Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2010 Cooking club Week 1: Flapjacks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭MissMotivated

Wantobe wrote: »
    Recently tried out a recipe from an Annabel Karmel cookbook for chocolate puddings served with a chocolate sauce on top- and the chocolate sauce ingredients are- chocolate ( doh!), butter, golden syrup, brown sugar and cream- and it makes the most delicious fudgy chocolate sauce- gorgeous over a pudding or ice-cream. Can post the recipe for anyone who needs to use up left over golden syrup, brown sugar, butter and chocolate ( ;) )...It's really simple too- just chuck them in a saucepan and heat.

oh please post the recipe for this, the thought of it is even making my mouth water!! going to try the flapjacks again Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

I'm off to get ingredients for these.

Ok, just popped these in the oven. They don't seem to be holding together as much as I expected. Here's hoping!

Ok, just popped these in the oven. They don't seem to be holding together as much as I expected. Here's hoping!

Well, mine just fell apart in the oven.

*sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Yeah, they don't really bind until they cool down. What did you put them in when baking?

Khannie wrote: »
    Yeah, they don't really bind until they cool down. What did you put them in when baking?

I mixed all the stuff in the pot, then popped them in the tray and straight in the oven. Should I let them cool first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I mixed all the stuff in the pot, then popped them in the tray and straight in the oven. Should I let them cool first?

They won't bind before they go in the oven. When they come out of the oven, give them a minute or two to bind a small bit, and then cut them. But leave them in the tray until they cool completely and then take them out and eat!

After seeing this thread I decided to make them again. I melted some orange chocolate and put that over the top. They're pretty good.

I'd made them before using a different recipe and they were nothing but crunchy crumbs trying to stick together. This time they were much more together.

No pictures though I'm afraid.

They won't bind before they go in the oven. When they come out of the oven, give them a minute or two to bind a small bit, and then cut them. But leave them in the tray until they cool completely and then take them out and eat!

After seeing this thread I decided to make them again. I melted some orange chocolate and put that over the top. They're pretty good.

I'd made them before using a different recipe and they were nothing but crunchy crumbs trying to stick together. This time they were much more together.

No pictures though I'm afraid.

No, mine fell apart in the oven. Anyway, I gave it a second go, and I increased the goo input and it seems to be holding.

No, mine fell apart in the oven. Anyway, I gave it a second go, and I increased the goo input and it seems to be holding.

Did you flatten it out in the tin? Pack it together? Was the tin too big etc?

Did you flatten it out in the tin? Pack it together? Was the tin too big etc?

I didn't make the big biscuit, and I didn't use enough goo, it seems.

I didn't make the big biscuit, and I didn't use enough goo, it seems.

The big biscuit is seeping quite a lot, similar to last time. I took it out of the oven, and pushed it all back towards to centre again. More or less over the halfway stage here. Did this happen with anyone else?

• Advertisement

The big biscuit is seeping quite a lot, similar to last time. I took it out of the oven, and pushed it all back towards to centre again. More or less over the halfway stage here. Did this happen with anyone else?

Yeah, the sugar melts so it spreads out if the tin is too big. Happened to me the first time, this time I used a tin just the right size to pack it all in.

Yeah, the sugar melts so it spreads out if the tin is too big. Happened to me the first time, this time I used a tin just the right size to pack it all in.

This is the only suitable tin I have. The whole thing just collapsed again, so I must abort mission, again.

Booo.

This is the only suitable tin I have. The whole thing just collapsed again, so I must abort mission, again.

Booo.

Just make more ;)

No way. I propose a ban on baking for next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

oh please post the recipe for this, the thought of it is even making my mouth water!! going to try the flapjacks again Sunday

The sauce is 100g plain chocolate, 4 tbsp soft light brown sugar, 2 tbsp golden syrup, 20g butter and 200ml double cream. Bung in a saucepan and heat gently until smooth. Yummy. It makes too much so I usually keep half in the fridge and use later. I guess you could freeze it but mine usually doesn't last long enough. If anyone is interested in teh choc puddings, let me know- they are freakishly easy too. I make them in little ramikans ( a good way to use the ones you get in the likes of m&s with posh choc mousse in- where I collected mine), serve with a scoop of vanilla icecream and the sauce flicked around the plate and it looks like a major effort ( when it is sooo easy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I have mah oats and will be baking tomorrow. \o/

Anyway, here is my sad effort:

33jl4df.jpg

They are less well-structured than they appear.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ok lads I'm gonna do it, and try and make them lower fat by using margarine and egg white instead of butter (though if there's no marg in the fridge it'll have to be pure creamery butter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Piste wrote: »
    Ok lads I'm gonna do it, and try and make them lower fat by using margarine and egg white instead of butter (though if there's no marg in the fridge it'll have to be pure creamery butter.

Just do the full fat version and eat less. :pac:

• Advertisement

Wont work, it's all or nothing ;) they're in the pot now, what should the consistency be like? I'm wondering if I need to add anything else for binding

In my experience, the mix is kind of sticky, but not very. So you either must put it all in a dish which will fit, to avoid it migrating, or you must take it out every 5 mins and pack it back towards the centre.

However, this stage just seems to be about cooking the oats, once the mixture begins to cool it binds very rapidly. You can aid the process by bathing the baking tray in cold water in the sink, and then when it is hard enough, put it in the fridge to finally cool it fully.

Ok they seem to have turned out nicely- a lovely golden colour, maybe a little darker than others because I used half and half muscavado and demarera.

