Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone drink?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I never drank in the first trimesters as that's the real development stage. After that I would have a glass of wine once a week on a Friday /Saturday. My uncle is a GP who made the point that Irish people in general just cannot do things in moderation so therefore they just advocate a blanket ban - but there is no link between MODERATE alcohol intake & fetal abnormalities. At Christmas one year I was drinking (my first pregnancy) non alcoholic wine and the same uncle was almost (!) mocking me saying - the crap they've put into that to take the alcohol out of that is unreal - he told me to have a glass of wine and just enjoy it. So I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

I have an occasional glass of wine & I really enjoy every drop. I sip it slowly & generally have a glass of water with it so that the wine will last longer basically. It now takes me about 3 hours to drink a small glass & I do this because I enjoy it so much. I'm not drinking to get drunk or harm my baby in any way, I'm just relaxing & continuing normal life at a far lower volume! I've tried non alcoholic beer & wine & find them awful so theres no point in drinking them for me. I don't enjoy them.

I think an occasional drink is fine but would be horrified to see someone smoking in pregnancy. I was a smoker myself until I found out I was pregnant & truly hope that I never fall back into that awful habit.

I have tea or coffee once or twice a week in a social situation & I enjoy that too. I think a pregnant woman can make her own decisions & once any of these "vices" aren't abused, then theres no reason to abstain unless you absolutely know you're going to cause harm.

Its a personal choice & people who judge should keep their opinions to themselves. My intelligent & highly articulate friend was chastised in public once for having a non alcoholic beer & to say her critic walked away embarrassed is an understatement. She made a complete fool of herself by jumping the gun & being presumptuous. We're all entitled to an opinion however I would never inflict mine on a stranger. Everybody here can & does make the right decision for themselves as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Drank coffee (never a more than one coffee girl anyways) and Coke was the one of the only thing ms that settled my stomach in first trimester but I did keep an eye on totals. I think I may have had one glass of wine in third trimester? Can't remember to be honest. I craved pate and really really really missed it. Ate soft cheeses just checked they were pasteurised.

I had a fair few drugs tho, I was more concerned about them tbh! Started with just Zantac then built to Lanzol, had antibiotics and steroids for a bad chest/asthma attack and was on BP meds by the end of pregnancy. I did worry about them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I have one or two cups of tea per day and I did so on my first pregnancy too. I really don't think thats a problem.
    Food wise, I don't go near pate or liver and have no issue with that at all. I have one dinner that feta cheese is an ingredient in and I eat it occasionally. I buy the cheese that day and use it immediately. I did that on my first pregnancy too and there were no issues.
    I know you're meant to avoid shell fish but I had a mad thing for prawns last time around and I do again this time. Occasionally I give in and go to Teppanyiaki (sp) where they are cooked right in front of me so thats ok too.
    I've had cold meats- mostly if its something I've cooked myself and I know has been stored safely in the fridge.
    I've had two glasses of prosecco and on my first pregnancy I had a grand total of 3 drinks and enjoyed each and every one of those glasses of wine or champagne. Mostly though the smell of alcohol turns my stomach - white wines are occasionally not vomit inducing.:o
    I think what you decide is ok for you and your pregnancy is ok - within reason. I do have a problem with smoking, drinking heavily and eating badly - by that I don't mean the cold cuts or such like but more lots of junk food. That said the one time I see someone tucking into a snack box might be the one and only time during their pregnancy that they decide to eat that and really what business is it of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Kathy22

I gave up drinking when I found out I was pregnant, did have a few weekends away before then where I was out and had a few drinks and it did stress me out to no end in the first few months but I found out around the 5 week mark so I hope all is OK. I figured I have had lots of time in life to enjoy myself so I don't need it now. I had a few sips of champagne at 2 weddings where I was not at a stage to tell anybody yet but that has been it. I accepted wine at dinner and just didn't bother drinking it. I don't enjoy alcohol really mainly because the idea of drinking it makes me feel guilty so I don't drink it. I don't think I would bother when out for dinner but I might take a sip from my husbands for the taste.

I was a coffee and pepsi max fiend before pregnancy. I replaced Pepsi max for sparkling water and diet 7up and I have kind of gone off coffee. I have had the odd nespresso at home at the weekend but don't crave it so just don't bother with it. I love tea so I have continued to drink that. I have alternated with cups of decaf tea.

