven't touched since before we even conceived! while i do crave it badly at times (i am/was addicted to it) i am avoiding it completely,

i'm finding it harder to be honest to give up the foods i loved, like this no "cold meats" things is gonna kill me around Christmas, i LOVE eating ham sandwiches and leftovers for the whole week after Christmas!

i was so mad at my husband for banning me from eating a jambon during last week... (apparently deli food is bad???)

there seems to be so many do's and don't's, i find the easiest ones to avoid are ones like alcohol....

Eat your cold meats... eat your jambons... seriously life is too short.

A lot of the food guidelines are a bit more related to how the food is prepared than a blanket no no. When able, I had smoked salmon, runny eggs, cheeses, cold cuts etc, once they were from a reliable source. You can't avoid everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

This pregnancy I'm gagging for a drink. If I see a cold beer, I just want to glug it down! Last one, all alcohol tasted a bit strange to me, and I really didn't have any want for it. I would kill for a cool tall glass of Prosecco, with condensation on the outside. OH YEA!

The recommendation has changed since the last baba, and that's in less than 2 years! Now it seems to err on the side of caution and say NO alcohol. TBH, over Christmas I might have half a glass of fizz or wine. That would be about the extent of it.

Coffee, I can't do without. My gastrointestinal transit time has slowed somewhat *ahem* and I need that morning cup of joe to get things... moving. (sorry, TMI!) I have one Nespresso in the morning, and maybe a cup of tea in the evening. Have bought in loads of herbal teas, if I want something else hot during the day. So I'm well within the 200mg of caffeine limit.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I didn't touch alcohol during my pregnancy, or while attempting to breastfeed, but I wasn't a big drinker so I could really take it or leave it. Could probably count on one hand the amount of alcoholic drinks I've had since he was born 4 years ago!

I found the reduced caffeine really tough cos I was addicted to diet coke, but I switched to flavoured water and just had one can of diet coke a day to keep the cravings at bay! Also nearly lost my mind at no soft cheeses and no mayo! I mentioned it to my GP and he said once it was soft cheese from a known source and it was definitely pasteurised then it was grand. I was told to avoid deli coleslaw and mayo products mainly cos they'd been sitting out all day, I never knew anything about meat!

I don't know if I'd judge someone if I saw them drinking when they were pregnant, it depends on the circumstances. The odd small glass of wine would probably be OK imo. I remember being at my debs and one of the girls was pregnant and she was up doing shots at the bar half the night, absolutely locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Ehhhh what??? No cold meat? I think you are overdoing it. Be careful where you are getting your information as different countries have different guidelines due to different healthy and safety rules. The cold meat thing sounds American.

I followed the NHS guidelines and used my common sense. I didn't drink while pregnant and avoided blue cheese but pretty much ate everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I followed the NHS guidelines and used my common sense. I didn't drink while pregnant and avoided blue cheese but pretty much ate everything else.

Yep, this is my bible - NHS site is great. Also, if you're gagging for that blue/soft cheese hit, you can eat it if it's been cooked. NOMZ! But the NHS (bless them) say that you can eat hard blue cheeses like Stilton. I shall be picking some up for Christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Different perspective here, but a perspective all the same. My baby was stillborn almost a year ago at 41+4. I didn't drink anything or eat anything they don't recommend (or smoke or anything that's deemed dangerous).

On advice that will haunt me for the rest of my life I had one glass of wine the day before my son died. I've been told it had nothing to do with it (it was an undiagnosed placental issue) however I will always wonder if that one glass of wine might have made the difference that meant the placenta couldn't hold out that one extra day he needed. When I am pregnant again I will never ever touch anything that is even vaguely a risk. It's so not worth the risk.

For most people a glass of wine here and there won't do any harm, but the truth is there could be an underlying issue where it could make a real difference.

Best of luck for happy and healthy pregnancies girls X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Thumpette wrote: »
    Different perspective here, but a perspective all the same. My baby was stillborn almost a year ago at 41+4. I didn't drink anything or eat anything they don't recommend (or smoke or anything that's deemed dangerous).

On advice that will haunt me for the rest of my life I had one glass of wine the day before my son died. I've been told it had nothing to do with it (it was an undiagnosed placental issue) however I will always wonder if that one glass of wine might have made the difference that meant the placenta couldn't hold out that one extra day he needed. When I am pregnant again I will never ever touch anything that is even vaguely a risk. It's so not worth the risk.