I tweaked the recipe a little, adding a dessertspoon of flaxseed and a dessertspoon of soya lecithin. It's probably only tiny amounts divided between the whole batch, but it makes me feel slightly better about the butter.

I used about half and half butter and flora, now that they've cooled they seem to be nice and firm and not soft, which is something I'd been worried might happen.

Instead of golden syrup I used two tablespoons of maple-syrup flavoured golden syrup to ad an extra richness.

I threw in some shopped glacé cherries, a handful of raisins and some flaked almonds. The Oat were 50% flahavans oats and 50% flahavans porridge with cranberries and apple. I lightly dusted a bit of mixed spice over the whole batch before I popped it in the oven.

So far I've tasted the crumble bits that were left in the tray and they're pretty yummy, so I'm looking forward to my flapjack snack tomorrow mid-morning.

I took some pictures, but I can't find the cable for either my phone or camera so can't upload them just wait, soon though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Gave these a go last evening with unsalted butter and some raisins. Thought the mixture was a little on the dry side so I added a bit more butter. Put the mix in the oven for 15 mins and it got quite burnt around the edges, I knew I should have just tried 10! They were grand once they solidified. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I'm just about to start making these. I was going to use my own recipe but can't find it so will use this. I'll post up pictures when I am done!:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Mine didn't take too long. Keep an eye on them in the oven.

• Advertisement

Mine are in the oven. I doubled up on the recipe, which was great fun considering I don't have weighing scales. (Mine are in Dublin.) Luckily I'm fairly good at measuring by eye. I also used a round tin as my square ones are with the weighing scales in Dublin. I'm going to put some Dairy Milk on top and if I can find the cable to connect my phone to the computer I will post a picture. (If they look alright! :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I made these Thurs night. The turned out ok I'm afraid. Next time I'd use either less oats or more butter. I added choc chips that needed to be used to the mix and some chopped frozen raspberries and they were a nice addition. I'll definitely do them again. I have to say my doggie loved them and at least I know he's get a bit of nutrition from them!

Mine are done. They came out perfectly and are delicious.

flapjacks.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 goldylees

if i want to make the lowest fat batch of flapjacks possible can i use ALL flora extra light spread instead of butter and ALL splenda instead of sugar.....or will this just REALLY not work! :P if not, does anyone have an idea for a low fat recipe for flapjacks???:):):cool::cool::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Mine are done. Doubled the quantitiy of the recipe, and then added an extra 1 and a half tablespoons of golden syrup. I also used cadburys chocolate and for half of them I added the zest of an orange and a drop of orange juice to the chocolate. Delicious. I love this cooking club idea.:)

Anyway here is a picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Made these last night must stick up a pic in the morning, quite tasty too! :D

They turned out delicious and crunchy. Had one before going to work and was full right up until my break, will definitely be making these again :)

17361_242590237780_511677780_3321548_619549_n.jpg

17361_242583872780_511677780_3321535_4372605_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Mine are in the oven as we speak!

Started to burn so took them out. They are too wet, haven't stuck together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Started to burn so took them out. They are too wet, haven't stuck together.

They'll set as they cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,513 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Doubled the mixture. Used raisins and a touch of cinnamon. Went with the smaller amount of sugar rather than 75g x 2. Yum!

flapjacks.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Right got a pic so here they are going down well at home anyway, didnt add anything preferred them as they were, might next time though...

101995.jpg

Des wrote: »
    They'll set as they cool.

Left them for 15 minutes and they set around the centre but most of it just flaked away when tried to take them up. Tasty if not whole!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Left them for 15 minutes and they set around the centre but most of it just flaked away when tried to take them up. Tasty if not whole!

need to leave them longer than that, left mine for over an hour while the chocolate cool were fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭georgem25

Made these today, didnt have weighing scales but they turned out lovely.

I will be trying these again soon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Made these with sultanas, dried apricots, and some ground almonds. Coated the bottom/sides of them in dark choc with a choc coated almond on top. Really nice with a cup of tea :)

Phwoar, they look delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

We have a new winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Made these with sultanas, dried apricots, and some ground almonds. Coated the bottom/sides of them in dark choc with a choc coated almond on top. Really nice with a cup of tea :)

Now thats posh!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

Tried the original recipe but used Maple syrup instead of golden, delicious, haven't eaten flap jacks in years, will be making again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Just made these, used muscavado light brown sugar as that was all I had, and added a fistful of coconut (kinda obsessed) and they are gorgeous!!! Lil over cooked but I will know for next time :):) Pic is from a phone as don't have camera lead!!!

rdWieeoMJzVspgNXPRrqdg?authkey=Gv1sRgCPWL_M74tK2F7gE&feat=directlink

Gonna try the brown bread tomorrow :)

Ours disappeared quickly. Damn you, Khannie. :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Decided to give these a go, despite the fact that I've probably only ever baked anything about twice before in my life. janeybabe teased me with her's and this prompted me to try them myself, and I have to say I'm well chuffed with the results. I used maple syrup instead of golden syrup, partially because I love the stuff and partially because I just bought a new bottle today. I probably should have added a bit more, or maybe a drop of golden syrup as well because they're not quite as chewy as I would have liked. I also threw in some chopped roasted hazlenuts. Next time it'll be coconut as I reckon that will add more flavour than the hazlenuts. My attempts at artistic drizzling of the chocolate were not entirely successful, but it gives them a nice home made look. Or something like that. :D

img0041small.jpg

I am genuinely impressed, Zaph. Well done. :) They look NYOM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Funny story...I was in the middle of making a 2nd batch when my wife went into labour. :) I'm up now with the bundle of joy and decided to make a 3rd batch.

Advertisement