I agree with other posters who say it is the mothers choice, everything in moderation. There is so much scare mongering online about this and that. I have come across articles saying not to drink certain herbal teas containing hibiscus and rosehip amongst other things and fruit like pineapple which I craved loads of. Anyway everything in moderation is my motto. I would not condone heavy drinking, drugs and smoking. I have seen smoking mothers outside the Rotunda when I go for my appointment and I definately judge inside. I was a smoker before pregnancy but it turns my stomach now, so many smokers in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm not a tea or coffee drinker so that wasn't an issue for me. I did, massively, miss my beers and wine when I was pregnant and it was the one thing I truly wanted. At Christmas I was about 14 weeks pregnant so bad one glass of mulled wine and that was it. If I saw someone take a drink, I certainly wouldn't judge. Smoking, imo, is a different story. Looking back now, I'm glad I was strict on the no alcohol as I have a beautiful, healthy baby girl and if I was to become pregnant again I'm not sure I'd be as strict. Won't know until that time comes I suppose.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I had been TTC for a while so I'd already cut back on teas and coffee, down to one big mug a day, in the morning. I continued that throughout pregnancy and breastfeeding. I don't smoke, quit several years before I got pregnant, and I'm not a big drinker and often volunteer to be a designated driver on nights out.

I actually craved beer during pregnancy - linked to a vitamin b deficiency I was told, so I enjoyed different types of non-alcoholic beers throughout. I had mulled wine once or twice in the middle of my pregnancy, but I did water it down and had it simmering away for a while in order to try to burn off alcohol a bit.

I've been trained in safe food handling so I've been pretty confident that my own food prep and storage was done in a safe way. I think I only strictly avoided runny eggs, some cheeses and shellfish.

I didn't avoid anything while breastfeeding I think. I would have the occasional drink after the last feed of the evening, and a couple of times I was at a wedding or something I pumped and dumped.

For me, like a previous poster, I was happy to abstain, mostly for my own peace of mind. If I did have a session, or eat something 'dangerous' the inevitable worryfest afterwards would have been likely more detrimental to my pregnant well-being than what I'd just consumed.

The only time I had something said to me was when I drank a can of coke in front of someone. But it was a family member so I didn't mind. If it was a stranger, I think I would have been very irked and likely had Words. .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I drank an odd glass of wine, I don't know how many but probably about one per month or so. During my first pregnancy I was out and there was a girl drowning vodka shots. She started chatting to me because I was the size of a whale at the time and told me she too is five months pregnant. I definitely judged her.

During second (successful) pregnancy I was told by doctor who saw me at early check up to abstain from sex, coffee and alcohol. Sex and alcohol were a lot easier to give up than coffee. At about 16 weeks I had appointment with my consultant and asked him if I still have to be so strict around coffee. He laughed and told me that they would have no kids if his wife had to s Tay away from coffee and wine. I did switch from espresso to instant because espresso actually made me tired but that was the end of coffee abstinence.

I had three miscarriages but in no way I blame them on caffeine or alcohol. I was very healthy during pregnancies, my diet was fairly good and I never needed any supplements. Miscarriages happen because there is something wrong with foetus, in no way I am going to blame myself for it just because I had a glass of wine or stood next to microwave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Neyite wrote: »
    The only time I had something said to me was when I drank a can of coke in front of someone.

That is really ridiculous. This is part of my point - most pregnant ladies abstain from drinking during pregnancy but if they want to have occasional alcohol there is no reason they shouldn't... if people are talking about Coke there's no hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I haven't cut down on caffeine, I have 3 mugs a day. I don't drink more because, ugh, peeing, and also, if I drink tea after 4pm I won't sleep properly.

I don't drink but then I'm not a big drinker to be honest (although at the start of both pregnancies I drank more than usual - because of big family events etc when I didn't know I was pregnant. No point worrying about that, that's what my doc said!).
    Some people are very quick to judge, for example, I like to have a beer in the summer and this summer I had non-alcohol, of course it's not written on the glass that there's no alcohol, so you'll get people giving you funny looks!

