Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone drink?

Options

Comments

Pink One wrote: »
    I had a few drinks in the early stages of my last pregnancy and I had a beautiful, bouncy healthy baby. I eat healthily and plan on keeping up a good exercise regime. To me it would more the transition of going from drinking when I like to having zilch is the hard bit. The odd tipple will not do your baby any harm. Each to their own but I'm not going to get hysterical about it.

My mother used almost force me to drink Guinness because I couldn't tolerate the iron tablets! That and liver, broccoli and spinach. Mind you, it was almost 30 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

There's no iron in Guinness anyway! And now liver is out because there's too much vitamin a or something in it.

lazygal wrote: »
    There's no iron in Guinness anyway! And now liver is out because there's too much vitamin a or something in it.

As I said it was almost 30 years ago! Old wives tales! I think it's Vitamin A liver is high in, which can be harmful to the developing foetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Pink One wrote:
    I had a few drinks in the early stages of my last pregnancy and I had a beautiful, bouncy healthy baby. I eat healthily and plan on keeping up a good exercise regime. To me it would more the transition of going from drinking when I like to having zilch is the hard bit. The odd tipple will not do your baby any harm. Each to their own but I'm not going to get hysterical about it.

Me too. I was actually very drunk at my Christmas do last year and fairly on it Christmas day.
    The shock I got 2 days after Christmas when I found out I was pregnant.
    I read that in the early stages the placenta isn't formed so its not as bad as it could've been later on. No idea if that's true or not though. I read it on boards!
    My little girl is 14 weeks now happy and healthy

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Me too. I was actually very drunk at my Christmas do last year and fairly on it Christmas day.
    The shock I got 2 days after Christmas when I found out I was pregnant.
    I read that in the early stages the placenta isn't formed so its not as bad as it could've been later on. No idea if that's true or not though. I read it on boards!
    My little girl is 14 weeks now happy and healthy

I think it might be that before 7 weeks that might be the case, whereby the embryo is nourished by the sac, and not the mother's bloodstream but I'm not a doctor and people should always talk to one first and foremost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I had one of the tiny bottles of wine the other night while having a dinner party and added 7up to make it a spritzer. Will do the same for Christmas dinner..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

i was so mad at my husband for banning me from eating a jambon during last week... (apparently deli food is bad???)

These were my pregnancy craving :-) had them all the time lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Don't smoke and don't agree with pregnant women smoking either. With poor research on fetal alcohol syndrome in that experts just don't know how much alcohol is enough to cause problems im not drinking not a drop.I simply couldn't live with the guilt if me needing a glass of wine ( which is probably one of the worst choices due to alcohol strength) caused my babies any harm. Do I judge? no because I think any harm that might come from a mother's behaviour when pregnant will be hers to look after forever no need for me to judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Here in France, it's one of the first blood tests you get in pregnancy, along with things like rubella immunity, syphilis, iron levels etc. Isn't it done automatically in Ireland?
    olaola wrote: »
    Ahhh! I was thinking. I did read a paper about that. Nope, it's not mentioned here at all. I did bring it up with my GP last time, but not sure how I'd go about it! That paper is interesting, and the conclusions are very relevant to what's happening here at the moment! What happens if you do find out? In France, you can opt for a termination (if the infection happens in the first 10 weeks) here, it's a little more complicated!

I don't know about the antibodies test but the others are automatically done in Ireland. I had tests on each pregnancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I just remembered there is a champagne substitute for children/recovering alcoholics/pregnant women here in France, called Champomy!
    It's made from apples, it's fizzy, the bottle looks like a champagne bottle and it's the same colour as champagne so you do your toast like everyone else! I just put it one my shopping list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm not much of a drinker, but I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 10 weeks along and by that time had been to a funeral and had a few drinks, a birthday and had a few drinks and was on a skiing holiday and had a few drinks. Actually went and bought the test on hols and skied every day too.

After that if we were out for dinner I might have a sip of my husbands glass of wine but never had a full glass, nor had any cravings to. I had a harder time avoiding blue cheese and pate, and prawns when out - I did cook prawns a few times myself at home though. Didn't avoid mayo or meats, but I would rarely if ever get a roll at a deli counter anyway. I limited tuna to once every couple of weeks and although I used to have a cup of milky coffee every morning I switched to decaf but then just switched to tea instead.

