Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking club Week 1: Flapjacks

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Not much of a cook
    you don't have to be to make these.

Go on. Gather up the ingredients and give them a go.

I burnt my first effort, but that didn't stop me trying again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

kerash wrote: »
    thank you khannie! Delicious flapjacks and I made use of left over flaked almonds, dried mango, glace cherries, raisins and delicious chocolate :pac:

They look win.
    smashey wrote: »
    Khannie, your flapjacks with Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate on top = one big win. :)

Yeah, very partial to the oul' dairy milk myself. Might try that at the weekend. *slurp*

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Des wrote: »
    you don't have to be to make these.

Go on. Gather up the ingredients and give them a go.

I burnt my first effort, but that didn't stop me trying again.

Definitely will! Shall include photographs too.

Piste wrote: »
    Would milled flaxseed be a good thing to add to flapjacks, as in would it mix well?

Missed this earlier. I'd say it would be good, yeah. I had oat bran in mine and that worked out grand. Nuts / seeds are generally good for adding to flapjacks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

BTW folks. Adding a rating to this thread and the main Cooking Club thread will highlight it on the forum and may encourage other users to join in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

BTW folks. Adding a rating to this thread and the main Cooking Club thread will highlight it on the forum and may encourage other users to join in.
    Banned. :D

Please contact hello@boards.ie if you wish to advertise. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

smashey wrote: »
    Banned. :D

Please contact hello@boards.ie if you wish to advertise. :pac:

Bloody admins stepping on Mods toes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Shurrup Des.:D

101512.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Recently tried out a recipe from an Annabel Karmel cookbook for chocolate puddings served with a chocolate sauce on top- and the chocolate sauce ingredients are- chocolate ( doh!), butter, golden syrup, brown sugar and cream- and it makes the most delicious fudgy chocolate sauce- gorgeous over a pudding or ice-cream. Can post the recipe for anyone who needs to use up left over golden syrup, brown sugar, butter and chocolate ( ;) )...It's really simple too- just chuck them in a saucepan and heat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm off to get ingredients for these.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Wantobe wrote: »
    Recently tried out a recipe from an Annabel Karmel cookbook for chocolate puddings served with a chocolate sauce on top- and the chocolate sauce ingredients are- chocolate ( doh!), butter, golden syrup, brown sugar and cream- and it makes the most delicious fudgy chocolate sauce- gorgeous over a pudding or ice-cream. Can post the recipe for anyone who needs to use up left over golden syrup, brown sugar, butter and chocolate ( ;) )...It's really simple too- just chuck them in a saucepan and heat.

oh please post the recipe for this, the thought of it is even making my mouth water!! going to try the flapjacks again Sunday

I'm off to get ingredients for these.

Ok, just popped these in the oven. They don't seem to be holding together as much as I expected. Here's hoping!

Ok, just popped these in the oven. They don't seem to be holding together as much as I expected. Here's hoping!

Well, mine just fell apart in the oven.

*sigh*

Yeah, they don't really bind until they cool down. What did you put them in when baking?

Khannie wrote: »
    Yeah, they don't really bind until they cool down. What did you put them in when baking?

I mixed all the stuff in the pot, then popped them in the tray and straight in the oven. Should I let them cool first?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I mixed all the stuff in the pot, then popped them in the tray and straight in the oven. Should I let them cool first?

They won't bind before they go in the oven. When they come out of the oven, give them a minute or two to bind a small bit, and then cut them. But leave them in the tray until they cool completely and then take them out and eat!

After seeing this thread I decided to make them again. I melted some orange chocolate and put that over the top. They're pretty good.

I'd made them before using a different recipe and they were nothing but crunchy crumbs trying to stick together. This time they were much more together.

No pictures though I'm afraid.

They won't bind before they go in the oven. When they come out of the oven, give them a minute or two to bind a small bit, and then cut them. But leave them in the tray until they cool completely and then take them out and eat!

After seeing this thread I decided to make them again. I melted some orange chocolate and put that over the top. They're pretty good.

I'd made them before using a different recipe and they were nothing but crunchy crumbs trying to stick together. This time they were much more together.

No pictures though I'm afraid.

No, mine fell apart in the oven. Anyway, I gave it a second go, and I increased the goo input and it seems to be holding.

No, mine fell apart in the oven. Anyway, I gave it a second go, and I increased the goo input and it seems to be holding.

Did you flatten it out in the tin? Pack it together? Was the tin too big etc?

Did you flatten it out in the tin? Pack it together? Was the tin too big etc?

I didn't make the big biscuit, and I didn't use enough goo, it seems.

I didn't make the big biscuit, and I didn't use enough goo, it seems.

The big biscuit is seeping quite a lot, similar to last time. I took it out of the oven, and pushed it all back towards to centre again. More or less over the halfway stage here. Did this happen with anyone else?

• Advertisement

The big biscuit is seeping quite a lot, similar to last time. I took it out of the oven, and pushed it all back towards to centre again. More or less over the halfway stage here. Did this happen with anyone else?

Yeah, the sugar melts so it spreads out if the tin is too big. Happened to me the first time, this time I used a tin just the right size to pack it all in.

Yeah, the sugar melts so it spreads out if the tin is too big. Happened to me the first time, this time I used a tin just the right size to pack it all in.

This is the only suitable tin I have. The whole thing just collapsed again, so I must abort mission, again.

Booo.

This is the only suitable tin I have. The whole thing just collapsed again, so I must abort mission, again.

Booo.

Just make more ;)

No way. I propose a ban on baking for next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

oh please post the recipe for this, the thought of it is even making my mouth water!! going to try the flapjacks again Sunday

The sauce is 100g plain chocolate, 4 tbsp soft light brown sugar, 2 tbsp golden syrup, 20g butter and 200ml double cream. Bung in a saucepan and heat gently until smooth. Yummy. It makes too much so I usually keep half in the fridge and use later. I guess you could freeze it but mine usually doesn't last long enough. If anyone is interested in teh choc puddings, let me know- they are freakishly easy too. I make them in little ramikans ( a good way to use the ones you get in the likes of m&s with posh choc mousse in- where I collected mine), serve with a scoop of vanilla icecream and the sauce flicked around the plate and it looks like a major effort ( when it is sooo easy).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have mah oats and will be baking tomorrow. \o/

Anyway, here is my sad effort:

33jl4df.jpg

They are less well-structured than they appear.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ok lads I'm gonna do it, and try and make them lower fat by using margarine and egg white instead of butter (though if there's no marg in the fridge it'll have to be pure creamery butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Piste wrote: »
    Ok lads I'm gonna do it, and try and make them lower fat by using margarine and egg white instead of butter (though if there's no marg in the fridge it'll have to be pure creamery butter.

Just do the full fat version and eat less. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Wont work, it's all or nothing ;) they're in the pot now, what should the consistency be like? I'm wondering if I need to add anything else for binding

Advertisement