With regards to food, I'm a bit more relaxed this time around. Ok, I don't eat unpasteurised cheese, and I won't have the traditional oysters at Christmas dinner but I have my eggs runny, and medium rare meat is not making me panic (I have antibodies to toxoplasmosis so it's grand).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I'd say I had a total of 4 glasses of wine throughout my last pregnancy ( one the night I went into labour!)

This time I'm so Ill ( just out of hospital) that I can barely keep down bread and water. So alcohol is way down the list of priorities.

Once sickness passes and into 2nd trimester I just avoid food that's been sitting out ages in delis etc. don't know how I'll cope without 99s and baby due in July this time lol!
    All other restrictions don't bother me, I like my meat med well, don't much care for seafood or cheeses. Only thing I like is chicken liver pate. It bothered me last pregnancy as our fave restaurant had it.
    I used to crave diet 7up last time. Restricted myself to one can a day. Not a massive tea drinker so currently on about 2 half cups a day to help with nausea.

Everything in moderation!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

etymon wrote: »
    That is really ridiculous. This is part of my point - most pregnant ladies abstain from drinking during pregnancy but if they want to have occasional alcohol there is no reason they shouldn't... if people are talking about Coke there's no hope!

It was ridiculous. I needed a fizzy drink after peeling a vat of spuds for a massive family dinner. The person that said it to me would have quite different ideas to me and I'm used to us having a different take on things. And its family. Different if its a judgey colleague or stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I'm only 8 weeks in, so not having had a drink isn't much of an achievement yet!

I am salivating at the prospect of a glass of champagne on Christmas day though. But, considering the amount of food I'm throwing out these days (and I hate waste), because I thought I fancied it, but then couldn't face it when it came to eating it, who knows how I will be feeling about a glass bubbles in 3 weeks. At the moment, wine smells like paint stripper. If I'm able for it though, I wont feel bad about having a glass, and I will savour it.

I've cut out caffeine, mostly. On days that I'm really tired Ill have a cuppa tea for a boost, but otherwise its decaf and rooibos, and other herbals. I had been limiting my caffeine intake before I got pregnant anyway, because I was TTC and also am a rubbish sleeper.

So far the only cheeses I've had have been hard (cheddar, parmesan and gouda), and cream cheese. I think I will allow myself some cooked soft cheese (mmm white, crusty bread dipped into melted cooleeny) at some point, if I'm in need of a proper cheese hit.

I think I smoked when I was pregnant, if not I was nearly pregnant (I'm an ex smoker who would have indulged on the odd big night out, or when out with certain bad influence friends!). I certainly did drink. Nothing I can do about that now. Just hope that I have done any damage, and keep doing the best that I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

Oh, and I certainly wouldn't judge a grown woman for having the odd drink. I've been to many a wedding lately with pregnant friends, who so look forward to that glass of wine/prosecco that they allow themselves at a special occasion. Actually, now that I think of it, Ive been out for fairly non-special occasions (i.e. just catching up over dinner) with my heavily pregnant friend who will sometimes decide that she will have a glass of wine.

Whatever - these are highly educated women who make informed decisions about their bodies. If they have decided that an occasional glass of wine is ok to put into their bodies, Id respect them enough to make that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

I've heard of pregnant women being absolutely lambasted for having a drink & I think its completely inappropriate...as for criticism for having a Coke....there are no words.

I have an occasional glass of wine because its my favourite drink. I'd never open a bottle if I'm home alone because it'd be a terrible waste when I have one glass at most. I don't have any more than that because I don't want it. I don't buy the small bottles of wine because I just don't like the quality so I'd rather have a glass of a lovely wine from a proper bottle. My poor ol husband has been quite groggy some weekend mornings during this pregnancy after drinking most of the bottle :) Its not about the alcohol, its about the enjoyment & I think we bloody deserve it once in a while!

I'd be interested to see one iota of proof that having a small amount of alcohol causes any harm whatsoever to a baby. I don't think such proof exists to be honest & judgemental people will judge no matter what. I heard of a new mother smoking & drinking a can of Dutch Gold outside a maternity hospital recently...now thats just classless!

In fairness I don't think that classiness is the problem there.