I probably felt I was already at a bit of a risk as I was 41 getting pregnant and giving birth so didn't want to take any chances. I was induced around my due date and on the induction ward there was a girl that was in because she had a blood clot and was on constant monitoring. She wasn't allowed outside the ward unless she was in a wheelchair so kept calling her friends to come in to push her outside so she could have a cigarette:mad:. She also took solpadeine that she had in her bag for a toothache because the panadol that the midwife gave her wasn't strong enough. She wasn't even 30 weeks and was putting that poor baby through so many risks. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I'm not much of a drinker, but I didn't find out I was pregnant until I was 10 weeks along and by that time had been to a funeral and had a few drinks, a birthday and had a few drinks and was on a skiing holiday and had a few drinks. Actually went and bought the test on hols and skied every day too.

After that if we were out for dinner I might have a sip of my husbands glass of wine but never had a full glass, nor had any cravings to. I had a harder time avoiding blue cheese and pate, and prawns when out - I did cook prawns a few times myself at home though. Didn't avoid mayo or meats, but I would rarely if ever get a roll at a deli counter anyway. I limited tuna to once every couple of weeks and although I used to have a cup of milky coffee every morning I switched to decaf but then just switched to tea instead.

I probably felt I was already at a bit of a risk as I was 41 getting pregnant and giving birth so didn't want to take any chances. I was induced around my due date and on the induction ward there was a girl that was in because she had a blood clot and was on constant monitoring. She wasn't allowed outside the ward unless she was in a wheelchair so kept calling her friends to come in to push her outside so she could have a cigarette:mad:. She also took solpadeine that she had in her bag for a toothache because the panadol that the midwife gave her wasn't strong enough. She wasn't even 30 weeks and was putting that poor baby through so many risks. :mad:

I took Solpadine during my last pregnancy. I had SPD quite badly and sometimes it was the only way I could get through the day. I had it from 8 weeks and at times the pain was so bad.
    Since that pregnancy I developed RA and my consultant (obstetrician not rheumatologist) has told me that if I get a flare up I can take Solpadine for the pain but in no way at all was I to take Neurofen or other anti inflammatories.
    It is a risk but often during pregnancy its about balancing the risks. An inflammatory illness itself makes the pregnancy more risky, not managing it makes things even more difficult so you take the least worst option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I took Solpadine during my last pregnancy. I had SPD quite badly and sometimes it was the only way I could get through the day. I had it from 8 weeks and at times the pain was so bad.
    Since that pregnancy I developed RA and my consultant (obstetrician not rheumatologist) has told me that if I get a flare up I can take Solpadine for the pain but in no way at all was I to take Neurofen or other anti inflammatories.
    It is a risk but often during pregnancy its about balancing the risks. An inflammatory illness itself makes the pregnancy more risky, not managing it makes things even more difficult so you take the least worst option.

But you wouldn't have taken solpadeine on top of a dose of panadol against the advice of medical staff. She was also getting injections for her blood clot so perhaps this was interfering with it? Once it's been ok'd by your doctor it's ok, it's just this girl seemed determined to do her own thing (smoking and overmedicating) whilst nowhere near full term.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Couchkitten

On my first pregnancy I had a small glass of wine every now and again. As there is no evidence that this level of alcohol causes any harm. This time wine tastes like vinegar to me so I've had nothing at all. Some people here seem to be following American food guidelines. Different foods are risky in different countries. You can eat cold meat or smoked fish for example. I just follow what it says on th.e nhs website because it is very clear and explains a lot about soft cheese as not all are "banned"

We don't know the life experiences or the situations of these mothers breaking the "rules". I'm not going to smugly judge from from my high horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Last pregnancy and again this time, I've had a glass to a glass and a half of wine on about 4/5 occasions. Never in the first 12 weeks and not usually in the last 8 (although that's more me panicking about having a drink in me if I went into premature labour).