For most people a glass of wine here and there won't do any harm, but the truth is there could be an underlying issue where it could make a real difference.

Best of luck for happy and healthy pregnancies girls X

^^^This. When I was pregnant, I didn't drink booze or caffeine, and didn't eat anything I was told not to. Not because I'm preachy or holier-than-thou, but because I felt, why risk anything for a bit of food or drink? It's only a few months, and its no hardship, really.
    Thumpette, I'm sorry about your wee boy xxx

Ehhhh what??? No cold meat? I think you are overdoing it. Be careful where you are getting your information as different countries have different guidelines due to different healthy and safety rules. The cold meat thing sounds American.

It came from the midwives in the Cumh something to do with listeria I think?!?

As for the jambon I know he was right as it was what we were told when quizzed about foods I eat by the midwife (but tell that to my cravings) in that I could make them at home myself if I wanted, and at least know they were made/cooked properly!

Pregnant women have been known to eat coal after all,

But after a miscarriage we do want to do it right, and give baby the best chance and that means following all the rules for me anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I didn't have a drink while I was pregnant but I very rarely drink anyway so it didn't bother me. I have had one cocktail with dinner one night since my baby was born ten weeks ago and I fed her right before, plus had milk expressed for her next feed. Maybe that's OTT because I know a lot of people say you can have a drink or two and breastfeed but I dunno, I don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Never touched so much as a drop of drink with my daughter, and had one mouthful of beer from a bottle 6 days before I tested positive this time (40 weeks now and it still troubles me). I never smoked, so no issue there. I cut down caffeine incredibly by switching to caffeine free soft drinks, cutting out the small amount of coffee I might have and only using my partner's used teabag. I dont cut it out completely as it makes me INCREDIBLY ill with vomiting and migraines.
    With my first daughter, I did follow the better part of the eating guidelines. Only had packaged cold meats, not from the deli counter. I did only eat well-done steaks and only packaged eggs, but had them runny if I wanted. Theres an unbelievable extreme to what they tell you to avoid, coming from a science background!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I stopped drinking from when I found out I was pregnant (at around 4 weeks.) I did have one West Coast Cooler when out for dinner at maybe around 6-7 months pregnant, but I'd done plenty of research into it and was confident that it wouldn't do any harm. I remember there was a news story a few months back about a waiter refusing to serve a drink to a pregnant woman ... the irony is that by the time a woman is visibly pregnant (i.e. 2nd/3rd trimester) the real risk for Fetal Alcohol Synrome is passed - the most dangerous time to drink is in the first trimester (although my understanding is that no alcohol passes to the foetus until the placenta is formed, around the 5th/6th week.) I wouldn't judge any woman for having a couple of drinks a week in pregnancy, although I completely understand why most women don't take the risk. Obviously heavy drinking during pregnancy is another issue altogether.

As for the other things you're meant to avoid ... I don't drink tea or coffee, but would have drank lots of Diet Coke before pregnancy. I didn't purposely cut down, but I completely went off the taste of it so didn't drink as much of it. I'm not a smoker, but it often crossed my mind that working in Dublin city centre I might as well have been, constantly breathing in other peoples' smoke and traffic fumes! I regularly ate deli meats, and also occasionally other crappy foods (fast food, cinema hot dogs, etc.) I had the odd runny egg. I definitely didn't do everything by the book, but I read up plenty on what was recommended and the rationale behind it, and made educated choices based on that.

The one thing that did weigh on my mind a lot was that around maybe 28 weeks pregnant, I had a chest infection and was coughing up blood, and I was sent to A&E for an chest Xray and PET scan, as the GP suspected a blood clot on my lung. Not recommended in pregnancy, as it can potentially harm the unborn baby, however obviously both my life and the baby's may have been in danger if it had been a clot (it wasn't.) I worried a lot about it afterwards, however no harm done, my baby was fine, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Drank tea and coffee as normal. Had the odd light beer with number two. I'd reached four months before I knew I was pregnant with number one and I'd been drinking and smoking a lot but everything was fine. I personally think the risks are over exaggerated and once you are sensible you don't need to cut out everything.

My friend is currently carrying a child that will not survive outside the womb. This country's appalling rules on the treatment of women during pregnancy mean that she has to carry her poor little baby to full term.