I must say I am perfectly oblivious to any disapproval directed my way for drinking coffee, wine or coke. I love chowder and I ordered it once and almost cried when I got it and realized that mussels are in it. It's probably the only food I really strictly avoided.

Thumpette wrote: »
    Different perspective here, but a perspective all the same. My baby was stillborn almost a year ago at 41+4. I didn't drink anything or eat anything they don't recommend (or smoke or anything that's deemed dangerous).

On advice that will haunt me for the rest of my life I had one glass of wine the day before my son died. I've been told it had nothing to do with it (it was an undiagnosed placental issue) however I will always wonder if that one glass of wine might have made the difference that meant the placenta couldn't hold out that one extra day he needed. When I am pregnant again I will never ever touch anything that is even vaguely a risk. It's so not worth the risk.

For most people a glass of wine here and there won't do any harm, but the truth is there could be an underlying issue where it could make a real difference.

Best of luck for happy and healthy pregnancies girls X

When you lose a baby, no matter what stage you are at, you will always look for reasons. This is normal. Don't be hard on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

With regards to food, I'm a bit more relaxed this time around. Ok, I don't eat unpasteurised cheese, and I won't have the traditional oysters at Christmas dinner but I have my eggs runny, and medium rare meat is not making me panic (I have antibodies to toxoplasmosis so it's grand).

How did you find out about the antibodies? Did you specifically ask for a test? I'm wondering if I have them... (kinda wishing) as I would eat a lot of 'high risk' foods normally. I've made an informed decision about eggs, as long as they're Bord Bia eggs. They're all vaccinated against salmonella, and afaik there have been no cases of salmonella being found IN the egg (I think there was approx 1 in 8000 of it on the shell?) I know in the UK all British Lion eggs have been deemed safe to eat.

olaola wrote: »
    How did you find out about the antibodies? Did you specifically ask for a test? I'm wondering if I have them... (kinda wishing) as I would eat a lot of 'high risk' foods normally. I've made an informed decision about eggs, as long as they're Bord Bia eggs. They're all vaccinated against salmonella, and afaik there have been no cases of salmonella being found IN the egg (I think there was approx 1 in 8000 of it on the shell?) I know in the UK all British Lion eggs have been deemed safe to eat.
    Here in France, it's one of the first blood tests you get in pregnancy, along with things like rubella immunity, syphilis, iron levels etc. Isn't it done automatically in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Here in France, it's one of the first blood tests you get in pregnancy, along with things like rubella immunity, syphilis, iron levels etc. Isn't it done automatically in Ireland?

Ahhh! I was thinking. I did read a paper about that. Nope, it's not mentioned here at all. I did bring it up with my GP last time, but not sure how I'd go about it! That paper is interesting, and the conclusions are very relevant to what's happening here at the moment! What happens if you do find out? In France, you can opt for a termination (if the infection happens in the first 10 weeks) here, it's a little more complicated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I'm 21 weeks and found out yesterday we were having a girl so had a half glass of red to celebrate. Was delicious but had me asleep in front of the fire by 9pm! I'm definitely more relaxed with food this time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

I haven't touched a drop. However I wouldn't drink much anyway so it's not a big deal for me. I might miss the glass of bubbly at Christmas but I have been very sick so far that I may not feel like it anyway. I think it's no one else's business if you decide to have a glass of wine or caffeine etc. To be honest I'm starting to get very annoyed at all the pregnancy 'advice' or 'rules' that are given to pregnant women. I haven't had a drink, don't smoke, never drink tea coffee anyway, can't stomach coca cola, don't like pate, shellfish, soft chesses, eggs etc etc. So really if you were giving out gold stars I would be top of the class for following the rules. Yet I'm having a miserable pregnancy so far and have been in hospital twice due to severe vomiting. As a result I'm been given all the 'advice' on how to avoid 'morning sickness' and what foods to eat to reduce it which is a load of crap as far as I'm concerned because it doesn't work for me! Sorry for the rant but really who comes up with all these rules for women! We shouldn't beat ourselves up over this. All you can do is try and look after yourself and it's up to everyone to make their own decisions.