Re the op's question about what is being recommended, my GP told me the odd glass was fine but I should avoid in first trimester. The biggest variance has been in over the counter medication... I've had lots of colds/sinus problems this time and I was told not to take anything/take paracetamol as much as I needed/only take exputex.... It's varied loads. I listened to the first doc who told me to avoid taking anything only to end up near pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I just follow what it says on th.e nhs website because it is very clear and explains a lot about soft cheese as not all are "banned"

NHS website is great! Stilton is IN (yeaow!) And you can freeze Parma ham for 3 days and then eat it. Deligh-re :)

olaola wrote: »
    NHS website is great! Stilton is IN (yeaow!) And you can freeze Parma ham for 3 days and then eat it. Deligh-re :)

I know - I have been eating feta cheese with delight since I read it

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

I had a glass of wine on Christmas day (11 + 4). I had another on Saturday night (16 + 5), but was only able for half a glass both times. The first one didn't taste that good, this time, it tasted lovely, but I just didn't fancy any more than half a glass when it was in front of me (much to the amazement of my pals, who are used to seeing me polish off ALL the wine, when not pregnant!)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jbubs

On my first pregnancy someone in work approached me about having shellac on my nails, said it was unhealthy for the baby and why would I do that. I can feel my BP rising now even thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Just had my first drink on this pregnancy last night. Half a glass of white wine. I'm 18 weeks tomorrow. Didn't really enjoy it. Actually think the 2 mocktails I had tonight were nicer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I haven't had any alcohol nor do I want to. I don't miss it. I didn't drink much before I got pregnant, so it doesn't bother me not to have it now. I don't even care about drinking after the baby comes!

Each to their own, but I personally would prefer not to drink at the moment.

Jbubs wrote: »
    On my first pregnancy someone in work approached me about having shellac on my nails, said it was unhealthy for the baby and why would I do that. I can feel my BP rising now even thinking about it.

So annoying. Suddenly you are public property. Someone asked me today if I was "allowed" to be drinking coffee. While I was drinking coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

My mother told me not to dye my hair cos she read online that Kate Middleton hadn't dyed hers while pregnant. Took a deep breath and changed the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I haven't had any alcohol nor do I want to. I don't miss it. I didn't drink much before I got pregnant, so it doesn't bother me not to have it now. I don't even care about drinking after the baby comes!

Each to their own, but I personally would prefer not to drink at the moment.

Yeah we were watching the sun set and I thought feck it, I'll have a glass. Wasn't worth it really! I don't drink much at all when not pregnant anyway so like you haven't missed it.
    My sister and her husband were/ are heavy drinkers. She drank a fair amount during her pregnancy. Never got drunk I don't think, but a glass or two of wine twice a week. She found it very hard to go cold turkey so she didn't. She couldn't handle being around people who were drinking either. The weekend after her boy was born she went out clubbing lol! Don't know where she found the energy!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Before I got pregnant with my son we had a very hectic social life! Work hard play hard was our motto:D I didn't miss alcohol at all during my pregnancy. I attempted a glass of wine at about 4 months as it was a special occasion. I couldn't drink more than a few sips. It just didn't sit well with me. The heavy social life went out the window with our new baby and our new going out was staying in with a nice bottle of wine or a couple of craft beers.

So now I am 12 weeks pregnant with number 2 and I really miss our Friday night glass of wine/beer. For me personally I wouldn't enjoy a drink so I just don't bother, but wow do I miss it this time round!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,908 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    My mother told me not to dye my hair cos she read online that Kate Middleton hadn't dyed hers while pregnant. Took a deep breath and changed the subject.

LOL! If she says it again, tell her you're sure Kate Middleton didn't dye her hair when she was pregnant.....she had someone else dye it for her! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

cant26 wrote: »
    So now I am 12 weeks pregnant with number 2 and I really miss our Friday night glass of wine/beer. For me personally I wouldn't enjoy a drink so I just don't bother, but wow do I miss it this time round!!

I was the same I missed it more on my second pregnancy! I think the glass of wine on a Friday night represented an hour of "me" time in a hectic week. I did have one glass of wine on Christmas day the second time around - I was 36 weeks pregnant and had all the in-laws and my own family over and it had been a long day on my feet cooking and serving everyone. When my lot went home and the in laws sat down in front of the TV for the night I sat in the kitchen on my own and had a lovely cold glass of white wine and it was gorgeous!

I'm breastfeeding now so I'm still on the dry for another while! It's short in the scheme of things!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm breastfeeding now so I'm still on the dry for another while!

The trick to drinking while breastfeeding is START imbibing while the baby is at the breast... give you maximum drinking time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Drinking while breastfeeding is fine. There's newer research showing the transfer of alcohol to breast milk is so low it isn't really of concern. It's still miles better than formula no matter what.

• Advertisement

Yes I drank while breastfeeding. Alcohol doesn't pass into your milk directly so baby is only getting tiny amounts of alcohol so I'd feel much more comfortable about drinking.

Advertisement