If you're ever considering giving someone the riot act, like another poster's sister in law was given, consider than you've no idea what's really going on in someone's life.

I would have a glass of wine during pregnancy if I felt like a glass of wine, absolutely no bother. I see no harm in it, and I wouldn't think twice if I saw another woman do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think there is any harm in one glass of wine or a beer. I would be more concerned about smoking although I can imagine it probably is very difficult to just stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

I don't drink at all during the 1st trimester, not a sip. But after that I'd have the odd drink here and there if I was out for a meal or at friends house for dinner etc.

Caffeine wise I was really good on first pregnancy, only drank decaf coffee & 1 cup of normal tea per day (the rest Rooibos) for most of the pregnancy, I might have relaxed this a little in the last 6 weeks.

This time around I'm being very bold. Not even keeping to the 200mg guidelines some days. On Sat I had 2 cups of coffee from a restaurant within a couple of hours of each other and I felt jittery and could feel my heart in my chest all day and had to go to bed. I saw a poster write there they were told only 1 cup of strong brewed coffee from a cafe per day, ooops! Won't be doing that again.

Last time I followed all the food rules as well, this time I'm following some and not others. I am having runny eggs and I've had smoked salmon twice I think. I'm avoiding blue and soft cheeses and am insisting on steak and other meat well done. I wouldn't touch pate or liver.
    On the guidelines I was given it didn't say anything about cold sliced meats like ham. I've eaten rolls from delis and didn't even think about that aspect to be honest (that they are sitting around)...I wouldn't go for a salad bar though.

My Aunty told me that my mother and all of my aunties drank, as normal (which for them is a quite a lot) the whole way through pregnancy same in 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimester. A good few of them also smoked. That really put things in perspective to be honest! All of my cousins are fit, healthy, intelligent with masters and PhDs to beat the band......

Lux23 wrote: »
    I don't think there is any harm in one glass of wine or a beer. I would be more concerned about smoking although I can imagine it probably is very difficult to just stop.

When I had my 20 week scan the doctor doing the scan said she can tell instantly that someone is a smoker based on the cord alone. She looked at mine and could tell me I was healthy and exercised quite a bit. I was amazed that she'd be able to tell that without even looking at the foetus. She also said when she tells women she can tell they smoke based on the cord bloodflow and condition the explanations are equal parts shocking and funny. Lots of 'I've only had one a week' or 'It's himself that smokes' or 'My GP said it would be bad for me to quit'.

My mum smoked while she was pregnant with me. Not a bother on me.

Not a smoker, so not an issue.I didn't drink in the first pregnancy and haven't (and won't )inthis one.I'm not a big drinker so it's not a big deal, and my reason is more to do with the fact that it turns my stomach to think about it!Personally I don't see anything wrong with the odd half glass of wine though.
    Coffee...less good.I didn't touch it during no.1, again mainly because although I wanted it badly, it made me so unwell in the first trimester, I'd end up going off by about week 7, and not being able to stomach it again!!This time I manage a small latte about 1-2 a week, but only since about week 15 and I usually regret it afterwards!But...I have a toddler and I'm working full time and some mornings it's just very tough to get going!!I would only have one cup of coffee a day normally anyway (either instant or shop bought).I havent eased back too much on tea, but I don't think i drink huge amounts of that relatively speaking.
    The problem with this country is our extreme relationship with alcohol....it's almost necessary to say no alcohol at all, rather than 'some' alcohol, because we have such a problem with binge drinking.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I am not drinking while pregnant, and I won't miss it as I wasn't a big drinker before I got pregnant. I didn't go out much anymore anyway, the last time I had a night out was the end of June, so probably the last time I was even a bit tipsy!
    I barely even drink tea at the moment, that and water make me feel ill...so alcohol is way down the bottom of even wanting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I didn't and wouldn't drink when pregnant: Id be just too afraid of the what ifs how ever irrational they might be. And I don't think a glass of wine here or there would hurt but I still couldn't.

Won't touch smoked salmon or unpasteurised cheeses.

Caffeine in moderation (in diet coke don't drink tea or coffee), pre packaged sliced meats yes: sliced ham from my local shop no because I don't know how well they clean the machine. Same reason I avoid ice cream cones too. In saying that I pretty much puked from the second my first was conceived until she was born so I didn't need any more hospital stays for dehydration if I ate something dodgy :)

Advertisement