appledrop wrote: »
    I haven't touched a drop. However I wouldn't drink much anyway so it's not a big deal for me. I might miss the glass of bubbly at Christmas but I have been very sick so far that I may not feel like it anyway. I think it's no one else's business if you decide to have a glass of wine or caffeine etc. To be honest I'm starting to get very annoyed at all the pregnancy 'advice' or 'rules' that are given to pregnant women. I haven't had a drink, don't smoke, never drink tea coffee anyway, can't stomach coca cola, don't like pate, shellfish, soft chesses, eggs etc etc. So really if you were giving out gold stars I would be top of the class for following the rules. Yet I'm having a miserable pregnancy so far and have been in hospital twice due to severe vomiting. As a result I'm been given all the 'advice' on how to avoid 'morning sickness' and what foods to eat to reduce it which is a load of crap as far as I'm concerned because it doesn't work for me! Sorry for the rant but really who comes up with all these rules for women! We shouldn't beat ourselves up over this. All you can do is try and look after yourself and it's up to everyone to make their own decisions.

Been there! Hospital once, only.

Here's my bit of advice. Focus on that little bundle of loveliness that will magic away all the miserable feelings in a flash!

Agree totally with your last 2 sentences. Good Luck!

olaola wrote: »
    Ahhh! I was thinking. I did read a paper about that. Nope, it's not mentioned here at all. I did bring it up with my GP last time, but not sure how I'd go about it! That paper is interesting, and the conclusions are very relevant to what's happening here at the moment! What happens if you do find out? In France, you can opt for a termination (if the infection happens in the first 10 weeks) here, it's a little more complicated!
    If they find out that you've never been infected and you're not immune, you are advised to be extra careful with food and with regards to animals. They'll retest you several times after that to make sure you haven't been infected.
    Funnily enough, in my first pregnancy I was immune for toxoplasmosis but not for rubella (due to missed booster shots and not expecting to get pregnant). Doctor said it was unusual to see that combination in a western country!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Thanks MaryAnne having a bad day today. I finally reached the 12 week mark yet still vomiting everyday and just feel like it will never end. I'm having a scan this week so hopefully that will cheer me up and I'll stop feeling sorry for myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pink One

I'm only going to drink the odd glass of wine up until I can start telling people, to try to put people off the scent. Christmas is one of those awkward times when you're being offered drinks left, right and centre. I'm going to a hen party on Saturday and I'll have to drink a glass or two to 'fit in' but that's all I'll be having. I definitely won't be having anything to drink in the latter stages of the pregnancy. I would never forgive myself if something happened. I'm a lightweight and even a glass of wine would go straight for me. I would be stumbling all over the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

I'm open to correction here but as far as I know it's more risky drinking in the early stages of pregnancy than later as that's when all the vital development is happening. I personally won't drink at all and it's not a big deal to me. I've been out many times since I found out and have 7up or ginger ale etc and tell people there's vodka etc in it. Noone has questioned it. You don't HAVE to drink to fit in but if you choose to that's your choice and that's OK.

Pink One wrote: »
    I'm only going to drink the odd glass of wine up until I can start telling people, to try to put people off the scent. Christmas is one of those awkward times when you're being offered drinks left, right and centre. I'm going to a hen party on Saturday and I'll have to drink a glass or two to 'fit in' but that's all I'll be having. I definitely won't be having anything to drink in the latter stages of the pregnancy. I would never forgive myself if something happened. I'm a lightweight and even a glass of wine would go straight for me. I would be stumbling all over the shop!
    Well some advice is needed despite misgivings couple of posts above. I had exactly the same misconceptions. Drinking in early stages is actually worse because main development happens then. An odd glass of wine shouldn't do any harm anyway but if you intend staying away from alcohol out of precaution now is the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Pink One wrote: »

Yeah generally if it's too early to tell people it's also too early in the pregnancy to be drinking ! (murphy's law eh)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pink One

Lucuma wrote: »
    Yeah generally if it's too early to tell people it's also too early in the pregnancy to be drinking ! (murphy's law eh)

I had a few drinks in the early stages of my last pregnancy and I had a beautiful, bouncy healthy baby. I eat healthily and plan on keeping up a good exercise regime. To me it would more the transition of going from drinking when I like to having zilch is the hard bit. The odd tipple will not do your baby any harm. Each to their own but I'm not going to get hysterical about it.

Advertisement